Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Middle Age

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

kfallon wrote: »
    Ah nice your a man after 21. 23 anyway. I am 25 and a half now and doubt I'll mature much more. I get on great with adults. At family parties I have pints with my Uncles while everyone under 20 sort of sticks together.

Not exactly sure how mature you are after that tbh :D
    That was a little joke yahoo feckin feckety Becker :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

That was a little joke yahoo feckin feckety Becker :p

Sure it was...... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When you are in your 30's you've lived over one third of your life.

5 is young, 15 is young, 25 is still young, but 35 is not young, it's middle aged. The first third of your life is young, 2nd third middle age and final third is old aged.
    Many people would break it up into more than equal thirds. Many would not class a 5 & 25 year old in the same bracket. There could be infancy, childhood, early teens, late teens, young adult.
    Bruce7 wrote: »
    Middle age is the mid years of your adult life.
    +1

If somebody thinks 31 is middle aged, I would guess they are either quite young, or have a different idea of what middle aged is, like that exact equal thirds idea.
    According to Collins Dictionary, this is "... usually considered to occur approximately between the ages of 40 and 60". The current edition of the Oxford English Dictionary gives a similar definition but with a shorter span: "The period of life between young adulthood and old age, now usually regarded as between about forty-five and sixty."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

40-45 is what I consider for middle age mostly because most people would generally start taking things a bit easier then.
    You could go up to 50.

But by the time the body is 50 unless you're in very good health, you're getting on and won't be as young.

Midlife crisis on the other hand... I have one every birthday and I'm only in the early 20s so it's all happy days :pac:

I'm 50 and am going on a 165k spin on my bike tomorrow over the wicklow mountains where does that leave me :D:D with a 34 year old that is training for an iron man

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

antodeco wrote: »
    syndeyfife wrote: »
    30's is not middle age

40-50

How is it not middle age?

When you are in your 30's you've lived over one third of your life.

Maths fail!

How so?

1/3 is not 50% :)

I'm just being pedantic by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Middle age can be any age as you never know when your going to die.

Ie. You could get killed at 24 so middle age for you would be 12 lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

49 to 50 no grey areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

kfallon wrote: »
    It's just hit me....I'm middle aged :(

Thanks OP, way to go to ruin a nice Friday morning :mad:
    Young-uns and their youth. Disgrace Joe.

I think middle aged should be the mid point of your life, so it's around 25 if you've been having fun. 60 is just ridiculous, who'd even want to be 120 years old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

I'm *ahem* early 30's and could never consider myself middle aged until I reach 45, then it will be so.

Anyone I see of my own age I still mentally refer to as that 'girl' as opposed to 'woman', they become 'ladies' to me above 45+ and men I consider 'fellas' until they are obviously old enough to command the title of 'man', such as with my dad and his generation ie; 'that poor man/gentleman's car is broken down'.

Athough I'm *ahem* early 30's I have to carry ID with me everywhere I go,
    I can't get my cigs anywhere unless they know me and though I rarely drink, the odd can of beer is out of the question without my driving licence.
    I get so nervous approaching a counter. Some days I look 17...
    It's both a curse and a blessing but no one could refer to me as mid-aged right now that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Age shouldn't affect you. It's just like the size of your shoes - they don't determine how you live your life! You're either marvellous or you're boring, regardless of your age.
    Morrissey

40 soon myself, Mozza couldn't have put it any better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

I'm 50 and am going on a 165k spin on my bike tomorrow over the wicklow mountains where does that leave me :D:D with a 34 year old that is training for an iron man

CARPENTER. WICKLOW MOUNTAINS. :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You should consider yourself middle aged when the wrinkles first start appearing, for example around the eyes and the mouth/forehead.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Carpenter wrote: »
    I'm 50 and am going on a 165k spin on my bike tomorrow over the wicklow mountains where does that leave me :D:D

A M.A.M.I.L I would have thought.

Middle age begins when hair starts growing out of places you never thought it would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Mid 30s : middle aged?! :eek: not so much imho :pac:
    Middle aged to me would be mid 40s to about 60 methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Defining middle age is like defining middle class - pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

50-60
    30s are still young
    40s are like in between but more so middle aged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

mike65 wrote: »
    Defining middle age is like defining middle class - pointless.

But you know it when you see it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If all your arguments and worldviews are based on "ehhhh, oh right! That's probably right. Jayzuz I'm cool I am", but you know you're right then you're young. If all your arguments and worldviews are both passionately held but fluid, you're a young adult. If all your arguments and worldviews make sense to you and anything outside that is to be mistrusted you're middle aged. If you can't remember your arguments and worldviews but you know you're right and you can feel wetness runnig down your leg then you're old.

IMHO rule one of not losing touch? Never be the only argument in your head or the room you're in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

Wibbs wrote: »
    If all your arguments and worldviews are based on "ehhhh, oh right! That's probably right. Jayzuz I'm cool I am", but you know you're right then you're young. If all your arguments and worldviews are both passionately held but fluid, you're a young adult. If all your arguments and worldviews make sense to you and anything outside that is to be mistrusted you're middle aged. If you can't remember your arguments and worldviews but you know you're right and you can feel wetness runnig down your leg then you're old.

IMHO rule one of not losing touch? Never be the only argument in your head or the room you're in.

You can sometimes encounter 25-year-olds that already fall into that category and, sure enough, it's not incorrect to consider them middle-aged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

It sucks, I hate it, you lose your gumption, you know you want something different but you are afraid of change. You become the worlds greatest hyprocondriac, everytime you get indigestion you think heart attack, a headache is a brain heamorhage and any other ache is cancer. They say men think about sex every 30 seconds after 40 that thought becomes death.

Otherwise its alright from the solace of the womb to the looming solace of the tomb.

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

21-67

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

There's no way I'm middle aged I listen to Dizzee Rascal for deck sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

probably 40 to late 50s!

being in your 30s is not middle age!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Do any of your threads not make people feel like ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The average male life expectancy in Ireland is 76. So I would say 25-50. Saying that though, the life expectancy in Ireland will rise to about 85 in about 30-40 years so I would go for about 27-55.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

tan11ie wrote: »

You actually consider a 45 year old young.

Would you consider an 8 year old dog young?

I'm curious what are people's criteria for middle age, obviously not everyone is using purely time as the criteria?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You actually consider a 45 year old young.
    Depends entirely on the 45 year old. This isn't some blather about you're as old as you feel BTW, just a reflection on how different people age in the body and mind at different rates. Though rare because of the effort involved(genes help) I know a few 40 odd year olds in better physical condition both health and looks wise than the majority of 20 year olds. If I was to "score" the ladies figures I've seen nekkid over the years, of the top three one was 42. Unreal body.

Mentally this goes double. The amount of guys I knew at school who only a few years later were 20 going on 40 in mindset. One guy went that way at 17. Turned into a "middle aged man" overnight. I've found women tend to avoid that for longer, or I've encountered few enough "grannies" at 25 by comparison.
    Would you consider an 8 year old dog young?
    Again depends entirely on the dog. An 8 year old terrier is pretty young, an 8 year old Irish wolfhound is lucky to be still up and about. That said dogs are a bad comparison/example as their lifespans and length of maturation varies far more than in people.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I think the issue here is the perception of age. Its all relative.

People in their 70's are going to see people in their 50's as relatively young.

People in their early teens, like the OP, are going to see people people over 25 as middle aged, and people in their 30's as decrepit.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Giselle wrote: »
    I think the issue here is the perception of age. Its all relative.

People in their 70's are going to see people in their 50's as relatively young.

People in their early teens, like the OP, are going to see people people over 25 as middle aged, and people in their 30's as decrepit.

:)

I'd hope when I'm in my 70's I remain unbiased and not think someone in their fifties is young, absolutely or relatively.

• Advertisement
Advertisement