Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Middle Age

• 27-07-2012 8:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

What age range do you consider middle age?

For me it would be 30-60. Maybe 30-55 considering most people don't live until 90.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

From the 5th to the 15th centuries.

Or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It's just hit me....I'm middle aged :(

Thanks OP, way to go to ruin a nice Friday morning :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

40 to 60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

kfallon wrote: »
    It's just hit me....I'm middle aged :(

Thanks OP, way to go to ruin a nice Friday morning :mad:

Suck it up old man !!!

Middle aged would be 40 - 55 no maybe 35 - 55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

40 to 65, in your thirtys is too young to be considered middle aged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

40 to 60 imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

40 to 65, in your thirtys is too young to be considered middle aged.

You're in your 30s aren't you? :o

duchalla wrote: »
    40 to 60.

I'm with him on this one :D
    Suck it up old man !!!

Pervert!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Holocene

For me it would be 30-60. Maybe 30-55 considering most people don't live until 90.

Aristotle famously said something along the lines of a story or play should have a beginning, a middle and an end.

These categories have more to do with things like plot and narrative rhythm than with locating the mathematical dead-centre of a text.

So it is with middle age. It's feeling that you're in the middle part of your life, a fair bit after youth and young adulthood are over, but with still a good bit to go before you begin to really unwind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Kid would be up to about 25
    Young would be up to about 35.
    45 to 65 I'd say would be middle aged

I dunno what comes between 35 and 45, servere denial about the aging process?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

30's is not middle age

40-50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You're in your 30s aren't you? :o

Your in your 20s arent you? but to be a good sport i'll answer your question, i am gonna be 40 this year so believe me when i tell you that in your thirtys is still young and you will learn that some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Middle aged is 60 to 80.
    Are yis all teenagers here or wha?

syndeyfife wrote: »
    30's is not middle age

40-50

Good girl yourself! :D

Tbh I'm probably more fit now in my 30's then I was at any point in my 20's....please don't say it's cos I had a mid life crisis :(
    I'll probably be buying a Harley next :rolleyes: :(

Your in your 20s arent you? but to be a good sport i'll answer your question, i am gonna be 40 this year so believe me when i tell you that in your thirtys is still young and you will learn that some day.

Jaysus you don't look a day over 31 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

31.5 - 39

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

40-55

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

30's is not middle age

40-50

How is it not middle age?

When you are in your 30's you've lived over one third of your life.

5 is young, 15 is young, 25 is still young, but 35 is not young, it's middle aged. The first third of your life is young, 2nd third middle age and final third is old aged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

30's is not middle age

40-50

5 is young, 15 is young, 25 is still young, but 35 is not young, it's middle aged. The first third of your life is young, 2nd third middle age and final third is old aged.

Middle age is 40 and no younger.

30's is just too young

Prob about 3/5's of mine tbh :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Im 43 - nowhere near middle aged! I plan to live forever! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Dang, I'll be middle-aged in a year and a half so!

Are you middle-aged, OP?

I refer you to this post:
    Holocene wrote: »
    Aristotle famously said something along the lines of a story or play should have a beginning, a middle and an end.

These categories have more to do with things like plot and narrative rhythm than with locating the mathematical dead-centre of a text.

So it is with middle age. It's feeling that you're in the middle part of your life, a fair bit after youth and young adulthood are over, but with still a good bit to go before you begin to really unwind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

40-45 is what I consider for middle age mostly because most people would generally start taking things a bit easier then.
    You could go up to 50.

But by the time the body is 50 unless you're in very good health, you're getting on and won't be as young.

Midlife crisis on the other hand... I have one every birthday and I'm only in the early 20s so it's all happy days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Kid would be up to about 25
    Young would be up to about 35.
    45 to 65 I'd say would be middle aged

I dunno what comes between 35 and 45, servere denial about the aging process?

+1.

Mind you, I'm 42.

Sea Filly wrote: »

Dang, I'll be middle-aged in a year and a half so!

Are you middle-aged, OP?

Not yet, I'm 27. I'd regard myself as middle age in another few years, 30 years is a long time, I don't think you can really be considered young when in your thirties, early middle age.

Would you consider a 5 or 6 year old dog young? I wouldn't.

Not yet, I'm 27. I'd regard myself as middle age in another few years, 30 years is a long time, I don't think you can really be considered young when in your thirties, early middle age.

Would you consider a 5 or 6 year old dog young? I wouldn't.

I'll consider myself middle-aged once my reproducing window comes to an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Irish life expectancy is roughly about 80 years, so 30-50 would be middle aged or more precisely 35-45, as thats when youll probably care most about how old your getting, at 35 your in total denial that your not young anymore and at 45 you just stop giving a sh1t and accept your human,

currently at my tender young age i think ill have no problem accepting it, but i expect that to change when i get there;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

30s is definitely not middle age. Mid 40s would be the start of it. And then it depends on the individual. I'm 25 and am producing more testosterone than ever. My hormones are exploding all over the place. I still haven't reached my peak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Average age for the males in my family is 100+ so middle age for me is between 45 - 55

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

30's is not middle age

40-50

Maths fail!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mental attitude is a big part of it too. I knew people at 21 who were going on 60, joyless grey bastards waiting patiently for the day when they could wear slippers in an age appropriate way.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

30s is definitely not middle age. Mid 40s would be the start of it. And then it depends on the individual. I'm 25 and am producing more testosterone than ever. My hormones are exploding all over the place. I still haven't reached my peak.

It was my understanding that men's peak testosterone levels occurred at about 19 years of age. What do you mean by "peak"?

antodeco wrote: »
    30's is not middle age

40-50

Maths fail!

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Chronologically it's late 30s to 40s. Culturally it's 50s onwards. People in their 30s and 40s do not do stereotypical middle-aged things. And the person who said 30s knows it.

Kids should realise their views and perspective (i.e. none) on age aren't taken notice of.

• Advertisement

Onixx wrote: »
    Chronologically it's late 30s to 40s. Culturally it's 50s onwards. People in their 30s and 40s do not do stereotypical middle-aged things. And the person who said 30s knows it.

Kids should realise their views and perspective (i.e. none) on age aren't taken notice of.

What are stereotypical middle aged things? And when does middle age culturally change to old age?

I really don't think you'll find many who would describe a 45 year old as a young person. " young people these days, they don't respect their elders". I doubt they are referring to 45 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

From 40 to 59. I've never thought of 35 as being middle aged (I'm currently 38, for full disclosure, but I felt like this when I was 20 too). The whole 'turning 40' thing is for me the turning point, probably because of every tv show or movie making a big deal about it. Before that is your 'prime', I suppose. After that, all the bits start falling off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

35-55. Fairly small window.

Sure, people are living longer and some would argue middle age goes up to 60's these days, but they're not living longer, healthier.
    Statiscally middle age is 60's now, but health wise, people are still as decrepit at 60 today as they were 50 years ago.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    35-55. Fairly small window.

Sure, people are living longer and some would argue middle age goes up to 60's these days, but they're not living longer, healthier.
    Statiscally middle age is 60's now, but health wise, people are still as decrepit at 60 today as they were 50 years ago.

Average life expectancy is 80 years old.

http://www.indexmundi.com/ireland/life_expectancy_at_birth.html

Old age really starts at about 55. Unless you think youth lasts 50 years of 80 which makes no sense. It's like a 5 foot 7 man claiming he is tall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Maths fail!

It has more to do with behaviour and where you are in life than age.

LOGIC FAIL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

20 years from now.

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Maths fail!

It has more to do with behaviour and where you are in life than age.

LOGIC FAIL!

What behaviour is associated with each age group, if an 80 year old goes out every night getting pissed and having one stands would that mean he is actually young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Middle age = [(MyAge) + 5y] --> [(MyAge) + 25y]

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Isn't the average age around 70/80? Middle age is 35-55. 55 is being generous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

In a society where people are living much longer, its ridiculous to call anyone in their 30's middle aged. People are expected to work longer now. In 20/30 years it may not be unheard of for people to be working into their early 70's.
    So Id say middle age would be 40 - to 59. Old age from there on in, but even saying someone is in old age at 60's isnt right. :confused:

Agricola wrote: »
    In a society where people are living much longer, its ridiculous to call anyone in their 30's middle aged. People are expected to work longer now. In 20/30 years it may not be unheard of for people to be working into their early 70's.
    So Id say middle age would be 40 - to 59. Old age from there on in, but even saying someone is in old age at 60's isnt right. :confused:

Average life expentancy in Ireland is 80 years old, if you are in your 60's you are quite clearly old aged. Would you not consider a 12 year old dog to be in it's old age, I certainly would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Middle age is the mid years of your adult life. From a male point of view, say you live to 80. You're a kid until you're 25, and then a man of some sort for 55 years.

I'd say you're a young man until 35 and an old man from 70-80. That gives you 35 years of manhood. You could call all of this middle age, but it's more accurate to look at the middle of this period.

The exact middle of this is 50-55. Expand it a bit and you get 45-60. Which is what everyone means when they say, a middle aged man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Bruce7 wrote: »
    Middle age is the mid years of your adult life. From a male point of view, say you live to 80. You're a kid until you're 25, and then a man of some sort for 55 years.

I'd say you're a young man until 35 and an old man from 70-80. That gives you 35 years of manhood. You could call all of this middle age, but it's more accurate to look at the middle of this period.

The exact middle of this is 50-55. Expand it a bit and you get 45-60. Which is what everyone means when they say, a middle aged man.
    Ah nice your a man after 21. 23 anyway. I am 25 and a half now and doubt I'll mature much more. I get on great with adults. At family parties I have pints with my Uncles while everyone under 20 sort of sticks together.

Ah nice your a man after 21. 23 anyway. I am 25 and a half now and doubt I'll mature much more. I get on great with adults. At family parties I have pints with my Uncles while everyone under 20 sort of sticks together.

Not exactly sure how mature you are after that tbh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Do they give you a gold star for every shandy you give them ...... ;);)

• Advertisement
Advertisement