Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any legitimate reasons for begging?

• 27-07-2012 8:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

If I lose my home and all my money tomorrow, and I have no friends in the world who can offer me a couch, is there somewhere I can go to get food and shelter at no cost? Does the state provide for such people without question? Or is it the case that there's only so much free food, and only so much free shelter, and basically that there's no room at the inn for some people?

Genuine question as I really don't know.

So to sum up, are beggars...

A: People who are provided for by the state, but are trying to feed a habit
    B: Cheeky chappies looking to make a bit of extra pocket money on top of what they're provided for by the state
    C: Genuinely helpless people who the state have failed
    D: All of the above.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If your partner has already spent all the money on drink or drugs .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

besides the free money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If you end up getting your hole!

"Please, please, please can we have sex tonight, please?"

Rinse and repeat til you mentally break her down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'll have an "E" please, Carol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Lack of money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'll have an "E" please, Carol.

Carol would have got a shot of the good news, that's for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You forgot E: people shipped solely in to beg for their foreign masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Some are genuine some aren't.
    Tgeres so many non genuine though that I just give to Simon and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Oscar Wilde on beggars
    Man should not be ready to show that he can live like a badly fed animal

There is more begging done by trackey cladded gentlemen than actual homeless people round Dublin which brings another Wilde quote to mind.
    They must also be extraordinarily stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

There's a group of 4 or 5 beggars in Waterford city here. Seen them begging in different spots. Sometimes they have children with them, sometimes prams, sometimes on their own. On more than one occasion i seen them meet in a group deciding where to beg next and pooling their money together.

• Advertisement

You never see them holding "will work for food" banners in this country.:pac:

Freedom of expression according to the courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Ireland the new India

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Answer: Wasters who deserve no support.

No family who will take them in.
    No friends who will take them in.
    Despite dole, etc still can't pay rent.
    Can still afford Nike though!

You lose your house and home, and have nothing and nobody to your name, not a single person who would want to take you in.......Jesus christ, doesn't say much for you does it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Guy asked me to top-up his ESB card with a few quid the other day as I left the Lighthouse Cinema there in Smithfield.

I said no but was tempted as felt bad for the guy as he sounded genuine.

As for everything else, I'm not sure.

I see all the free food places around and the like but maybe some can't use them and have heard horror stories about the hostels so can well understand people being reluctant to use them.

A lot of beggers around Dublin are scammers though. Guy asked me one day for money for food as I walked on Moore St and I said come over here and I'll pay for you in the buffet (one of them is just €5) but he said he would rather the money and when I made it clear that was all I was willing to do, he got rather unpleasant.

Legitimate reasons? Sure but they are few and far between from what I can see and even then, giving them money won't really help them all that much anyway.

Just remembered actually: the other night a guy stopped me on Wexford St and asked me for some change to help him out and I said: "What you want the money for" and he said: "Get a few cans" - I nearly dropped in shock as in all the years I have been asked for money, nobody ever said it was for Beer - I gave him €2 :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Are there any legitimate reasons for begging?
    I would say genuine starvation qualifies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Biggins wrote: »
    But do they not have somewhere to go to get food? Do they need to beg? This is my question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

But do they not have somewhere to go to get food? Do they need to beg? This is my question.
    Obviously I can't speak for Ireland, but I ended up talking to a homeless bloke a few months back. He seemed really nice, polite, and genuine. Just someone who'd had extraordinarily bad luck.

Anyway, I was amazed when he said that they get no help from the state. Even soup kitchens/homeless centres aren't subsidised at all, it's all down to charitable individuals. To have a bed for the night, they need to get (i.e. beg) for a few pounds, about £5 I think.

If you've got no fixed address, as far as I know, you can't claim the dole? So once you're on the street, it can be very hard to get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

What's the situation with accommodation for homeless people? Some people tell me that theres ample short term beds in Dublin. When I get asked for money for a hostel – is this genuine? I'd give food, but worry that money is only going on drink/drugs.

I personally know of no place that gives away free meals three times a day in every town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Oscar Wilde on beggars
    Man should not be ready to show that he can live like a badly fed animal

Not exactly a man to be taking lessons in morality from

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Not exactly a man to be taking lessons in morality from

I think you could use that line in relation to any human ever if so pleased.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But even then you can get free food by dumpster diving for sell by date stuff or asking nicely at the fresh fruit markets at the end of the day

20c will get you tesco value noodles or aldi beans

But even then you can get free food by dumpster diving for sell by date stuff or asking nicely at the fresh fruit markets at the end of the day

I have never personally seen food being rummaged for - although I have no doubts it happens - and/or it would be a full time occupation to go Dumpster Diving if one had to try and feed one's family three times a day, seven days a week!
    20c will get you tesco value noodles or aldi beans
    Indeed - but you'd have to beg for that 20c if you hadn't got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I think you could use that line in relation to any human ever if so pleased.

Except:

Baby Jesus
    Santa
    Mother Teresa
    Mr Miyagi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

/me puts on PC hat....Legit reason - to save all the pennies to pay for their flight back home!

If you are in C bracket and starving, get down to your CWO(Community Welfare Officer) and you will get an Urgent Needs payment to feed you.(not a Communion garment :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

brummytom wrote: »
    Anyway, I was amazed when he said that they get no help from the state. Even soup kitchens/homeless centres aren't subsidised at all, it's all down to charitable individuals. To have a bed for the night, they need to get (i.e. beg) for a few pounds, about £5 I think.

If you've got no fixed address, as far as I know, you can't claim the dole? So once you're on the street, it can be very hard to get back.

It's the same set-up in Dublin in that they've to pay a similar amount for the emergency accommodation with the Simon Community.
    Presumably they've come to a conclusion from trial and error that there are problems with providing the bed for free.
    It does get government funding to supplement donations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I personally know of no place that gives away free meals three times a day in every town.
    True, but you don't need 3 meals a day to not be suffering from starvation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Iveagh Trust run hostels in Dublin

They will let you use their address and help you apply

So you get 180 or whatever a week and you sign maybe 120 of that over to them

In return you get food and shelter, full use of facilities and help from staff

If you're reliable and not a drunk you can get your own room in time

You can drink cans in the hostel but they don't tolerate messing

Lots of staff, strictly run

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have never personally seen food being rummaged for - although I have no doubts it happens - and/or it would be a full time occupation to go Dumpster Diving if one had to try and feed one's family three times a day, seven days a week!
    no it wouldn't be a full time since you show up when the trading day is over.

check out Freeganism

take the kids to the beach, looking for mussels and periwinkles and dulse and other stuff that will keep ya alive.
    Indeed - but you'd have to beg for that 20c if you hadn't got it.
    or find it on the street

either way it shouldn't take too long to beg for 20c

Food has never been as cheap if you drop your standards right down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

99% of homeless get the dole!!
    Yes you need an address but your local priest/ church will give you that or you can use a hostels address.
    So if you are down on your luck and ain't completely dependant on drugs and other expensive pastimes , you will not starve ..

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Except:

Baby Jesus
    Santa
    Mother Teresa
    Mr Miyagi

Look hard enough in the Bible and you will find him advocating death.
    Mother Teresa got the Hitch treatment.
    I'll give you Santa and Mr Miyagi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Speak to st Vincent de paul would be your first port of call I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭starfish90

hawkelady wrote: »
    99% of homeless get the dole!!
    Yes you need an address but your local priest/ church will give you that or you can use a hostels address.
    So if you are down on your luck and ain't completely dependant on drugs and other expensive pastimes , you will not starve ..

Ha I never knew that-I may start telling them that so!It's hard to know who is actually being genuine too-a friend of mine offered a homeless person a sandwich and a drink but they didn't want it-they just wanted money..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Bumped into a guy on Oliver Plunkett Street Cork the other night and my friend gave him €2, He said he was badly strung out for Heroin and was he shaking, I'v never seen him before but he was from Dublin judging by his accent.

Simon have a house a few doors down from me and to be honest they do look after the house, They had a few unsavoury characters there over the years but nothing as bad as some of the degenerates that live in other houses here.

I was surprised to see a young Romanian girl begging at about half 1 am on the South Mall recently, Surprised because she was only 14/15 and on her own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Answer: Wasters who deserve no support.

You lose your house and home, and have nothing and nobody to your name, not a single person who would want to take you in.......Jesus christ, doesn't say much for you does it?

Maybe not, but you're post says plenty about you... none of it good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

It is possible to get breakfast,dinner and sandwichs all free in Dublin.
    There are drop in facilities who provide for homeless .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

I love that there's loads of advice here on where to get cheap or free food.

Very helpful for all the genuinely starving AH lurkers :D

Advertisement