Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Media: 39% of Under 25s unemployed

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

not1but4 wrote: »
    What is wrong with an IT degree?

Utterly useless for anything outside of It and tends to be held by a certain kind of person with no other skills.

Not slagging or anything,just an observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

djpbarry wrote: »
    To what end?

Anything is possible- just look at the protests in Ukraine, more recently Egypt, Tunisia, Libya. The populations just said enough is enough and they hit the streets till they got regime change. Wheather that is or the better or not remains to be seen but I was just making the point that if 250,000 under 25's took to a long term protest on the streets of Dublin they could (with organisation) collapse the government, in a peaceful manner too.

I don't believe for one minute that they'll actually get organised and do it but it is not outside of the realms of possibility. To what end? 200,000 jobs aren't going to pop out of no-where thats for sure. But if the current lot were stopped wasting money on bailing dead banks there might be a good bit more in the pot to create some. We're going in totally the wrong direction at the moment and they only people who don't realise it are FG?Lab, this crises is getting worse in 2012, not better so something has to give if the young are to get back into work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

No, it isn’t. Taking third level as an example, the registration fee (or whatever it’s called) represents a tiny fraction of the actual cost of the course.

Thats great, doesn't refute the fact there is a sizeable amount of money required to attend
    And finally, given that you are from a “middle-class” background and I am (apparently) from a “working class” background, perhaps you could outline for me some of the difficulties I may have faced in making the ascent to “middle class” that you did not have to contend with in your life?

Well as I've said I don't think you are working class. However in a general sense the dynamic of the relationship is demonstrated by proximity and access to capital.
    But generally speaking, there is little stopping anyone from, for example, pursuing a degree, regardless of background.

Sure, everything except, financial and culturual/societal pressures and expectations.
    Genuine question: define “disadvantaged” in this context.

Eh... really? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=disadvantaged&l=1

If you're interested in learning more about the rigid class structure in Ireland. There is an excellent report here http://www.tascnet.ie/upload/file/MtGC%20ISSU.pdf

Its called Mapping the Golden Circle.

In addition there is also a reasonably level headed discussion of the issue on politics.ie http://www.politics.ie/forum/culture-community/178515-modern-ireland-its-rigid-social-class-system.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Degsy wrote: »
    Utterly useless for anything outside of It and tends to be held by a certain kind of person with no other skills.

Not slagging or anything,just an observation.
    It's not just an observation - it's a stupid, baseless generalisation.

RATM wrote: »
    Anything is possible- just look at the protests in Ukraine, more recently Egypt, Tunisia, Libya. The populations just said enough is enough and they hit the streets till they got regime change.
    I'm going to ignore for now the ridiculous comparison being made between Ireland and Libya, for example.

What would "regime change" accomplish in Ireland?

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Thats great, doesn't refute the fact there is a sizeable amount of money required to attend
    Well, “sizeable” is a relative term, isn’t it? Relative to the total cost of the course, it’s not all that sizeable at all.
    Well as I've said I don't think you are working class.
    I am from a working class background. Outline the obstacles I have encountered please.
    However in a general sense the dynamic of the relationship is demonstrated by proximity and access to capital.
    That’s a pretty loose definition? For example, the average tradesman in London unquestionably earns more than I do, yet they would classified as “working class”, but I’m middle class?
    Sure, everything except, financial...
    That’s what grants are for.
    ...and culturual/societal pressures and expectations.
    Meaning what exactly?
    Yes, really. It may surprise you to learn that different words mean different things to different people.
    If you're interested in learning more about the rigid class structure in Ireland. There is an excellent report here http://www.tascnet.ie/upload/file/MtGC%20ISSU.pdf

Its called Mapping the Golden Circle.
    It’s a report on Ireland’s “golden circle”? Is that really representative of the “middle class” in Ireland?

Well, “sizeable” is a relative term, isn’t it? Relative to the total cost of the course, it’s not all that sizeable at all.
    I am from a working class background. Outline the obstacles I have encountered please.
    That’s a pretty loose definition? For example, the average tradesman in London unquestionably earns more than I do, yet they would classified as “working class”, but I’m middle class?
    That’s what grants are for.
    Meaning what exactly?
    Yes, really. It may surprise you to learn that different words mean different things to different people.
    It’s a report on Ireland’s “golden circle”? Is that really representative of the “middle class” in Ireland?

The golden circle (along with the p.ie thread) is a good description of the class based system at work. Its a bit naive to think that such structure does not perpetuate throughout all levels of society. In addition someone's class is not directly attached to their salary/wages, its a far more complex system than that. Which you don't appear to have any interest in learning about or acknowledging .

You have just gotten dull and boring at this stage, I have no interest in continuing this cyclical discussion. However I'll leave it on one thing, words generally don't mean different things to different people. Language has standardised definitions to enable communication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

You have just gotten dull and boring at this stage, I have no interest in continuing this cyclical discussion. However I'll leave it on one thing, words generally don't mean different things to different people. Language has standardised definitions to enable communication.

OK, two things:

1. warning for being uncivil - the above and the LMGTFY.

2. words like 'disadvantaged' are either meaninglessly subjective in political debate, or are defined in some particular way - that is, they're either defined as "on <50% of average industrial wage" or the like, or they mean "people I personally think are disadvantaged according to some subjective criteria". In neither case do your smart-alec remarks apply.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote: »
    OK, two things:

1. warning for being uncivil - the above and the LMGTFY.

2. words like 'disadvantaged' are either meaninglessly subjective in political debate, or are defined in some particular way - that is, they're either defined as "on <50% of average industrial wage" or the like, or they mean "people I personally think are disadvantaged according to some subjective criteria". In neither case do your smart-alec remarks apply.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Meaninglessly subjective? it refers to someone lacking money or external economic supports. There is a dictionary definition as the third link, how on earth could it be any more specific?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I'm going to ignore for now the ridiculous comparison being made between Ireland and Libya, for example.

What would "regime change" accomplish in Ireland?

I wouldn't usually answer a question with a question but in this case it is appropriate. What would not having regime change accomplish in Ireland? Simple, it would doom us to repeating the mistakes of the past.

And we're pretty good at repeating the mistakes of the past. Case in point- AIB. 2008 was not the first time the Irish public bailed them out, we had already done it twice before. Quinn Insurance- also not the first time an insurance company had been bailed out- we had to do it for PMPA and continue to pay the price to this day in the form of a levy.

There is a fundamental problem with the way Ireland has been governed since the foundation of the State. And it has never been tackled and as a result we make the same mistakes over and over again. There is a cancer at the very heart of Irish society and the consequences of it are 450,000 being unemployed. Throw in all those who have emigrated and are on training courses and the figure is closer to 600,000. That is a monumental failure of governance.

Our whole mess was created by less than 1000 people in this country. Remove them and replace them with people who have the nations interest at heart and then regime change would accomplish something. But the fact you asked the question seems to suggest that there is nothing that can be done to change the status quo. Which is exactly what those 1000 people who wrecked this country want you to think.

I wouldn't usually answer a question with a question but in this case it is appropriate. What would not having regime change accomplish in Ireland?
    Didn’t Ireland recently hold a democratic election?
    There is a cancer at the very heart of Irish society and the consequences of it are 450,000 being unemployed.
    That’s an overestimate of about 150,000.
    Our whole mess was created by less than 1000 people in this country.
    I think that’s incredibly naive. Ireland created Ireland’s mess. You can apportion different levels of blame to different people, or different groups of people, but ultimately, Irish society as whole is a responsible for where the country is today.

I should of course qualify that statement by saying that I don’t believe things in Ireland are really all that bad.

Anyways, this is getting off-topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Blowfish wrote: »
    It seems there's an issue where young males just out of school are either not managing to get into entry level jobs or are not pursuing third level education as much as their female counterparts. This is a problem.
    In the past, those that were better with their hands left school early, or at the very least finished school (not caring about their grades) and walked into an apprenticeship.
    Hill Bicks wrote: »
    Look at how angry people get when it comes to S/W payments on boards.ie. nearly 10,000 views.
    I'd say 90% of the people who are angry work, and thus wouldn't be able to get a day off to protest. And probably another 90% of those that get S/W don't care enough to protest against getting it...
    Our whole mess was created by less than 1000 people in this country.
    The mess was created by the builder, the developer, those at the top as well as those at the bottom. A few may have started it, but once started everyone jumped on the bandwagon and rode the tiger until it died suddenly.
    Remove them and replace them with people who have the nations interest at heart and then regime change would accomplish something.
    No-one has the nations interest at heart. They only have their own wallet at heart. Regime change would accomplish nothing without throwing those in the job at the moment, and killing them. And then hoping that the 100,000 people who you replace them with have a clue how to run the country without a handbook telling them how it was ran before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

ardmacha wrote: »
    As was pointed out on Irisheconomy, it is not as simple as that. This is is 39% of those not in education, and a substantial number of this group are in education. Of those not in education, there are graduates (mostly employed) and those with little education (most of the figure above).

Thanks for pointing this out; link for anyone whos is interested
    http://www.irisheconomy.ie/index.php/category/unemployment/

NEET = Not in employment, education or training.

Youth%20Labour%20Table.png

Advertisement