Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Print your own firearm, with a computer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Those things (the 3D printers, not the gun) are going to make life really interesting over the next decade or so. I mean, you can already print your own food with these...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Apparently these are the future for space stations and shuttles too. Just bring the 3d printer which can make and or the spare parts.

Will be interesting to see how they develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Im an industrial designer by trade and these thing have been used for a few years now in prototyping. Class machines. Very very expensive though. There are a few companies now that you can email a file to and they will print out the 3d object for you. wonder if that was ever on beyond 2000 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Not so much money any longer - I was admiring one for around $3000 earlier this year in Portland OR.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sparks wrote: »
    Those things (the 3D printers, not the gun) are going to make life really interesting over the next decade or so. I mean, you can already print your own food with these...

Sounds really tasty.Flavoured computor printer ink and jello...:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Im an industrial designer by trade and these thing have been used for a few years now in prototyping. Class machines. Very very expensive though. There are a few companies now that you can email a file to and they will print out the 3d object for you. wonder if that was ever on beyond 2000 :D

There is an article on 3d printers in this months "model engineers workshop" magazine , it was an academic exercise in bristol uni to make a low cost 3d printer, there is nothing to it , the frame is made from threaded rods with commonly availabe stepper motors used to control all three axis. Its worth a look.

I did see somewhere online a man in america 3d printing a receiver for a 10/22 , it worked fine.

Advertisement