Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda awarded third compensation award, latest for €300,000

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Jarren wrote: »
    For a black eye ?

What ordeal ffs , clearly played the system and won.

Like I said, it took eleven years in which evidence was collected, presented and examined but you're basing your opinion on a 289 word summary.

I'm not saying it's justified, just admitting that I don't know enough about it to publicly defame someone.
    Grayson wrote: »
    You obviously don't belong in AH

How about now? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

But If I can't do my job,then I just resign.

What was his problem then ?

They are many people seriously assaulted in their work place,somehow I'm under impression that they won't be getting that amount of money.

Banana Republic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

MagicSean wrote: »
    For PTSD and loss of a career.

He lost his career because he got punched in the face? He didn't have a career to start with if being hit a dig left him with PTSD

Can't wait to see how much every bouncer in this city is gonna get off justice irvine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

leaving aside the debate over whether the claim is joke or not, why not get the actual perpetrator and not the tax payer to compensate him? could you imagine a bouncer made this claim, he'd probably be laughed out of court!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Bambi wrote: »
    He lost his career because he got punched in the face? He didn't have a career to start with if being hit a dig left him with PTSD

Can't wait to see how much every bouncer in this city is gonna get off justice irvine

Can't wait to see how much every bouncer in this city is gonna have to pay out after a justice irvine ruling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

For PTSD and loss of a career.

This is BS, he played the system and a stinking judge looked after him encouraging more scammers to claim the same sort of shiite as this.

He'll most likely be working somewhere else soon and laughing at the tax payer, Getting punched aint that bad and i have been punched Thousands of times, With that said he is not only a scammer but a wuss to boot.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

cowzerp wrote: »
    This is BS, he played the system and a stinking judge looked after him encouraging more scammers to claim the same sort of shiite as this.

He'll most likely be working somewhere else soon and laughing at the tax payer, Getting punched aint that bad and i have been punched Thousands of times, With that said he is not only a scammer but a wuss to boot.

Yeah, complete wimp.

You know who else was a complete wimp? That guy in Camden Street that got punched once and then died. I mean what the hell? How weak do you have to be to die from a slap. Absolute disgrace. I mean, all punches are the exact same and have the exact same result don't they?

Its like the other day when I fell off my bike. I just got up and went my way, no harm. This morning a guy in front of me fell off his bike. Out cold, lots of blood, ambulance had to take him away. How weak can you be? The people that stopped to help him should have just shouted abuse at him until he woke up from being knocked out and went on his way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Not everyone can be as hard as you I guess. PTSD can be triggered after a small incident if there has been a build up before hand. You don't get PTSD from one punch but it can trigger it. It's the proverbial straw on the camels back if you will.

EDIT: I wonder does your fight academy have the same attitude to the health and welfare of its members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Can't wait to see how much every bouncer in this city is gonna have to pay out after a justice irvine ruling.

the enforcer of the nanny state or banana republic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Your a boxing mod with a boxing academy signature so I'll go out on a limb and say your a boxer? In which case getting punched is a hobby and not a hazard of your job.

From reading the article, the guy got sucker punched when not expecting it by a drunken lout.

I will agree though with other posters, why is it only Gardai that can apply for Compo and not Nurses, Bouncers and Firemen etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Not everyone can be as hard as you I guess. PTSD can be triggered after a small incident if there has been a build up before hand. You don't get PTSD from one punch but it can trigger it. It's the proverbial straw on the camels back if you will.

EDIT: I wonder does your fight academy have the same attitude to the health and welfare of its members.

HA HA, Don't join the guards if you cant accept the risks that come with it-I'm not talking about been hard but calling shenanigans on this clown who wanted out of a job and to get good money while he was at it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

HA HA, Don't join the guards if you cant accept the risks that come with it-I'm not talking about been hard but calling shenanigans on this clown who wanted out of a job and to get good money while he was at it.

Are you suggesting people should be able to predict if they will get PTSD?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I presume your opinions were just as well founded and reasoned before you set out upon your rigorous programme of getting whooped upside the head?

I fail to see how the (entirely separate from the general personal injuries system) awards made in the Garda Compensation Scheme are going to open the floodgates. Unless you predict a mass joining of the Gardai, followed by a tsunami of them beating the lard out of each other, followed by profit...

I also note that this is the same Judge Irvine who was scathing of claimants under the scheme who were claiming PTSD from being spat at by junkies.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Plazaman wrote: »
    I will agree though with other posters, why is it only Gardai that can apply for Compo and not Nurses, Bouncers and Firemen etc.
    The Garda scheme was set up by Statute in 1941. I'd imagine why Gardai were singled out as being "special" has to do with their importance in the general business of keeping the peace in the State.

There is plenty of caselaw out there of nurses, bouncers and firemen being compensated for injuries sustained "on the job". It just goes through the regular personal injuries system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Are you suggesting people should be able to predict if they will get PTSD?

it must have been one hell of a punch to get PTSD , I too have had plenty of blows to the head , but after a day or 2 just get on with my life - I'm all for deserving compensation for Gardai (or any citizen for that matter) who go through seriuos trauma as a result of duty , but this all seams a bit extreme to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

This was his third load of compensation from two previous assaults in the line of duty.

This lad is either the unluckiest Guard that ever stood in steel toe cap boots or a solid chancer.

I believe he's firmly the latter.

reprazant wrote: »
    Yeah, complete wimp.

You know who else was a complete wimp? That guy in Camden Street that got punched once and then died. I mean what the hell? How weak do you have to be to die from a slap. Absolute disgrace. I mean, all punches are the exact same and have the exact same result don't they?

allow me to offer you this:

I will bet you folding money that the guy died from the impact of his head on the ground rather than from the impact of the punch. Fancy those odd's?

the copper got a dig in the head, big swing of a rubber mickey.
    If someone handed me 300,000 grand for every time I've been punched in the head by some scumbag I'd have made at least 900k in the last five years. Not bad money for a civvie :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

300 grand for a shiner! Not bad.:);)

I'll bet that garda was singing something like this as he gaily skipped his way to the bank to deposit the cheque::D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Most likely this third assault was the assault that broke the proverbial camels back and brought on PTSD and anxiety in his place of work.But no,he's a pussy,PTSD doesn't exist etc...

The stigma of mental health problems being only for weak people is stll alive and well in AH it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

How long would he have lasted as a cop in America.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

a friend of mine who is a psychiatric nurse in the UK had his nose broken and 2 cracked ribs, and on another occasion a patient attempted to strangle him.

he didn't ask for or receive a penny compo.

this "guard" sounds like a complete scammer, and i hope some insurance company is doing undercover surveillance on this guy as i believe they'll discover there aint much wrong with him.

disgraceful.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Next thing you'll be telling me our soldiers were going deaf :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

What I really don't get, is posters giving it all the "Sure I get the head boxed off me and I'm grand" or "Sure Tommy down the road got a bang of a train and there's not a bother on him!" bollocks about this case and acting as if every single person's mind reacts the same way to stressful events.

I'd imagine the people who diagnosed him with PTSD and the fact said diagnosis was judged to be correct, following a process which went on for years, says far more about the case than people talking ****e on here, without the slightest notion what they're on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

he must be a very good actor. and i bet when this dies down he'll get a job as a doorman or a secuirty gaurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Mental Handicap and Psychiatric Nurses get the shìte beat out of them weekly by patients, don't see chunks of payment like that.
    was thinking exactly this as well.
    support staff get it throughout the day>everyday at our residential centre,its worse for them on the kids side where a profoundly autistic lad runs the place-he controls the tv [so it stays on teletubbies,the rest of the kids never get to see whats on it] ,he is bought a giant birthday cake EVERYDAY out of petty cash which is supposed to go towards all of the kids but it goes almost all to him,he smashes all of their plates/cups etc by throwing them out the window,he pisses on all staff and kids bedding and gets extremely violent if staff dont come here to take ours,he lays into the profoundly autistic kids in wheelchairs with no ability to fight back, he constantly tries to come into our building to steal our food drink etc and he will run into any residents bedroom and start attacking,dragging their bedding off them to to rip it up.
    he destroyed the counter in the next door shop-first he destroyed a fence panel to get in there and wanted to grab a load of sweets but they woudnt give them him.
    he also smashes the walls up by banging his bum on them-the place is constantly being replastered,plus he destroyed an entire kitchen floor-he does this all night and keeps us awake.
    he is so violent and uses it as a threat to get what he wants.
    we have staff come and go every week because of him,almost no staff can deal with him,
    they lock themselves away if he goes on one because they know how dangerous he is.

if he fancies going to our local sports centre,but he isnt allowed-his staff phone the sports centre and ask them to shut up shop at the front-with shutters and everything,and they will bring him there to show him its shut,this is all because the last time he went and they didnt do this,he went in and attacked members of staff and trashed the place.
    the local shops fear him because he goes in and starts taking what he wants,and his support staff dont stop him as they fear being attacked-shops settle the bill with staff later.
    its an absolute piss take.

and staff say they get paid very little for the job,they do not get compo for any physical damage,they have to pay for their own innoculations [like hep] if they are bitten/scratched and they said they do not even get one break as no one is here to cover them.

its absolute BS that that guy can get a sht ton of money when people in the care industry have to take beatings and worse as part of their crappily paid job.
    shoud also note,we just found out today that that particular resident has been served notice and within seven days has to be transfered to a new,extremely secure unit because of OFSTED being brought in by a childs parents [he was being bitten and hit by him].
    its welcomed by all of us,but awful for the lad to,he was never like this some years ago until ex staff used sweets and other things for an easy life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Where you there when he was assaulted? No, neither was the journalist. They're paid to sensationalize stories to get people like yourself and others excited and annoyed by these kind of stories. He was assaulted and suffers PTSD as a result. Have you ever suffered from PTSD? Its not fun, it's truly horrible and life changing. Referring to somebody as a wuss from an uninformed position is just plain ignorant and low. Okay people do scam the system, but you can't say one way or another that he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Sounds like a wuss to me. Wasn't cut out for the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Scruffles wrote: »
    was thinking exactly this as well.
    support staff get it throughout the day>everyday at our residential centre,its worse for them on the kids side where a profoundly autistic lad runs the place-he controls the tv [so it stays on teletubbies,the rest of the kids never get to see whats on it] ,he is bought a giant birthday cake EVERYDAY out of petty cash which is supposed to go towards all of the kids but it goes almost all to him,he smashes all of their plates/cups etc by throwing them out the window,he pisses on all staff and kids bedding and gets extremely violent if staff dont come here to take ours,he lays into the profoundly autistic kids in wheelchairs with no ability to fight back, he constantly tries to come into our building to steal our food drink etc and he will run into any residents bedroom and start attacking,dragging their bedding off them to to rip it up.
    he destroyed the counter in the next door shop-first he destroyed a fence panel to get in there and wanted to grab a load of sweets but they woudnt give them him.
    he also smashes the walls up by banging his bum on them-the place is constantly being replastered,plus he destroyed an entire kitchen floor-he does this all night and keeps us awake.
    he is so violent and uses it as a threat to get what he wants.
    we have staff come and go every week because of him,almost no staff can deal with him,
    they lock themselves away if he goes on one because they know how dangerous he is.

if he fancies going to our local sports centre,but he isnt allowed-his staff phone the sports centre and ask them to shut up shop at the front-with shutters and everything,and they will bring him there to show him its shut,this is all because the last time he went and they didnt do this,he went in and attacked members of staff and trashed the place.
    the local shops fear him because he goes in and starts taking what he wants,and his support staff dont stop him as they fear being attacked-shops settle the bill with staff later.
    its an absolute piss take.

and staff say they get paid very little for the job,they do not get compo for any physical damage,they have to pay for their own innoculations [like hep] if they are bitten/scratched and they said they do not even get one break as no one is here to cover them.

That guy should be in a padded cell. Once he is a danger to other children he should have been locked away. He is no more important than the other children than can't get a cake because he gets them all. He shouldn't have the run of the place if he can't be dealt with safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Mental Handicap and Psychiatric Nurses get the shìte beat out of them weekly by patients, don't see chunks of payment like that.

If it ends their career they will, they where the highest group we used to treat for work related attacks when the HSE had a CISM team. CISM= Critical Incident Stress Management.

I'm only 42 and I work with a potential violent group, I would not be happy with the type of cash if it ended my career.

I have treated lads who have been to war and had some very soul destroying experiences, however they where still awarded medals for their courage. I know one ex-para who has to take valium before he gets on a plane. Should these guys not have joined up? Are they **** soliders because they suffer from PTSD? Should Lizzie take her medals back because their experience effected them?

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »
    I have treated lads who have been to war and had some very soul destroying experiences, however they where still awarded medals for their courage. I know one ex-para who has to take valium before he gets on a plane. Should these guys not have joined up? Are they **** soliders because they suffer from PTSD? Should Lizzie take her medals back because their experience effected them?

if they suffered from PTSD because their sergeant clouted them then yes, they would be sh*t soldiers and should not have signed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

300,000 is about 6 or 7 years wages. Considering he's unemployable now for the rest of his life it's actually not that much. It's very possible to die from getting punched in the head, so not unlikely that he has long term suffering from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I dont want to generalise here but alot of the older garda seem to be money mad and greedy....the amount of recently retired garda who have left the force and pushed their way into jobs driving buses taxis etc is unreal. At a time when 450k+ people are unemployed its sicking to see a garda retire on a friday and manage to get shoe horned into another job the following monday. If they want to earn money keep working,if the want to retire then take their lump sum and pension and retire. Leave the few jobs out there to the people who need them!

if they suffered from PTSD because their sergeant clouted them then yes, they would be sh*t soldiers and should not have signed up

No they did their job as it appears this cop did. We know very little about an 11 year case here. What type of box was it? Did it appear like he was going to get a hammering, did he fear for his safety?,

Over 11 years he would have seen a lot of professionals who know about PTSD, someone would have copped it if he was taking the piss. I respect anyone whos job brings them into contact with violence. I even experience it in my own job with certain groups of patients, and I certainly do not think any less of anyone who develops a clinical condition as a result of it.

Yes to be honest I have often laughted when I heard about someone on my team "bottling it" or being anxious about coming back into work after an assault. Macho **** coming out about me being made of stronger stuff. Then I realise how sh!tty and disgusting my thinking is and give myself a good bollocking and try to show some respect for the person.

bonzos wrote: »
    I dont want to generalise here but alot of the older garda seem to be money mad and greedy....the amount of recently retired garda who have left the force and pushed their way into jobs driving buses taxis etc is unreal. At a time when 450k+ people are unemployed its sicking to see a garda retire on a friday and manage to get shoe horned into another job the following monday. If they want to earn money keep working,if the want to retire then take their lump sum and pension and retire. Leave the few jobs out there to the people who need them!

Why should they stay on in a job, which will reduce their pension if the stay working. We are lossing very experienced staff in loads of areas like this. Why should the continue to work so that they lose money when they retire.

Once the leave they have as much right to any job they are qualified to do, as the next man applying for the post. I don't just believe this for cops I agree with it for anyone who had to leave work to protect their pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I do feel sorry for the man and I have no doubt about his ptsd diagnosis. Im fully aware that different incidents may trigger ptsd in some people and not in others. Saying that he wasnt cut out to be a gaurd. Is the man who was assaulted by a gaurd and broke his arm suing?

Odysseus wrote: »

Over 11 years he would have seen a lot of professionals who know about PTSD, someone would have copped it if he was taking the piss

Over 11 years he would have seen a lot of medical professionals picked by legal professionals all of whom know a lot about playing the game and getting the right results in court. Cos if there's one thing I've learned about gardai its that their legal representation is top notch and they have no problems dragging a case on for years to get the right result.

the guy got one punch in the head off a single guy in a police station full of coppers. If he can't handle that then he had no business being in that profession. It's like a butcher demanding compensation because he realised that he can't stand the sight of blood

while i feel this guy is a chancer and a conman, and as my granny used to say "he'll have no luck out of it", the thing that annoys me most is how as a country we love to award failure at every level.

this is yet another example of how we reward people who just aren't up to the job they've been employed for, and how we the taxpayer ends up having to subsidize their incompetence.

if you want to be a failure go take up skydiving and save us the expense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

300,000 is about 6 or 7 years wages. Considering he's unemployable now for the rest of his life it's actually not that much. It's very possible to die from getting punched in the head, so not unlikely that he has long term suffering from it.

So punching someone in the head should be attempted murder?

I once got whacked by a football in the head, I mean WHACKED! Lost vision for a few minutes, headaches for 3 days, didn't go around seeking compensation nor did I quit playing football.

He's a chancer who was well coached by a solicitor. What did he expect joining the Gardaí anyway? Picking flowers?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I work with a woman who has sued the employer on two separate occasions, as has another of her family members who also works there.
    The first words out of her mouth whenever something goes against her is "I'll sue the ar$e off them/him/her", even though she usually has absolutely no case. Shame some people carry on like this with such brass neck - the reality is if we all acted in a similar manner the compensation awards, law and the way business is done would have to be changed. Incidentally she is probably the worst worker there, and ironically takes the absolute pi$$.

Although I think the case of this garda is slightly different in that the man lost his career and the causative injury he suffered was malicious and intended. It would be interesting to see the details of his previous awards.

And finally, I never did understand how Martin Cullens advisor, Monica Leech , got 1.9 million considering she didnt even suffer any physical injury. As she brazenly said on Matt Cooper, the award would allow her "to walk another mile". Indeed.

Motorist wrote: »
    I work with a woman who has sued the employer on two separate occasions, as has another of her family members who also works there.
    The first words out of her mouth whenever something goes against her is "I'll sue the ar$e off them/him/her", even though she usually has absolutely no case. Shame some people carry on like this with such brass neck - the reality is if we all acted in a similar manner the compensation awards, law and the way business is done would have to be changed. Incidentally she is probably the worst worker there, and ironically takes the absolute pi$$.

Although I think the case of this garda is slightly different in that the man lost his career and the causative injury he suffered was malicious and intended. It would be interesting to see the details of his previous awards.

And finally, I never did understand how Martin Cullens advisor, Monica Leech , got 1.9 million considering she didnt even suffer any physical injury. As she brazenly said on Matt Cooper after the award would allow her "to walk another mile". Indeed.

the name (appropriately emboldened) is a giveaway.
    LEECH = PARASITE

Definition= a person who receives support, advantage, or the like, from another or others without giving any useful or proper return, as one who lives on the hospitality of others.

Over 11 years he would have seen a lot of medical professionals picked by legal professionals all of whom know a lot about playing the game and getting the right results in court. Cos if there's one thing I've learned about gardai its that their legal representation is top notch and they have no problems dragging a case on for years to get the right result.

the guy got one punch in the head off a single guy in a police station full of coppers. If he can't handle that then he had no business being in that profession. It's like a butcher demanding compensation because he realised that he can't stand the sight of blood

I have not seen enough info on this tread to give me a full picture. Part of his loss of standing in the community is down to people in his community taking the same attitude as people that he is a waster imo. It is harder to get people to come forward for tx for PTSD as it is joked about and the seen as a sign of weakness. Real men don't need tx BS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Why isn't this 300,000 being paid for by the guy who did the punching?

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Why isn't this 300,000 being paid for by the guy who did the punching?

If he gave up all of his social welfare payments, it would take him well over a 100 years. In any case, it's still the State that is paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Sure the ex cop is living it up he must have got good pay outs on the other 2 cases too.

Amazing to see this sort of money been given for that, would understand if a knife, syringe or gun shot or something like that had been inflicted.

I've been hit more then 1 box in my time and the rest and have never and even if looked for it would I get any money. Ireland seems to have copied the US with all this I'll sue you crap...

• Advertisement

Ive been injured a few times including at work through no fault of my own. If I'd suffered lasting injuries and had medical bills, physiotherapy, etc, I'd look for compensation. Any of my injuries never lasted more than a few days though and I'd have no inclination to invent lasting distress like many malingering patients who will lie to doctors exaggerating their injuries, etc. Anything for a quick buck.

A friend of mine's brother has sued Dublin City Council 5 times. He's a very accident prone fellow who seems to have the misfortune of suffering from frequent falls, etc.

Although as I said, sometimes cases are very genuine. I have in mind that of a two-year old girl who had the misfortune of entering a toy shop. A bike fell near her which caused severe emotional distress. She was (I presume her family took the case) awarded €10,000 plus costs. http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/girl-awarded-10000-for-trauma-suffered-when-bike-fell-near-her-488904.html

People should realise this next time they are complaining about retailer rip-off prices, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Sure the artical says he had PTS, Thats not exactly a walk in the park to live with or get over. But he was a guard and they are trained to cope with their work environment ( id assume) I dont understand how he can be compensated for a box to the head, surely getting into physical altercations would be considered a high probability.

Its not as if he was working in tesco and got a box in the head.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Sure the artical says he had PTS, Thats not exactly a walk in the park to live with or get over. But he was a guard and they are trained to cope with their work environment ( id assume) I dont understand how he can be compensated for a box to the head, surely getting into physical altercations would be considered a high probability.

Its not as if he was working in tesco and got a box in the head.

I kinda see what you're saying but I think you over estimate garda training. They're just regular people doing a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

If he had to leave his position with the force due to picking up injuries whilst on duty, then surely he is entitled to a full pension, right?

How much was he awarded in his last two court claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 garstoney

I have no problem understanding why a court would order a large payout to a genuine sufferer of PTSD.

I do have a major problem, however, when a court makes an order to pay one member of society, who no doubt has taken early retirement on poor health grounds and, as such, receives approximately two thirds of his salary and would have substantial pension rights, but then the same court fails to recognise the same PTSD in someone else and awards a far, far lesser amount for the same injury and same prognosis for the sufferer.

PTSD is a serious and debilitating condition and ought to yield a high compensation award, but for ALL sufferers, not just the old boy network.

It appears that some are more equal than others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement