Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gaming pc, need advice

Options
  • 27-07-2012 3:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey all,
    as my old pc is running out of steam and can no longer keep up with the new standard in gaming, I decided to buy a new one. I am open to building it, although it would be a first for me. My budget is around €500, possibly more.

I had this in mind http://www.custompc.ie/intel-iseries-prestige---1155-series-new-model-54501-p.asp I was not sure if it is sufficient. The most taxing game I intend to run is probably DayZ.
    So ideally I am looking for computer than can run DayZ at about 60~+ fps (I will be tweaking for more) within the €500 price range. If I need to spend more so be it, thanks in advance for any help :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Thats got some horrible components in it.

Can you reuse anything from your current machine? Hard Drives, Monitor ect?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Thats a pretty awful pc for gaming. Look through similar threads. Most people buy there pc from hardware versand. You pick what components you want. . Plenty of examples for around the 500-600 mark which people built. Hardware versand will build the pc for you

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€36.44
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€33.55
    MSI R6850-PMD1GD5, 1024MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€122.99
    ASRock B75 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€70.98
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€111.64
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€33.98
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's|€60.67
    Windows 7 Professional|€54.95
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€544.19

A wee bit over budget but much better components, 8GB RAM and a copy of Windows 7. Probability is you can reuse your existing HDD at the very least to bring it in on budget.

Watch this ref building:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cathalhopper

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€36.44
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€33.55
    MSI R6850-PMD1GD5, 1024MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€122.99
    ASRock B75 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€70.98
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€111.64
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€33.98
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's|€60.67
    Windows 7 Professional|€54.95
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€544.19

A wee bit over budget but much better components, 8GB RAM and a copy of Windows 7. Probability is you can reuse your existing HDD at the very least to bring it in on budget.

Watch this ref building:

Ah that is grand. I will keep saving then, €40 extra is fine. How long do you think this will keep up to the standard that games are being made at? How long will the cpu and gpu be able to keep up? oh and last question, will I be able to upgrade with that motherboard? I am not much of a computer tech as you may have guessed.

Go raibh maith agat as ucht an cabhair. :D

I use a 6870 and at 1080p I can everything on Ultra settings although games like BF3 are dropping down to 25-30FPS. The 6850 is a slightly slower version but if you look at someone like Eboggles he has his running at almost the same speed mine does.

With PCs you can keep spending a fiver here a tenner there until you're at €1000. Personally what I'd do is go with a Z75 mainboard for about a tenner more. That should keep you going quite a while. The i3 CPU, although it runs 4 threads, is actually a dual core CPU. Its a great gaming CPU for the money but isn't going to cut the mustard for very long (2-3 years). I'd normally say drop the GPU down and go for an i5 but at this budget you are right at the bottom end of the GPUs I would recommend.

One option is to go with a celeron processor and drop in an i5 quad core in a year or two when people start to sell them second hand. You can still do that if you go with an i3 but the celerons are €100 cheaper. I'm hoping to get around 5 years out of my i5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

Also, stay clear of custompc.ie , they take advantage of being the only custom pc builders in ireland with hideous markups on the components. look around at other suppliers in england / around europe. they'll charge €15 postage to Ireland, but it'll save you big time in terms of the overall price.

When are you buying. There are some very interesting noises coming from AMD and their new trinity APUs (CPU and GPU) combined that might make me think again about the i3. Still a great CPU if you are buying sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

What about this for 190 euro?

http://www.ebuyer.com/389623-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7873-1066
    - AMD A4 3300 2.5GHz
    - 2GB RAM
    - 320GB HDD
    - DVD Writer
    - AMD Radeon HD6410D
    -GIGABYTE GA-A55M-DS2 Mobo
    - 300 watt psu

AMD cpu overclocks fairly well and on board HD6410 is not bad for light gaming.

Review here of the chip/gpu.

http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/5005?cPage=6&all=False&sort=0&page=2&slug=holiday-budget-system-buyers-guide

If it's not enough won't cost you much to upgrade.

2gb extra for ram for 13 euro bringing it to 4gb.

http://www.ebuyer.com/281245-pny-2gb-ddr3-1066mhz-premium-ram-memory-d2gbn08m1333h-sb

Ati 7750 ( best card that doesn't take external power )

http://www.ebuyer.com/344782-gigabyte-hd-7750-1gb-gddr5-vga-dvi-hdmi-pci-e-graphics-card-gv-r775oc-1gi

Not a bad PC for 300 euro.

AMD A4 3300
    4GB Ram

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Ebuyer don't deliver to Ireland :(.

When are you buying. There are some very interesting noises coming from AMD and their new trinity APUs (CPU and GPU) combined that might make me think again about the i3. Still a great CPU if you are buying sooner rather than later.

I will probably be buying the pc in about 3-4 months so still a fair while away, but I could postpone it if new parts are coming out and the older ones will be cheaper to buy/ newer better at the same price.

• Advertisement

3 - 4 months is an eternity in PC terms - give us a shout when you're about 2 weeks out from purchasing. Happy to discuss any component with you in the mean time of course - its just there will be loads of changes by Q4.

3 - 4 months is an eternity in PC terms - give us a shout when you're about 2 weeks out from purchasing. Happy to discuss any component with you in the mean time of course - its just there will be loads of changes by Q4.

Ah ok I'll remember to give you a shout around 2 weeks before purchasing, oh but about these trinity apu's that amd is coming out with, are they worth waiting for?

Advertisement