Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Regulations January 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Thanks for all the info so far Roadskill- great help.

Do you know if the 180kg minimum weight is dry or wet weight? Some manufactures spec sheets quote dry , others quote wet..The hornet is 178kg(dry) according to the Irish Honda site so would qualify if wet weight was acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info so far Roadskill- great help.

Do you know if the 180kg minimum weight is dry or wet weight? Some manufactures spec sheets quote dry , others quote wet..The hornet is 178kg(dry) according to the Irish Honda site so would qualify if wet weight was acceptable.

I have been told that its with fluids and fuel so that's all I know atm.
    Extra luggage and lead weights and all the other crazy idea's people are having won't work. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Roadskill wrote: »
    I have already had to sell on bikes to purchase for the new regs so I presume others will do the same. I am ready to go in Jan so imho I think that anyone looking to go the new route should seriously consider trying to book early for their training as we have all seen business drop due to almost everyone waiting until then.

Put me down for 20th Jan then! It's ****e having to wait or pay twice mind you.
    I need wheels!!!
    Any idea on cost yet Roadskill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I was talking to a friend who is driving instructor.

I'm over 24, drive a unrestricted HD as its under .16 rule and I'm on my 2nd A LP, no IBT as I did not have to sit it.

My basic understanding was in my situation that if i do my test now I'll have a 2 year restriction and thats worse thing. I'd also have the limit increased on the power of the bike.

So after talking to him, he had just finished the training and has seen the new policies. He tells me that I have to pass my test before the 19/01/13 or I will will simply not be allowed to drive my bike. I've read this entire tread and tried my best to understand the rsa documents. I still cant see how he is right.

Is he reading it wrong? He also said the cost of the test will double in price.

Can anyone clear this up before I kill someone!

I was talking to a friend who is driving instructor.

I'm over 24, drive a unrestricted HD as its under .16 rule and I'm on my 2nd A LP, no IBT as I did not have to sit it.

My basic understanding was in my situation that if i do my test now I'll have a 2 year restriction and thats worse thing. I'd also have the limit increased on the power of the bike.

So after talking to him, he had just finished the training and has seen the new policies. He tells me that I have to pass my test before the 19/01/13 or I will will simply not be allowed to drive my bike. I've read this entire tread and tried my best to understand the rsa documents. I still cant see how he is right.

Is he reading it wrong? He also said the cost of the test will double in price.

Can anyone clear this up before I kill someone!
    It's fairly straight forward for you. If you pass you test before 19th Jan then there is no change. you can see out the 2 year restriction and that's it.
    Pass after then and you will receive the new A2 licence (35kw .2kw/kg). This is because your permit is restricted. You can still ride your bike regardless as it's well within the new regs. The test is not going to double in price but there will be extra costs involved for training if someone wants to get direct access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Initially, the RSA said the power limit would increase for people in your situation. Later after consulting with the EU Commission on foot of points raised by MAG Ireland they rowed back on that and the position now is your limit will not be increased. See answer to Q11 here: http://www.magireland.org/2012/campaigns/training/rsa-responds-on-bike-license-queries/

In your situation I'd aim to pass the test before the new rules come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Hi thanks guys.

I'm planning on getting the test done before then, applying today.

I just did not want the added pressure of "if I don't pass, I can't ride" on my shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

quick questions
    If you swap old learners for restricted one do you have to wait another 6 month for test again ?
    How many hours is module 5 for some one who had already completed IBT ?

Notch000 wrote: »
    quick questions
    If you swap old learners for restricted one do you have to wait another 6 month for test again ?
    How many hours is module 5 for some one who had already completed IBT ?

Hi Notch000

See my post #199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Roadskill do you know if they'll increase the price of the test? Factoring in the bike to bike test and any other changes relevent to the A/A1/A2/AM categorys?

• Advertisement

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Roadskill do you know if they'll increase the price of the test? Factoring in the bike to bike test and any other changes relevent to the A/A1/A2/AM categorys?

No not yet anyway.

If you are over 24 and start the whole licence process after the new regs come in, can you ride whatever bike you want while on the learner permit before you complete the test or are you restricted?

No point in buying a bike and changing it 6 months later

I will have my learner permit next week (and I'm over 24)and ideally would like to buy a bike now instead of writing till Jan .

The bike I want is the new model hornet 600... how do I find out for sure if this bike will be acceptable to use for my test for full unrestricted A ..is there somewhere I can ring to get a definite answer ? It meets the published criteria with the exception of minimum weight..dry weight is 172 kg.

I take it I will have to restrict the bike until I exchange my learner permit for an unrestricted one in January ?

Last thing..in order to drive the bike in public I must do the IBT ..if I do 1-4 now I'll have yo do 5 in Jan which means I'll be paying double..not an option..is the re another way around this ? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

The bike I want is the new model hornet 600... how do I find out for sure if this bike will be acceptable to use for my test for full unrestricted A ..is there somewhere I can ring to get a definite answer ? It meets the published criteria with the exception of minimum weight..dry weight is 172 kg.

Here you go, they have a table with details near the bottom of the page,if your bike is not listed you can use the calculator below the table http://www.magireland.org/a2-license-facts/

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Here you go, they have a table with details near the bottom of the page,if your bike is not listed you can use the calculator below the table http://www.magireland.org/a2-license-facts/

Thanks for that..doesn't answer my question which related to A license bikes...appreciate the info all the same.

If you are over 24 and start the whole licence process after the new regs come in, can you ride whatever bike you want while on the learner permit before you complete the test or are you restricted?

No point in buying a bike and changing it 6 months later
    If your over 24 and start the process from the beginning after the new regs then you apply for the new A permit which is unrestricted, do ibt modules 1,3 & 5 then you can ride an unrestricted bike (with all the learner requirements of course). After 6 months take the test on a bike that meets the criteria.
    I will have my learner permit next week (and I'm over 24)and ideally would like to buy a bike now instead of writing till Jan .

I take it I will have to restrict the bike until I exchange my learner permit for an unrestricted one in January ?

Last thing..in order to drive the bike in public I must do the IBT ..if I do 1-4 now I'll have yo do 5 in Jan which means I'll be paying double..not an option..is the re another way around this ? Thanks

The Hornet is just under weight dry but I'm not sure whether it will be wet or dry tbh. I have been told wet but not 100% on that.
    You could always do what you suggest above and then hire the correct bike from your local instructor for the test.
    You can do ibt now but yes you will have to do module 5 as that is on a full power bike and must be signed off before you can sit an unrestricted test.
    I know what your saying you don't want to pay twice but at least the choice is there for you and you don't have to go for the A. You could always do the A2 test on the restricted Hornet and ride on that as long as you wish.

If your over 24 and start the process from the beginning after the new regs then you apply for the new A permit which is unrestricted, do ibt modules 1,3 & 5 then you can ride an unrestricted bike (with all the learner requirements of course). After 6 months take the test on a bike that meets the criteria.

The Hornet is just under weight dry but I'm not sure whether it will be wet or dry tbh. I have been told wet but not 100% on that.
    You could always do what you suggest above and then hire the correct bike from your local instructor for the test.
    You can do ibt now but yes you will have to do module 5 as that is on a full power bike and must be signed off before you can sit an unrestricted test.
    I know what your saying you don't want to pay twice but at least the choice is there for you and you don't have to go for the A. You could always do the A2 test on the restricted Hornet and ride on that as long as you wish.
    Thanks Roadskill.

So there is no where to find out for sure whether its wet or dry weight..seems a bit crazy.

I'm just back from my theory test now, 40/40:)
    going to apply for the permit on Monday- do you know if I need an eyesight report with this, even though I have a full B license ?Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

Thanks Roadskill.

So there is no where to find out for sure whether its wet or dry weight..seems a bit crazy.

I'm just back from my theory test now, 40/40:)
    going to apply for the permit on Monday- do you know if I need an eyesight report with this, even though I have a full B license ?Thanks

No eyesight report needed since you already have B licence.

RobertM wrote: »

hmm.I do have one alright but lost it last week- would they have a record of it on the system do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

Not sure to be honest. I can't remember if I had to present my full b licence when I applied for the A learner permit. Hopefully someone will be able to clear this out.

• Advertisement

Thanks Roadskill.

I have been told by a senior member of the RSA that it is wet but I don't want anyone to quote me on that.
    Anyway who rides a bike with no oil & fuel in it :confused:

RobertM wrote: »

Are you sure about this Robert..from my reading of it I will need .an eyesight report even if I have my full B drivers license ...thanks.

Are you sure about this Robert..from my reading of it I will need .an eyesight report even if I have my full B drivers license ...thanks.
    You are supposed to submit an eyesight report for a first learner permit application and within one month of the report being done.
    This is according to RSA guidelines.

You are supposed to submit an eyesight report for a first learner permit application and within one month of the report being done.
    This is according to RSA guidelines.

That's the meaning I took from it too...unless the eye report that was submitted for my b license counts for anything..

It may depend on how long ago that was. Afaik it's 5 years but you could give the motor tax office a quick call and clarify it.

When I applied for my bike LP they said I didn't need another eye test because it was already on file from my car license. The girl at the desk just took a photocopy of the car one.
    Got the car one 10 years ago so I think you're fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

MrScootch wrote: »
    When I applied for my bike LP they said I didn't need another eye test because it was already on file from my car license. The girl at the desk just took a photocopy of the car one.
    Got the car one 10 years ago so I think you're fine.

This is not aimed at you MrScootch, so please don't take it as such, but as someone who has not had to renew their licence yet, i did not realise that you did not have to provide a new eyesight report upon licence renewal etc.

From a quick look around the web it appears you only have to provide an eyesight report if you wear glasses already, your vision has deteriorated since your last licence application and you now wear glasses or have other sight problems. This to me sounds crazy. It would be very easy just to tick no on the form to the relevent questions and not have to worry about getting an eyesight report or as irish health put it :

"Also, some people who wear glasses, or need visual aids but may not be aware of that fact, and omit this detail from their licence application, are not required to submit an eye test result. In addition, any person under the age of 70 who completes the renewal form, and states that they do not need glasses for driving, are not required to have an eye examination to renew the licence."
    http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=20323

IMO regulations should be brought in for our safety, i think they should introduce regulations that require an eye report for every licence application/renewal, but i think that there should be a set charge, say €10 for the eye exam.

It is rather worrying to think that there are so many people on the road who probably haven't had an eye test in years and perhaps that familiar SMIDSY quote has some truth to it - they honestly didn't see us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think the ten year renewal should require a full driving test retest for each category. I've nothing to fear from that but plenty will :)

Scrap the cap!

chasm wrote: »
    It is rather worrying to think that there are so many people on the road who probably haven't had an eye test in years and perhaps that familiar SMIDSY quote has some truth to it - they honestly didn't see us!

Now that's a scary thought! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can someone advise me here?

I have no bike licence so i'm starting from scratch. I'm over 24 (30+).

Do I (a) Hold off until January and start getting my licence then so come June/July I will be able to get a full licence and an unrestricted bike.

or (b) get a learner licence now and it'll take 2 years before I can get an unrestricted bike.

What's my best option?

I've a full car & truck licence and have a dirt bike i've never insured as it's not used on the road.

Advertisement