Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda awarded third compensation award, latest for €300,000

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Sure the ex cop is living it up he must have got good pay outs on the other 2 cases too.

Do you know this as a matter of fact or are you just making wild assumptions?

Most people who receive large compensation payouts would much rather give up the money and have not suffered any injury.

Yes, there are scammers and they are scum who are effectively putting their greedy hands in our pockets but in this ex-Garda's case, we just aren't well enough informed to really know one way or the other whether his PTSD is genuine or not.

garstoney wrote: »
    I have no problem understanding why a court would order a large payout to a genuine sufferer of PTSD.

I do have a major problem, however, when a court makes an order to pay one member of society, who no doubt has taken early retirement on poor health grounds and, as such, receives approximately two thirds of his salary and would have substantial pension rights, but then the same court fails to recognise the same PTSD in someone else and awards a far, far lesser amount for the same injury and same prognosis for the sufferer.

PTSD is a serious and debilitating condition and ought to yield a high compensation award, but for ALL sufferers, not just the old boy network.

It appears that some are more equal than others.

I agree with you there but I'm not aware of the case you're referring to. Any chance of a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Is it not a risk you take on board when you join the Gardai? There's no room for shrinking violets in the police force, the man should have reacted to the attack forcefully and issued a beatdown, LAPD style.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

I got bitten by an ant today. Can I sue the person who's garden it was in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Odysseus wrote: »
    I have treated lads who have been to war and had some very soul destroying experiences, however they where still awarded medals for their courage. I know one ex-para who has to take valium before he gets on a plane. Should these guys not have joined up? Are they **** soliders because they suffer from PTSD? Should Lizzie take her medals back because their experience effected them?

The difference here is that they went to war and saw stuff like dead children and their friends being blown up.

This guy got punched by a skanger. Once. And all he got is a black eye. Which healed. But he's claiming PTSD.

Honestly I think it was a guy who hated his job and saw a nice comfy way out of it. He's probably sunning himself in spain before he comes back to a nice cushty job that his mates got him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

I can only hope it was a good old hard box he got.

Fcuking pussy it is no wonder no one respects the cops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Colmustard wrote: »
    3 claims he sounds like a compo hound, I know a few. None of them ever deserve them.

Oh Christ - Won't be long before the rest of the Gardaí swap the overtime swindling for the multiple compo career - no hope for us now.

- At least if they're busy filling out forms and making things up they'll have less time to be harassing the taxpayer and handing out motoring fines while they avoid actual criminals, the new weekly occurrence of randomly knocking people down, breaking into houses and locking people in their own bathrooms, breaking into old peoples homes and robbing them - just open a newspaper next week for the next instalment of cringeworthy Garda stories :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Umaro wrote: »
    Well he was assaulted twice before in the course of duty, and each time he returned to his job.

I highly doubt he just wandered around every day waiting for a criminal to attack him so he could potentially have a big payday.

Its easy to slate him from behind the comfort of your keyboard, I wonder how many people here would keep going back to a job where people physically attacked you regularly and the general public's reaction was to call you a "fcking chancer" and a "compo hound" for requesting the compensation you're fully entitled to claim.

FFS...I've been in the security industry for 20+ years...in that time I've been stabbed, stuck with needles, spat on by HIV+ junkies & assaulted while leaving my workplace & not a single € in compo.

I go back to my job every day because I need to earn a living...this Gárda should man the fúck up & grow a pair IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Line up gents

I'll take a punch off any of you for 300,000

It will hurt but it will be worth it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Line up gents

I'll take a punch off any of you for 300,000

It will hurt but it will be worth it

Will you take a punch of a silverback for a little more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The unfairness of the compensation system stinks - if a member of the public intervened to help a Garda being assaulted and got the shyte kicked out of them they would not get a tiny fraction of the award a garda would get ( if they got a penny at all ) - where is the difference ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Was he punched by Mike Tyson?

Looking at your username, I would put you amongst the prime suspects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

lost the career he fought so hard to get into

What a joke, what fighting did he do? Isn't it just a case of sitting an aptitude test, interview and a medical. Sounds no different to a Mcdonalds or Tesco Job
    Motorist wrote: »
    I kinda see what you're saying but I think you over estimate garda training. They're just regular people doing a job.

A bunch of useless muppets most of them, One of the traffic corps was looking at my tachograph one day and asked why I had written on the back of it. I had to explain to the thick sh1t what happens when you drive two different trucks in one day. How he could not have known a basic fact of the job surprised me, I know a lot of them are thickos but this took the piss.

It's no wonder people have no respect for them with crap like this, as someone else pointed out they are up their with those eejits wearing ear muffs during gun salutes. I can't say I have ever seen any other country of armed forces do that.

What a joke, what fighting did he do? Isn't it just a case of sitting an aptitude test, interview and a medical. Sounds no different to a Mcdonalds or Tesco Job

A bunch of useless muppets most of them, One of the traffic corps was looking at my tachograph one day and asked why I had written on the back of it. I had to explain to the thick sh1t what happens when you drive two different trucks in one day. How he could not have known a basic fact of the job surprised me, I know a lot of them are thickos but this took the piss.

It's no wonder people have no respect for them with crap like this, as someone else pointed out they are up their with those eejits wearing ear muffs during gun salutes. I can't say I have ever seen any other country of armed forces do that.

So has this thread officially descended into a Garda bashing thread now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Explain this to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I would happily take multiple punches from Mike Tyson if it meant I was gonna get 300k handed to me.

Such a bizarre country, no wonder Europe thinks so little of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

What did the guy who too thick to become a Garda do?
    became a truck driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Why is it that every thread about the Guards has to descend in to a bashing thread. I would guess most people on here would have maybe dealt with a maximum of a handful of guards in their life, yet they generalise that all Guards are lazy, clueless and unqualified to do their jobs? Nice generalisations there, considering they are an organisation of 14,000 people working there at a time.

• Advertisement

About eight or nine years ago i was working early on a weekend morning when a Garda car parked up outside my job and four cops jumped from the car and asked me what i was doing at that early hour. When i explained i was starting work they all went back to their car only to find they had managed to lock themselves out of it.:D

First born farmers sons and daughters and as thick as cow sh1t on a warm day sums up the majority of the Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Show Time wrote: »

First born farmers sons and daughters and as thick as cow sh1t on a warm day sums up the majority of the Garda.

So if we had the Garda Siochana made up of those brain box townies we' d be sound??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

hate to say it but if it was a mr.justice on the bench i doubt it would be such a ridiculous outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1 firemankevo

Hey has anyone got his barrister number,
    my wife had 3 operations on a broken noise
    and has emotional issues and lots more when a prisoner
    escaped wow she must be up for at least a million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

About eight or nine years ago i was working early on a weekend morning when a Garda car parked up outside my job and four cops jumped from the car and asked me what i was doing at that early hour. When i explained i was starting work they all went back to their car only to find they had managed to lock themselves out of it.:D

children like you are to be cherished

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

thebaz wrote: »
    whats your point ?

that the judges are the bad boys - its a feckin cosy cartel of the countrys elite

Absolutely right Dude...spot on the money !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Being a little unfair to warm cow sh1te there pal ....

children like you are to be cherished
    Are you gonna add something or just try insult me??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I think the problem is
    €300k is not much to a Garda
    €300k is a fortune to everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    What did the guy who too thick to become a Garda do?
    became a truck driver.

No, sat the thing for the fun as the rest of my workmates were doing it in 1996. Was offered a place but didn't accept it as I was in college and had bigger ambitions than that. Helped out in the family business a few years ago which is when this happened. You're trying to imply I'm thick when it was me telling the cop how to do his job. The fact that I had to tell a cop whose specific area of expertise is road traffic legislation and its enforcement how to do his job backups up my point and actually makes you look as thick if not thicker than the cop in question.

Anything else to say "officer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

0066ad wrote: »

That is class very funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭whiteonblu

Robbo wrote: »
    I presume your opinions were just as well founded and reasoned before you set out upon your rigorous programme of getting whooped upside the head?

I fail to see how the (entirely separate from the general personal injuries system) awards made in the Garda Compensation Scheme are going to open the floodgates. Unless you predict a mass joining of the Gardai, followed by a tsunami of them beating the lard out of each other, followed by profit...

I also note that this is the same Judge Irvine who was scathing of claimants under the scheme who were claiming PTSD from being spat at by junkies.
    wouldn't you think the gardai who claim to be investigators could investigate the likelyhood/possibility of PTSD from being spat at by junkies

MagicSean wrote: »
    Are you suggesting people should be able to predict if they will get PTSD?
    i know someone who has ptsd because of the way way he was abused by a cop who then lied his way out of it. Lied to the 'complaints board' as it was then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

whiteonblu wrote: »
    i know someone who has ptsd because of the way way he was abused by a cop who then lied his way out of it. Lied to the 'complaints board' as it was then

I'm happy for you. I know a guy that talks to his cat like it's a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Let me see now....

Guarda who is paid for his job. Job has a certain element of risk. You know punches and bruses the occasional IRA man. gets 300,0000

V's

School teacher of young kids walking home after a night out with family. Gets attacked pushed to the ground, hands around her neck and sexually assaulted gets 75k and 6 months..

It really is a guards life.....

Let me see now....

Guarda who is paid for his job. Job has a certain element of risk. You know punches and bruses the occasional IRA man. gets 300,0000

V's

School teacher of young kids walking home after a night out with family. Gets attacked pushed to the ground, hands around her neck and sexually assaulted gets 75k and 6 months..

It really is a guards life.....

75k was the award from the criminal court. She can still take a civil case against him for the rest of his money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

He was punched in the face got a black eye and that incident is supposed to have ruined his career he fought so hard for? Seriously? Was he left paraplegic or something? That's fucking ridiculous so it is.

MagicSean wrote: »
    I'm happy for you. I know a guy that talks to his cat like it's a person.
    :rolleyes:all you can do is make fun when you try to defend your buddies. What do you know about PTSD anyway?
    talks to his cat like it's a person.
    is he a whinging cop suffering PTSD

whiteonblu wrote: »
    :rolleyes:all you can do is make fun when you try to defend your buddies. What do you know about PTSD anyway?is he a whinging cop suffering PTSD

Unless the cop who gave your friend ptsd is the same one who got the award it's not in the slightest bit relevant is it?

Advertisement