Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimping RJ45 with Cat5e

Options
  • 26-07-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im looking for a bit of advice or some tips on making RJ45 terminitations.
    I dont have to do these very often but I always seemm to have trouble when I do.

I have a crimper, RJ45's and cable.
    I untwist the wires and sort them to 568B. Heres where the problem starts. When I try to push the wires into the RJ45 the wont go over the pins. THey get stuck/blocked and any more force behind the wires start to buckle.

I have noticed that when I do the final cut to have all the wires the same length, that the snips leaves a bit of a burr at the cut end. Is this stopping the wires going in ?

Would it also be that Im using bad connectors. I have a bag of connectors but I cant remember where they came from.

I have watched youtube videos and they all justt seem to slide in and then crimp and done.

Doesnt happen to me. Anyone any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

There are different connectors, one type is for the braided cable and another for the solid copper cable.
    Try talking to someone at Wood Communications in Dublin or similar for advice and some connectors.
    Personally I never crimp cables anymore, I just buy the premade ones and krone the cables to RJ45 sockets either singly or in a patch panel

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭HTB

THanks Xantia for the advice.

I started looking at different types of connector this morning following your post and have discovered that there are types out there that have "load bars".
    These seem to make the assembley easier as they slide and lock into the connector before crimping.

I always try to avoid crimping as well and use wall sockets or pre-made leads. Unfortunately Im working on a job where I will need to crimp a few long leads.
    I was practicing last night and was removing the burr on the end of the cables with an old light file. Still tricky to get it all together.

Think I might invest in a few of the expensive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

These tools are fantastic, not cheap, but totally worth it in timed saved and perfect connections

http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/1339

You have to buy the connectors as well.

U strip a few inches of the wires, straighten them out with the cable cover you just took off, then slide em in to the RJ45 connector. Easy to check then if the color code is correct. When you pull them tight, you crimp as normal and the tool cuts the excess wire at same time.

Advertisement