Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this racist?

• 27-07-2012 4:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

Friend is renting his house.

Houses to the left and right are rented to people originally from Nigeria.

Prospective tenant (also from Nigeria) is happy because "it will be nice to live next door to black people".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's 5.02am. I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Sure everything's racist these days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Pkiernan wrote: »

Prospective tenant (also from Nigeria) is happy because "it will be nice to live next door to black people".

was he white Nigerian or black Nigerian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

No its not racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

It's 5.02am. I don't care.

It's like OP woke you up to ask you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Not racist and hardly worthy of a thread or even wondering whether it is racist or not in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Omg, he called them "black people".

Hell yeah it's racist.

If I moved into a black neighbourhood but with white neighbours, Id be slammed for saying "it will be nice to live next to white people".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

If I moved into a black neighbourhood but with white neighbours, Id be slammed for saying "it will be nice to live next to white people".

Racist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

I completely agree with the above, it's not that he used the term black people it's the sentiment he expressed. And yes, if it was the other way around it would definitely be seen as racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Spot on, welcome to 21st century Europe :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Only by PC idiots. If you are in a minority it is nice to have other people of the same minority around you because you don't feel so much like the odd one out. There is nothing racist about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Not racist and hardly worthy of a thread or even wondering whether it is racist or not in the first place.

Oh, sorry dude, can you please go ahead and delete my thread then.

Nump-T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

No. Racisim ususally expresses the belief that your race is superior (or another race is inferior).

Of course if he thinks blacks are better than whatever race he's living next to currently, yes, he's a racist and should be flogged.

Nump-T

If only I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

It depends if he was of the opinion that living beside white people would not be nice.
    A nicely open-ended passive-aggressive statement really.
    Implying that living beside white people is something other than nice, without actually saying that he finds white people prejudiced and intolerant. Masterful language IMO.

Racist, Probably.
    Offensive, Definitely not.

Meant to cause offense....who knows ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

There goes the neighborhood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Whats that supposed to mean ?

Are you suggesting that because there are Black people in the neighborhood that there is something wrong with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Nump-T

If only I could.

O that's a bit mean! The other poster was right ; if a White person expressed a preference to living next door to whites being preferable there would be cries of outrage & accusations of being racist. It's such an overused & misused accusation these days that it has become totally devalued.

No wonder the world is in chaos!

Are you suggesting that because there are Black people in the neighborhood that there is something wrong with it?

Yup because crime rate will rocket and there will be empty KFC buckets strewn about the streets.

Or not :P

You need to turn your sarcasm detector up a bit is all :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I wonder where you're going with this. Is it just curiosity or are you looking for confirmation whether black people can be racist too?
    If it's the latter then I can assure you racism is not confined to Caucasian whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

Yup because crime rate will rocket and there will be empty KFC buckets strewn about the streets.

Or not :P

You need to turn your sarcasm detector up a bit is all :)
    plus do not forget that nissan cars will be all around:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Well yeah... haven't you seen what happens when blacks move in?

It's like a fúcking crime spree!

All whites do is just attack people and inject heroin into themselves, meanwhile they shop for the latest nike airmax and trackies.

This was sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

It was definitely a stupid thing to say, not sure if it even was supposed to be racist in any way.
    I'd have understood a bit had the tenant express his happiness about living next door to other fellow country men, but with his comment he reduced it simply to skin colour. It was a stupid thing to say, but I think most people can understand it to a certain extend: Black people are regarded as suspicious and "dole robbers" by many people in richer European countries. If I was met with attitudes like that a lot I'd be more than happy to live next to others who can understand/ might experience something similar.

O that's a bit mean! The other poster was right ; if a White person expressed a preference to living next door to whites being preferable there would be cries of outrage & accusations of being racist. It's such an overused & misused accusation these days that it has become totally devalued.

No wonder the world is in chaos!

(he called me a name first... which is technically against the charter)

As for your post, I don't agree although it's context based. It's likely you've never been in a situation where you're the minority. I travelled extensively in North and West Africa and call me racist if you like but it was damn pleasant whenever I met a fellow white person. It was so nice, if just for a little while to not be the only odd one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Is it cus I is black?

No. That's a line from an ice t song. But now that you mention it, its a well known fact that property prices drop for houses in estates with a large number of blacks in it.

I can't understand all this bull**** pc crap. Some one says something about blacks and their racist. A black says something about whites and nobody pays attention. Daly Thompson is a perfect example. If some Irish athlete had said a similar remark about a black person there would be uproar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Racist, I dont know, but as a Thread it smells very badly of Troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Nope. It was just a comment about the area their were moving into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Hey, where the white women at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Shame on you all. :( Not one person has gone into an angry 'non-racist' rant about Nigerians. :confused:

If he'd said that it would be nice to live next to people from home there'd be no thread.

It's natural that people flock together like birds of a feather especially when they don't feel so welcome. There was Kilburn once upon a time. Eventually they fan out and integrate though if someone 'worse' comes along. Otherwise they stay ghetto-ised.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jurahnimoh

Shouldn't it be regarded as racist if people are also referred to as white people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Of course its not racist. He is black.
    Only white people can be racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Almaviva wrote: »
    Only white people can be racist.

And newly embittered. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

viztopia wrote: »
    Daly Thompson is a perfect example. If some Irish athlete had said a similar remark about a black person there would be uproar.

Daley Thompson said nothing about white people. Why do people keep saying he did? It's getting tiresome at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I was watching the high chaparral last night. It was the episode with the buffalo soldiers they were singing eeny-meeny-miney-moe we finally caught Geronimo. When I was in school we learned that but it wasn't Geronimo we were catching. I suppose if you said what we used to say back then today you could end up in jail.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Daly Thompson is a perfect example. If some Irish athlete had said a similar remark about a black person there would be uproar.

Daley Thompson said nothing about white people. Why do people keep saying he did? It's getting tiresome at this stage.

Who said he did? You should feel a little.less tiresome now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I don't want black neighbours.

I'm assuming the guy in the OP would have no problem with this statement. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Perhaps, but not a big deal. He probably just meant it will nice to be able to yap about Nigeria over the garden fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Nigerians, a great bunch of lads

• Advertisement

Who said he did? You should feel a little.less tiresome now.

But... you said he did or rather inferred it strongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

:eek: Not allowing people to put up a thread about Racism.

*points finger

Racist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

biko wrote: »
    Perhaps, but not a big deal. He probably just meant it will nice to be able to yap about Nigeria over the garden fence.
    +1, the OP would have to give his definition of racism first. Most people view it as a negative term. I just view it as being prejudiced, and do not think being prejudiced is automatically/necessarily a bad thing, it is often a sensible reasonable thing. Like prejudging that a big angry snarling dog might be dangerous, due to past experience & knowledge.

If my father heard an older couple were moving in next door he might be happy to have somebody to relate to more, and you might describe him as ageist. Prejudging that he might get on better with a 70 year old couple than a gang of students.

Or if my sister worked in an office full of 20 men and heard a woman was coming in you could call her sexist if she was happy to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

.... I honestly think there are more people who look for racism than actual racists in this world. :rolleyes:

and the mental thing is, its white people LOOKING for whats racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I was watching the high chaparral last night. It was the episode with the buffalo soldiers they were singing eeny-meeny-miney-moe we finally caught Geronimo. When I was in school we learned that but it wasn't Geronimo we were catching. I suppose if you said what we used to say back then today you could end up in jail.

I remember when they changed it to "catch a tigger" by his toe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Nope.

My family is dutch. If i found a nice neighbourhood with a few dutch families in it, i'd have it down as a plus.
    Nothing wrong with settling into an area you're more comfortable with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'll be including this in my next edition of "Believable Stories"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If you moved to Nigeria and found out that the people renting next door to you were Irish I'd be you'd be furious though, wouldn't you?

"I want to be special and different! I don't want any other Paddy crackers here ruining my specialness!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Eat da poopoo!

:|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Black people are so racist - someone should educate them that the correct term is 'African American'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement