Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog whinging on leash?

• 26-07-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

ive a jack russel terrier pup.8 months old.having a problem with his whinging.he's a house dog.but any time i put his harness on in the house he goes mad with whinging.and when i get out the door he barks and yelps like mad!the neighbours must think im beating him!!
    He whinges and yelps untill im about 5 mins away from home and then he's grand.and its not as if he never gets out either.he gets a walk 3 times a day and an hour play on the green.
    Anyone have any solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

How long are the walks that you bring him for 3 times a day? You may be over exercising him so he's probably tired and moaning that he doesn't want to go again but then when he realises he's out of the house and has no choice he just stops. The general rule for exercising pups is 5 mins per month a day, so at 8 months he should only be getting 40 mins exercise, and this would include playing in the green. Maybe tone down the exercise a bit and see does he seem a bit happier then when he gets to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Thanks for that.i may give it ago
    but its not whinging to stop,because he tries to bull the door out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My guess would be that when he sees the harness his mind goes into overdrive and he gets so overexcited that he ends up being anxious. My dog used to be like this, so what I started to do was but the lead on and make him sit by the door until he had calmed down, it will take a while but each time gets shorter. I would prefer to wait an hour and have in a calm state of mind than have him being anxious and rearing to go, it makes for a much more pleasurable walk for both if us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

He just sounds like a drama queen, dogs get terribly excited when they start out on their walk and puppies even more so, everything is still so new to them.
    3 times a day is fine as long as the walks aren't really really long, terriers are well able for walking and at 8 months he should be fine you'll know yourself if he's finding it difficult.

He should calm down on his own eventually, just ignore his antics, don't give him any extra attention when he acts up, pups hate being ignored more than anything so ignore the unwanted behaviour and praise the wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bannermaf

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    My guess would be that when he sees the harness his mind goes into overdrive and he gets so overexcited that he ends up being anxious. My dog used to be like this, so what I started to do was but the lead on and make him sit by the door until he had calmed down, it will take a while but each time gets shorter. I would prefer to wait an hour and have in a calm state of mind than have him being anxious and rearing to go, it makes for a much more pleasurable walk for both if us.

I have to agree with Meoklmrk91, this is the same method I've used on all of mine and it really works. The first couple of times may take ages, but the wait gets shorter and shorter and before you know it you have a dog who knows that drama never gets him what he wants. This goes for any excitement of the food bowl, or taking treats from your hand, etc.

I had a rescue pup who was constantly jumping up crazily and trying to knock the food bowl out of my hands in his desperation to get it. So I held the bowl firmly and stand there calmly until he finally gave up and sat down. Then he got his bowl. Only had to do it twice. Now whenever he sees the bowl he sits and waits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

My jack russel x is an awful whinger, its like his default setting. Anything exciting, scary or just slightly different and he crys and whines like a baby. I end up reassuring him like a small child, getting him to sit and waiting for it to pass, the big drama queen usually gets over it quite quickly.

Advertisement