Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to raise money?

Options
  • 27-07-2012 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

First World problem here :D

I am undergoing a surgery which is costing about 10k in a couple of months.

I have saved a few grand but not even half way there yet. I tried to take out a personal loan with Comm Bank but as I am not a permanent resident or Australian citizen I am not eligible.

So I was hoping you guys could use your powerful minds to conjure up ideas on how I can source a loan from elsewhere or maybe run a fundraiser or something.

I work in finance and the workplace can be a good place to run something like this.....

Any thoughts or experiences are gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

What kind of problem are you suffering from? Is it something you need to get done right now or can it wait? Depending on the severity and specifics of what is wrong there may be a number of different options not least of which may be going back to Ireland to have it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Is your travel insurance an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

TBH I don't think asking other people to pay for your medical issues is fair.

If it is serious and urgent then Reciprocal Agreement should cover it.

If it isn't then get health insurance, wait the 6 month waiting period and get it done then?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

I had health insurance but it ran out.

I didnt want to claim this off it either way though as the injury is pre existing. I am not good at lying !!! lol

Its just gotten worse now. I went to a surgeon and he said Ive got early arthritis and to get something done immediately or I wont be able to walk soon.

Its okay though. I have just set a date in October for this elective surgery. Going to become a saving machine. Just handed in my notice for my lease on my apt as have to downgrade to save more cash :o

Hopefully by January / February this will all be in the past, and the 10k will have been well worth it.

Sorry for starting stupid thread.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Have you done your tax return yet? I done mine and picked up just under $8K was nice surprise only expecting the usual $3K-$4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

flying home and getting it done would be cheaper if that was an option...

walk into A & E in pain maybe that would be considered an emergency and the surgery would be done then!!

Just gusses chancing the arm lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

flying home and getting it done would be cheaper if that was an option...

walk into A & E in pain maybe that would be considered an emergency and the surgery would be done then!!

Just gusses chancing the arm lol

Healthcare in Ireland is a disgrace, they'd only barely operate if it was a life and death thing, otherwards you'd end up on a waiting list in the hope you'd be dead before the operation came along.

Advertisement