Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Regulations January 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Can you imagine the police trying to enforce this when us bikers cant get are heads around it.....lmao

Alot of gurads still don't know what driver CPC is and that was implemented over 3 years ago! Not to mention their lax attitude to people driving on a LP (Cage), this will be a right barrel of laughs. Ah sure it'll be grand! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

so correct me if i'm reading this wrong, i'm 41 at the minute and have just passed my thery test (last tues) i'll have my learner permit next week along with my IBT, i cant take my test till feburary at the earliest (6mth wait) but when i do because of my age i can ride/get a full power?:confused:

serious3 wrote: »
    so correct me if i'm reading this wrong, i'm 41 at the minute and have just passed my thery test (last tues) i'll have my learner permit next week along with my IBT, i cant take my test till feburary at the earliest (6mth wait) but when i do because of my age i can ride/get a full power?:confused:

Correct, however if you're applying for direct access (over 24) you'll have to complete module 5, this is a new one being intorduced by the RSA for direct access in "A" category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

lovely job! module 5 here we come!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

This is crazy tbh.
    I got my full licence about a month ago. So my restriction is still going to have to run its 2 year course but the power restriction is increased from 25kw to 35kw. But yet someone who passes after this stuff comes in can just hop on a bike a full power! Why the hell not just remove the restriction entirely for people like me instead of just giving us the option to whip out restrictors and put a different restrictor in...

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »
    This is crazy tbh.
    I got my full licence about a month ago. So my restriction is still going to have to run its 2 year course but the power restriction is increased from 25kw to 35kw. But yet someone who passes after this stuff comes in can just hop on a bike a full power! Why the hell not just remove the restriction entirely for people like me instead of just giving us the option to whip out restrictors out and out a different restrictor in...

Because that would make too much bloody sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Because that would make too much bloody sense!

With all honesty nothing the RSA the government the country does regarding anything anymore makes much sense ive said this before and ill repeat it , we have a tendencie in this country to take things that are very simple and make them stupidly ridiculous ....were will it all end coz i dont think my brain can takemuch more of the stupidity ...i need a bloody lie down :mad:

As far as im aware the only restriction kit for my sv1000 is the current one thats in it. I dont think there is one available that allows a bit more power.

So i will just stick to the one thats in it for the 2 years i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

I know this is off topic so my apologies for it in advance , wanted to ask has anyone ever used Paul Decourcey in Waterford for training ? If anyone has used him in the past can ya let me know just private msg me.

Cheers lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Am I not right in saying that with these now laws when they come into force that if you have your full licence but still have to 2 yrs to run you can just do these new MODULE 5 and the restriction is lifted....if not it really incredible ****in stupid!

TBH, I am not in a hurry to get a bigger more powerful bike. However I would like it to be MY CHOICE not some suit in Dail Eireann making all this sh1t up over a prawn salad at lunchtime!

I am on bikes exactly 12mths this month not long granted, but to prove I am not a boy racer type I have my IBT done(obviously) also passed my driving test after waiting the mandatory 6 mths(clean no marks) the Garda Bikesafe course (38/40 points) and completed and passed a grade 2 advanced rider assesment course.

WTF do I actually have to do to show I am a competent, serious rider to the powers to be???? :confused: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

SO what is this IBT Module 5 going to include does anyone know???
    I have my IBT starting tomorrow. Suppose there's no chance I can get the 5th module done until next year?

I was with an IBT instructor at the races yesterday.....they have not even been informed of any of this yet, has no clue of any module 5 etc etc.

They are in the dark just as much as the rest of us m8 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

goodlad wrote: »
    This is crazy tbh.
    I got my full licence about a month ago. So my restriction is still going to have to run its 2 year course but the power restriction is increased from 25kw to 35kw. But yet someone who passes after this stuff comes in can just hop on a bike a full power! Why the hell not just remove the restriction entirely for people like me instead of just giving us the option to whip out restrictors and put a different restrictor in...

Because the new regs state that the person doing the full A test from 19th January will have done the training and test on a full power bike. They can't just remove your restriction when your test was conducted in the old rules. The EU stated that all EU countries must implement this new law to put us all on the same level so it's not Ireland dictating this. There will always be someone who is not happy but direct access has been screamed for for years by bikers in Ireland and now it's happening people are whinging.

war_child wrote: »
    With all honesty nothing the RSA the government the country does regarding anything anymore makes much sense ive said this before and ill repeat it , we have a tendencie in this country to take things that are very simple and make them stupidly ridiculous ....were will it all end coz i dont think my brain can takemuch more of the stupidity ...i need a bloody lie down :mad:

War_child
    This time it's not Ireland doing this it's the EU. The UK will be changing their system from the same date. Their current direct access scheme is from 21 years old and that has to be increased to 24 the same as here. I am sure there will be some disgruntled riders over there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I think allowing a noob drive an unrestricted bike is a step backwards...but also unfair to those who have just done their test (like me).

There should be some avenue for us to remove the two year restriction, maybe by completing module 5 and having the IBT instructor give the seal of approval or something.

Personally, I'm thinking of upgrading my bike to whatever power I want, unrestricted...I'm sick of this nonsense.

I was with an IBT instructor at the races yesterday.....they have not even been informed of any of this yet, has no clue of any module 5 etc etc.

They are in the dark just as much as the rest of us m8 :rolleyes:

As far as I am aware the module 5 will be 11 hours of training like the 2 conversion ibt modules at the moment. I can't be sure until we have all had our conference with the RSA to tell us. supposedly in October.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

All I can say is thank f@@k I got my full licence way back in 1978 ;) .

The new regs appear to have been dreamed up by the usual pen pushers with no experience on how bike riding (or car driving for that matter) actually works in real life. Seems to me that the fine folk who work at places like RSA et al, are the same world wide.....highly opinionated but ultimately useless and clueless. "Hey Bob..that looks great (on paper)...lets implement it..." :rolleyes:
    Giving a noob full unrestricted access to a big bike just because he is 24 make very little sense at all.

rat_race wrote: »
    I think allowing a noob drive an unrestricted bike is a step backwards...but also unfair to those who have just done their test (like me).

There should be some avenue for us to remove the two year restriction, maybe by completing module 5 and having the IBT instructor give the seal of approval or something.

Personally, I'm thinking of upgrading my bike to whatever power I want, unrestricted...I'm sick of this nonsense.

Rat_race

I think but can't be 100% yet that this is going to be introduced but as the new A category for direct access will be for over 24's then anyone on a full restricted A at the moment will under that age will be equivalent to an full A2 licence 35kw. After the 2 year restriction at this power you will have the full A.
    Example
    You pass you full A test now at age 18 you are restricted to 25kw for 2 years.
    After Jan 19th 2013 restriction increased to 35kw for remainder of 2 years. Minimum age for full A after Jan 19th is 20
    Minimum age for Cat A2 after Jan 19th is 18
    If you pass test at 18 in cat A2 then after 2 years of a full A2 you can either take training course and go straight to full A or opt to take another test for the full A

Confusing I know but a bit of homework and analyzing the documents will help most to understand it.

Having said that I have seen alot of "OLDER" men way above the age of 24 act like a total dangerous gob****e on a bike.....at the end of the day "IF" it makes people safer on bike and a better rider it can only be a good thing but is that the goal of the scheme? How much will 11 hours of module 5 cost?

I think the powers to be are really trying to kill off bikers with trickery, And totally put off new bikers from starting out....With all this new "MUMBO JUMBO" and the possibility of NCT for bikes.......SWEETBABYJESUSANDTHEORPHANS!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Not all older guys are dorks when riding a bike, but I take your point.
    IMHO its all about attitude. You can be 18 and have your head screwed on right or 60 and still be a [EMAIL="tw@t"]tw@t[/EMAIL].
    Having learned to ride bikes the hard way, I really think it has to be progressive. Learn small and as your ability and skill increase, so you climb to bigger bikes. The basic concept of the new regs seems to point in that direction, but all the extra gunf they added in makes them, IMHO, really dumb.
    Having said that I have seen alot of "OLDER" men way above the age of 24 act like a total dangerous gob****e on a bike.....at the end of the day "IF" it makes people safer on bike and a better rider it can only be a good thing but is that the goal of the scheme? How much will 11 hours of module 5 cost?

I think the powers to be are really trying to kill off bikers with trickery, And totally put off new bikers from starting out....With all this new "MUMBO JUMBO" and the possibility of NCT for bikes.......SWEETBABYJESUSANDTHEORPHANS!!!!!

• Advertisement

Roadskill wrote: »
    Rat_race

I think but can't be 100% yet that this is going to be introduced but as the new A category for direct access will be for over 24's then anyone on a full restricted A at the moment will under that age will be equivalent to an full A2 licence 35kw. After the 2 year restriction at this power you will have the full A.
    Example
    You pass you full A test now at age 18 you are restricted to 25kw for 2 years.
    After Jan 19th 2013 restriction increased to 35kw for remainder of 2 years. Minimum age for full A after Jan 19th is 20
    Minimum age for Cat A2 after Jan 19th is 18
    If you pass test at 18 in cat A2 then after 2 years of a full A2 you can either take training course and go straight to full A or opt to take another test for the full A

Confusing I know but a bit of homework and analyzing the documents will help most to understand it.

Yup. I've analysed the documents already...I'm 27, full A, need to wait two years. If I had waited until Jan, I'd pass my test and not have to wait two years (dangerously). Just seems unfair though as I am now totally comfortable on bikes, have ridden loads of miles and loads of bikes, yet still have to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

rat_race wrote: »
    Yup. I've analysed the documents already...I'm 27, full A, need to wait two years. If I had waited until Jan, I'd pass my test and not have to wait two years (dangerously). Just seems unfair though as I am now totally comfortable on bikes, have ridden loads of miles and loads of bikes, yet still have to wait.

Haven't read the full thread but this may be of use to you, apologies if mentioned already.
    Q13 I am 24 or over and currently hold a learner permit in Category A. I’m not planning to sit my practical driving test until after the 19th January 2013. What do the changes mean for me?

A13 If you pass your test and get a full Category A licence after the 19th January 2013 and you are aged 24 or over, you will be issued with a full licence in Category A with no restriction attached to the licence. If your first learner permit was issued on or after the 6th December 2010, you are required to complete Initial Basic Training, before you sit your driving test.
    Source: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%20B%20FAQ%27s%20Bikes.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Since when do we do things fairly in Ireland??

Will the RSA instructors/testers also have to be brought up to speed on anything new aswell??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Roadskill wrote: »
    As far as I am aware the module 5 will be 11 hours of training like the 2 conversion ibt modules at the moment. I can't be sure until we have all had our conference with the RSA to tell us. supposedly in October.:rolleyes:

So at say 60 euro an hour for lessons,then thats 660 euro,even before you sit or pay for a test.

Yikes.:eek:

Italia wrote: »
    Not all older guys are dorks when riding a bike, but I take your point.
    IMHO its all about attitude. You can be 18 and have your head screwed on right or 60 and still be a [EMAIL="tw@t"]tw@t[/EMAIL].
    Having learned to ride bikes the hard way, I really think it has to be progressive. Learn small and as your ability and skill increase, so you climb to bigger bikes. The basic concept of the new regs seems to point in that direction, but all the extra gunf they added in makes them, IMHO, really dumb.

Well of course not all over the 24's are dodgy, just like not all under 24's are either.....I would love to know where that got the age of 24 to set as a milestone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

From the MAG Ireland website:

3DLD-Bike-Chart.jpg

Full post here: http://www.magireland.org/2012/campaigns/training/rsa-announcement-on-direct-access/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

I think that if you already hold your full licence but are still within the 2 year restriction period that you can complete the IBT Module to obtain your full unrestricted licence through direct access once you're over 24. That would make sense anyway. Maybe not though.

I think it's about time direct access was brought in here and I would imagine the age was set in line with other countries where direct access is available.

I might be blind but i cant find any info on the specific module of IBT i could do next year to unrestrict my licence.
    Anyone have a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I thought I understood it until I seen that diagram from MAG. Anyone care to enlighten me how ill be fixed with the new rules. Im over 24 & have my lerner permit about 7 weeks now:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Even though this is an EU thing is it up to each member state to decide on age for certain categories? The Uk has their age restrictions a year older on the A1 and A2 and the staged access of the A.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DG_201188

Also as a matter of interest, i know it's been the done thing for god knows how many years but why is a moped entitlement given automatically when a person passes a car test? I know it's "only" twist and go but there is more to riding a bike/scooter of any kind than just that, and as we are all aware it is a different category!

• Advertisement

I think that if you already hold your full licence but are still within the 2 year restriction period that you can complete the IBT Module to obtain your full unrestricted licence through direct access once you're over 24. That would make sense anyway. Maybe not though.

There's no mention of that in any of the docs. I highly doubt it will be possible. Plus, there is a question and answer regarding whether you do your test before the 19th, or after...it says one means two years, the other doesn't. There is no mention of "if you sit before the 19th, you can complete module 5 to remove restriction".

I'd love to be proved wrong though!

Advertisement