Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth coming back to Ireland right now ?

Options
  • 27-07-2012 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Im currently living in Thailand, and I just got married with a Thai lady and myself and my wife are both thinking of moving back to Ireland soon to live and work.

However Im really in 2 minds about the move, especially in the current economic climate.I have been keeping in touch with home by reading the Irish papers on-line everyday and it just seems to be such a depressing situation.

Is it really all that bad,how are people finding it looking for work ? Are jobs really that scarce ? You would think after 4-5 years of recession that there would be some signs of things improving.

The main reason we are thinking of going back is that my wife's wages are just peanuts here, she makes about 1 euro an hour as a hairdresser and obviously she could make much more if she were able to find a job in Ireland.

Currently I'm earning a half decent wage teaching English here and others have advised me that I would be taking a huge risk to go home at this time.

There are pros and cons for staying here and going home but its not just the job situation, also need to consider the high cost of living in Ireland and the hassle of finding decent affordable housing as well, these are major negatives.

If you were in my shoes,would you stay put or give it a try ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

bazzare wrote: »

The main reason we are thinking of going back is that my wife's wages are just peanuts here, she makes about 1 euro an hour as a hairdresser and obviously she could make much more if she were able to find a job in Ireland.

The purchasing power of someone in Thailand as a hairdresser is probably not that much different in Ireland once you are living locally. But, if the reason is to also send money back to her family in Thailand, then it would be worth a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Stay put in Thailand for the moment. Trust me, it is in much better shape than Ireland or indeed most of Europe at this point in time.
    I came back to Ireland 10 years ago also from Thailand, along with Thai wife. Back then it was a good time to make the move, boom was in full swing etc. It would be madness to do the same move now however.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 6 madmicky

Im only back from 4 years in oz, I cant wait to get out of here again as I am a carpenter and theres no work. thinking of going to canada but going do it right this time and get a perament visa. should have done that for oz but just followed the crowd and didnt research it from the start want to avoid the obvious similar pitfalls in canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

I am a youngish student, just back from a year in Taiwan and a month in China. The quality of life here is far higher than the equivalents in either country, no matter how it is spun. The only question may be a comparison of the health services between Taiwan and Ireland, Taiwan wins out there, but apart from that, Ireland is far more advanced culturally and socially.

I can't answer for Thailand, you can fill in the blanks there.

Again, as far as your own cv goes, only you can answer. I had to reject offers this past year, I guess it depends on your own experiences and qualifications.

TL; DR: ask yourself

P.S. How easy is it for her to work legally here? (I am not up to speed on the regulations, but it may be something that deserves considerations, cross all i's and dot all t's etc)

Advertisement