Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Failed Teaching Degree, What To Do Next?

• 26-07-2012 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey everyone, just wanted to ask a few questions in relation to my current situation.

I’ve just completed the B. Ed program, however, in June I was informed that I had failed my final teaching practice and as a consequence of this I have failed my degree. I was subsequently told by the college that I am permitted to repeat the placement in 2013, and if this placement is passed, I will receive a Third Class degree (only).

Of course this has left me devastated; I don’t really know what to do with myself. I have not heard of any other who is in my position; therefore I do not know my options, the college itself has provided me with very little information. I am wondering if anyone else has been in such a position and what did you do? I know that with a Third, acquiring a job would be difficult… I almost want to abandon the entire degree and move onto something else. I actually passed all my exams and modules this year, receiving high grades doing so. I have also passed my previous teaching placements. The pressure proved too much for me this year and I sort of had a mental/physical breakdown. I am wondering what employers look for in an individual? Will they overlook this Third in favour of exam/assignment grades? If I achieve a good grade in the repeat TP will they focus on this instead of the overall grade? Is there any point in my repeating if the possibility of employment is low?

I also wish to ask for advice as to what I should/could do for the next year. I am going to do observation (as the college requested) and try and gain as much experience as I can. I am also thinking of going abroad and finding work, however job prospects are limited as qualifications are required. I was wondering about subbing, am I eligible for subbing in schools even though I failed my degree? I would appreciate any advice, I particularly want to hear from those who have been in a similar position or know of someone who has gone through this before. I am actually so messed up over all this :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I would suggest that you definitely go back and finish the placement. You know what to expect now and what is involved so it will be a lot less daunting on you second time around.

I would definitely suggest some observation. As much as possible and with as many teachers as you can. Do not restrict yourself to one person. Again it will make you much more comfortable in the classroom.

Once back on TP ask your co op teacher to sit in on some of your lessons and get their feedback. Show them the form that the inspectors fill out and get their feedback based on this. This again will get you comfortable with someone else in the room and making notes while you are working similar to the inspector.

You have come this far, you are better off with a third class degree rather than none at all after this many years work. Why waste it? After getting qualified you can re assess what you want to do but don't throw away all the hard work. Give it one more go you will know what you need to do and you will have less pressure on you with no extra exams etc to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Congratulations on getting through the degree so far, and on your exam results. Everyone here knows how stressful the B.Ed. and Teaching Practice can be, you're not on your own.

Finding employment is tough at the moment, whatever area you're working in, and regardless of what qualifications you have. A 3rd class degree is not the end of the world, far from it. Having a high degree does not make you a good teacher, schools will be more interested in what sort of extra-curricular activities and personal qualities you have to offer.

As for the idea of not repeating, I really have to agree with seavill - that would be a waste. You've put in 3 years of hard work already, you only have a little bit left to do. Please don't give up on teaching after this setback, but at least if you decide in the future that it's not for you, having a degree will make it much easier to get work or study in another area.

As for getting information, I presume you've been in touch with the Students' Union? They may be able to tell you what other students in your situation have done. You're not the first person to fail a teaching practice, Home TP or otherwise.

Unfortunately you won't be able to sub in schools because you won't be registered with the Teaching Council. However I'm sure many schools would be delighted to have an extra pair of hands for a while if you're willing to volunteer. Use this time to build your CV - coaching, community work etc. If you need to earn money, try looking into tutoring primary school kids. What did you have as your arts subject? Is it something you could do Junior/Leaving Cert grinds in? Childminding could also be an option. Families would be delighted to have someone with school experience. I often see advertisements for parents with special needs children looking for childminders. This would be great experience for you.

Please try not to worry. I know it seems tough now, I've had trouble on teaching practice myself and it does feel like the world is going to end. You're not in an impossible situation, you have options, it'll work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Have you failed your TP by much? Seems very unfair to fail your entire degree based on one module. I would look into an appeal.

I would definitely repeat too. Don't waste all your hard work for the sake of one TP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I would agree with gaeilgebeo - appeal - if you had two good inspections it would be very unfair to fail you for your third inspection - everyone has a bad day! Get in contact with the department head and tell him/her of the problems you experienced during tp. Don't give up!

I found this link (although English website it gives good advice)

community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/399178.aspx
    (I hope this works - I'm using my phone so I don't know if I copied the entire link - google it and you'll probably find the page - i'll put up the proper link in the morning)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you say you had a breakdown due to pressure then that would concern me, teaching itself can be stressful and its a long life ahead if its going to ruin you. Can you tell us more about what happened because its unfair of us to promote teaching if in reality it will ruin you

however do all you can to finish your degree so you have that at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hey everyone, just wanted to ask a few questions in relation to my current situation.

I’ve just completed the B. Ed program, however, in June I was informed that I had failed my final teaching practice and as a consequence of this I have failed my degree. I was subsequently told by the college that I am permitted to repeat the placement in 2013, and if this placement is passed, I will receive a Third Class degree (only).

Of course this has left me devastated; I don’t really know what to do with myself. I have not heard of any other who is in my position; therefore I do not know my options, the college itself has provided me with very little information. I am wondering if anyone else has been in such a position and what did you do? I know that with a Third, acquiring a job would be difficult… I almost want to abandon the entire degree and move onto something else. I actually passed all my exams and modules this year, receiving high grades doing so. I have also passed my previous teaching placements. The pressure proved too much for me this year and I sort of had a mental/physical breakdown. I am wondering what employers look for in an individual? Will they overlook this Third in favour of exam/assignment grades? If I achieve a good grade in the repeat TP will they focus on this instead of the overall grade? Is there any point in my repeating if the possibility of employment is low?

I also wish to ask for advice as to what I should/could do for the next year. I am going to do observation (as the college requested) and try and gain as much experience as I can. I am also thinking of going abroad and finding work, however job prospects are limited as qualifications are required. I was wondering about subbing, am I eligible for subbing in schools even though I failed my degree? I would appreciate any advice, I particularly want to hear from those who have been in a similar position or know of someone who has gone through this before. I am actually so messed up over all this :(

I work with a few people (secondary teachers) who have third class primary degrees, it is definitely not the end of the world, just less money! How have you dine on previous TP's? If your breakdown was because of TP then maybe teaching may not be for you in the long run as it would not be good on your mental health. I was in college with a girl who had a breakdown on her TP but got a sick note, left it after a week and repeated it the next year it did not affect her grade. Definitely repeat TP next year so your degree won't be wasted. There jobs that you can do that require teaching degrees that aren't teaching e.g educational officers in charities which is something that may interest you in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

A lot of people really feel the pressure in their final year of any degree, so having a breakdown would not be that unusual. Did you get certified by a doctor? If so, you should present this to the college and appeal. Get a meeting with one of the heads of department and get their advice on how you should proceed. It would be a shame to waste 3 years of college.

Was the school you did you TP in a particularly difficult school? Was it just the TP that caused your breakdown? The answers to these questions will giv eyou an idea if teaching is for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm in agreement with everyone else here, go back and repeat your placement and finish your degree, otherwise you will have nothing to show for four years work. Your degree can lead you on to other things even if you choose not to go teaching.

A couple of questions: it sounds like the fail came out of the blue. Were you having any difficulties on TP and were you given any indication of how you were doing your inspections? I don't know if it's still the case but when I did teacher training in UL we got a feedback sheet when we had a visit and aside from written feedback we were given a rough indication of each visit as Potential Honours/Pass/Fail. Again like others said, if you did OK in all of your inspections except one it would be harsh to fail you and might be worth appealing.

Maybe go and chat with your lecturers and try and find out why you got the grade you got. Perhaps if you explain your situation (your mental health is important) they may let you repeat without capping your grade. Either way finish the course, and then take some time to consider your options. True, jobs are hard to come by at the moment, but you may have other strings to your bow that a school would favour.

One last thing, you are not the first to fail the placement aspect of the course and you won't be the last. There were people in my class who failed it, repeated it and went on to become good teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 confused and upset

OP here, thanks for all your replies so far, they are greatly appreciated! :)

To answer some of your questions:

I had a breakdown for a number of reasons: Firstly, I was receiving so much negative comments from my inspectors that I completely lost confidence in myself. I had never been criticized so extensively in my life, some of the comments were ridiculous. One of these inspectors even mocked my physical appearance (which was completely unwarranted). I received a good report after my first inspection, and for the first week everything was fine. However the second inspector ripped me apart and I never really got over it (I don't even want to reiterate what she said to me because it was so horrible, but lets just say I won't forget her anytime soon). The same happened with the Third. I changed everything that they had asked me to alter (it was usually in relation to planning), but they would always find something else to criticize the next time. I just felt despondent over everything and I sort of gave up :( I also felt very inadequate because of my background (I have no relations who are teachers), therefore I did all the work myself. The majority of my friends have a sibling/parents/friend etc. who are teachers and I used to compare my work to theirs (which just depressed me even more). I used to spend ridiculous hours producing resources to use, I completely burnt myself out doing this. At times I felt the work that they imposed on me was unrealistic, it was always something else... nothing that I did was ever good enough. This was also the first time someone ever criticized my planning (the Head of TP had even seen my work before and loved it), I was even accused of plagiarism at one point :(

I had never much problems on TP before, the only TP that I found problematic was a placement in 2nd year (which was a very extreme case, the children came from a deprived area and had huge discipline problems). I did well in every other TP. I also never received any extra inspections prior to my final TP (which should mean that my previous performances were adequate). I also never broke down during preceding placements. I have appealed already and it was rejected (I assume its because I had no doctors cert to back up my claims of illness).

Basically I couldn't cope with all the pressure and this impeded upon my performance. If I had known that my degree was capped I would have removed myself and deferred. I don't mind repeating the placement (I need to just calm down and not allow anything to affect me), but its the Third that I just can't accept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

you know a third is still an honour so you will get the same pay. Not all colleges award thirds but those who do it is awarded as thrid class honours so you still have an honours degree. If you failed tp which in fairness is a very important part/ the most important part of an education degree it is still good you can get an honours degree by repeating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

What I'm sure was impossible to see at the time is that what you have described is a similar story to most peoples TP (even when they won't admit the truth to classmates), obviously except for the personal abuse.

In UL there are inspectors who are renound for being ignorant, rude (to TP students and co-op teachers). I remember us all being terrified checking the board that we didn't get X or Y on TP because you knew you were ****ed if you did get them.

No matter how perfect your class is they will always find something wrong somewhere. I was heavily criticised for spelling a word wrong on the board because I left out an "i" in the word. He went to town on me about that, when I sat back and thought about it after qualifying I realised that they have to find something to give out about they don't want cocky TP students thinking they are great.

I had 4 different tutors, 3 were lovely, 1 was an absolute bollocks. There is no nicer way of putting it. Like you everything was wrong.

I am only out of college 5 years this year so TP is still very fresh in my head which I find is very useful when getting TP students myself. I have had at least 1 every year and its always the same story, ignorant inspectors who thing they are the almighty, one asking for one thing, the other looking for the complete opposite, when something is fixed they moan about something else.

The key next time is not to let it get to you (I know easier said than done). Just take that what you experience your class mates are getting the same. It's not just you (Your class mates will more than likely lie and say everything is fantastic). Again you know what to expect now, you have done well in the past so know you are more than capable. Each time just fix what they want, don't take it personally, and agree with whatever they say even when it is complete and utter bull.****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

To answer some of your questions:

I had a breakdown for a number of reasons: Firstly, I was receiving so much negative comments from my inspectors that I completely lost confidence in myself. I had never been criticized so extensively in my life, some of the comments were ridiculous. One of these inspectors even mocked my physical appearance (which was completely unwarranted). I received a good report after my first inspection, and for the first week everything was fine. However the second inspector ripped me apart and I never really got over it (I don't even want to reiterate what she said to me because it was so horrible, but lets just say I won't forget her anytime soon). The same happened with the Third. I changed everything that they had asked me to alter (it was usually in relation to planning), but they would always find something else to criticize the next time. I just felt despondent over everything and I sort of gave up :( I also felt very inadequate because of my background (I have no relations who are teachers), therefore I did all the work myself. The majority of my friends have a sibling/parents/friend etc. who are teachers and I used to compare my work to theirs (which just depressed me even more). I used to spend ridiculous hours producing resources to use, I completely burnt myself out doing this. At times I felt the work that they imposed on me was unrealistic, it was always something else... nothing that I did was ever good enough. This was also the first time someone ever criticized my planning (the Head of TP had even seen my work before and loved it), I was even accused of plagiarism at one point :(

I had never much problems on TP before, the only TP that I found problematic was a placement in 2nd year (which was a very extreme case, the children came from a deprived area and had huge discipline problems). I did well in every other TP. I also never received any extra inspections prior to my final TP (which should mean that my previous performances were adequate). I also never broke down during preceding placements. I have appealed already and it was rejected (I assume its because I had no doctors cert to back up my claims of illness).

Basically I couldn't cope with all the pressure and this impeded upon my performance. If I had known that my degree was capped I would have removed myself and deferred. I don't mind repeating the placement (I need to just calm down and not allow anything to affect me), but its the Third that I just can't accept.

This may sound harsh but I don't think you will be cut out for teaching in the long run. You should repeat the module and use it as a stepping stone for a postgraduate course in something else. You are obviously capable of good academic work if you have been successful in all your other modules so think about the long term instead of the short term.

I think that some of the posters on here are being a bit harsh. Failing TP does not mean that you will not make a good teacher. TP often has no bearing on real life. I would say that the majority of teachers on this forum have at one stage or another dreaded going into a class or have been on the verge of tears leaving one. During our recent WSE, teachers with 30 years experience were shaking. However, it teaches you to be tougher and try harder.

OP, reading back over your posts, I think the problem is with your confidence in general. You come across as serious, dedicated and inclined to overthink things. It was taking the comments of someone who is being paid to criticise you too seriously that dented your confidence. You also seem to have a chip on your shoulder about your background. People from 'teaching families' may be more likely to go on to do teaching and have support at home, but at the end of the day, it is the person themselves who has to stand in front of a class, not their mother or brother. They still have to do the work. Comparing yourself to others is a path to disaster. I think you need to work on your confidence levels and learn to let unwarranted criticism roll off you.

It boils down to this - you went into this course because you wanted to teach and you thought you'd be good at it. Forgetting the inspectors' comments for a minute, ask yourself has that changed.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    This may sound harsh but I don't think you will be cut out for teaching in the long run. You should repeat the module and use it as a stepping stone for a postgraduate course in something else. You are obviously capable of good academic work if you have been successful in all your other modules so think about the long term instead of the short term.

I won't be accepted to do a PostGrad if I have a Third though, I can't do a Masters either. I must start anew if I wish to do either. It is for this reason that I am on the fence in regards to repeating the placement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I won't be accepted to do a PostGrad if I have a Third though, I can't do a Masters either. I must start anew if I wish to do either. It is for this reason that I am on the fence in regards to repeating the placement.

I wouldnt be so sure about this. If you failed one module which was not a typical exam based/ essay based module but passed all your essay/exam based module it shows up have the ability to learn. Just make sure that you get this point across. You are obviously very capable but teaching may not be for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Get the degree you'll be grand.

Whatever plans you had of a teaching career are not limited to educating snotty nosed brats and horny teenagers. Companies are looking for people with educator skills all the time for running those patronising courses everyone has to go on from time to time and pay good money. If you had a little breakdown you may want to get yourself away from those triggers that children may be.

Appeal the decision but don't walk away from the place without those letters behind your name whatever you do

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pinkmilk

Hi,

Firstly do u actually WANT to be a teacher? If you are only finishing the degree because u started it and now are at a loose end then maybe look at a different career. Otherwise stick it out!!

I failed an academic subject in college and it was a horrible horrible time! The college offered no advice and no support whatsoever. I really considered dropping out and doing another course even though I had always wanted to be a teacher....

I had to fight the college to get anyone to meet with me, tell me why I failed etc. FINALLY after many emails and calls I was allowed to meet with the board. I was EVENTUALLY awarded an I grade. This means that I was permitted to repeat the subject in the next year and it is not on my record and has no impact on my degree.

After all that Im now qualified (and dipped!) so there is hope! PM if you have any questions.

Very best of luck with it all x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

And you won't be accepted for a postgrad of any type if you don't have a degree which you won't have if you don't repeat your placement.

I agree with one of the previous posts - stop comparing yourself to other people in your class and the fact that they have teachers in their families. You're implying that their families were helping them out and doing the work for them 'I had to do all the work myself'... well if you go teaching, you will have to do all the work yourself. No amount of teaching relations will enable you to learn your subject or be of any benefit to you when you are standing in front of a bunch of students. Neither of my parents have a Leaving Cert, I was the first in the family to go to third level. It never once entered my head that others in the class would have an advantage because some of their relative might be teachers. Forget that way of thinking right now or you will always be looking for an excuse for something that doesn't work out the way you had intended.

While you are considering your placement you should probably have a think about whether you actually like teaching and whether or not you want to teach as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 energeticxx

I have read your post and have to agree withg other posters that you should repeat the TP, observe / sub in the meantime and use the spare time to be well ahead for TP with lesson plans and resources. Also think then about what you want to do in future but should not let one bad experience put you off teaching!

From reading the post, I believe you are a St. Angela's Home Economics student?? I feel really angry if you are because I know what the inspectors in the college are like and very unrealistic. The college has an awful reputation for the work load and pressure it places on students. If you got good with no extra inspections in previous placements you are well fit to be a teacher.

Stress can get the better of anyone and everyone has a bad day. You can definatly do some subbing even not been registered with the teaching council so maybe leave cv's in local schools and let them know you are available during the year. If a school has a teacher with your subject out sick they would take somebody nearly qaulified in the subject than someone who never studied it.

And you won't be accepted for a postgrad of any type if you don't have a degree which you won't have if you don't repeat your placement.

I agree with one of the previous posts - stop comparing yourself to other people in your class and the fact that they have teachers in their families. You're implying that their families were helping them out and doing the work for them 'I had to do all the work myself'... well if you go teaching, you will have to do all the work yourself. No amount of teaching relations will enable you to learn your subject or be of any benefit to you when you are standing in front of a bunch of students. Neither of my parents have a Leaving Cert, I was the first in the family to go to third level. It never once entered my head that others in the class would have an advantage because some of their relative might be teachers. Forget that way of thinking right now or you will always be looking for an excuse for something that doesn't work out the way you had intended.

While you are considering your placement you should probably have a think about whether you actually like teaching and whether or not you want to teach as well.

When I refer to comparing myself with others I'm referring to resources and planning. The inspectors themselves compared my work with those of other student teachers' (who I know had been utilizing their parents' resources), and told me to start producing resources that were similar to theirs. I did not think it was fair to do this, I felt sh!t about myself as a result of this comparison.

Anyway, I think I'll have to repeat the placement now at this point, I'm even looking into repeating the year (if the college allows this).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

From reading the post, I believe you are a St. Angela's Home Economics student??
    If this is the case, the OP should definitely go back and do it again. It seems like home economics teachers aren't easy to come by so third class or not, she'd still be quite employable I imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭Lockedout

My teaching career was once on the scrap heap. Lost a job-poor discipline. Floated around a few years. Failed the Ceard Teastas (a few times-long complicated story) . I kept going and resurrected my career. Now happily permanent Either you want to teach or dont. If you do -keep going.

From reading the post, I believe you are a St. Angela's Home Economics student??

Primary teaching unfortunately haha :pac:

Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies, I found the advice very helpful :) I have decided to repeat the placement next year, however I'm not sure what I will do afterwards. I will try and obtain employment (but with a Third it's going to be difficult), completing the Dip will also be difficult. I am looking into repeating the year at the moment (however I have not heard from the college yet in regards to this) but if it is permitted, I more than likely will be doing so. If I fail to gain employment I will try and use the degree as a stepping stone to something else, and if this fails I will have to do another undergrad :( I have a long road ahead of me anyway!

Thanks everyone :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

To be honest, principals pay more heed ot any subbing work you have done rather than TP grades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

I read this and assumed you were a St Angelas Student too. Its a disgrace the amount of student teachers Ive seen brought to tears by some of their inspectors.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I am not aiming this at the OP, by the way.

Forest Fruits, no-one should be unfairly pulled up, but I have talked to some student teachers who think they are God's gift,when they were far from it.

Some of our Celtic tiger cubs have led charmed lives,where from birth up they are told from every side that they can do anything they want and their every act applauded from all sides.They have never known citicism or hardship.The first time they met adversity, they crumbled.

I know the TP situation is not easy,but believe it or not the dip year can be worse.At least at the end of TP the class are no longer your problem.

For your dip year-and for every year for the rest of your teaching life, an inspector can drop in with no notice whatsoever,you have to answer to a principal, board of management and 30 sets of parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

When I refer to comparing myself with others I'm referring to resources and planning. The inspectors themselves compared my work with those of other student teachers' (who I know had been utilizing their parents' resources), and told me to start producing resources that were similar to theirs. I did not think it was fair to do this, I felt sh!t about myself as a result of this comparison.

Anyway, I think I'll have to repeat the placement now at this point, I'm even looking into repeating the year (if the college allows this).

1) I think you are being far, far too sensitive to these criticisms. Comparing you to your peers happens in all walks of society; the idea is that competition between people raises the general standard. You could have seen this as a challenge and risen to it, but you seem to have been overwhelmed by the perceived slight. It wasn't a slight; just a request for you to "up your game". Every teacher is asked to "up their game", whether that's in classroom discipline, subject knowledge, extracurricular commitments or whatever. These are opportunities for you to learn now, to improve now and to save yourself trouble down the line. They are not personal attacks. Please don't persecute yourself any more than you are already by reading stuff into this.

2) It sounds like you could be depressed, perhaps? I would not hesitate in getting a medical cert and appealing whatever decision your course coordinators have made. It's very rare that a legitimate medical cert is questioned. To my mind, it doesn't sound fair that you have to settle for a 3rd, when there are other people who, by virtue of a medical cert, can repeat a year and start afresh.

3) Somebody earlier mentioned your lack of confidence. This is glaring and I think a massive impediment to your growth and development as a teacher. Reading your posts reminded me of what a shíte driver I was before I passed my driving test on the 5th attempt! I genuinely became a better driver by virtue of crossing the line and getting a full licence. It was a psychological watershed. I'm now a much more confident driver, and thus a better one. Similarly, once you overcome this and get over that line your confidence will improve hugely so don't worry at all about the effect this will have on your career progression. We were always told it's seven years after qualification that you become the teacher you're going to be (where they get these timescales from is beyond me). You're learning. Be open to learning and open to improving and avoid taking criticism personally and you will develop more.

Best of luck. You'll be absolutely fine. We all land on our feet eventually, even if it is hard for us to get perspective during the tough times.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

I had never been criticized so extensively in my life, some of the comments were ridiculous. One of these inspectors even mocked my physical appearance (which was completely unwarranted). I received a good report after my first inspection, and for the first week everything was fine. However the second inspector ripped me apart and I never really got over it (I don't even want to reiterate what she said to me because it was so horrible, but lets just say I won't forget her anytime soon). The same happened with the Third. I changed everything that they had asked me to alter (it was usually in relation to planning), but they would always find something else to criticize the next time. I just felt despondent over everything and I sort of gave up :( I also felt very inadequate because of my background (I have no relations who are teachers), therefore I did all the work myself. The majority of my friends have a sibling/parents/friend etc. who are teachers and I used to compare my work to theirs (which just depressed me even more). I used to spend ridiculous hours producing resources to use, I completely burnt myself out doing this. At times I felt the work that they imposed on me was unrealistic, it was always something else... nothing that I did was ever good enough. This was also the first time someone ever criticized my planning (the Head of TP had even seen my work before and loved it), I was even accused of plagiarism at one point :(

Firstly, I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience. Teaching degrees are harder than army training and teaching practice is the devil. The reality is there isn't enough modeling done for student teachers - if the inspectors actually let student teachers know what they wanted pure and simple, everyone would be better off (and there would be many more firsts too!).

I would appeal it and appeal it on the grounds that you were not made aware of your mistakes/the desired criteria in time to correct them. If you had done well in all other teaching practices and you were getting positive feedback then there should be grounds for appeal.

What college did you attend? Also what is your subject/subjects? Perhaps if your inspected lessons were in different subjects, maybe one just doesn't suit e.g. maybe all your Geography lessons are excellent but you got inspected in math which didn't suit your format etc :(

Had you visited a doctor about your breakdown around or after tp? He or she may be willing to give a testament to your condition.

I am not aiming this at the OP, by the way.

Forest Fruits, no-one should be unfairly pulled up, but I have talked to some student teachers who think they are God's gift,when they were far from it.

Some of our Celtic tiger cubs have led charmed lives,where from birth up they are told from every side that they can do anything they want and their every act applauded from all sides.They have never known citicism or hardship.The first time they met adversity, they crumbled.

I know the TP situation is not easy,but believe it or not the dip year can be worse.At least at the end of TP the class are no longer your problem.

For your dip year-and for every year for the rest of your teaching life, an inspector can drop in with no notice whatsoever,you have to answer to a principal, board of management and 30 sets of parents.

I'm actually quite the opposite when it comes to my teaching, I think I'm terrible and I severely lack confidence in my ability (I have been pulled up on this already by inspectors). I'm very realistic.

• Advertisement

Seanchai wrote: »
    1)

3) Somebody earlier mentioned your lack of confidence. This is glaring and I think a massive impediment to your growth and development as a teacher. Reading your posts reminded me of what a shíte driver I was before I passed my driving test on the 5th attempt! I genuinely became a better driver by virtue of crossing the line and getting a full licence. It was a psychological watershed. I'm now a much more confident driver, and thus a better one. Similarly, once you overcome this and get over that line your confidence will improve hugely so don't worry at all about the effect this will have on your career progression. We were always told it's seven years after qualification that you become the teacher you're going to be (where they get these timescales from is beyond me). You're learning. Be open to learning and open to improving and avoid taking criticism personally and you will develop more.

I think I do have a large confidence issue yes. I've always thought that I wasn't good enough for teaching, and unfortunately I have surrounded myself with people who only seem to want to put me down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭2011abc

Lockedout wrote: »
    My teaching career was once on the scrap heap. Lost a job-poor discipline. Floated around a few years. Failed the Ceard Teastas (a few times-long complicated story) . I kept going and resurrected my career. Now happily permanent Either you want to teach or dont. If you do -keep going.

Please check your inbox Lockedout!Sent you a private message .Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭2011abc

It seems teaching practice inspectors both at primary and secondary level are either very nice or VERY NASTY!I had one of each .The former told my principal they should offer me a job on the spot ,the latter told me I was a week away from being 'washed out'...Keep your chin up !

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm slightly more optimistic now about my career :) I wish to ask another wee question though...
    I've been looking for an English teaching job online for the past while, however I'm finding it difficult to locate jobs that do not ask for some sort of a degree. I wish to gain as much teaching experience as I can now, as the college has recently told me that I am not permitted to repeat the year (and so I must accept the Third). In terms of eligibility, what are the prospects? Would I be accepted anywhere? I'm currently looking into doing a TEFL course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm slightly more optimistic now about my career :) I wish to ask another wee question though...
    I've been looking for an English teaching job online for the past while, however I'm finding it difficult to locate jobs that do not ask for some sort of a degree. I wish to gain as much teaching experience as I can now, as the college has recently told me that I am not permitted to repeat the year (and so I must accept the Third). In terms of eligibility, what are the prospects? Would I be accepted anywhere? I'm currently looking into doing a TEFL course!

I'm really not sure about this - could you go on the dole and do job bridge? It would you give you some classroom experience and you could also get experience in a few schools. I'm glad you've made your decision about your career :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

2011abc wrote: »
    It seems teaching practice inspectors both at primary and secondary level are either very nice or VERY NASTY!I had one of each .The former told my principal they should offer me a job on the spot ,the latter told me I was a week away from being 'washed out'...Keep your chin up !

This, very much this. Have mentioned it before on her but my inspector was horrible to me and I still regret to this day that I did not report her. It was her first year in the job and she was obviously on a power trip to prove her worth. One of the complaints I have is that after a very good class she said exactly this to me. 'The only reason that class went so well is because so many students were missing'. I was dumbfounded. There was 15 out of 23 students in the class. She said she wanted to do the visit again and not count it. I refused as the PGDE rules stated that anything over 12 students in a class count. From then on she had it in for me. I still get asked about my teaching practise grade in interviews but all I can say back is that I have a number of great references from principals who have a greater knowledge of my teaching than a woman who saw my classes 5 times and took a dislike to me.
    Do not let your experience from the PGDE turn you off teaching. If you find a job you like, a school you like and a subject you enjoy teaching and you put in the work needed you will be fine

• Advertisement

My god Maynooth - that's brutal. It just goes to show that some of the inspectors don't even know the rules themselves.

We had a Dipper in last year and after her inspection the inspector said to her: "I'd love to bring you down to *other school in the town and see you teaching a proper class". The cheek of her! The student was doing a fantastic job with our kids, who were on their best behaviour and the inspector just all-out insults the school. Some of them really are on a power trip!

INTO members have been told not to co-operate with Job Bridge,if you plan on primary, do some volunteer work,rather than Job Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

I'm confused. I know that if you repeat in June you are capped with a C3 grade, but not in October. It's completely new start.How then are you getting capped?! My only conclusion is it must a different college to mine (which is awful if so)...or else this would be your 3rd time doing the final T.P practice? I know of other courses where if a whole year had to be repeated, the whole degree is capped...maybe this is similar, you haven't already repeated a year already no??!

Please, don't be silly and do finish the degree. You're nearly there you really should!! :) For the sake of a few weeks get through it. At least then you will have a degree to do other things as people have said if it comes to it. Also keep this in mind - Do you not think there are others out there with ordinary and third class degrees?!! Outside teaching and in teaching B.Ed also, there are those that will get them - do you think they just gave up? If I got a third class honours I would not give up - I love teaching too much. I bet there are lots of people in their degree jobs now who fought to get there. What you must do is do some voluntary teaching and get references. Give an employer a reason to want you. If you've great references you'll get any job. Principals understand how different TP is to the real thing, and how awful examiners can be. If they know you are able to teach it doesn't matter what degree value you have or examiner reports. Did you know also, most teachers from years back only graduated with ordinary degrees?? Being completely honest, I have no first class honours degree in my B.Ed, but I worked up my C.V - worked in summer camps, did TEFL...THIS is what will get you your job, not degree values these days. It's all the experience and what you have to offer. I know a girl who had a first class honours who got beat to a job by a guy with a 2.2! Just shows!!!

Don't let this get you down. Get TEFL done any way- it's a great thing to have on the CV. Do some home schooling - it's a great way to get experience - even if its for free to start with, it's teaching experience and its a reference!!! Best of luck with everything! :)

Also, a third class honours is not failed degree - if it was a failed degree, why would the college offer it??! Why would any college offer third class honours then?? Also I know people with ordinary degrees from I.Ts. . . so what is wrong with a third class HONOURS??! Think of it that way :)

Advertisement