Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Massive hives

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I think the weather we've been having here over the past few summers...it being so humid and tropical has led to all sorts of shenanigans in the insect world... Our back garden used to flood something serious before we added some more topsoil, it was like a lake..the grass started growing like the grass that grows in Florida. I saw these things swimming in it..they were black...like little eels. The were changing shape, growing longer and shorter - I think that's how they moved. I don't know if they were just ordinary slugs or wtf they were but they were big mother fcukers and they were having a great time slithering about in my garden. So I wouldn't be surprised if we had some new beasties flying about leaving big red lumps on poor individuals like myself:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Ah ffs! I'm never gonna get to sleep now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

csi vegas wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but...do we have mosquitos in Ireland? :eek:

At night I hear some unusual high pitched sounds coming from outside and I don't know if it's rats :eek: or some form of bug.
    It doesn't last very long but it's quite sinister.

I would go down there with a torch but the neighbours would think I'm perving in their windows (apartments).

Also I have tiny 'carpet' moths, bástards are everywhere, flying at me and all.
    It's the fúking weather cos I'm a spotless clean freak.
    A full can of air freshner I've gone through this last fortnight, blasting the cúnts out of it and still they come.
    They don't even like light - they won't go near the lamps so they're hard to spot...until they're right up against your face bzzz :mad:

Yes, there are about 20 different species.....
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_there_mosquitoes_in_Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Woke up with a load the other day , no idea where they came from since I haven't been outside in about a week and were also way too small to be insect bites

Though I do remember as a kid breaking out in large hives(not like the ones I've atm) after consistently eating too much sugar.

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Woke up with a load the other day , no idea where they came from since I haven't been outside in about a week and were also way too small to be insect bites

Oh dear god nooooooo :eek:
    They're in the house!!!!!!!!

csi vegas wrote: »
    Could it be that you've been eating a lot of chips with vinegar? Happens me about twice a year, I break out when I drown the chips, but it must be done, no other way to eat them.

Orange juice etc too - anything acidic.

I'll have to rack my brains to think of what I've been eating.. I don't think I've had any vinegar over the past few days..wait a mo..I had some on my chips on Wed night..and I've had orange juice in the mornings. I've just had a glance at an acidic foods list and I spotted peas on it. I had a dose of tinned mushy ones yesterday and the day before..something just came over me..I was in a frenzy. Maybe I should ease up on the mushy peas:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Chucken wrote: »
    Yes, there are about 20 different species.....
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_there_mosquitoes_in_Ireland]

Thanks. I didn't want to Google it myself as I thought no way, it could not be true.

God be with the days of the pretty little dragonfly, huh? although should one find itself within the parimeters of my flat it would be promptly sprayed to death by Oust

aaabbbb wrote: »

Though I do remember as a kid breaking out in large hives(not like the ones I've atm) after consistently eating too much sugar.

Did you mean to say they were too big to be insect bites? Some of mine have the circumference of a €2 coin:(. I used to get hives as a child in the summertime, I've it in my head someone suggested strawberries being the cause.

Ah ffs! I'm never gonna get to sleep now!

Sleep tight :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Ann22 wrote: »
    Did you mean to say they were too big to be insect bites? Some of mine have the circumference of a €2 coin:(. I used to get hives as a child in the summertime, I've it in my head someone suggested strawberries being the cause.

Nope, meant what I said in them being too small . Though I should have added that I usually have an allergic reaction to insect bites and so they are usually no smaller than my clenched fist i.e. absolutely friggin MASSIVE !! (the insect bites when I get them that is )

but these ones look more like spots than anything really itchy annoying spots )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

You sure you haven't got shingles? Are they not big, painful muvvas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Ann22 wrote: »
    Does that mean fleas pick and choose who they feed off and bed bugs eat whoever happens to be in the bed?
    Dog fleas prefer feeding on dogs, cat fleas bite cats, etc. Although they can and do bite humans from time to time.

Are these 'marks' concentrated on one part of the body or are they evenly distributed. Do they occur on one side? Try swapping the side of the bed you sleep on with your husband and see if it happens to him.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Dog fleas prefer feeding on dogs, cat fleas bite cats, etc. Although they can and do bite humans from time to time.

Are these 'marks' concentrated on one part of the body or are they evenly distributed. Do they occur on one side? Try swapping the side of the bed you sleep on with your husband and see if it happens to him.

They're on both sides of my body. Both upper arms, around one shoulder blade and one of my elbows.

You sure you haven't got shingles? Are they not big, painful muvvas?

Doesn't look like a shingles type rash..I wouldn't even call it a rash..They're big red lumps that are popping up on random areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Ah yeah Wicklow. Wicklow, Co. Cork :)
    Ah... Wickla. I hear they have a gap.

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »

I like his hat. It's very Philip Treacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Harvest mites are very prevalent at the moment - I know many people, including myself, who suffer major alergic reactions to them (well it's mostly the larvae) and end up with large hives like you describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I love bees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

The other night I was sitting outdoors, in Dublin, and felt a sharp pain on my leg. Looked down and a big mozzie was sitting on my leg, and had bitten me through my jeans. I've had a fairly big & itchy lump for the past few days, quite a nasty looking one actually.

Couldn't believe it bit me through my jeans

face1990 wrote: »
    The other night I was sitting outdoors, in Dublin, and felt a sharp pain on my leg. Looked down and a big mozzie was sitting on my leg, and had bitten me through my jeans. I've had a fairly big & itchy lump for the past few days, quite a nasty looking one actually.
    Couldn't believe it bit me through my jeans

The bástard. Are they incapable of ANYTHING?

• Advertisement
Advertisement