Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could Dublin ever host the Olympics?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

WumBuster wrote: »
    Well we'd definitely put on a good opening ceremony(Riverdance, Westlife, Rousing speech from Enda etc)
    But the rest would be a disaster
    The fact that thousands of extra police and soldiers have had to be called in to give maximum security tells it's own story .

Ireland is a country of 5 million. To put this in the perspective of the Olympic games - there are 8 million tickets available for events in London.
    Totally !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Ireland is a country of 5 million. To put this in the perspective of the Olympic games - there are 8 million tickets available for events in London.

Ah now c'mon. Those are census figures. Half of eastern Europe has come and gone. I can tell you about several houses up here that had upwards of 24 Chinese people living in them.

The problem with the olympics is it would need to he held somewhere outside Dublin. Meaning half the population of the country wouldn't go to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Ireland is simply too small to host the Olympic games as it is currently configured. In order to hold the games here, you would be essentially required to rebuild Dublin, with a number of high capacity metro lines. We would also need to build hundreds of hotels, much more than we have already (and we have too many as it stands). A new airport would also be required. We would have to increase the size of our security forces by about 4 fold.

Then we get to the sports infrastructure. We would require a large multi sport stadium, another olympic swimming complex, velodrome, media centre and countless other arenas. These would all see no use after the games. Even Beijing has a number of abandoned venues, and the main stadium gets hardly any use. (that said thousands visit it each day) - can you imagine what it would be like here?

I wouldn't say we couldn't have afforded it a few years ago. Indeed if we had gone and hosted them, the total cost of the games would seem cheap compared to the cost of the bank bailout.

I don't think many countries can now afford to hold the games, but they remain a strong political statement. The games have grown so big that they have now become unsustainable in the current model. It wouldn't surprise me if the IOC is eventually forced to opt for a host nation, rather than host city

totally agree. but if you put the finance, logistics and politics aside, Im sure Ireland would be an awesome host for the Olympics, possibly best ever. I cant remember us hosting any other major international events besides the special olympics, eurovision and i think an underage european soccer championship some years ago. All were a resounding success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Put in a bid with Scotland and Wales?

I know it's awarded to a city but sharing is caring :)

We couldn't even organise a football tourament between the three of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭thomasj

Just wondering. Could you ever see this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

we would also need to build a HUGE McDonalds...... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

littlelulu wrote: »
    we would also need to build a HUGE McDonalds...... :/
    And huge Pen to which could be dismantled after the games

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

Latchy wrote: »
    And huge Pen to which could be dismantled after the games

and ban everyone else from selling chips...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Of course it could. All the amenities are already in place in the city and the hinterland sure.

The aquatic events could be held in Mosney.

The Red Cow roundabout could act as the velodrome for the cycling.

And. Am. Eh.....

Morton stadium in santry for the athletics so we have a few places sorted out now :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

goose2005 wrote: »
    inb4 some deluded culchie says Cork could host it

Dont forget the arrogance of The Dubs might not go down too well with judges

"Where are you's from???? . . . . Ghana????. . . .F**k off ya culchie"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Borris in ossory and newtownmountkennedy are set to lock horns for the 2024 games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Some economists recently worked out that no country with a population under 11 million should even consider hosting the Olympics - too small an economic base to support them.

I often suspected the ' Bertie Bowl ' project had it gone ahead was going to be used as a basis for an Olympic bid . Gay Mitchell ( remember him ? ) also pushed for an Olympic bid for Dublin.

Sheer lunacy ever thinking we could host such an event , between cost and Public Unions pulling wildcat strikes during the games they would be an unholy disaster for the whole country.

Delancey wrote: »
    Some economists recently worked out that no country with a population under 11 million should even consider hosting the Olympics - too small an economic base to support them.

I often suspected the ' Bertie Bowl ' project had it gone ahead was going to be used as a basis for an Olympic bid . Gay Mitchell ( remember him ? ) also pushed for an Olympic bid for Dublin.

Sheer lunacy ever thinking we could host such an event , between cost and Public Unions pulling wildcat strikes during the games they would be an unholy disaster for the whole country.

Never dismiss an opportunity to bash the unions. Conservative Ireland is live and well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Ok i get the picture

Not big enough
    Not enough money
    Not enough resources
    Not enough top class facilities or transport
    Gombeen politicians and officials

Nice to dream though

We'll just stick to what we're best at, organizing piss ups. Drinking Olympics, maybe

There's some momentum building towards tabling a bid to land the 2023 Rugby World Cup. Fans from all over the world would love it and it's something we could pull off terrifically well. Olympics and footy World Cups will always be beyond us unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

It's a stirling idea. You could have the final of the 100m (which is really the only thing that anyone remembers anyway) in O'Connell street at 2am of an evening. I reckon Usain would do it in 5 seconds with the desire to get out of there as fast as possible.

• Advertisement

haro124 wrote: »
    We did actually apply to host the 1936 games !

Didnt know that. Maybe we did a deal with hitler that they could host the games so long as he wouldnt invade us. Cute hoor that Dev was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

totally agree. but if you put the finance, logistics and politics aside, Im sure Ireland would be an awesome host for the Olympics, possibly best ever.
    Thats like saying, if it wasn't for our sh!te players we'd have a world class soccer team.
    If money isin't an issue, yes of course we could host the best ever, we'd just spend 50 billion or 100 billion it doesn't really matter cos we're leaving finance aside.

Red21 wrote: »
    Thats like saying, if it wasn't for our sh!te players we'd have a world class soccer team.
    If money isin't an issue, yes of course we could host the best ever, we'd just spend 50 billion or 100 billion it doesn't really matter cos we're leaving finance aside.

watcha talkin about of course we have a world class soccer team!! keith Andrews? glenn Whelan? Cox, Robbie Keane breaking all those records.....
    And we got a world class manager and we pay him as much. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

donvito99 wrote: »
    We could host the Special Olympics again...

We do already it's in the Dail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Cost of the UK games will be about £11 Bn = €14 Bn.

That's the size of the HSE budget.

At 6% interest rates that's €840 million a year before you start to pay back any of the money.

Latest estimates are that the games will cost London 24bn.
    Sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

There was a common belief among Quebec and Montreal politicians that you couldn't lose money in the Olympics. They took over the building of the necessary infrastructure as delays caused panic. This resulted in a 30 year debt that the city of Montreal residents had to pay off, a bitter legacy of stuff going to peoples heads and pride and all that is wrong about human nature....

Lets keep our heads down, you dont see cute hoors like Switzerland, Luxembourg or Belgium looking to host the Olympics.

Lets be selfish for once. Lets stay out of expensive world scale events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Shouldn't this thread be in the anti-Dublin forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

well we hosted the special Olympics....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Could Dublin ever host the Olympics?

Hmmmm Let me think

Err NO.

We do not have the security resources to say the least. AlQueda would probably march in the opening ceremony with their flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

The last time the Olympics was held in a city in a country with equivalent populations to Dublin / Ireland would have been Helsinki 1952.

Rugby World cup is probably the only international sporting event we could actually stand a chance at hosting, given that it is only a condensed 6 Nations + Aus, NZ & SA. Even then I can see it being 'shared' with Wales or Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

What we need to do is throw everything we have into 1 last attempt of saving the country. Build a huge city capable of housing the population of Ireland+people going to the olympics that is completely self sustainable. Put a big wall around it, we all move into it and sell the rest of the country. If all goes well we wont be in so much debt and after the olympics we'll have enough space for population growth.

If it works we're sorted, if it doesnt we cant get much worse and the city will have international flights so we can just fly off somewhere, form a close Irish community in a country and slowly by having 5-6 children we'll grow as a population and take over the country.

We dont have much to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

eoferrall wrote: »
    OP - no we couldn't london can't pull it off what chance do we have with far less infrastructure and facilities.

Nonsense. London is going to do a fantastic job.

I went to see a lot of the Olympic areas today. Looks beyond amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Jorah wrote: »
    Nonsense. London is going to do a fantastic job.

I went to see a lot of the Olympic areas today. Looks beyond amazing.

So not been watching the news about traffic chaos as even the olympic drivers are confused about routes. then you have all the security mess up with G4 and getting the army in to cover and all the other issues they encountered...not to mention the North/South korea flag snafu. I;m sure the actual events will run smoothly etc, but the logistical size of it there have been considerable c0ck ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Latchy wrote: »
    Cameron's hedging his bets that this spectacle will help bring much need foreign investment into UK to.
    I for one will be transfering all my money to london banks and investing in FTSE 100 companies because london are hosting the olympics.

• Advertisement

Colmustard wrote: »
    Hmmmm Let me think

Err NO.

We do not have the security resources to say the least. AlQueda would probably march in the opening ceremony with their flag.

We could hold the Terrorlympics. The PIRA would be a shoe in for golds in IED construction and Sniping.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

maddragon wrote: »
    We could hold the Terrorlympics. The PIRA would be a shoe in for golds in IED construction and Sniping.
    What rock have you been hiding under ?

Iraq, Afghanistan
    Palestine
    The Arab Spring countries
    Mexican drug wars

Israeli assassinations
    US drones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

no , we wouldn't have the resources, infrastructure, every other thing you would need. the special olympics would be our limit as we showed in 03 where we did a good job as hosts

Iraq, Afghanistan
    Palestine
    Mexican drug wars

Israeli assassinations
    US drones

Who do you think most of the aforementioned learned their tactics from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Hope not. Love the Olympics but really hate the waste of money that goes with it. Check out the run-down purpose-built facilities of some previous host cities. :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

eoferrall wrote: »
    So not been watching the news about traffic chaos as even the olympic drivers are confused about routes. then you have all the security mess up with G4 and getting the army in to cover and all the other issues they encountered...not to mention the North/South korea flag snafu. I;m sure the actual events will run smoothly etc, but the logistical size of it there have been considerable c0ck ups.

There was always going to be traffic chaos as there would be in any major city.

A few issues aside I'm confident London will pull off a successful Games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Iraq, Afghanistan
    Palestine
    Mexican drug wars

Israeli assassinations
    US drones
    Yeah but at least we'd win gold in kneecapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Already there:getting in an out of Dublin by whatever means is an "Olympic" feat itself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

maddragon wrote: »
    Who do you think most of the aforementioned learned their tactics from?
    For Afghanistan the CIA

in Iraq they use artillery shells which weren't used here

The big Irish republican innovation was the use of proxy bombs, where people were forced to become suicide bombers by threatening their families.

• Advertisement

we'd have a better chance of hosting the winter olympics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Loada scrotes tryna rob the torch so they can melt it and smoke it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

We'd have plenty of ghost estates we could use for the athletes village.

If only we'd built the bertie bowl, the luas extensions and the rail link to the airport....

I am pie wrote: »
    We'd have plenty of ghost estates we could use for the athletes village.

If only we'd built the bertie bowl, the luas extensions and the rail link to the airport....

Well they are athletes so i am sure abit of walking would do them no harm !!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

I think it is possible.

Think about it,all we have to do is get a lend of a few billion and build all the stadiums and tracks,then we could launch a bid for the it and we couldnt be turned down because we have all the stuff already built,kinda like a way to guarantee we get accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The hole of Ireland couldn't host it.

FYP to answer the OPs question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Well they are athletes so i am sure abit of walking would do them no harm !!

Yes, we'd look well asking Usain Bolt to walk from his accommodation in some ghost estate in Longford all the way to Santry.

And our olympic flame operating on turf would be difficult to keep lit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

No

For Afghanistan the CIA

in Iraq they use artillery shells which weren't used here

The big Irish republican innovation was the use of proxy bombs, where people were forced to become suicide bombers by threatening their families.

We're going hugely off topic here but the Irish DF contribution to ISAF is considered significant because of the input of DF ordnance officers whose experience in dealing with republican IEDs has put them at the forefront of this aspect of counter terrorism. Maybe we could get a medal for that.

seanmacc wrote: »
    I remember listening to a deluded Dublin Lord Mayor Gay Mitchell in 92 in the Coirfheile in the mansion house giving a speech on how plausible and possible it would be for Dublin to put in a bid for the Olympics in 2012 and how he wanted to champion the cause. With the scale, cost and expectations on a host nation of an Olympics back then it would of been possible after years of preparation for Ireland to host it but the games have grown in scale since then. Sports like weightlifting could of been held in a community center hall in the 80's and 90's but even those minority games have massive demand from fans and athletes for big facilities nowadays.
    The problem is the world travels now. I blame the Commies for breaking down that wall

Ah sure you cant knock the man for having a bit of ambition and forward thinking. How was he to know that 20 years down the line Ireland would be in way worse state than it was then

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Yes, we'd look well asking Usain Bolt to walk from his accommodation in some ghost estate in Longford all the way to Santry.

And our olympic flame operating on turf would be difficult to keep lit.

Ah sure he'd run that in about an hour !!! Ah sure bord gais can keep the Olympic flame going and we can just re name santry stadium after them .

• Advertisement
Advertisement