Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

change NI sterling to english sterling

Options
  • 26-07-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm going to england and i have a few quid of NI sterling is it possible to change it to english sterling in a bank here?

also what bank would you recommend to change euro to sterling for the best rates?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

some smaller shops might give you probelms with the ni stuff but you should have no issues with it in general in the larger shops. ive used it in glasgow and london and liverpool without issue.

essentially its the same currency but theres a lot of forgeries i think which causes the issues with some places not taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe Bureau de Change at airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i spent 5s10s and 20s from NI in London before...as another poster said. only a very few much smaller shops will have issues. But they generally dont have..I used it in cofee shops,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

i spent 5s10s and 20s from NI in London before...as another poster said. only a very few much smaller shops will have issues. But they generally dont have..I used it in cofee shops,etc

Waterstone's in London refused a Northern Bank twenty once for my (American) wife, on being told for the third time that they couldn't accept it - her exact words were "Well, why the **** does it have this bitch's head on it!!!" The manager was duly called and note was accepted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

MadsL wrote: »
    Waterstone's in London refused a Northern Bank twenty once for my (American) wife, on being told for the third time that they couldn't accept it - her exact words were "Well, why the **** does it have this bitch's head on it!!!" The manager was duly called and note was accepted. :D

Ouch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

You can also change euro to sterling at the Post Offices (which might/might not be convenient depending on where you going in the UK). Most are open 9-5 M-F and often Sat mornings as well. They don't tend to charge commission either.

High Street banks often do currency exchange as well, but will probably charge commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

It's the same currency so there should be no commission, just printed by the banks in Ulster. I used to have problems with Scottish notes in London in small shops, I just changed them in a bank without any problems.

Advertisement