Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda awarded third compensation award, latest for €300,000

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Have ye drink taken?

Why did it take 11 years to settle a case like this?

Was he punched by Mike Tyson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

phoenix999 wrote: »
    Ex Garda awarded a third compo payment. The latest being 300grand for a box to the head. Do people think this is excessive?
    [/url]

the out of touch judiciary and ambulance chasing solicitors cripple this country - put another way , as a youth I got an unmerciful belt from a garda , but after a few days I got over it and got on with my life - if you join the Garda , should you not expect the odd belt in the course of duty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

thebaz wrote: »
    the out of touch judiciary and ambulance chasing solicitors cripple this country - put another way , as a youth I got an unmerciful belt from a garda , but after a few days I got over it and got on with my life - if you join the Garda , should you not expect the odd belt in the course of duty

Judges make awards not solicitors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

He sounds like a fcking chancer.

I'd let anybody kick 7 shades of ****e out of me for that kind of cash, at least let the people get their money's worth.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Judges make awards not solicitors

whats your point ?

that the judges are the bad boys - its a feckin cosy cartel of the countrys elite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

3 claims he sounds like a compo hound, I know a few. None of them ever deserve them.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

bane must have been on holidays down there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

Ms Justice Mary Irvine.

this woman is handing out money like nobody's business.

whats her gripe.?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

if he only got badly assaulted 3 times in his career he was doing well. Gardai are dealing with people breaking the law everyday , a lot high on drugs and extremely dangerous. He was compensated for loss of earnings not only for the injury so depending on his service his actual compensation for the injury could have been low. He got what he deserved , the sc.m on the street are making a fortune for lying in court about assaults on them where are the complaints about this??????????????

Ms Justice Mary Irvine.

this woman is handing out money like nobody's business.

whats her gripe.?

is she accountable to anyone ? or can she continue dishing out money unchecked, as if the country is awash with money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

is she accountable to anyone ? or can she continue dishing out money unchecked, as if the country is awash with money

How dare you question our betters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

He sounds like a fcking chancer.

I'd let anybody kick 7 shades of ****e out of me for that kind of cash, at least let the people get their money's worth.

But would you give up your career and possibly lifestyle?

I'm not saying it was definitely deserved, but awards of this size are not given out willy nilly for just a punch in the head. If so I'd be a millionaire.

However I do wonder about a Garda getting 'post traumatic stress disorder' after a punch. If he was exaggerating, he really must have committed to it but I'm sure he'd have been found out.

but awards of this size are not given out willy nilly for just a punch in the head. If so I'd be a millionaire.

again depends on the judge , some are great and live in the real world , others are in fantasy land - and I'm not sure who, if anyone, they are accountable to ??

it seams a world hidden from the ordinary people , and that is my gripe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Toxic7

Why the hell did she give him €300,000 for a black eye?
    Theres nothing wrong with him
    He suffers from "Anxiety".Yeah right...

again depends on the judge , some are great and live in the real world , others are in fantasy land - and I'm not sure who, if anyone, they are accountable to ??

it seams a world hidden from the ordinary people , and that is my gripe

But without proper evidence to prove that a claim for loss of future earnings is deserved, the respondent's legal council will tear you to shreds under cross examination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Don't hate the playa, hate the game yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Well he was assaulted twice before in the course of duty, and each time he returned to his job.

I highly doubt he just wandered around every day waiting for a criminal to attack him so he could potentially have a big payday.

Its easy to slate him from behind the comfort of your keyboard, I wonder how many people here would keep going back to a job where people physically attacked you regularly and the general public's reaction was to call you a "fcking chancer" and a "compo hound" for requesting the compensation you're fully entitled to claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

As a result, Mr Lynn had lost his status in society

i'm sorry, the day of the garda, the bank manager and the parish priest are long gone.

so, was he one of these guys??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Let go due to ill health... I've met a couple like that before. Days off sick continually, then a long extended period off due to "stress" and then never came back except being in a close knit work/friend environment you know they were just playing the system. One girl openly bragged about it....

He sounds like a waster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Umaro wrote: »
    Well he was assaulted twice before in the course of duty, and each time he returned to his job.

I highly doubt he just wandered around every day waiting for a criminal to attack him so he could potentially have a big payday.

Its easy to slate him from behind the comfort of your keyboard, I wonder how many people here would keep going back to a job where people physically attacked you regularly and the general public's reaction was to call you a "fcking chancer" and a "compo hound" for requesting the compensation you're fully entitled to claim.

This chap was a garda he wasn't working in a shop. The state has basically paid him 300,00 for realising that he's not cut out for his job.

I'm delighted he isn't a garda anymore. Imagine there was an intruder in your house, you ring the Gardai and along comes this fella and his solicitor. Fcuk that.

• Advertisement

But without proper evidence to prove that a claim for loss of future earnings is deserved, the respondent's legal council will tear you to shreds under cross examination.

unfortunatly I do not understand all the legal technicalities of law - but the payout in this case seams excessive in the extreme - certainly not the only one - there seams to be many cases of over paying compensation - my question is , is anyone accountable for such large payouts ? ( ultimatly paid for by the citizens of ireland, most of whom have feck all money , including yours truly and most people i know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

Lynn from Mayo?

Is he anything to that other chancer/dodgy solicitor Michael Lynn who disappeared off to Bulgaria/Brazil with millions he defrauded?

http://www.diarmaidcondon.com/gardai-to-seek-michael-lynn-extradition-irish-daily-mail/

Lynn from Mayo?

Is he anything to that other chancer/dodgy solicitor Michael Lynn who disappeared off to Bulgaria/Brazil with millions he defrauded?

http://www.diarmaidcondon.com/gardai-to-seek-michael-lynn-extradition-irish-daily-mail/

Probably not. Plenty of Lynn's around, I'm aware that there's also a barrister with the exact same name as the dodgy solicitor but who has nothing whatsoever to do with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Did anyone actually read the article before coming on here to take a cheap pop at a Garda?he didn't retire because he received a black eye like.

It state's that he suffers headaches and PTSD and anxiety which resulted in him having to leave the force,he would've had to present detailed medical evidence to back up these claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yes but if that assualt ends your career and leaves you with PTSD I think you are worthly of compensation. At the end of the day no one gets paid to be taking boxes to the head.

I would also add PTSD is no joke and one that can change the quality of a person's life dramstically; it is a serious clinical condition

unfortunatly I do not understand all the legal technicalities of law

Oh yeah, that's a whole other thread altogether. Get out the popcorn for that one. :D

but the payout in this case seams excessive in the extreme - certainly not the only one - there seams to be many cases of over paying compensation - my question is , is anyone accountable for such large payouts ? ( ultimatly paid for by the citizens of ireland, most of whom have feck all money , including yours truly and most people i know

Usually actually it's the smaller claims which tend to be over compensated, but that's not as big a deal as it's still in four figures. Probably to try to ensure that smaller claims are dealt with quickly and out of court which in itself will keep costs way down.

If, however, it is proved that someone genuinely suffered injuries which resulted in the loss of their job including future earnings and pension due to assault or even just someone else's negligence then it is possible that €300,000 doesn't cover it. And the burden of proof is on the claimant.

As for who's accountable and who pays, well I suppose we just have to trust the system to not let people away with screwing us. And if you don't like it or you think that the system is letting us down, there are always avenues available to do something about it, although it won't be easy but that's democracy/bureaucracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Odysseus wrote: »
    Yes but if that assualt ends your career and leaves you with PTSD I think you are worthly of compensation. At the end of the day no one gets paid to be taking boxes to the head.

I would also add PTSD is no joke and one that can change the quality of a person's life dramstically; it is a serious clinical condition

I'm not clear on why it ended his career though. It also seems like they should be psychologically testing prospective Gardaí, as developing PTSD in a situation like this seems extreme (albeit I claim no real knowledge of the subject).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Zab wrote: »
    I'm not clear on why it ended his career though. It also seems like they should be psychologically testing prospective Gardaí, as developing PTSD in a situation like this seems extreme (albeit I claim no real knowledge of the subject).

PTSD can hit anyone, it can severely change the quality of a subjects life and we can't tell in advance who it will affect. Slighly off topic I used to be part of a team for the HSE we supplied psychological interventions to staff attacked during work. It was a voluntary service which cost little to run.

Guess what it was disbanded due to cut backs, now staff are referred to psychologists in private practice. A typical session will cost 80e-100e and the amount of session a person will need varies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Toxic7 wrote: »
    Why the hell did she give him €300,000 for a black eye?
    Theres nothing wrong with him
    He suffers from "Anxiety".Yeah right...

Phew, thanks for that Doctor. Hasn't medicine come a long way that you can diagnose a person simply by reading a newpaper article on an internet forum about them.
    Did anyone actually read the article before coming on here to take a cheap pop at a Garda?he didn't retire because he received a black eye like.

It state's that he suffers headaches and PTSD and anxiety which resulted in him having to leave the force,he would've had to present detailed medical evidence to back up these claims.

^^^ What he said, I'm sure he just didn't stroll into court with a box of Anadin and shout "Look, I've to take these everyday".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

He suffered headaches linked to post traumatic stress disorder.

"God this reminds me of Vietnam"
    "You were in Vietnam?"
    "Ah, no father, the films!"

*mental note: never hit a guard. they will ruin your life for one lapse in judgment*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Scammer, end of.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

love the line 'lost his status in society' hmmmm there was me thinking gardai arent the most popular crowd going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

i'm impressed with the number of mental health preofessionals hiding in After Hours. It says a lot for our third level education system that we can produce such professionals that can diagnose a man based an a newspaper article. i was particularly taken in by this detailed diagnosis.
    cowzerp wrote: »
    Scammer, end of.

It's evident that this poster was top of his class in medical school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ahh headaches and mental suffering, where would compo solicitor's be without them? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Judge Irvine again?

We are having threads on her mad awards almost every month now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I really want to believe that last part. For some reason though....when I think of this country and when I think of someone giving evidence that they are unwell, it's along the lines of:

Victim: "I get fierce bad migraines your Honour".
    Judge: "Jasus lad, I don't know how you cope. Here you go.....".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Got a punch to the head
    lost the career he fought so hard to get into.

What man or lady goes to Templemore and doesn't expect to get a few thumps over their career :confused:

It shouldn't happen but it always will happen, same for any force in any country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

So he had 2 other compensations before...

This is a f.....g joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The judge found Mr Lynn still suffered anxiety. She was satisfied he was not “a malingerer” but a committed and conscientious member of the force unlikely to have given up his career were it not for the injury. The €301,242 award includes compensation for loss of earnings to date and into the future.

judges in this country are morons.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Judge Irvine again?

We are having threads on her mad awards almost every month now

again , my point is, is she accountable to anyone for awarding outrageous payments , of public funding - I believe the judiciary are a law on to themselves , but i stand to be corrected (in legal parlance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

phoenix999 wrote: »
    Ex Garda awarded a third compo payment. The latest being 300grand for a box to the head. Do people think this is excessive?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0727/1224320884827.html
    Only reinforces my views that nine out of every ten Garda are next to useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Plazaman wrote: »

^^^ What he said, I'm sure he just didn't stroll into court with a box of Anadin and shout "Look, I've to take these everyday".
    His lawyer had him well coached before hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

After reading one news article, people are questioning a judge who has digested all of the evidence over a long period...€300,000 may sound like a lottery win to some but the guy has been deemed unfit to work by professionals in their field!

So he's missing out on wages, pension etc over the course of the rest of his potential career. Put that way its not that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Mental Handicap and Psychiatric Nurses get the shìte beat out of them weekly by patients, don't see chunks of payment like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

He suffered headaches linked to post traumatic stress disorder.

The article said he suffered headaches because of the PTSD.
    So not because of aome physical damage. They are purely psychological in origin.

I was once jumped a a group of ****heads. they kicked the crap out of me. I still walked past that spot every day for 4 years after that point and still have scars on my head. I was awarded 1000 by the court.

Do I have PTSD? no. I'm not alone either. There are thousands of victims of assaults every year. Far worse than a black eye. The guy's a pussy who shouldn't have been a guard in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Mental Handicap and Psychiatric Nurses get the shìte beat out of them weekly by patients, don't see chunks of payment like that.
    Very true. And you are actually more likely to get a assaulted in an Accident and Emergency by patients than psych nurses. It's an occupational hazzard.

With headaches and PTSD, both are hard to disprove. Maybe your man deserved it, I'm not convinved.

I just have to reiterate part of the article:
    The judge ... was satisfied he was not “a malingerer” but a committed and conscientious member of the force unlikely to have given up his career were it not for the injury. The €301,242 award includes compensation for loss of earnings to date and into the future.

His injuries would have to be proved and have stood up to scrutiny especially in light of him having received compensation previously. It took eleven years for the case to be settled so I'm assuming the claimant and his injuries were examined thoroughly.

The size of the award is also explained there.

For the people who are sure the whole thing is a con or that the judge was wrong, maybe you're right but I'm sure there're plenty of details that were omitted from the article, some of which could possibly change your opinion. This was an eleven year ordeal including and assault, the loss of a career, plenty of medical examination and at least one high court hearing and it was summed up in a 289 word news article. I'm not saying that it was definitely justified but I'm not rushing to judgement based on that article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm not saying that it was definitely justified but I'm not rushing to judgement based on that article.

You obviously don't belong in AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I just have to reiterate part of the article:

His injuries would have to be proved and have stood up to scrutiny especially in light of him having received compensation previously. It took eleven years for the case to be settled so I'm assuming the claimant and his injuries were examined thoroughly.

The size of the award is also explained there.

For the people who are sure the whole thing is a con or that the judge was wrong, maybe you're right but I'm sure there're plenty of details that were omitted from the article, some of which could possibly change your opinion. This was an eleven year ordeal including and assault, the loss of a career, plenty of medical examination and at least one high court hearing and it was summed up in a 289 word news article. I'm not saying that it was definitely justified but I'm not rushing to judgement based on that article.

For a black eye ?

What ordeal ffs , clearly played the system and won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Jarren wrote: »
    For a black eye ?

What ordeal ffs , clearly played the system and won.

For PTSD and loss of a career.

• Advertisement
Advertisement