Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB arundel sq to close

Options
  • 26-07-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

I hear PTSB bank in Arundel square is to be closed down as part of their cost cutting.Not surprising I suppose given the state of banking in this country, and online banking.

I am a customer (mug:p) of this branch so I will have to go to probably the branch in the Hyper centre which I find to be a bit slow generally.Of course I do most of my banking online anyway, though on some occasions I do have to go into a bank.

Just thinking I opened my first bank account when they were "Trustee Savings Bank" in O Connell Street.I am with them ever since.I still get the odd document with that address still on the form:D.

http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/157802.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0726/1224320829094.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ghost town :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Starting to look that way alright. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I used to bank with them in Lisduggan, changed to the hyper when that closed. Actually just used the arundel square branch today, bit of a nuisance not having any in town now!

My mam still has my trustie savings book from 1985,(with that yellow hippo!)she found it a few weeks back, wonder would I have much interest on my savings?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

michellie wrote: »
    I used to bank with them in Lisduggan

I didnt know they closed that too.

Poor ould banks are having a tough time of it right now.

• Advertisement

I wonder would I have much interest on my savings?!:D

Nama are probably after taking it over, with the rich person you are, having all that dormant account building up since then:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

Ardkeen Branch is to go as well I believe... ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I was in the Gingerman yesterday talking to the owner (he's after buying the Three Shippes) and he was thanking 3 girls for their custom down the years. He was genuinely gutted for them but also told me that they were brilliant customers. So many knock on effects of things like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They'll leave two open - remember they are "only" closing 16 branches. Anyway the whole concept of a customer being tied to a particular branch is very old school. My account is with Arundel Square (Broad Street as was) but I haven't been inside it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

So will we be left without a PTSB bank machine in town center if arundel square closes :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why assume that? They could keep a hole in the wall there or maybe put one in Georges Court or City Square.

Any ATM works of course and if its your bank balance you are after - go online.

Ferrybank AIB closing too (aswell as Kilmacthomas & Tallow. I had no idea there was one in Tallow :/)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

mike65 wrote: »
    Why assume that? They could keep a hole in the wall there or maybe put one in Georges Court or City Square.

I didnt assume i just asked the question.
    Reason i ask is because when they closed in Lisduggan the bank machine was removed as well.
    Not any ATM works if you want to take money out of a second account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

Would it not be more "logical" and correct me if im wrong, but to close the PTSB in ardkeen, they only really need an ATM for the pubs and restaurants at night etc.
    I thought it was a bad decision closing Lisduggan(although there are two others in the area) but not leaving the ATM was bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

mike65 wrote: »

Yea but you cant lodge money into a hole in the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

Yea but you cant lodge money into a hole in the wall.

True Michelle, but they would need ones like they have in the branches, as far as I know you couldnt lodge money into the credit union ones around the city. They are also terminating their ATM service as far as im aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Thats a major pain in the ass now. Lodging money just got a whole lot harder, especially since I rarely have any business up near the hyper and walking up there isnt very practical a lot of the time. adds about 10-15 mins each way extra :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Thats a major pain in the ass now. Lodging money just got a whole lot harder, especially since I rarely have any business up near the hyper and walking up there isnt very practical a lot of the time. adds about 10-15 mins each way extra :mad:
    On the way up to lodge money, call into Spokes and buy a bike. It'll cut down the 10-15 minutes! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

On the way up to lodge money, call into Spokes and buy a bike. It'll cut down the 10-15 minutes! :D

That'd be great if I lived in the city and not in the barren hole countryside

Slightly off topic, but do you know what the bank the ATM is that's near the tesco store in Ardkeen is.Of all the times I have taken out money from it, I dont know what it is.

The reason I ask is that for the last two times, I am unable to take out any money from it.It goes through all the steps until I actually want to take it out and it says the "service is unavailable at this time , try later".Is it ULster Bank?

Other people can take out money, so it must be my card in this particular machine (my card will work in other machines) or my account.So if you saw a person cursing while removing a card from this machine, that was me:D

I really would love if more ATMs would allow people to lodge money aswell as take it out apart from the ones in the banks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

These changes don't mean that much to us but to the elder people who don't trust internet banking and some don't even"trust" ATM cards(in my family anyway) the use of less banks will be hard on them.
    I've finally managed to get my 72 year old mother to get a visa debit(the thing she values the most is seeing the balance in her account!as small asit is). My 82 year old uncle refuses to get rid of his book. They actually refuse to print it for him now(prob can't as their computer/printers have changed) but he won't give it up so they have to write it for him.
    It's these I feel will suffer the most and they are the longest loyal supporting customers. Me..log on..do whats required..log off!

jimmyw wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but do you know what the bank the ATM is that's near the tesco store in Ardkeen is.Of all the times I have taken out money from it, I dont know what it is.

The reason I ask is that for the last two times, I am unable to take out any money from it.It goes through all the steps until I actually want to take it out and it says the "service is unavailable at this time , try later".Is it ULster Bank?
    Pretty sure its Ulster Bank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Walking from Theatre Royal to GPO today and counted 17 vacant/empty buildings that once had a business running out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Can't believe they are closing the city centre branch, I was saying on another thread that I thought the Hyper one might go as it was closer to the Arundel Square one. Some pain for their customers who work in the city centre and go there during their lunch hour not to mention the loss of jobs! That was my first job actually, I was only 17, got a job in the branch next to the Cathedral, loved it and have banked with them ever since. Sincerely hope staff get transfers elsewhere if possible.

thomasm wrote: »
    Walking from Theatre Royal to GPO today and counted 17 vacant/empty buildings that once had a business running out of them

Along the quay or through town? Although either way thats incredibly depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

thomasm wrote: »

Along the quay or through town? Although either way thats incredibly depressing.

Just down past Reginald's tower and onto Quay unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

A new women's clothes shop opened up near Argos today. They have stores in Wexico and Carlow too. Once upon a time I wouldn't have batted an eyelid about a woman's shop, but now I'm just happy to see a new shop at all!! :o

Ersk, or Elsk or something along those lines it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The banks machines in Tesco Ardkeen are Ulster bank, people only started to use them again the end of last week, after all the Ulster Bank stuff.

Usually they only have €50 every second day but recently they've been fully stocked!

Didnt realise the AIB in Ferrybank was closing, have lodged a few cheques in there. It was handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

They said that they are closing the ones that are doing 20% business of other branches :
    The bank said that these branches typically carry out on average 20% of the transaction volumes of other AIB branches

• Advertisement

Thanks, that might explain why I cant take it out.I know yeah I can use my visa debit card, but I want to have some change this time.

Advertisement