Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Forwarding

Options
  • 27-07-2012 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I am trying to set up a minecraft server but I cant seem to get it to work. I have set up port forwarding under the NAT tab. But it is still failing to connect.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Change the firewall to low.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

KoolKid wrote: »
    Change the firewall to low.

Had that done already. Still not connecting. Could it be anything with windows firewall?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have you tried it with the firewall turned off. The firewall on your computer would not affect this .

Have you tried it with the firewall turned off. The firewall on your computer would not affect this .

Yup tried that too.

And port range and internal IP is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Hello,
    I am trying to set up a minecraft server but I cant seem to get it to work. I have set up port forwarding under the NAT tab. But it is still failing to connect.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi thisisadamh,

We don't directly support things like NAT type or port forwarding as these things can be affected by many factors beyond our control. Since you have done the port forwarding side of things and it's not working correctly, the next thing to look at is the firewall as suggested. I've had a look through the Zyxel interface and can't see many other options that may help you here. One other thing you might try is calling into broadband technical support (1890 260 260) and ask them to try upgrade the modem firmware remotely. Not sure if it will help but can't do any harm to have the latest version installed. Apologies we can't be of more help on this one.

Regards

James

The firmware should not make any difference.
    It's really just making sure the port ranges are correct .
    Whether it's UDP TCP etc.
    Then enable the service and select the IP you are forwarding to from the drop down list .
    From experience the modems firewall has to be set to low.

Hi thisisadamh,

We don't directly support things like NAT type or port forwarding as these things can be affected by many factors beyond our control. Since you have done the port forwarding side of things and it's not working correctly, the next thing to look at is the firewall as suggested. I've had a look through the Zyxel interface and can't see many other options that may help you here. One other thing you might try is calling into broadband technical support (1890 260 260) and ask them to try upgrade the modem firmware remotely. Not sure if it will help but can't do any harm to have the latest version installed. Apologies we can't be of more help on this one.

Regards

James

Thanks James

The firmware should not make any difference.
    It's really just making sure the port ranges are correct .
    Whether it's UDP TCP etc.
    Then enable the service and select the IP you are forwarding to from the drop down list .
    From experience the modems firewall has to be set to low.

I am testing the connection through a computer on the same local network. Would that make a difference? I tested it with the local IP 192.168.1.3 and it works.
    But when I test it with the WAN IP it does not connect, would the reason it is not connecting is because the two computers are on the same LAN?

Thanks

• Advertisement

On eircon you can not go out and back in on the same IP.
    Check it from an External IP.

On eircon you can not go out and back in on the same IP.
    Check it from an External IP.

That explains it :)
    Thanks

Can I ask why Eircom don't support port forwarding?
    This is a very basic need with CCTV and other remote access becoming the norm .
    Come to think of it, Eircom even ship their routers with custom services pre programmed ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Can I ask why Eircom don't support port forwarding?
    This is a very basic need with CCTV and other remote access becoming the norm .
    Come to think of it, Eircom even ship their routers with custom services pre programmed ..

Hi KoolKid

Thanks for your query. At the moment Broadband Support can only support the actual broadband connection on the modem / or they can provide basic standalone broadband support. If you need further help with a private network setup, you should contact a network administrator.

That said Support will be able to help with most modem and computer settings. For example: if unable to view webpages, it may be due to a proxy setting, anti-virus application or Firewall running. Broadband Support will also help with improving wireless connections or assist with setting up the broadband LAN connection.

This may change in the future as broadband and fibre grow with IPTV, VOIP and Online Gaming. Generally Broadband Support are only licensed to help with a standalone broadband connection setup. Other manufacturers /vendors have their own direct support for their setup (for e.g: games). On occasions members of Broadband Support may be able to advise with port or NAT settings on the router. It can depend on the technician and some may be keen gamers themselves.

As advised on our Forum below, in order to play most online games, the only thing that is required is to lower the firewall on the router.

The is outlined further on the following link on eircom's Forum with further advice on Port forwarding :

Games Console Setup & Port Forwarding

Let me know if this has helped or if I can advise you further.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Advertisement