Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could Dublin ever host the Olympics?

• 26-07-2012 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Just wondering. Could you ever see this happening?Or is Ireland too much of a small player politically for this ever to be realistic? I mean it is a large, modern, metropolitan city and as the Irish are famous for their warm hospitality. I think it would be deadly and the craic would be mighty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Maybe if it was decimated by a bomb and then they had to rebuild it with proper stadium and infrastructure.

Otherwise no, never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

No. Sorry, sorry I meant ..... **** no!

Compared to London or any other actual city, Dublin is a smelly, durty, puddle!!

Just compared to others mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

its not that large!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Mushy wrote: »
    Maybe if it was decimated by a bomb and then they had to rebuild it with proper stadium and infrastructure.

Otherwise no, never.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Jesus I cant even imagine how much of a disaster it would be. The emergency services and guards alone would be stressed beyond limits worse than barrack obama's visit to Ireland and the London riots combined.
    The poor public transport system would be clogged, thousands of double decker busses and those 2 luas lines jammed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

we cant even organise decent public transport for most of dublin so how do you think we could organise an event like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

It'd be hilarious. The city turns into a gridlocked hellhole when there's a bit of rain. Granted Obama and the Queen went off well enough, but they'd have to keep that up for weeeeeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Maybe some new events can be introduced!

I'd like to see things like "Getting a Taxi While People Kill One Another". Or maybe "Who Under 18 Looks Most Retarded?".

It could be a great laugh.

But in short, please no.

I can only imagine the amount of ignorance from the skangers "**** off back to X country" "But... but your president invited us here!" "**** OFF WITH THE QUEEN WE DON'T LISTEN TO HER".

And so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

"And you join us here in Santry stadium for the 100m Mens final" :D

We could just have the shooting competitions in Noctors :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

What about the skanger Olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

The whole of Ireland couldn't host it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Of course we could, Just after we host the World cup,Watanabe president Gay Mitchel thought we could do it .Have to be on to a winner there so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Of course it could. All the amenities are already in place in the city and the hinterland sure.

The aquatic events could be held in Mosney.

The Red Cow roundabout could act as the velodrome for the cycling.

And. Am. Eh.....

they could use the runway in Dublin airport for the long jump... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Of course it could. All the amenities are already in place in the city and the hinterland sure.

The aquatic events could be held in Mosney.

And. Am. Eh.....
    The Spire for swingball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Dublin city's 44 sq miles big.

That's tiny. No way.

QUOTE]

this made me LOL.... fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

If Lidl organise the games, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Sure it could :rolleyes:

tiddlywinks olympics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Compared to London or any other actual city, Dublin is a smelly, durty, puddle!!

Just compared to others mind.

Clearly not traveled much.

OP - no we couldn't london can't pull it off what chance do we have with far less infrastructure and facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Shooting in Finglas?

No, that's not tomorrow's headline in the Herald....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Ok i get the picture

Not big enough
    Not enough money
    Not enough resources
    Not enough top class facilities or transport
    Gombeen politicians and officials

Nice to dream though

We'll just stick to what we're best at, organizing piss ups. Drinking Olympics, maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

inb4 some deluded culchie says Cork could host it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fitzYOLO

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

goose2005 wrote: »
    inb4 some deluded culchie says Cork could host it

I think Waterford should host it tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only one man thinks its possible (and he's an idiot)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

I remember listening to a deluded Dublin Lord Mayor Gay Mitchell in 92 in the Coirfheile in the mansion house giving a speech on how plausible and possible it would be for Dublin to put in a bid for the Olympics in 2012 and how he wanted to champion the cause. With the scale, cost and expectations on a host nation of an Olympics back then it would of been possible after years of preparation for Ireland to host it but the games have grown in scale since then. Sports like weightlifting could of been held in a community center hall in the 80's and 90's but even those minority games have massive demand from fans and athletes for big facilities nowadays.
    The problem is the world travels now. I blame the Commies for breaking down that wall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No.

We can barely host a Eurovison Song Contest!

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    "And you join us here in Santry stadium for the 100m Mens final" :D

We could just have the shooting competitions in Noctors :pac:

nah, the bridge house in dolphins barn bid for that long before noctors

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cost of the UK games will be about £11 Bn = €14 Bn.

That's the size of the HSE budget.

At 6% interest rates that's €840 million a year before you start to pay back any of the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

At 6% interest rates that's €840 million a year before you start to pay back any of the money.

Speculate to accumulate.

Ireland could put in a bid for the games if they sold it to the Olympic Committee right. Sell it as a low key enviro, sustainable games with small events sites, no large scale hotel developments ect. We're not a big country so why promise the sun moon and stars. The games need to be pegged back a bit after Beijing anyway

Ah sure Ted we're so deep in debt anyway we might as well. jesus i love drinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

mike65 wrote: »
    Only one man thinks its possible (and he's an idiot)

But sure didnt his mam feed the entire olympic team with her left breast in 1954 in a two bed tenement in Dublin while young Gay was off selling penny apples to keep the bailiffs away... or some sh!t like that...

brummytom wrote: »
    Dublin city's 44 sq miles big.

That's tiny. No way.

and dublin city council couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery.

• Advertisement

seanmacc wrote: »
    Speculate to accumulate.

Ireland could put in a bid for the games if they sold it to the Olympic Committee right. Sell it as a low key enviro, sustainable games with small events sites, no large scale hotel developments ect. We're not a big country so why promise the sun moon and stars. The games need to be pegged back a bit after Beijing anyway

they could fill the judges with black bush. the games would then be held on the moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

We could host the Special Olympics again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

WumBuster wrote: »
    Just wondering. Could you ever see this happening?Or is Ireland too much of a small player politically for this ever to be realistic? I mean it is a large, modern, metropolitan city and as the Irish are famous for their warm hospitality. I think it would be deadly and the craic would be mighty.
    No . Irish hearts would all be in the right place but the reality of showcasing such a huge event would be stretching the manpower and resources beyond what's available and required to stage it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

donvito99 wrote: »

No, we had money then, we couldnt host the homeless olympics now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Put in a bid with Scotland and Wales?

I know it's awarded to a city but sharing is caring :)

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »

we got gold in the play dough in that didnt we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

We did actually apply to host the 1936 games !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Mushy wrote: »
    Maybe if it was decimated by a bomb

Never mind the Olympics, that's a good idea in general.

efb wrote: »
    No, we had money then, we couldnt host the homeless olympics now

Just thinking. It could be possible if we do what we always do in our hour of need- receive special funding from our brothers of the diaspora in the Americas, Australias and Britain(of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What does it do but saddle a country with debt anyway, all for a brief fleeting moment in the world's eye. Montreal for instance only finished repaying their Olympic debt in 2006, a full thirty years after they hosted the games.

London looks set to also struggle, remember they won their bid back in 2005 when everything seemed a lot rosier in the financial world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Cameron's hedging his bets that this spectacle will help bring much need foreign investment into UK to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Havin a mare buddy.

Well we'd definitely put on a good opening ceremony(Riverdance, Westlife, Rousing speech from Enda etc)
    But the rest would be a disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I think Waterford should host it tbh!

Nah your both wrong...It should be held in moate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Ireland is simply too small to host the Olympic games as it is currently configured. In order to hold the games here, you would be essentially required to rebuild Dublin, with a number of high capacity metro lines. We would also need to build hundreds of hotels, much more than we have already (and we have too many as it stands). A new airport would also be required. We would have to increase the size of our security forces by about 4 fold.

Then we get to the sports infrastructure. We would require a large multi sport stadium, another olympic swimming complex, velodrome, media centre and countless other arenas. These would all see no use after the games. Even Beijing has a number of abandoned venues, and the main stadium gets hardly any use. (that said thousands visit it each day) - can you imagine what it would be like here?

I wouldn't say we couldn't have afforded it a few years ago. Indeed if we had gone and hosted them, the total cost of the games would seem cheap compared to the cost of the bank bailout.

I don't think many countries can now afford to hold the games, but they remain a strong political statement. The games have grown so big that they have now become unsustainable in the current model. It wouldn't surprise me if the IOC is eventually forced to opt for a host nation, rather than host city

Ireland is a country of 5 million. To put this in the perspective of the Olympic games - there are 8 million tickets available for events in London.

• Advertisement
Advertisement