Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Regulations January 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Can someone advise me here?

I have no bike licence so i'm starting from scratch. I'm over 24 (30+).

Do I (a) Hold off until January and start getting my licence then so come June/July I will be able to get a full licence and an unrestricted bike.

or (b) get a learner licence now and it'll take 2 years before I can get an unrestricted bike.

What's my best option?

I've a full car & truck licence and have a dirt bike i've never insured as it's not used on the road.
    Hey...get your l.p. now(restricted)..that gets the clock ticking on the 6 months..then exchange the l.p. for an unrestricted l.p. after Jan 19 ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Hey...get your l.p. now(restricted)..that gets the clock ticking on the 6 months..then exchange the l.p. for an unrestricted l.p. after Jan 19 ..

Hey im in a similar situation to drunkmonkey above. So if you go with what you said in the above quote, if i were to get my LP now, in 3 months time i could exchange it for a new LP subject to the new laws in January, and potentially buy a more powerful bike with no restrictions? (ive never heard of switching licences, how would you even do that?). Further more id be able to do my full test around April (approx 6 months) and get a category A licence?

Sorry ive read through this thread a few times but it hasnt sunk in to me yet. I dont see the point in going through the motions now if im going to be restricted until nearly 2015 when i could wait a few months and actually get a bike i want thats unrestricted, if thats the way it would pan out. (Ideally id love to start soon :))

Also is the LP test the same as the provisional licence for a car? I dread having to do it again after so long. Thanks guys and sorry if im repeating the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm just back from my theory test now, 40/40:)
    going to apply for the permit on Monday- do you know if I need an eyesight report with this, even though I have a full B license ?Thanks

Hey Cojomo what book did you look at for your theory test i've mine in a week, wouldn't mind a 40/40 result? Any tips more than welcome;)

I was in the motor tax office today and they insisted that I have to do the eye sight test as it's for a new license, they would not let me use the one I had for my full car and truck. Got a full eye check out today, cost €25, i've better than 100% vision:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Hey Cojomo what book did you look at for your theory test i've mine in a week, wouldn't mind a 40/40 result? Any tips more than welcome;)

I was in the motor tax office today and they insisted that I have to do the eye sight test as it's for a new license, they would not let me use the one I had for my full car and truck. Got a full eye check out today, cost €25, i've better than 100% vision:)

Probably because it's a different category of licence i would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Anyone know if these new N plate restrictions for cars is going to affect bikers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Robbknoll wrote: »

Hey im in a similar situation to drunkmonkey above. So if you go with what you said in the above quote, if i were to get my LP now, in 3 months time i could exchange it for a new LP subject to the new laws in January, and potentially buy a more powerful bike with no restrictions? (ive never heard of switching licences, how would you even do that?). Further more id be able to do my full test around April (approx 6 months) and get a category A licence?

Sorry ive read through this thread a few times but it hasnt sunk in to me yet. I dont see the point in going through the motions now if im going to be restricted until nearly 2015 when i could wait a few months and actually get a bike i want thats unrestricted, if thats the way it would pan out. (Ideally id love to start soon :))
    If you do your ibt now (modules 1,2,3 & 4) you will have to do module 5 when you exchange your permit to ride a full power bike. if you wait and do ibt after Jan 19th you will do modules 1,3 & 5.

Hey ..you should have gone to specsavers, only a 10er! I hold a full B license, was issued about 10 years ago and I didn't need an eye sight report.

Don't bother spending cash on the rules of the road book and cd, if you have an android phone, download 'Irish Driving Theory Test' ..change category to Motorcycles and just keep taking the practice test over and over in your free time, they are all the official questions, can't go wrong, and it's free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

On the current eye test form you have to mark the category of licence it is for. Not sure if this was always the case but if it was and your original form was marked B category only, then you must get a new eye test report for a motorcycle as it states "my opinion as to the applicant's eyesight is that the applicant is fit to drive vehicles of the categories indicated from any date up to to 4 calendar months from todays date".

chasm wrote: »
    On the current eye test form you have to mark the category of licence it is for. Not sure if this was always the case but if it was and your original form was marked B category only, then you must get a new eye test report for a motorcycle as it states "my opinion as to the applicant's eyesight is that the applicant is fit to drive vehicles of the categories indicated from any date up to to 4 calendar months from todays date".

it must depend on who is processing your application- I didn't need it..

What kind of License are you getting, I just called Liberty to get an insurance quote and was asked what kind of license I have, I said provisional A1, he seemed to think I hadn't, so when I hand in my theroy test and eye sight report what kind of Licence am I getting, a provisional A1 or provisional A?:confused:

• Advertisement

if you have an android phone, download 'Irish Driving Theory Test'

i've a friggin iphone 5 at the moment, it's pretty useless, it doesn't have that app:mad: Don't even get me started on the maps.

What kind of License are you getting, I just called Liberty to get an insurance quote and was asked what kind of license I have, I said provisional A1, he seemed to think I hadn't, so when I hand in my theroy test and eye sight report what kind of Licence am I getting, a provisional A1 or provisional A?:confused:

Provisional A I think- that's what I'm expecting anyway-should have it in the post today or tomorrow.

Provisional A I think- that's what I'm expecting anyway-should have it in the post today or tomorrow.

And you in the same boat, first license?

And you in the same boat, first license?

pretty much- had a prov. bike license for 3 years about 10 yrs ago, so doesn't count for anything now. Have a B license tho.

pretty much- had a prov. bike license for 3 years about 10 yrs ago, so doesn't count for anything now. Have a B license tho.

Ohh I flipped out in the tax office yesterday, I had the provisional A but when I converted my full license to a full with a truck they took off the bike and I was meant to get a separate provisional for that. Kicking myself for not sorting it out at the time:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

From reading the FAQ on the RSA site....

it appears that if i change my permit after jan the 19th then do module 5 i can do an unrestricted test and get an unrestricted licence?
    (b) You can apply for the post-19
    th
    January 2013 Category A learner permit which allows you
    to ride a motorcycle of unrestricted power output. You can then take your driving test by
    presenting to the test in the representative vehicle which is a minimum of 595cm
    and an
    engine power of at least 40kW. If you pass the driving test, you will be issued with a
    Category A certificate of competency which you can exchange for a Category A full licence
    in your local Motor Taxation Office, and which is unrestricted.

I'm sure im reading this wrong

From reading the FAQ on the RSA site....

it appears that if i change my permit after jan the 19th then do module 5 i can do an unrestricted test and get an unrestricted licence?

I'm sure im reading this wrong

you are reading it correctly:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Seems not even the RSA can tell me if doing the IBT now is a waste of time and money...
    :confused:

MrScootch wrote: »
    Seems not even the RSA can tell me if doing the IBT now is a waste of time and money...
    :confused:

Do you not have to do the IBT regardless? You still need to complete 3 modules before getting on the road, that's the way I read it. The only exception is if you had a learner permit before dec 2010.

It didn't say anywhere it was changing..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

You still need to do it, but from what's been said, if you do IBT now you have to do modules 1,2,3,4 & 5, but if you do it after Jan you only need to do 1,3 & 5. So if you do it now you'd effectively have to repeat everything you've already done, just on a bigger bike and end up paying way more.

MrScootch wrote: »
    You still need to do it, but from what's been said, if you do IBT now you have to do modules 1,2,3,4 & 5, but if you do it after Jan you only need to do 1,3 & 5. So if you do it now you'd effectively have to repeat everything you've already done, just on a bigger bike and end up paying way more.

Module 5 can't be done until after Jan 19..a current l.p would not allow it anyway as its restricted.

You can do module 1-4 now, but if you want to do your test fir a full unrestricted A , you will need to do module 5 after 19 Jan..module 5 is a repeat of module 2 and 4 on a bigger bike.

If you do it the above way you will be paying double the fees..if you have not yet done the IBT and want a full unrestricted license then it's best to hold off until after Jan 19 and just do modules 1 , 3 and 5. Thats assuming you will be 24 or over on Jan 19

Cojomo I passed the theroy yesterday all thanks to the app, I then applied for the A permit.
    Is my best course of action now to do nothing, just wait until the 19th then convert my restricted a permit to an unrestricted A permit and then start the IBT training on an unrestricted 40kw + bike?

Cojomo I passed the theroy yesterday all thanks to the app, I then applied for the A permit.
    Is my best course of action now to do nothing, just wait until the 19th then convert my restricted a permit to an unrestricted A permit and then start the IBT training on an unrestricted 40kw + bike?

Well done on the theory..yep it's a dead handy app..did you get it on the iPhone after all?
    Yep..exchange your l.p. for an unrestricted one in Jan ..the do IBT 1, 3and 5...I'm not sure what the minimum power of the bike has to be for the test..I think it's a min of 600cc and 50kw with minimum weight of 80kg..pain in the hole.

Are you in Dublin? I'll be looking for a partner to do the IBT with in Jan..makes it a lot cheaper...what bike are you thinking of getting ?

Won't be doing it in Dub sorry, had intended to buy my mates 97 CBR 600 but going by what you said there it won't be Heavy enough. Hoping the IBT instructor will have a suitable bike, I can't legally ride a bike without the IBT so probably best do all the IBT then start looking, I really want the 600 though as I know the bike for the last 10 years and know its been well minded.

Won't be doing it in Dub sorry, had intended to buy my mates 97 CBR 600 but going by what you said there it won't be Heavy enough. Hoping the IBT instructor will have a suitable bike, I can't legally ride a bike without the IBT so probably best do all the IBT then start looking, I really want the 600 though as I know the bike for the last 10 years and know its been well minded.

Will you be able to get insured on it? I really really want a Yamaha r6..love them but looking like I will have to go with a hornet 600..or maybe a Kawasaki z750. .as doesn't look like I'll get insured on a super sports bike until I pass the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

[Quote=cojomo2;81559225

Are you in Dublin? I'll be looking for a partner to do the IBT with in Jan..makes it a lot cheaper...what bike are you thinking of getting ?[/Quote]

cojomo2, I'm not sure if I'm allowed say the name of the place or not but, there's a place that has a great deal on for the IBT right now, its outside Dublin but if two people do it then it's nearly half price of most Dublin places!! And provides Insurance asseent too included in the deal, it would end up prob the same price to go there now, be able to ride a bike sooner, and then do module 5 later. Than to do just 1,3 and 5 with the Dublin prices.

I'm sure other guys on here will know the place I'm on about (it's a boards member too I think)

I plan to go there myself (if I pass this theory test on Tuesday)

PM me if you want more info on it.

(sorry for not just linking it here but I'm not sure on if you're allowed or not)

Stupid iPhone couldn't get the quote to work right ......

cojomo2, I'm not sure if I'm allowed say the name of the place or not but, there's a place that has a great deal on for the IBT right now, its outside Dublin but if two people do it then it's nearly half price of most Dublin places!! And provides Insurance asseent too included in the deal, it would end up prob the same price to go there now, be able to ride a bike sooner, and then do module 5 later. Than to do just 1,3 and 5 with the Dublin prices.

I'm sure other guys on here will know the place I'm on about (it's a boards member too I think)

I plan to go there myself (if I pass this theory test on Tuesday)

PM me if you want more info on it.

(sorry for not just linking it here but I'm not sure on if you're allowed or not)

Stupid iPhone couldn't get the quote to work right ......
    Hey, thanks for the info- yeah I know who you are talking about, sent them a PM there to get some more info..good luck with the theory test on Tuesday, you should have no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭boxty

Hi, I did theory test last week and am expecting my learner permit next week. As I'm over 24 I will be taking your advice and swapping it for a new unrestricted learner permit in January and will be looking to do modules 1, 3 and 5 in the new year. I'd appreciate if you shared details of the place offering a good deal and would be willing to pair up with you.
    How far from Dublin is it?
    Does the offer apply to week days only or does it include weekends?

What kind of money are the three modules and how quickly can they be taken?

What type of insurance assessmnet is included i.e how much of discount does it equate to and which company is it for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

I have been informed today that it will be possible to become unrestricted if over 24 by the following process.

If you hold a full A licence now that is restricted to 25 kw then you will be able to apply for a learners permit in category A unrestricted after January 19th.
    You will need to complete ibt modules 1,3 & 5 on a full power bike if you never did it before as it will be classed as a new licence in a different category
    If you did ibt previously then you will only need ibt module 5 on the full power machine.
    You then can ride a full power bike on the new learner permit and will have to be tested again.
    I know people will say that's not fair but you can't please everyone. If you don't want to do that stick with what you have but at least you now have the option.

I will post more as I find out.

Advertisement