Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Regulations January 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭prunudo

Roadskill wrote: »
    jvan wrote: »
    Will some bikes still not have to be restricted to comply with the new rules.
    Another 13hrs of ibt and a second test to get the full A plus pre-test lessons. It's not exactly gonna be cheap. It could cost €800-1000 to get an upgrade to your license. I didn't expect to be free but my intial thought is that 13hrs seems excessive.

Jvan
    It's all age related.
    The new A2 licence can be kept as long as you want. If the option for a bigger machine is required it can be done. At least there is the option. Also if the A2 full permit has been held for at least 2 years you can move up to the full A without taking another test by completing just module 5 on the A permit and the instructor can sign it off, you then exchange your module 5 cert for a full unrestricted A licence.
    Essentially the instructor has become the tester meaning no extra pre-test lessons or a second test.

Ah right, sorry didn't realise, I thought you had to do a test between each upgrade. It's all a bit confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Jvan
    It's all age related.
    The new A2 licence can be kept as long as you want. If the option for a bigger machine is required it can be done. At least there is the option. Also if the A2 full permit has been held for at least 2 years you can move up to the full A without taking another test by completing just module 5 on the A permit and the instructor can sign it off, you then exchange your module 5 cert for a full unrestricted A licence.
    Essentially the instructor has become the tester meaning no extra pre-test lessons or a second test.

That doesnt seem so bad:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Just to let you know that if a young lad passes his test at 16 on an A1 permit then after 2 years he could opt for the training module 5 instead of another test to move up to the A2 at 18. This option also does not require a 6 month wait on the new permit. You can also take this option from A2 to A at age 20. Note that the training upgrade can only be done once so for example. If you opt for training instead of test from A1 to A2 then a test must be done from A2 to A. If you take a test to move from A1 to A2 then the training option is still available to get the full unrestricted A from A2
    24 is the min age for riders who have not done a test in prior categories (hence the name direct access)
    So it is possible to get an unrestricted A at 20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

this makes my head hurt..

I'm on a restricted A learner permit now. So I'm 29.I exchange the permit in January for an unrestricted one. Do i need to do module 5 and sit an unrestricted test on an unrestricted bike? Now my shadow 750 isn't restricted. There for if i sit my test on it its ok?

If i dont exchange for a unrestricted permit. Sit my test i will get a restricted licence but can site module 5 and move up to an unrestricted without a test?

this makes my head hurt..

I'm on a restricted A learner permit now. So I'm 29.I exchange the permit in January for an unrestricted one. Do i need to do module 5 and sit an unrestricted test on an unrestricted bike? Now my shadow 750 isn't restricted. There for if i sit my test on it its ok?

If i dont exchange for a unrestricted permit. Sit my test i will get a restricted licence but can site module 5 and move up to an unrestricted without a test?

Did you do ibt? if Yes you can exchange the permit in January and do module 5 for an unrestricted A. The bike presented for the test must be over 595cc, over 50kw power and over 180 kg to comply.
    If you don't exchange it then you can't take a test on a unrestricted bike as your permit restriction won't allow it. No one at the time of typing this post can exchange a full restricted licence for an unrestricted by any means. That could change by next January.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the time Roadskill

Yes i have the IBT done.

Sorry about this. So i have to do module 5 then swap for an unrestricted A learner permit?

What happens if i dont do anything. Do the test with my current A permit. Do i get a restricted A licence and to move up i need to do module 5 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i'm still non the clearer.... my circumstances are i'm 42 and passed ibt in august on my restricted f650.. i cant apply for my test till feburary 2013 when i do i'll have to take the new restriction for 2 years as i'm unemployed and cant afford to, and my bike would not be over the weight or horsepower.... if my circumstances change then i can just do module 5 on a rented bike and upgrade to full unrestricted....

Thanks for the time Roadskill

Yes i have the IBT done.

Sorry about this. So i have to do module 5 then swap for an unrestricted A learner permit?

What happens if i dont do anything. Do the test with my current A permit. Do i get a restricted A licence and to move up i need to do module 5 ?

If you do nothing and take your test before january 19th with your current permit you will just get the present 2 year restriction. Take the test after then on your current permit you will receive a full A2 restricted to 35kw (up 10 kw) to get the full A after that module 5 and test will apply unless A2 is held for 2 years then module 5 only if you wish.

serious3 wrote: »
    i'm still non the clearer.... my circumstances are i'm 42 and passed ibt in august on my restricted f650.. i cant apply for my test till feburary 2013 when i do i'll have to take the new restriction for 2 years as i'm unemployed and cant afford to, and my bike would not be over the weight or horsepower.... if my circumstances change then i can just do module 5 on a rented bike and upgrade to full unrestricted....

Serious3
    See above post #219

Got it Roadskill...many thanks!!

I'm going to wait until January then take the test. The way i figure it is even if i was unrestricted i most likely would not change up for a while anyway. If i decide to least this way i have the option of doing module 5 and the test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Still confused...

I'm over 24, have done my theory, got my current A 33bhp learner permit and need to do IBT next.
    But am I better off waiting until after January to exchange my permit and do IBT as then I can do IBT on a bigger bike or something? I don't get the modules 1,3 & 5 thing, isn't 1 'Helmet Awareness' and 3 'Muppet Avoidance', why would you have to redo them?
    Is it:
    a) Do 1,2,3,4 now as I only need swop permit, do 5, do test, done.
    or
    b) Do 1,2,3,4 now, pay more to have to redo 1 and 3, then 5.
    or
    c) Wait till after January because then I can swop my permit and only have to do 1,3,5?

Hang on... unrestricted permit? Does that mean after mod 5 I can ride around on a turbo Hayabusa on the learners permit!? :eek:

OK, I think I get it; so everyone must do mod 1 and 3 at some point and mod 5 is either instead of mod 2 and 4 or a repeat on a bigger machine if you did them before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Any idea if the RSA or MAG intend on releasing accurate information dealing with all queries put to them over the past few months in line with any information they received at the meeting? Will they be releasing a final document which will be the final say on everything?

Can't speak for the RSA, but MAG Ireland will be replacing the 25kW license page with a new one once the full & final facts are established. That will happen after the RSA clarifies the situation in writing.

Anyway, the new EU 3rd Licensing Directive breaches the new EU Anti-Discrimination and Equality Directive - clearly discriminates on grounds of age and discriminates against those who wish to ride motorcycles.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

OK trying to get this straight in my head.

I'm 23 now and will be until May. If I wait until I turn 24 I will be able to exchange what is now my A LP for another A LP but for the new scheme? And then sit my test, the week after for arguments sake, on an unrestricted bike so I am then permanently unrestricted?

Am I right in thinking this is the case? I would not have to do Module 5, just get a bigger bike, and be able to pass the test on it?

It seems like you would be able to exchange it or get a new one, but to ride a big bike on the road and do your test you have to do the relevant IBT, so if you've already done IBT 1,2,3 & 4 you will have to do module 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Q. if you have a restricted cat A LP now, can you change it after 19th Jan for an unrestricted one if over 24.
    A. "yes"

That's a bloody joke. So I have a full A but have to see out my 2 year restriction yet a Learner can ride any bike they wish!:mad:
    Insurance companies are going to get a good laugh next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

MrScootch wrote: »
    Anyway, the new EU 3rd Licensing Directive breaches the new EU Anti-Discrimination and Equality Directive - clearly discriminates on grounds of age and discriminates against those who wish to ride motorcycles.

:eek:

The EU has done alot of things Scootch. Nothing surprises me anymore from them clowns.

MrScootch wrote: »
    It seems like you would be able to exchange it or get a new one, but to ride a big bike on the road and do your test you have to do the relevant IBT, so if you've already done IBT 1,2,3 & 4 you will have to do module 5.

Correct
    Reason being that previous IBT was done on a restricted bike. Module 5 will be done on the unrestricted bike. Once module 5 is done you can ride unrestricted with the usual learner restraints until the test is passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

To be honest, I think it's about time regulations were brought in that actually affect learner drivers positively. So often it is the case that learner drivers get punished for the mistakes of so called "experienced" drivers before they're even on the road. There was no way of introducing these regulations without some group being unhappy. Do bear in mind that, although it is unlikely, they may introduce a system whereby full licence holders can exchange their restricted licences.

• Advertisement

Faith+1 wrote: »
    That's a bloody joke. So I have a full A but have to see out my 2 year restriction yet a Learner can ride any bike they wish!:mad:
    Insurance companies are going to get a good laugh next year.

Faith
    It is a joke as we said at the meeting and this is one of the areas the RSA are fighting to have changed so you and many others can have the same options.
    The issue ATM is you cannot go back to a learner permit in a category you have a full licence for.
    Don't forget though that when the new compulsory lessons came in for bikes and cars everyone who had their permits before it came in never had to do it. Now some of it is more favourable to newbies everyone else thinks its not fair.
    It's a no win situation for the RSA but let's hope the EU see reason on this and allow them to give a way for restricted riders like you to progress quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

Q. if you have a restricted cat A LP now, can you change it after 19th Jan for an unrestricted one if over 24.
    A. "yes"

Q. Will the exchanged permit mean another 6 month wait
    A. "No"

Those are the two most important things for me, I presume they're definite (as much as they can be at the moment)

I'm currently 25 and have my A learner permit for over 6 months and haven't yet done IBT,
    So the way I see it I can wait till Jan 19th, exchange the current A learner permit for the new unrestricted A learner permit. I can then do IBT modules 1,3 and 5 and then do the test without having to wait 6 months from Jan?

It only seems to be complicated for people who have already started the process of IBT or have their test passed and want an unrestricted licence. Its not completely complicated if your starting out fresh although a few things do still need to be ironed out.

Do you think will instructors have school bikes available with the relevant power/cc for all the category's straight away, I imagine some will have to purchase a few new bikes to fit into the new rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

tu2j2 wrote: »
    Those are the two most important things for me, I presume they're definite (as much as they can be at the moment)

I'm currently 25 and have my A learner permit for over 6 months and haven't yet done IBT,
    So the way I see it I can wait till Jan 19th, exchange the current A learner permit for the new unrestricted A learner permit. I can then do IBT modules 1,3 and 5 and then do the test without having to wait 6 months from Jan?

It only seems to be complicated for people who have already started the process of IBT or have their test passed and want an unrestricted licence. Its not completely complicated if your starting out fresh although a few things do still need to be ironed out.

Do you think will instructors have school bikes available with the relevant power/cc for all the category's straight away, I imagine some will have to purchase a few new bikes to fit into the new rules.

You will have to do 1,2,3,4 and 5 on your IBT.

You will have to do 1,2,3,4 and 5 on your IBT.
    Hi mini
    only 1,3 & 5 will be required as module 5 is basically 2 & 4 but with some extra content bringing the whole process to 18 hours instead of 16 for direct access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Im over 24, Done my IBT. Im on my learner permit. I wont be sitting the test before jan 19th. So if I have this straight>>>> Ill need to do Module 5 of IBT and do my test on a unrestricted bike to get a full license.:confused:

Im over 24, Done my IBT. Im on my learner permit. I wont be sitting the test before jan 19th. So if I have this straight>>>> Ill need to do Module 5 of IBT and do my test on a unrestricted bike to get a full license.:confused:
    RT
    that's correct. if you did your test with your current permit you would receive a full A2. This is due to the restriction on your A atm. You need to change it for the new one in January allowing you to ride unrestricted after you have module 5 done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

these new regulations are the only reason I'm getting back into biking.

I always wanted to but didn't fancy the 2 yr restriction so didn't bother.
    Sitting theory this week, obtaining learner permit- exchanging this for unrestricted lp in Jan, doing IBT and test to get full unrestricted A..

Stuck the car up for sale the other day and its already sold:eek: didn't count on that as can't get bike until Jan.

On a side note- what would be a good bike to get to sit the test on?- I'm thinking a hornet 600..will be selling it straight after the test however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Will the RSA hold people to the 180kg rule when sitting the A license test? Bloody annoying- trying to decide on a bike and most of the ones I want are falling a few kg short of the 180..eg 2007 on Honda CB600 Hornet which is 173kg..

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Will the RSA hold people to the 180kg rule when sitting the A license test? Bloody annoying- trying to decide on a bike and most of the ones I want are falling a few kg short of the 180..eg 2007 on Honda CB600 Hornet which is 173kg..

The RSA are putting together a list of all motorcycles that come into this category. I presume that is for the testers to refer to and check.
    tu2j2 wrote: »

I have already had to sell on bikes to purchase for the new regs so I presume others will do the same. I am ready to go in Jan so imho I think that anyone looking to go the new route should seriously consider trying to book early for their training as we have all seen business drop due to almost everyone waiting until then.
    cojomo2 wrote: »
    On a side note- what would be a good bike to get to sit the test on?- I'm thinking a hornet 600..will be selling it straight after the test however.

I bought a 2002 Fazer 600 which comes in at around 70kw and 189 kg ;)

• Advertisement

Just on another note:
    The training of the new bike to bike testers is now complete so it could be quite possible that when the new regs come in you will be tested that way. No more hiding bad braking practice and duff gear changes in front of a tester that cant see your hands & feet :) At least they will be able to stay close and see your obs a bit better.

Advertisement