Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SD Cameras???

• 26-07-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question...
    What is the overall view on the use of SD cameras for weddings, sporting events, corporate etc....

In particular, I'm looking at the Canon XL's.

It seems that a lot of videographers are still using them.
    Or are clients screaming out for HD nowadays.

Thanks,

IM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

In the market that's there I think you're best off sticking with HD. Future proof your investment. SD may be cheaper but on a big wide screen tv it'll look gack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

A big % of stuff is still delivered in Standard Def, but as has been said if you record in SD well thats as much as you can do, so if someone wants stuff in HD your sunk!! you cant uprez or anything from SD.
    My stuff is all HD even tho for the most part i'm delivering on DVD. But i do have the facility to burn to Blue Ray or to provide HD footage on removable flash media, this is much more flexible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Thanks for the replies folks.

Pretty much what I was thinking alright.
    I know the best thing would be to invest in a decent HD but I can't help but be tempted by the option of getting two Canons for the same price.

Any recommendations on a 2nd hand HD (€1000-1500)?

Cheers,

IM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

nothing wrong with the Canon XL although some people didn't like some of the features of them when they first came out!
    theres a Sony Z1 on Adverts for €1450, dont know if it's still for sale. I use all Solid State so much easier to share SD cards between cams and DSLRs

i use a Sony HXR-MC2000E for B Roll, it's not the brightest spark in Sony's lineup but not a bad cam, you could hand to virtually anyone and put it on full auto and they'd get a lot of useful footage from it!
    you'd probably pick up a second hand one in the UK if you looked around.
    One thing to note if you do decide to get a AVCHD cam, make sure that your computer is powerful enough to edit AVCHD, if it isnt you'll really struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Cheers for the info Fionn.
    I'm using an iMac at the moment.
    The Z1 and the A1e were the cameras that I was also looking at.
    I think it may be the route to go alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement