Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Prediction Thread

• 27-07-2012 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

What do you think will happen in the season ahead. Players/teams that will do well/progress/regress.

Looks like the battle for top spot could be close again and there could a lot of jockeying for the CL spots again. Who's going down etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I think Spurs and Newcastle will struggle to get top 5 spots again. Can see QPR and Reading going down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm finding it very difficult to pick the bottom three this year. IMO the first 14 clubs I have listed will finish in the top 14 (in whatever order, more than likely not the order I've picked :pac:) and any of the next 6 could go down.

I'll make a stab at the league anyway:

1) Man City
    2) Man Utd
    3) Chelsea
    4) Arsenal

5) Tottenham
    6) Liverpool
    7) Everton

8) Newcastle
    9) Sunderland
    10) Fulham
    11) Aston Villa
    12) Stoke
    13) QPR
    14) West Ham
    15) Wigan
    16) West Brom
    17) Swansea

18) Norwich
    19) Reading
    20) Southampton

At the top, I'd have to say the two Manchester clubs will be fighting it out again with Chelsea much closer than 3rd place usually is. Arsenal will finish in the top 4 as usual. I'm not a fan of either AVB or Rodgers but they should both be able to do enough to finish comfortably in the top 6 yet miles away from the top 4. Everton are Everton and will struggle until Christmas before charging up the table to take their usual 7th spot, giving Liverpool and Spurs are a late season fright in the process.

Outside of the European places, Newcastle's first 11 is currently on a different level to anything anyone else aiming for that ''best of the rest'' spot can offer, but the extra European games will cause them to struggle to replicate last season. Sunderland, Fulham and Villa will all be challenging to finish inside the top 10 and they're all pretty close. As things stand Sunderland are probably the worst equipped of the 3 to do so but I also think by the end of the window we'll sign Fletcher, a winger and a couple of others and that would give me enough confidence to think we'll take that 9th place. If Bent stays fit all season I wouldn't be surprised to see Villa pip Fulham for 10th. Stoke and QPR will do enough at home to finish comfortably mid-table, although with a tough start things might get hairy for Pulis (see Bolton last season). I feel West Ham will be absolutely fine and are miles ahead of the other two promoted teams. Being based in London and lashing monstrous wages at players helps of course, but they will cause a few shocks next year IMO and shouldn't have any relegation fears.

Here's where it gets tricky, especially since we haven't seen all transfer business yet. Currently, any of these 6 could go down IMO. I'd fancy Wigan to stay up purely on the fact that they've done so so many times despite being fancied to go down, however, they've usually always had one player who can bail them out of trouble (Valencia, N'Zogbia, Moses) and if Moses goes this summer it will be the first time they don't really have anyone who can change a game out of nothing. That said Martinez will probably use that 3-4-3 formation from the word go and I'd tip them to survive. Steve Clarke doesn't inspire me with any confidence at all but with a tough defence and a couple of strikers who know where the net is, they should be able to survive. Swansea or Norwich? One of these will drop IMO, but which one? Both with new managers, although Swansea will probably play a style of football very similar to the one Rodgers played before he departed so might be in better shape going forward. Getting Holt's deal done was big for Norwich and I like their signing of Turner at the back. That said, if I had to pick, I'm going to say Swansea to survive, purely because I think the players will be better equipped as they won't have to change their style as dramatically as Norwich will under Hughton. Reading were excellent in the second half of the Championship season, but if they start as slow as they did last year they'll be gone by Christmas. They've added a few players but only two stand out for me. They've added a striker who seems to know the net is in Pogrebynak and a very good, underrated midfielder in Guthrie, but they have a very small squad in terms of quality and I have a niggling feeling that Pogrebnyak will turn out to be a bust. Just a hunch. As for Southampton, I just can't see them doing enough to stay up. I feel their defence will leak goals week after week, if their full backs try to get forward as much as they did last season they will get murdered and I don't think they'll get the 10 + goals they'll expect from Rodriquez after spending £7m and breaking their transfer record on him.

I'd actually like to see all 3 teams I've predicted to go down stay up, and given my record over the last few seasons they probably will :pac:

As for top scorer, if Van Persie stays in the Premier League it'll be between him, Rooney and Aguero. I think Torres will have a much improved season in the Premier League (remember he did collect trophy after trophy in other competitions last year) but I think he'll fall just outside those 3. I give it to Van Persie if he stays at Arsenal as he takes every penalty and free kick. If Van Persie goes to Man City or abroad I'd go for Rooney. If Van Persie goes to United I'd go for Aguero. So many different outcomes :pac:

Player of the year, hard to call this one, but if Man City do win the league as predicted I think it will be Kompany's to lose because he'll be such an integral part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

1) man city
    2) Chelsea
    3) man utd
    4) spurs
    5) arsenal
    6) everton
    7) Liverpool
    8) Newcastle
    9) fulham
    10) villa
    11) Sunderland
    12) west ham
    13) stoke
    14) reading
    15) wigan
    16) Swansea
    17) Southampton
    18) qpr
    19) west brom
    20) Norwich

Stephen Ireland to have a blinder, and el ahmadi to prove bargain of the season

Maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

QPR to finish in the top 12, Norwich to struggle big time, Liverpool to get back into Europe, United to wrestle the league back from the other lot. Chelsea to implode (again) and Di Matteo to be gone by the end of November. Everton to start the season well for a change and Arsenal to drop out of the top 4 this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

1) Man City
    2) Chelsea
    3) Man Utd
    4) Arsenal

5) Liverpool
    6) Spurs
    7) Newcastle

8) Everton
    9) Sunderland
    10) Fulham

11) West Brom
    12) Stoke City
    13) Aston Villa
    14) Swansea
    15) Norwich
    16) Wigan
    17) West Ham

18) QPR
    19) Reading
    20) Southampton

I think less than 10 points will separate 1st from 3rd and 4th from 6th

Relegation battle may go down to the wire and any three of the bottom six could easily go down imo

I'm making assumptions on how strong I think squads are going to be come September first, so I'm probably way off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Some predictions:

United will finish outside the top 2.

City will be hammered by a bottom 10 side.

<SNIP>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

colly_06 wrote: »
    Some predictions:

<SNIP>

WTF, man?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Haha a bit morbid I know :o Just have it in my head for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bookmarked for review mid May. :)

Love these threads!

I'll be on with my predictions once I have a proper look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

kryogen wrote: »
    Liverpool to get back into Europe

They already are back in Europe!
    kryogen wrote: »
    Arsenal to drop out of the top 4 this season.

We get that every year in these threads but we still always manage it. Maybe this'll be the year.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    They already are back in Europe!

We get that every year in these threads but we still always manage it. Maybe this'll be the year.

Meh, its the first year I have felt Arsenal would be outside the top 4 in quite some time, and if I need to make it clear, Liverpool to be top 6. That better?

cson wrote: »
    Bookmarked for review mid May. :)

Love these threads!

I'll be on with my predictions once I have a proper look at it.

Ah bud get with the programme! Ill thought out sweeping statements are the order of the day here surely? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

what id like to see:
    liverpool to get top 4
    arsenal to put together a title challenge.
    southampton, wigan to stay up
    qpr, west ham to go down

what i think will happen:
    man city to walk it, ahead of chelsea & united
    laudrup to continue the good work in wales.
    southampton, norwich to go down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Will not do a definitive table until closer to the season start and when most clubs have made their last few transfers.

Title Contenders

Man City will be favourites and rightly so. Man Utd's squad is lacking depth and some quality but they are always strong challengers so can see the title race going to the death again. Chelsea are the most interesting challengers, they have made all the right signings but I have my suspicions that RDM is not the man to get them playing well, they will have the quality but will lack the leadership which will cost them as real contenders.

Fourth Spot

I have nearly always predicted Liverpool for this spot the last few years, so will go for it once again. With a new manager and playing a more stylish form of football they should be good to watch and can see them taking a lot of points off the teams around them and more importantly the teams below them. Spurs will fall short again this season, I think AVB will need at least another season to make them challengers again. Arsenal are experts now at getting 4th spot so I am expect them to be real challengers again no matter who is in their squad. Newcastle will be there abouts but European football will take its toll and can see them drifting away towards mid-table.

Mid Table

Everton, Sunderland, Aston Villa, West Ham, Stoke, and Fulham. The regulars basically. West Ham should comfortably stay up, can splash the cash in January if they need to stay up. All the others look under no threat of going down, more likely to make a run for a European spot.

Relegation Mix

That leaves 7 teams in the relegation mix. I think QPR will stay up, have the experience now and should be stay up quite comfortably at the end. Swansea, new manager but the same tactics and system should mean they are once again safe. West Brom, new manager as well but they have enough quality in their team to stay up. Southampton have made some good signings, them staying up depends on whether their strikers can score enough. If they can then they should be able to stay up.

Relegation

I think this is finally Wigan's year to go down, if they lose Moses I can not see them coping with that. Do not believe Martinez will have the ability to bring in a quality player to cover that loss. They leak goals and now without a striker they should be prime candidates to go down. Reading are lacking some quality in their squad, Guthrie is a good signing for them but their new striker I think will prove to be a dud. I think to have any chance of safety though they will need to put together a unbeaten streak like last season. Can not see them being that lucky this season. I think Hughton is a very good manager but it is a tough ask for him to take over a PL side. Hard for him now to adapt a new system to a team while still learning as a manager. They probably of the 3 teams I have mentioned have the best chance of staying up but I think Norwich will struggle to adapt to a new way of playing and Hughton's managerial inexperience could cost them.

Player of the season will probably be Aguero, who will also be top goalscorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

1st-Man City
    2nd-Man Utd
    3rd-Chelski*
    4th-Liverpool

*Depends if RVP leaves Arsenal, if he stays swap Chelski with Arsenal.

18th-Swansea
    19th-West Brom
    20th-Reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

My prediction anyway :

1) Man City
    2) Man Utd
    3) Chelsea
    4) Arsenal

5) Tottenham
    6) Newcastle
    7) Liverpool

8) Everton
    9) Sunderland
    10) Aston Villa
    11) Fulham
    12) Stoke
    13) Norwich
    14) Swansea
    15) QPR
    16) West Brom
    17) West Ham

18) Wigan
    19) Reading
    20) Southampton

City are favoruties to retain but I'd expect United to push them all the way again, I'd hope we can push both Manchester clubs until April/May for the title and we'll finish above Arsenal by 3 points are less.

Spurs, Newcastle & Liverpool to battle out for 5th - 8th but I'm expecting all top 8 teams to be in with a shout to get top 4 up until early April.

Relegation, Wigan have survived by the skin of their teeth for the last 2 seasons, I dont think it will hold out this season and I'm expecting newcomers Soputhampton and Reading to go straight back down and for West Ham to be in a dog fight all season, flirting with releagtion.

Top Scorer : Aguero
    Most Assists : Mata
    Most Clean Sheets : Hart
    Player of the year : Aguero

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

And mine ...

1) Man City
    2) Chelsea
    3) Arsenal
    4) Man Utd

5) Liverpool
    6) Tottenham
    7) Newcastle

8) Fulham
    9) Everton
    10) Aston Villa
    11) Sunderland
    12) Norwich
    13) Stoke
    14) Swansea
    15) QPR
    16) Reading
    17) Southampton

18) Wigan
    19) West Ham
    20) West Brom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bit surprised at the unanimous decision of City winning the league so far. To be honest, I wouldn't have them as favourites, given the fact that they will no longer be offering £200k a week contracts as they now consider themselves established as a top club. If anything, I think City will finish third this season.

Chelsea will finish first. Torres will get 20 goals and his partnership with Hazard and Mata will tear up the league just like Man City did with Aguero and Silva. I think the blend of quality new players and experienced old heads will be enough for Chelsea this season. Man United will finish second. Kagawa will have a decent season, but once again I think central midfield is going to be a weak area for United this season.

The final Champions League spot is going to be an almighty tussle between Arsenal and Liverpool. Liverpool in particular will be rejuvenated under Brendan Rodgers, who will be shown to be a very canny manager by the end of the season. The return of our star players (Lucas, Agger) will be the difference and get Liverpool into fourth place. Arsenal will push us close, but the loss of their big stars is finally going to take its toll this season and push Arsenal into fifth place for the first time in years.

Other predictions? AVB will alienate his team once again and Spurs will do worse than expected. Expected him to be sacked by the end of the season. Harry Redknapp to be vindicated. I think puke football will take another knock this season, as the Premier League increasingly try to become more continental. Stoke City will be the big shock of the season not because they have done so well, but because how badly they will have struggled. I predict 17th or 18th for them. The Norwich City bubble will also burst this season and Hughton will take them down. Whittaker, Snodgrass and Butterfield don't exactly inspire me as players who can do the business at this level.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Everton top 6 finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Meh.. all these predictions seem pretty by-the-book.

Where's the sex scandals, love triangles, super-injunctions, racism rows, nightclub fracas, speeding tickets, fireworks indoors, etc?

Don't mind your league tables, it's the extra-curriculars that enthrall us all.

P.S.. Balotelli to have been involved in all of the above by Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Meh.. all these predictions seem pretty by-the-book.

Where's the sex scandals, love triangles, super-injunctions, racism rows, nightclub fracas, speeding tickets, fireworks indoors, etc?

Don't mind your league tables, it's the extra-curriculars that enthrall us all.

P.S.. Balotelli to have been involved in all of the above at Man City's Christmas Party.

Fixed that for ya. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

1st-Chelsea
    2nd-Man City
    3rd-Man United
    4th-Liverpool
    5th-Arsenal
    6th-Aston Villa

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

United champions, City second, Arsenal/Chelsea in the remaining CL spots and the rest someway distant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I remember I did one of these last year with a friend of mine - I had Wolves and Bolton to finish comfortably mid-table, possibly even had one of them top 10 I think!

Also I had Newcastle down in the relegation battle, around 16th or something.

It will be hard to predict that's all I'll say, although you'd have to expect the 2 Manchester clubs to top the table, with City rightly being the favourites.

Chelsea are the hardest team to predict. They have big money players, but how will De Mateo fare? Completely unproven at challenging for the title which he will be expected to do. How will Torres do? He's been largely awful for Chelsea and has a very bad scoring rate, but showed signs at the Euros that he might still have something about him. With Drogba gone he will probably be main man and his form will be vital for Chelsea. Not to mention all the new players. Are Hazard, Hulk etc.. as good as their price tags suggest?

Chelsea could finish anywhere between 1st and 6th in my opinion. Anything between 65 and 90 points. Who knows. My guess would be about 75 points and Champions League qualification in 3rd or 4th, but nothing would surprise me.

Spurs are similarly unpredictable, but if they lose Modric I see them falling somewhat short of CL places. How will AVB fare? Such a highly rated manager but flopped at Chelsea. I think Spurs will finish in 5th or 6th but couldn't be sure.

Liverpool very very hard to predict also. Last year dominated the majority of matches but lacked the final finish. One could argue that if they find that they'll be in the mix for CL places, but one could also argue that they finished so far off the pace last year that they can not be expected to challenge this year. Then there's Rodgers that Liverpool fans have very differing opinions of. Will his playing style help or will it take the players too long to adapt? Another manager unproven at this level, so who knows. I think Liverpool will be good enough to challenge but will just fall short, but who knows. I wouldn't write them off for fourth.

Arsenal are always there or thereabouts, but I don't think it's hyperbolic to suggest they would not have got into the CL places last year without RVP. How they deal with his likely loss will be interesting and I would imagine they are at their longest odds in years to qualify for the CL. They've brought in Podolski and Girou, and have been strongly linked to M'Vila and Cazorla - all very good players. I still think it would be foolish to predict Arsenal falling out of the top 4 - they're always there. But if RVP goes their new signings will have to perform. I think they'll finish 3rd or 4th in the end though.

Newcastle I think will struggle to keep pace with the top teams and will not challenge for the Champions League, as playing in Europe will take its toll somewhat. I wrote them off all last year though and they proved me wrong though!

At the bottom of the table I think we'll see 1 newly promoted side go down, 1 promoted side from last year to follow and 1 side that's been in the Premiership for a while. I'll go for Southampton, Wigan and Norwich.

Will do a full table when all the signings are sorted, pretty difficult to call it now with so many squads unfinished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its July. Ask me on Sept 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I reckon something like this.....

1. Man Utd
    2. Man City
    3. Chelsea
    4. Arsenal
    5. Tottenham
    6. Liverpool

Chelsea, spurs and liverpool all have inexperienced and largely unproven managers so it could go either way for those clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

City
    Chelsea
    Spurs
    Man Utd
    Newcastle
    Arsenal

relegated

Norwich
    Reading
    Swansea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Scholes and Giggs to sign new contracts :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Anyone wrote: »
    1st-Man City
    2nd-Man Utd
    3rd-Chelski*
    4th-Liverpool

*Depends if RVP leaves Arsenal, if he stays swap Chelski with Arsenal.

18th-Swansea
    19th-West Brom
    20th-Reading

You must be a Liverpool fan :pac:

If RVP stays, Chelsea will miraculously fall out of the top four and Arsenal will come 3rd. But Liverpool still stay 4th? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Man.United
    Chelsea
    Man.City
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    Everton
    Sunderland
    West Ham
    Stoke
    QPR
    Fulham
    Newcastle
    Norwich
    Aston Villa
    Reading
    Wigan
    West Brom
    Swansea
    Southampton

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

As usual I'll be on my knees praying that this will be the season we see the back of Stoke. Please, let it be this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

can't believe so many see QPR srtuggling and being relegated - now that Sparky has assembled his team , i can see them as a top 10 - Green, Park, Junior, Nelson will add to Wright Phillips, Zamora, Taabart and Barton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

1. Man City (comfortably)
    2. man Utd
    3. Chelsea
    4. ARsenal

In my opinion the top 4 is fairly predictible. Think City will win handy this year with Chelsea not doing half as well as people think. United will do enough to get second. Arsenal will get top 4 with a good bit to spare with not much real competition.

5. Liverpool
    6. Everton
    7. SUnderland

Yes I hate saying it but I think S'land have a big season in them. Only for a desperate start last season they'd have finished way higher (note they were on the beach for most of April/May). Everton to finally make a decent start to the season. They'll have a super home record. L'pool will probably do enough for 5th but I think the top 4 will be well sewn up before the end of the season.

8. SPurs
    9. Newcastle.

Think both of these will have disappointing seasons. Can't see Cisse being half as effective unfortunately.

10. Stoke
    11. Villa
    12. Fulham

These three will be well safe.

13. West Ham
    14. Wigan

Both of these will prob be confirmed safe with about two games to go

15. Swansea
    16. QPR
    17. Reading
    18. Norwich
    19. West Brom
    20. Southampton

Relegation will be decided on the last day with 5/these 6 teams in the mix. Hard to call though. Think S'hampton will go down early with a disappointing year.

Other predictions

Player of year- Aguero
    Golden Boot- Rooney
    Manager of year- David Moyes
    First Manager Sacked- Mark Hughes

Van Persie to join City and fail to impress. kagawa to be a flop. De Gea to have a huge year. Andy Carroll to be outstanding for West ham. Joey barton to go in January :pac:

Looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

1. Man City
    2. Man Utd
    3. Arsenal
    4. Chelsea
    5. Liverpool
    6. Newcastle
    7. My beloved Spurs
    8. Everton
    9. QPR
    10. Sunderland
    11. Fulham
    12. Aston Villa
    13. Stoke City
    14. West Ham
    15. West Brom
    16. Wigan
    17. Reading
    18. Swansea
    19. Norwich
    20. Southampton

I say the race for the title will be another tight affair with Man City coming out on top. Kills me to say this but I think Arsenal will have a good season. They've added some quality players and I don't think RVP leaving them will hinder them too much. Look at how they did when Fabregas left! I think the race for 4th will be won by Chelsea simply because of the quality players they have. I don't think RDM is as good as everyone is making him out to be. He was fortunate to win the CL and his Prem League form wasn't great.

I think Liverpool will have a good season and they'll finish 5th. Newcastle will have another good season, their main threat (last season, well 2nd half of it) Cissé might be in danger of second season syndrome but i'm sure he'll be banging them in! As for Spurs, I was probably one of few people who were very optimistic with the appointment of AVB but atm Defoe is our only senior striker. I'm sure we'll get some players in before the transfer window closes but I just have a horrible feeling we won't do as well this season as before. Hopefully i'm wrong though and we'll go on to win the league... :pac:

The rest of the places could go to any team. Everton will probably start off slow like previous seasons. If not, they could easily finish top 6!

I can't believe people are thinking QPR are for the drop!? They have brought in some quality players and Mark Hughes is no mug, he wouldn't get them relegated. They could even make a top 10 finish imo.

The likes of Fulham, Stoke City, Sunderland and Villa will have their usual standard season. I doubt any of these teams will have a relegation battle on their hands. I can't see Villa having the same struggles as last season. I think Sunderland might charge for a Europa League spot, I like Steve Bruce and hope the Irish lads have a good season, especially McClean to be banging them in!

I think West Ham will have a sound season. I hate them and Sam Allardyce with a passion but to be fair, their fans deserve PL football. I think they'll have a good solid season and will spring a few surprise results throughout the season! I would love it LOVE IT if they get relegated! (WH 1-0 Man Utd)

I think West Brom will struggle under Steve Clarke but I love their signing of Lukaku on loan. I say he'll get them enough goals to survive. Then again Steve Clarke could turn out to be a great appointment and West Brom could challenge for a top 10 finish.

Wigan should be in a relegation battle. They definitely will be but they love their great escapes. I still can't believe they survived last season. Keeping hold of Martinez has been their best signing all season. They definitely will struggle but I can see them surviving just about. However, with their shocking support at their home games they deserve to be relegated.

Reading I don't know why but I think they will just about survive! I was convinced that they would try and sign old boys like Kevin Doyle and Stephen Hunt but maybe they will towards the end of the transfer window. I can't believe they managed to sign Pavel Pogrebnyak. He was a great signing for Fulham. Give him the ball and he will definitely get them goals. I hope Noel Hunt and Ian Harte have great season.s Unbelievable to see Ian Harte Harte Harte back playing in the PL! I've heard some great stuff about Alex Pearce and I just have that feeling they will survive!

Southapmpton Looking at their squad, they should find it really difficult to survive.

Swansea and Norwich both had an incredible season last year. I think both of these will get relegated because of second season syndrome and because they both have changed their manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

To all: It is Newcastle's third consecutive season in the EPL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

To all: It is Newcastle's third consecutive season in the EPL.

I didn't make it clear, I meant Cisse's second season with Newcastle, although it will be his first full season!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

1) Man Utd
    2) City
    3) Chelsea
    4) Arsenal

5) Spurs
    6) Liverpool
    7) Sunderland

8) Newcastle
    9) Everton
    10) Fulham
    11) Stoke
    12) Villa
    13) Norwich
    14) Swansea
    15) QPR
    16) West ham
    17) Southampton

18) Wigan
    19) Reading
    20) West Brom

Final prediction. No going back!

1. City
    2. Utd
    3. Arsenal
    4. Chelsea
    5. Pool
    6. Everton
    7. Sunderland
    8. Spurs
    9. Newcastle
    10. Fulham
    11. Villa
    12. West Ham
    13. Wigan
    14. Stoke
    15. Swansea
    16. QPR
    17. Reading
    18. Norwich
    19. West Brom
    20. Southampton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

1) Man Utd
    2) Man City
    3) Arsenal
    4) Liverpool

5) Chelsea
    6) Tottenham
    7) Everton

8) Newcastle
    9) Swansea
    10) West Ham
    11) QPR
    12) Stoke
    13) Sunderland
    14) Fulham
    15) Aston Villa
    16) Wigan
    17) Norwich

18) West Brom
    19) Reading
    20) Southampton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

United will beat city by a few points.
    Arsenal and chelski will have the toughest year yet for top 4.
    Chelsea throwing all their money at the same type of player and arsenal selling the one man band.
    Matteo and boas i think will show they arnt deserving of their posts.
    Qpr should be fairly decent after a jumpy start.
    Sunderland and everton to do better than expected.
    Crouch will score atleast one header from a long throwin .
    West brom to fail spectacularly with steve clark given the elbow around christmas.maybe reading and southampton in there as well.
    Wigan to do alot better than last year . Maybe just outside top ten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Updated all transfers (so far) on FIFA 12 and ran a simulated season, random, but as good as a guess.

Top 4:
    Man Utd 88 pts
    Liverpool 85 pts
    Man City 83 pts
    Chelsea 78 pts

Wigan, Reading and West Brom relegated.

Top Goalscorer:
    Van Persie 23 goals
    Suarez 21 goals
    Augero 20 goals

Wonder what the odds are on those.

Updated all transfers (so far) on FIFA 12 and ran a simulated season, random, but as good as a guess.

Top 4:
    Man Utd 88 pts
    Liverpool 85 pts
    Man City 83 pts
    Chelsea 78 pts

Wigan, Reading and West Brom relegated.

Top Goalscorer:
    Van Persie 23 goals
    Suarez 21 goals
    Augero 20 goals

Wonder what the odds are on those.

Lol. I'd be amazed if Rooney wasn't top 3 scorers. Think he'll definitely bag more than RVP.

Liverpool finishing above City! Now that's good odds :D

Anyway I Honestly think the Arsenal will have a great season. Very easy say ah sure they've lost their main man they'll struggle. As someone said in another thread if they lost RVP a month ago and since brought in Santi, Poldi and Giroud people would be so much more optimistic. And United are a big CM away from winning title imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

1) Man City
    2) United
    3) Chelsea
    4) Arsenal
    5) Spurs
    6) Everton
    7) Newcaslte
    8) Sunderland
    9) Liverpool

Relegation:

Reading
    QPR
    Southampton

Top Scorer: Aguero
    Flop of the season: RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

1) Man Utd
    2) Man City
    3) Arsenal
    4) Chelsea
    5) Liverpool
    6) Spurs
    7) Everton
    8) Newcastle
    9) Sunderland
    10) Villa
    11) Fulham
    12) Stoke
    13) Q.P.R.
    14) W. Ham
    15) Norwich
    16) Swansea
    17) W. Brom

18) Reading
    19) Wigan
    20) Southampton

Player of the year: Nemanja Vidic

Manager of the year: Fergie

Top scorer: Aguero

Other predictions:

- Mancini will be sacked at the end of a disappointing season.
    - AVB won't last the season as Spurs struggle.
    - Di Matteo will be sacked around March.

I can see a big managerial merry-go-round this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Everyones saying wigan will getcrekegated . They actually did a bit of business this window aparantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

United champons quite comfortably.
    City, chelsea and arse top 4.
    Spurs 5th.Between newky and lfc for 6th.

Swansea, Norwich and Reading to go down. Villa to stay up by default only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    I'm finding it very difficult to pick the bottom three this year. IMO the first 14 clubs I have listed will finish in the top 14 (in whatever order, more than likely not the order I've picked :pac:) and any of the next 6 could go down.

I'll make a stab at the league anyway:

1) Man City
    2) Man Utd
    3) Chelsea
    4) Arsenal

5) Tottenham
    6) Liverpool
    7) Everton

8) Newcastle
    9) Sunderland
    10) Fulham
    11) Aston Villa
    12) Stoke
    13) QPR
    14) West Ham
    15) Wigan
    16) West Brom
    17) Swansea

18) Norwich
    19) Reading
    20) Southampton

At the top, I'd have to say the two Manchester clubs will be fighting it out again with Chelsea much closer than 3rd place usually is. Arsenal will finish in the top 4 as usual. I'm not a fan of either AVB or Rodgers but they should both be able to do enough to finish comfortably in the top 6 yet miles away from the top 4. Everton are Everton and will struggle until Christmas before charging up the table to take their usual 7th spot, giving Liverpool and Spurs are a late season fright in the process.

Outside of the European places, Newcastle's first 11 is currently on a different level to anything anyone else aiming for that ''best of the rest'' spot can offer, but the extra European games will cause them to struggle to replicate last season. Sunderland, Fulham and Villa will all be challenging to finish inside the top 10 and they're all pretty close. As things stand Sunderland are probably the worst equipped of the 3 to do so but I also think by the end of the window we'll sign Fletcher, a winger and a couple of others and that would give me enough confidence to think we'll take that 9th place. If Bent stays fit all season I wouldn't be surprised to see Villa pip Fulham for 10th. Stoke and QPR will do enough at home to finish comfortably mid-table, although with a tough start things might get hairy for Pulis (see Bolton last season). I feel West Ham will be absolutely fine and are miles ahead of the other two promoted teams. Being based in London and lashing monstrous wages at players helps of course, but they will cause a few shocks next year IMO and shouldn't have any relegation fears.

Here's where it gets tricky, especially since we haven't seen all transfer business yet. Currently, any of these 6 could go down IMO. I'd fancy Wigan to stay up purely on the fact that they've done so so many times despite being fancied to go down, however, they've usually always had one player who can bail them out of trouble (Valencia, N'Zogbia, Moses) and if Moses goes this summer it will be the first time they don't really have anyone who can change a game out of nothing. That said Martinez will probably use that 3-4-3 formation from the word go and I'd tip them to survive. Steve Clarke doesn't inspire me with any confidence at all but with a tough defence and a couple of strikers who know where the net is, they should be able to survive. Swansea or Norwich? One of these will drop IMO, but which one? Both with new managers, although Swansea will probably play a style of football very similar to the one Rodgers played before he departed so might be in better shape going forward. Getting Holt's deal done was big for Norwich and I like their signing of Turner at the back. That said, if I had to pick, I'm going to say Swansea to survive, purely because I think the players will be better equipped as they won't have to change their style as dramatically as Norwich will under Hughton. Reading were excellent in the second half of the Championship season, but if they start as slow as they did last year they'll be gone by Christmas. They've added a few players but only two stand out for me. They've added a striker who seems to know the net is in Pogrebynak and a very good, underrated midfielder in Guthrie, but they have a very small squad in terms of quality and I have a niggling feeling that Pogrebnyak will turn out to be a bust. Just a hunch. As for Southampton, I just can't see them doing enough to stay up. I feel their defence will leak goals week after week, if their full backs try to get forward as much as they did last season they will get murdered and I don't think they'll get the 10 + goals they'll expect from Rodriquez after spending £7m and breaking their transfer record on him.

I'd actually like to see all 3 teams I've predicted to go down stay up, and given my record over the last few seasons they probably will :pac:

As for top scorer, if Van Persie stays in the Premier League it'll be between him, Rooney and Aguero. I think Torres will have a much improved season in the Premier League (remember he did collect trophy after trophy in other competitions last year) but I think he'll fall just outside those 3. I give it to Van Persie if he stays at Arsenal as he takes every penalty and free kick. If Van Persie goes to Man City or abroad I'd go for Rooney. If Van Persie goes to United I'd go for Aguero. So many different outcomes :pac:

Player of the year, hard to call this one, but if Man City do win the league as predicted I think it will be Kompany's to lose because he'll be such an integral part of it.

Who is this clown?

Advertisement