Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Were you bullied in school?

• 27-07-2012 3:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

I was chatting to an old school friend of mine recently and he was bullied pretty badly when we were young. It still affects him to this day - he's not very confident and refuses point blank to go to places where we may bump into the old heads from school.

I've definitely encountered it myself and wish that it would be taken more seriously - I've said this on other forums but I really believe it's one of the most damaging things that can happen to a person.

Did you ever experience bullying and if so, are you over it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yeah a fair bit, because I was small.. Thankfully, I look at most of the guys who were arses and their lives are **** now. Karma and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I was both bullied and bully if I'm honest. As a lot of people were I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Where To wrote: »
    I was both bullied and bully if I'm honest. As a lot of people were I'd imagine.

Same here, was both the victim and the perpetrator both in school and the workplace. It's part of human nature unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Yes I was. In first year in secondary school. But looking back, i deserved it as I was a cocky little git. Was good for my development, made me humble. thank you bullies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Yes bullied very badly and can still affect me a little I think. It only really stopped when I finally fought back once. Beat the crap out of one of the bigger bullies. Not sure how. I was a weed!

Bit same as previous poster. I see them all miserable in dead end jobs and lives now.

I Remember chatting to one of them one night in the pub. Guy was a complete prick in school. All he kept saying that night was how miserable he was and even though he thought I was an arse hole for working in school, maybe I had the right idea. I never said a word, but thought, what a complete looser.

Heard he was killed in a work accident a few weeks later. I guess he's not miserable anymore. He certainly made a lot of people miserable when we were all growing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Kurz wrote: »
    Same here, was both the victim and the perpetrator both in school and the workplace. It's part of human nature unfortunately.

Yes, it's very unfortunate. I don't think I'd excuse it by saying it's just human nature though, that removes accountability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

No I wasn't. That seems to make me the odd one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Kimia wrote: »
    Yes, it's very unfortunate. I don't think I'd excuse it by saying it's just human nature though, that removes accountability.

I wasn't trying to excuse it as such, it's a fact of life and will be around as long as humans are. What happens in courts is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

I have to admit I did participate in mild banter/slagging towards a girl that was bullied. It wasn't just me, it was everyone and being that age everyone just went along with it. It wasn't anything major but i'm sure she took it all in anyway. She did bring it on herself bigtime by the things she did/said and tbh i'm still shocked by some of the things. However, one day, she was physically attacked in a viscous way and i stepped in to stop it. I couldn't believe someone would take it to that level. Its one thing for slagging, we are all victim to that at some stage, but to actually attack someone. The image will haunt me forever! :(

I think its a horrible thing for a kid to go through, but its just part of life, unfortunately. I wouldnt hold any grudges against any of the people who bullied me, as they didnt really know any better. What I dont have any time for is adult bullies or people who consciously bully vulnerable people in work environments or social situations, they are the lowest form of pond life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I wasn't. I got on with almost everyone in my year. Never really bullied anyone either, although I used to slag my mates a fair bit as it was intended without malice, but recently one guy told me he didn't like it at all (not just me) and I felt terrible.

I caught a bully out in a shop I used to work in. Was putting stuff back on the shelves and heard one (real dirtbag) kid and his mate tell another kid (much smaller) that he 'heard him saying things' about him and if he did it again he would kill him, obviously the little chap never said a thing. The poor little lad was almost in tears, I walked over shouted "Hey! What the hell do you think you are doing? I would be seriously careful about issuing death threats to kids half your size, now get out and leave him alone or I'm calling the guards." The bully looked shocked and pissed off, about 20 mins later the kid and his dad came in with a guard and asked to see the CCTV and I told the guard what you just read above. Absolutely detest that sort of crap, was clear as day the bully just wanted to feel like a hard-man in front of his pal, and picked a harmless little dude to terrify. I was glad I just snapped and reacted because I'm normally a bit of whimp when it comes to kicking people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I wasn't. I got on with almost everyone in my year. Never really bullied anyone either, although I used to slag my mates a fair bit as it was intended without malice, but recently one guy told me he didn't like it at all (not just me) and I felt terrible.

thats actually really sad. :( not that i'm trying to make you feel bad... but just puts it into perspective about how we can say things as a joke but the recipient takes it in a different way and it stays with them for years.

oh and fair play for intervening... how old were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Revenge? Aye. I'd gan back to school. But first I'd take out the labs and then I'd type into the attack computer 'Mr Cragg, chemistry teacher'. Blow 'im to bits.
    And then I'd go looking for Tom Donaldson. I'd be hovering just down the road from his house, there. And he'd see us, but I'd duck down behind the trees, and he thinks he's safe, right? And he's just about to put the key in his front door, and I come up from behind the hedge, 'Hello, you bastard.' He panics, right? And he goes in the house, so I get the 30-millimetre canon and I take out the fish pond, coy carp in there couple of rounds each, right? And then I just tilt the helicopter over to one side and the machine-gun bullets is chewing up the drive, right? He comes out. 'Oh no! Not me Triumph Stag! I've just had it resprayed!' I cut it right in half, right? And then he goes, 'Ahhh!' He runs up on to the garage roof. I say, 'Right. This is for you, Tom.' He goes, 'No, no!' He's begging us, he's begging us man, 'No, please don't!' And then I fly off to Cornwall and I just smash in the sea in a big ball of flames.

Revenge? Aye. I'd gan back to school. But first I'd take out the labs and then I'd type into the attack computer 'Mr Cragg, chemistry teacher'. Blow 'im to bits.
    And then I'd go looking for Tom Donaldson. I'd be hovering just down the road from his house, there. And he'd see us, but I'd duck down behind the trees, and he thinks he's safe, right? And he's just about to put the key in his front door, and I come up from behind the hedge, 'Hello, you bastard.' He panics, right? And he goes in the house, so I get the 30-millimetre canon and I take out the fish pond, coy carp in there couple of rounds each, right? And then I just tilt the helicopter over to one side and the machine-gun bullets is chewing up the drive, right? He comes out. 'Oh no! Not me Triumph Stag! I've just had it resprayed!' I cut it right in half, right? And then he goes, 'Ahhh!' He runs up on to the garage roof. I say, 'Right. This is for you, Tom.' He goes, 'No, no!' He's begging us, he's begging us man, 'No, please don't!' And then I fly off to Cornwall and I just smash in the sea in a big ball of flames.

Wut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Yes. Effects me badly til this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

WumBuster wrote: »
    Wut?

Tom Donaldson.

Just a mate......:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

No, thank God.

I was shy back in school but thankfully was never a target as I tended to have friends in most cliques.

To be honest, I don't really remember anyone in my school being bullied, although that was a good while ago. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Tom Donaldson.

Just a mate......:pac:

back of the net.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Ah micheal...always good for the craic...lets go and steal a traffic cone.

Advertisement