Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router / Port Forwarding / External access

Options
  • 26-07-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Edit - i really apologise for posting this as I'm sure it gets asked a lot, but I've tried everything and the issue persists... am willing to pay someone if they can fix at this stage.

I have a couple of IP Cameras on my home network, and recently switched from a local provider (multiple static IP addresses so everything was easy -) to Eircom.

No internal issues but I've lost the ability to externally view the IP Cameras.

I've tried Port forwarding, as suggested in the below threads.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67122615#post67122615
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055820986&page=3

Mapped the ports (tried 80, 8080, random number) mapped to my ipcams which are 192.168.1.104 and 192.168.1.105
    Turned off the firewall, rebooted

But I still cannot see the cameras externally, in fact, no matter what I do, I cannot view the ports as being open from testing at http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

I'm a beaten docket at this stage, have spent hours at it to no avail, if anyone is a networking guru I will be forever in your debt? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Try setting up a dynamic dns name via dyndns.org or similar http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/connect-home-network-dyndns/
    In that way it will follow your IP address if it changes.
    In your router map the external port 8080 for example to 8080 on your first camera and 8081 to 8081 on your second camera
    then go to the dns name you setup plus port 8080
    dnsname.org:8080 and dnsname.org:8081

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I'm not even getting as far as worrying about DDNS.

When I try to access the Ip camera using the "WAN IP: PORT" I cannot see that port as being open.

So basically, I cannot force this router to even open the ports no matter what I do.

Next problem would be DDNS but there are other devices on my network that would take care of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Would it be worth your while remoting into a machine on the network and veiwing the cameras through that machine? as a work around?

Hijpo wrote: »
    Would it be worth your while remoting into a machine on the network and veiwing the cameras through that machine? as a work around?

Thanks, I thought about that, but my work connection doesn't allow outbound vpn/ vnc (tight security here), and I wanted to view them from my iphone (app specific), so that seems to be out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

I'm not even getting as far as worrying about DDNS.

When I try to access the Ip camera using the "WAN IP: PORT" I cannot see that port as being open.

So basically, I cannot force this router to even open the ports no matter what I do.

Next problem would be DDNS but there are other devices on my network that would take care of that.

The reason I suggested dyndns is because your IP address could be changing, if you are sure of your external IP address then you should be able to get to the cameras

• Advertisement

I know, and I appreciate the suggestion.
    I was doing all of this having checked th external IP address of the router, so that wasn't the issue. Thanks.

I'm at a dead end now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Are you forwarding UDP or TCP traffic?

I tried both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

As a test, try set up a DMZ to one of the cameras, and then see if it's working.

No option to setup a DMZ on this piece of **** router

• Advertisement

What modem were you using previously?

Previously I had a linksys wrt54g running tomato firmware, but I had a couple of static ip addresses, so I was able to assign a static external IP to each IP Camera and I had no issues.

Previously I had a linksys wrt54g running tomato firmware, but I had a couple of static ip addresses, so I was able to assign a static external IP to each IP Camera and I had no issues.

with what modem?

roast wrote: »

with what modem?

A generic ISP provided card that was mounted on my chimney. No clue what spec it was but I had a couple of public static ip addresses.

Advertisement