Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Regulations January 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Thanks for that, but the 2 links don't seem to be working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, but the 2 links don't seem to be working.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%20A%20Bikes%20chart%203rd%20directive%20@%2018%20July%202012%20V2.pdf

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%20B%20FAQ's%20Bikes.pdf

The most important thing people on their LP need to understand is that unless they pass their test before January 19 2013 they WILL be affected by these new rules even though they were issued their LP before this date.

For instance:

18 year old who holds an "A" LP and passes their test on the 15th January 2013 but doesn't apply for their Licence until 19th (New rules) they will be issued an A2 licence which restricts them to bikes up to 35kw. In order for them to get a full "A" they have to wait 2 years before taking another test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Thanx FOOOK I got my full licence after waiting the 6 mths.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Whah happens if your over 24?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

**** you too RSA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I don't understand. So if your over 24, there is no more restriction on power. You can hop on a 1000c full power bike? I'm pretty sure I was no more or less crazy at 24 then at 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Am I the only one who finds it a bit sketchy that they announce that test date will decide if you're affected, and not when you got your learner's permit, on July 18th, the deadline for getting a permit if you're to have any hope of taking the test before the changes come in? Very dodgy IMO.

Also will it not render units in the >50CC <120CC range unsellable, since you cannot use them for the test and <250CC units are nigh-impossible to rent for the test?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Right - I have full license, but I about 8 months into the 2 year restriction period, so I am restricted to driving 25kW (33bhp) bikes. So from 19th January 2012, the restricted bikes can be of 35kW, which is 46.6 bhp.

My bike in it's unrestricted state produces 70 kW (95 bhp), so I can't just get rid of the restriction, but I can change 33 bhp to 46.6 bhp if I wish.

Hmm, not sure if I would bother tbh.

Mental ****e altogether.....who thinks up this stuff SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

This world is goin pure mad , yet again with the taking of something very simple and confusing it to the point of bleedin obscurity....seriously governments get ur heads out of your arse and get ur acts together ....Grrrrr.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I'm 27 and getting into
    Biking so as far as I can see I can get a permit A licence as normal with ibt then once I pass I can drive an unrestricted bike straight away?

That right or am I picking it up wrong ?

Yep, you can get direct access after 6 months as according to the RSA you are more responsible on an R1 1000cc rocket than someone who's been riding bikes for 2 years, they must first take a test or training module for some reason.

Hmmmm just applied for my test,
    might have to wait to next year now and get an unrestricted licence.

CptMackey wrote: »
    I'm 27 and getting into
    Biking so as far as I can see I can get a permit A licence as normal with ibt then once I pass I can drive an unrestricted bike straight away?

That right or am I picking it up wrong ?

Yes but you'd want to get your ass in gear as you have less than 6 months before the new rules come into force. And the RSA don't conduct many bike tests over winter so I can only imagine the rush before the 19th January.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Mental ****e altogether.....who thinks up this stuff SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!

Gay Byrne??:eek::rolleyes::D

Whah happens if your over 24?

You can apply directly for the A test, pass and you have an unrestricted licence. That is of course if you pass after the 19th. If you pass before the 19th your full licence will still have a 2 year restriction but it will be increased from 25kw to 35kw. Don't ask me how they think this is a good idea.
    I don't understand. So if your over 24, there is no more restriction on power. You can hop on a 1000c full power bike? I'm pretty sure I was no more or less crazy at 24 then at 23.

Pretty much yes :eek:, However I can't see insurance companies playing ball with this system. A 24yo with no experience riding a GS?? Good luck!

paddy147 wrote: »
    Gay Byrne??:eek::rolleyes::D

You'd think that but it's those EU assh*les! They want a standard system throughout the EU .

How would these new rules affaect anyone who got their full A-Licence this year,and has to ride a restricted bike for the next 2 years?

Does that mean that they can go for a full power/unrestricted blade or R1 from 2013 with these new rules??

Or do they still have to do 2 years on a restricted bike??

urbanledge wrote: »
    Hmmmm just applied for my test,
    might have to wait to next year now and get an unrestricted licence.

Up to yourself but don't forget that the test is going to be overhauled .i.e More manoeuvres, longer test, examiners on bikes. Personally if I were you I'd ring them and asked to be put on the cancelation list and get the test asap. It will be a nightmare come Sep/Oct when the RSA are finishing tests for the winter.

How would these new rules affaect anyone who got their full A-Licence this year,and has to ride a restricted bike for the next 2 years?

Does that mean that they can go for a full power/unrestricted blade or R1 from 2013 with these new rules??

Or do they still have to do 2 years on a restricted bike??

Anyone who passed pre Jan 2013 will have a restricted licence, the only positive is their power to weight ratio will be increased from 25kw to 35kw. That is all I'm afraid. Yet if you pass an "A" test after the 19th you have an unrestricted licence!:confused: But you have to be 24 or over. If you pass next year and you're only 18-23 then you'll be issued an A2 licence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Reading that document makes my eyeballs hurt, and trying to understand it makes my brain ache. Maybe its just because I'm hungover...

Anyone wants to give a simple summary of what's new and good or bad? I'll make it a sticky

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Anyone who passed pre Jan 2013 will have a restricted licence, the only positive is their power to weight ratio will be increased from 25kw to 35kw. That is all I'm afraid. Yet if you pass an "A" test after the 19th you have an unrestricted licence!:confused: But you have to be 24 or over. If you pass next year and you're only 18-23 then you'll be issued an A2 licence.

So how is giving/handing over a full/unrestricted licence to a 24 year old making it safer?????:confused:

I really would like to sit down with the RSA and ask them what fools they employ or use to come up with these rules???

Or who the RSA are listening to on this matter...someone over in Brussels maybe??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭gipi

The 24 yr old who wants the immediate A licence (with no restriction) must do a new IBT module (module 5 ), whether they've done IBT in the past or not.

gipi wrote: »
    The 24 yr old who wants the immediate A licence (with no restriction) must do a new IBT module (module 5 ), whether they've done IBT in the past or not.

It keeps getting better!

So is it just a money making excercize then?

So is it just a money making excercize then?

Not really, I think it's a sly way for the EU to cut down on deaths by making it harder for people to get thier licence in the first place. Could you imagine being 18 and trying to get your licence next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Faith+1 wrote: »
    You can apply directly for the A test, pass and you have an unrestricted licence. That is of course if you pass after the 19th. If you pass before the 19th your full licence will still have a 2 year restriction but it will be increased from 25kw to 35kw. Don't ask me how they think this is a good idea.

Pretty much yes :eek:, However I can't see insurance companies playing ball with this system. A 24yo with no experience riding a GS?? Good luck!

:confused:

Cheers. This is mental.

Thank god for the 80s and 90s where when you just got a few lessons,then went to sit the car or bike test an got your full licence and that was it,none of this rubbish.

Yeh I can't really make head nor tails of it,

Been sitting here trying to figure it out but near as I can tell it gives unexperienced riders access to full on sportsbikes, while at the same time turns off younger riders from getting a bike by lengthening out the process by having them do a theory test, wait 6 months, IBT, then full test. Wait 2 years then get another learner permit (presumably they'd have to put an L bib back on and get off the M50, wait another 6 months, then pass a test.

Why does an A2 have to get another permit and take another test after 2 years +6 months riding + wait on the LP? Seems completely unnecessary.

Thank christ I'll be 24 with a LP, feel somewhat sorry for other lads that recently got a learner permit though.

• Advertisement

Can you imagine the police trying to enforce this when us bikers cant get are heads around it.....lmao

Advertisement