Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Regulations January 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

rat_race wrote: »
    There's no mention of that in any of the docs. I highly doubt it will be possible. Plus, there is a question and answer regarding whether you do your test before the 19th, or after...it says one means two years, the other doesn't. There is no mention of "if you sit before the 19th, you can complete module 5 to remove restriction".

I'd love to be proved wrong though!

I didn't mean sitting your test before the 19th January 2013. I mean it would make sense that riders who currently hold their licence and are within the 2 year restriction period could sit the IBT module after 19th January 2013 and obtain a full unrestricted licence.

My situation is that I am 25, have my learner permit and had intended to sit my test this Summer but was hit by a van so I'm now planning to wait until after 19th January 2013 to do the IBT Module and then do my test through the direct access route. The only thing I'm concerned about on that table is where it says "after 6 months" under Category A, does that mean I'll have to wait 6 months after the IBT Module to do my test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

rat_race wrote: »
    There's no mention of that in any of the docs. I highly doubt it will be possible. Plus, there is a question and answer regarding whether you do your test before the 19th, or after...it says one means two years, the other doesn't. There is no mention of "if you sit before the 19th, you can complete module 5 to remove restriction".

I'd love to be proved wrong though!
    This is all i could find:
    Q 2 I have a full Category A driving licence. How will this be affected by the new licensing rules coming into being on 19 January 2013?
    A If you hold the highest class of full motorcycle driving licence (category A) then you are not affected in any way, the only change to current full category A licence holders is that if a restriction applies to your licence, that the restriction which applies for 2 years upon holding the full licence changes from 25kW to 35kW. Once you have held your full category A driving licence for two years, the restriction is lifted from your full licence automatically. When you renew your licence you will be given a category A motorcycle licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I didn't mean sitting your test before the 19th January 2013. I mean it would make sense that riders who currently hold their licence and are within the 2 year restriction period could sit the IBT module after 19th January 2013 and obtain a full unrestricted licence.

My situation is that I am 24, have my learner permit and had intended to sit my test this Summer but was hit by a van so I'm now planning to wait until after 19th January 2013 to do the IBT Module and then do my test. The only thing I'm concerned about on that table is where it says "after 6 months" under Category A, does that mean I'll have to wait 6 months after the IBT Module to do my test?

Yeah, this is what I assumed you meant.

"riders who currently hold their licence and are within the 2 year restriction period" -- yes, so they have already sat their test (or will have before the 19th, same thing). And my response was saying that there is zero indication that such riders will have any way to quash the two years. It would make sense if they could, of course...

And I don't know if you'll have to wait 6 months :( hope not, but who knows...

Yeah I've just fired off an e-mail to licensingqueries@rsa.ie about my own situation and hopefully I'll get a coherent response. If I get a response at all I'll probably have to wait a while, they're probably going to be inundated with queries about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Yeah I've just fired off an e-mail to licensingqueries@rsa.ie about my own situation and hopefully I'll get a coherent response. If I get a response at all I'll probably have to wait a while, they're probably going to be inundated with queries about this.

It's 6 months from the date of issue on your licence! So if you got a LP today 30/07/12 you can take your test on 30/01/12. You do your IBT/Lessons between those 6 months.

• Advertisement

I know you have to wait six months from the issue of your learner permit but that table reads like you might have to wait six months from doing the IBT Module, if you are someone who already holds their learner permit and are over the age of 24.

I have just received a reply to my e-mail to the RSA.

"Thanks for your query. If you sit your test after the 19th January 2013 you will have to sit module 5 of the IBT prior to sitting the driving test. As you hold your learners permit for more than 6 months there will be no waiting period before you sit your test."

YAY :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 V!PER

I have to do my IBT in the next few weeks also....having 2nd taughts about even getting on the bike now after getting it (bought it for the right price CB500) its all about money money money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

V!PER wrote: »
    I have to do my IBT in the next few weeks also....having 2nd taughts about even getting on the bike now after getting it (bought it for the right price CB500) its all about money money money.

I can agree with ya there Viper , its quite expensive to get on the road here if you factor in your LP, Training , test ..bike, clothes , helmet gloves boots cover Insurance ....even if ya get a reasonable priced Bike your stilllookin at forkin out well over a grand for all the extras that go with it .....

It has gotten very expensive but like anything else, if you want it that much, you'll find the money somehow.

• Advertisement

It has gotten very expensive but like anything else, if you want it that much, you'll find the money somehow.

+1 The initial outlay is always the worst but it only gets easier from there. You'd be surprised how quick your gear builds up over time! Don't be put off V!per, it's worth it in the end!

ye viper its so very worth it in the end and sure you can always sell a kidney online you have a spare :D But seriously as stated above once the initial outlay is out of the way its plain sailin (ridin) and you get that warm fluffy feeling everytime ya jump on the bike , dont give up eternal happiness is only a bank robbery away ha ha ha

war_child wrote: »
    ye viper its so very worth it in the end and sure you can always sell a kidney online you have a spare :D But seriously as stated above once the initial outlay is out of the way its plain sailin (ridin) and you get that warm fluffy feeling everytime ya jump on the bike , dont give up eternal happiness is only a bank robbery away ha ha ha

Lol!

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%201%20(New).pdf

I'm surprised to see that TriCycle falls under the A category?? I always thought that a cage licence covered them?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Absolutely gutted. Going to Canada in November, said I'd get the test passed this summer so I'd get the timer started on my restriction. Completely understandable. passed on the 13th of July. Hardly 2 weeks ago, and then these new regulations show up! :mad:

I've also been trying to get one of the lads into bikes. Recently passed his IBT. We're both 24 before the new regulations come in. But whereas I have 8 months more road experience, he does 11 hours of extra IBT and he can get whatever bike tickles his fancy (we're both into sports bikes). Not cool!! :mad:

[/rant]

Sorry, had to get that off my chest!

In a way I can understand it, kinda. But they really should let people currently operating under a restriction do the extra module to get their licence unrestricted. It makes no sense not to allow it.

I know we all pick up bad habits, but surely the extra time on the road should count for something. Upping the restriction for someone on a restricted licence, while someone new to bikes can hop onto a 1,000cc superbike seems like a bit of a slap to the face, but maybe my personal situation is influencing my feelings on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Kev.OC wrote: »
    In a way I can understand it, kinda. But they really should let people currently operating under a restriction do the extra module to get their licence unrestricted. It makes no sense not to allow it.

I know we all pick up bad habits, but surely the extra time on the road should count for something. Upping the restriction for someone on a restricted licence, while someone new to bikes can hop onto a 1,000cc superbike seems like a bit of a slap to the face, but maybe my personal situation is influencing my feelings on the subject.

I have a full A1, driving a 125cc for 12 years, I had hoped to move up to a slightly bigger bike but after looking at the requirements i don't think i will bother. I got my licence before the theory and the IBT came in to effect so to move up a category i am as well be a novice:mad:

What annoys me the most is, with all the other regulations the eu are planning on bringing in for (or is that against?) motorcyclists, under the supposed reasoning that we are vulnerable road users and we need more regulation, car drivers have a hell of a lot less regulation than us. On a B licence you can drive anything from Micra to a crewcab(under 3.5t i think?)-insurance costs permitting - yet we are a lot more restricted on the size/power of a motorcycle we are allowed drive.

But whereas I have 8 months more road experience, he does 11 hours of extra IBT and he can get whatever bike tickles his fancy (we're both into sports bikes). Not cool!!

I dont see it as a rant lad its a valid arguement , lot of the lads are feeling the same in regards to the new changes. It is completly unfair to those who have served their time in the trenches.

chasm wrote: »
    yet we are a lot more restricted on the size/power of a motorcycle we are allowed drive.

What makes me laugh about that is that most people aren't even aware that bikers are restricted in these ways, whish just perpetuates the myth that we all drive motogp powered bikes and wheelie our way in and out of town/work/college everyday.

I had a conversation on Friday night with the people I work with about these new regulations. I am the only one in the office that drives a bike. I was explaining about the direct access route and how it will affect me and they didn't know what I was talking about when I referred to your learner permit restricting you to bikes <25kw (under the current rules) or the two year restriction period after you obtain your full licence (under current rules). They didn't know the reason, they couldn't understand why but they all agreed that because "motorbikes are so dangerous" that it's probably a good thing. That's what we're all up against.

It's also interesting to note that the RSA specifically stated, when they produced the material in relation to changes to the licensing system, that car licence holders would not be affected. Great :rolleyes:

they all agreed that because "motorbikes are so dangerous" that it's probably a good thing. That's what we're all up against.

Mother of god if I hear someone else saying that! Motorcyclists have some of the best training on the road compared to cage drivers yet when one poor rider gets killed everyones giving out about dangerous they are!:mad:

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Mother of god if I hear someone else saying that! Motorcyclists have some of the best training on the road compared to cage drivers yet when one poor rider gets killed everyones giving out about dangerous they are!:mad:

2 of these people came to the scene of my accident after I was hit by a van and was lying on the road, you'd think they'd have more cop on.

• Advertisement

2 of these people came to the scene of my accident after I was hit by a van and was lying on the road, you'd think they'd have more cop on.

Jasus, how were you?

4 months later still out of work, still seeing the orthopaedic consultant and doing physio. Hoping to be back to work first week of September all going well. I'm very fortunate though that I work in a solicitor's office (so they're looking after my claim) and my boss has been very understanding. Still waiting to hear if your man that hit me is going to be prosecuted, pulled out of a side road looking in the other direction and hit me square on the left hand side, sent me and the bike flying up the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic - broke the main weight bearing bone in my left leg, nerve damage to my legs and the prick wrote off my bike. In this country he'll probably get away with it, I'm just a biker after all.

4 months later still out of work, still seeing the orthopaedic consultant and doing physio. Hoping to be back to work first week of September all going well. I'm very fortunate though that I work in a solicitor's office (so they're looking after my claim) and my boss has been very understanding. Still waiting to hear if your man that hit me is going to be prosecuted, pulled out of a side road looking in the other direction and hit me square on the left hand side, sent me and the bike flying up the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic - broke the main weight bearing bone in my left leg, nerve damage to my legs and the prick wrote off my bike. In this country he'll probably get away with it, I'm just a biker after all.

F*ck man.

F*ck woman.

FYP :p

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Hate to be the lad on his 3rd learner permit or w/e, years and years of riding, then decided to get his license recently and start his 2 year restriction

Faith your always gonna have this idea from people who have never been on a Bike , its always the Bikes that are dangerous and the riders are all wannabe foggys , knee down waap waap , i had it from my mother first , then my sister, then my missus, luckily my brother went to as they call it "THE DARK SIDE" first so i didnt get it as bad.

But motorcyclists are so much more aware on the roads simply because we have to be, just look at the sales rep in his flashy new beemer on his Iphone gettin a new deal oblivious to anyone else in his superior bubble, The day trip commuter mother who has so many kids in here minivan she should be wearing them as fuggin ear rings again oblivious to anything that doesnt have chocolate and juice stains runnin down their snotty faces.

Wenever i see anyone who fits this description wen im out i simply drop my speed move back to maximum safe distance and smile and laugh as they either crack their new alloys off the kerb or get their head pulled back by whiplash by one of the kids.......KARMA , AINT LIFE GRAND :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Speakin of wreckin alloys, was doin my usual route last weekend through enniskerry town and ended up behind this horsebox on a very sharp bendy road.

Guy knocked the rear wheel of the horsebox off the curb and it went up on it's left wheel for a second and came back down with a nasty thud.

Pretty funny to watch the driver freak for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

I think this is brilliant, im >24 and have a provisional for 6 months now, cant wait to get my liscence after christmas and get unrestricted !! sucks being anyone like my mate for example who only passed his test a couple of months ago.........althought a bump from 25-35kw would be ok too

Notch000 wrote: »
    I think this is brilliant, im >24 and have a provisional for 6 months now, cant wait to get my liscence after christmas and get unrestricted !! sucks being anyone like my mate for example who only passed his test a couple of months ago.........althought a bump from 25-35kw would be ok too

Don't forget though that it will be a harder test, you have to do a module 5 and you'll need a more powerful bike test day! I passed only 4 months ago but I'm not bitter in any way about these new rules, I'm just glad I don't have to go throught all that sh*te again!:cool:

I feel sorry for new guys who want to get on the road but might be put off as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Don't forget though that it will be a harder test, you have to do a module 5 and you'll need a more powerful bike test day! I passed only 4 months ago but I'm not bitter in any way about these new rules, I'm just glad I don't have to go throught all that sh*te again!:cool:

I feel sorry for new guys who want to get on the road but might be put off as a result.

True, I have the bike already just need to take washers out, IBT ??? spent 600 already so more expensive again but plenty of time to save, A harder test is hardly a bad thing overall.

1 yr is plenty to be restricted, i ve done 5K already in last 6months. Nearly the same as another friend has done in the last 5 years.

I wonder how the insurancre companies will react to the increased power bikes V restricted ones............

Advertisement