Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the riskiest thing you have ever done?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Went tubing in Laos. 22 people died doing it last year, and more the previous year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Oh no, another magnet thread for replies like 'took a dump', 'yore ma', etc etc etc.

But anyway: riskiest thing I ever did was a bungee jump in Africa, attached by my ankles. Only found out later that several people had died doing same, and others had gone blind due to detached retina. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Going on the piss in a staunchly loyalist part of the north during the hight of the "troubles" all the time hiding my Cork accent, fucking brilliant and terrifying (and quite eye opening). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Driving a car to its limit a few times. Looking back it was just stupid.

There is some buzz though out of driving at 220kph :o

One false move though and your brown bread so yes not the most intelliegent thing to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Hoofball

staker wrote: »
    Went all in with a palace once,rent money and all-beaten by a straight flush! Hadn't seen it at all on the Board,guess that's what you get for playing southern cross middle card wild.

Assuming your definition of a palace is the same as mine, i.e. 5 cards the same (using wild cards obviously) then you should have actually won that hand. A palace is the highest hand you can have in wild card poker and it beats a royal flush, never mind a straight flush.

PS. want a game of cards? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Went robbing apples in a orchard as a young fella. Owner came out complete with shotgun and dogs. I got hit with a few pellets, lad with me took a dog bite to the knee (well his leg). The riskest thing about it was staying quiet and not letting it slip you were caught robbing, whether shot or not shot. Going to the hospital or squealing to the parent/guards back then meant you'd be in worser trouble. Ah, the good old days (kids are pussies nowadays).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

once put mentos into diet coke.

Risky sh1t that

i did that, but i ate them, the explosion in my stomach was pretty crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Fiona wrote: »

One false move though and your brown bread so yes not the most intelliegent thing to be doing.

140 mph on a motorbike ... more fun than in a cage ;)

In saying that i'd say 140mph in an M3 is cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

LLU wrote: »
    Oh no, another magnet thread for replies like 'took a dump', 'yore ma', etc etc etc.

But anyway: riskiest thing I ever did was a bungee jump in Africa, attached by my ankles. Only found out later that several people had died doing same, and others had gone blind due to detached retina. Never again.

As opposed to where else for a bungee jump? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

When I was in my late teens I was travelling around the US. My wallet was stolen on an overnight bus trip and so I had literally no money for about three days while waiting for some to be wired over.

In that time I had to hitchhike from the small town I was in over to a larger city where I could find a Western Union.

I was trying to hitch a lift out of a truck stop, but none of the truckers were allowed take passengers (company rules) so I found it very hard. I ended up staying the whole day in the truck stop, not able to get a lift.

A lot of the truckers stayed overnight in the truck stop in their cabs. One of the truckers said to me if I wanted to bunk in his cab to get some kip for the night. And since I was so tired, I did.

I often think since, that could have been the end of me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

All sorts of daftness, but on boring stats wise, probably smoking like a chimney for 20 years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Plazaman wrote: »
    Went robbing apples in a orchard as a young fella. Owner came out complete with shotgun and dogs. I got hit with a few pellets, lad with me took a dog bite to the knee (well his leg). The riskest thing about it was staying quiet and not letting it slip you were caught robbing, whether shot or not shot. Going to the hospital or squealing to the parent/guards back then meant you'd be in worser trouble. Ah, the good old days (kids are pussies nowadays).

Really? yer man would get a six month stretch for that today.

(and rightly so).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Did a tour around a Favela in Rio.

I did that one too - one of the many things I've done while either being either unaware of or willfully ignoring the risks. One of the lads has a picture of me somewhere holding up two huge bags of white powder. Now for all I know it was flour, but the fact that we were basically in a fortress and the amount of lads with guns that were around lead me to believe they were the real deal. The amount of people that are killed every year over that white powder.....

Summited Kilimanjaro while beginning to feel the effects of altitude sickness - should have took my ass back to base camp. Climbed a 'live' volcano in Ecuador, though tbh, I was probably in more danger stumbling home through gringolandia at 4am half blind on moonshine a few days later. Went on a 'shooting day' in the Ukraine that ended up being just me and a bunch of dodgy looking Russian guys in some woods in the middle of nowhere. Got caught in the middle of a couple of riots in Rio. Took my motorbike up past 160 before realising the tyre was worn right down to the steel belt. Took a trip to the Nordschleife where I repeatedly limited my car and spun it once. Later saw a video where lots of people rolled their car at the same corner at lower speeds and several people died. Spotted two dudes following us home through Prague city centre with huge knives on their belts. We had been planning on walking home but we jumped in a taxi instead.

I could go on, but most of the examples usually boil down to me being drunk off my ass and/or somewhere I really shouldn't be....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I jumped out of a perfectly good plane once, thankfully I remembered a parachute and instructor.

140 mph on a motorbike ... more fun than in a cage ;)

In saying that i'd say 140mph in an M3 is cool

Never been on a bike too afraid of them way to open for me.

Driving an M5 flat out was fun though. I know they go faster than 220kph but that was enough for me. Quit while your ahead!

• Advertisement

Never been on a bike too afraid of them way to open for me.

Driving an M5 flat out was fun though. I know they go faster than 220kph but that was enough for me. Quit while your ahead!

All you have to do is hold on Fi, it's that easy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

uch wrote: »
    Tried to ride a burd on a train platform once and a train pulled in before I'd finished, so I did'nt finish, and I've forgotten why I'm saying this ???

Should of tried harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Got on the London underground wearing a rucksack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Risqué rather than risky but way too many people have seen me in the nip due to a penchant for drunken-streaking when I was younger. :o I wasn't even trying to be slutty or show-off, I was just a bit of a hyper loo-la...

I swear!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Ms.M wrote: »
    Risqué rather than risky but way too many people have seen me in the nip due to a penchant for drunken-streaking when I was younger. :o I wasn't even trying to be slutty or show-off, I was just a bit of a hyper loo-la...

I swear!!!

That's how I got the nickname nips lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Take meds once a month that have 1,000 to one chance of giving me an incredible and purple fractal burning dishwasher.

Huh?

I swear!!!

Obv you've since given this up tho !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

kfallon wrote: »
    As opposed to where else for a bungee jump? :confused:

Your point being? :confused:

Obv you've since given this up tho !!!

I work in an all-boys secondary school.
    And I've got married.

Kind of had to... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Took a shortcut home through and got lost in the Bois Du Boulogne in Paris, I'd never read the Da Vinci Code. :P Recieved a few tempting offers, made friends with some Brazilian transsexuals and in the end got rescued by a Kazak who had chickened out of what he was there for. Still amazed that I survived, I think I was nearly murdered several times that night!

I work in an all-boys secondary school.
    And I've got married.

Kind of had to... :(

:confused::confused: one girl in an all boys school .. no study done there

All you have to do is hold on Fi, it's that easy..

And scream your head off!

:confused::confused: one girl in an all boys school .. no study done there

... As a teacher! :) I think you read "work in" as "went to". Lots of other females but no streakers to the best of my knowledge. Would be frowned upon.

And scream your head off!

Thats the best bet !!! you'd love it !

... As a teacher! :) I think you read "work in" as "went to". Lots of other females but no streakers to the best of my knowledge. Would be frowned upon.

Unfortunately so it seems..

I built a Jacuzzi. I know it does not sound risky and I only did it because doing it yourself is so unbelievably cheaper than getting people in to do it. I have no education in electrical engineering - did it all from DIY and enthusiast websites and the like. Even fitted in the option to connect MP3 players to it which would pump out music from speakers fitted around the outside rim of it.

Worked out fine but I can tell you putting my toe in it the first time and expecting to electrocute myself to death felt pretty much like I imagine it must feel just before you do DIY dentistry by tying string around a bad tooth at one end and a door at the other end and you then have to slam the door….

One year on, no one has been fried or boiled yet. Happy days.

• Advertisement

Thats the best bet !!! you'd love it .

Ill have to investigate this further!

Ill have to investigate this further!

I'd offer to take you out, but i've since sold my bike :( and my BMW also ... ford focus no go fast :mad::mad:

I'd offer to take you out, but i've since sold my bike :( and my BMW also ... ford focus no go fast :mad::mad:

Im sorry for your loss :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Hoofball wrote: »
    Assuming your definition of a palace is the same as mine, i.e. 5 cards the same (using wild cards obviously) then you should have actually won that hand. A palace is the highest hand you can have in wild card poker and it beats a royal flush, never mind a straight flush.

PS. want a game of cards? :)

He had a natural straight flush- didn't have to use the wild card.
    The odds of a filling a palace are far higher than filling a straight or royal flush no?

Gave up that shti a long time ago:D

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Y'know sometimes when you go to the beach and you see kids running away from the waves as they come in, then chasing them back out?

Well myself and the lads did that during a storm, with 15ft+ waves...beside a cliff. Kinda hard to explain the geography of the place, but simply put we were on what I can best describe as a platform. One big wave and we were going into the water. And given the conditions, we wouldn't have been coming out alive.

Absolutely retarded thing to do, but that being said it was one of the most fun things I've ever done.

I can think of something else you could give her a quick go on :pac:

syndeyfife wrote: »
    I can think of something else you could give her a quick go on :pac:

My swing set's a bit rusty now ..

My swing set's a bit rusty now ..

I can think of something else you could let her swing from.....

This can go on all night....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I once swallowed an apple seed.....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'd offer to take you out, but i've since sold my bike

Given your username and all... what would she hold on to?

Doom wrote: »
    I once swallowed an apple seed.....:eek:

Crazy mother fu@@er!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Couldn't find Peaches on the automated teller machine in Tesco and as I was in a hurry, selected Bananas instead. Man, now I know what that guy felt like in Midnight Express.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

That's true, interesting fact though: A 1.2 Renault Clio can do 174km/h (108mph)! Although fuel consumption per hour more than doubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Yesterday in work, refused to serve alcohol to 2 scumbags because one didn't have ID. Got a bit of slobbering from him but threw him out and he didn't come back.

Advertisement