Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humiliation on Boards

• 27-07-2012 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have been a long-time lurker on this site. I enjoy it, and love hearing the variety of views on different topics. It is a great website, all told.

However, one thing troubles me, and that is the level of humiliation to which some people are exposed on here.

It seems that anyone who appears on Irish television, radio or other media, however briefly and for whatever reason, is fair game is liable to be be commented upon here and criticized for their appearance, weight, mannerisms etc.

Ireland is a very small country and this is proportionally a very popular website. I hate reading ugly or mean comments about people when I know there is a very good chance that they, their partners, family or friends might be reading too.

I just wondered how others feel about this. Has any attempt ever been made to curtail it? Or do you see it as an unavoidable by-product of our relative freedom of discourse on the internet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Just having the bants....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Holocene wrote: »
    I have been a long-time lurker on this site. I enjoy it, and love hearing the variety of views on different topics. It is a great website, all told.

However, one thing troubles me, and that is the level of humiliation to which some people are exposed on here.

It seems that anyone who appears on Irish television, radio or other media, however briefly and for whatever reason, is fair game is liable to be be commented upon here and criticized for their appearance, weight, mannerisms etc.

Ireland is a very small country and this is proportionally a very popular website. I hate reading ugly or mean comments about people when I know there is a very good chance that they, their partners, family or friends might be reading too.

I just wondered how others feel about this. Has any attempt ever been made to curtail it? Or do you see it as an unavoidable by-product of our relative freedom of discourse on the internet?

I humiliated myself on here by exposing myself....in my defence it was quite cold and the 'Monsignor' was in an unhelpful mood :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

That's part and parcel of the job if you work in media it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

They can just dismiss it as jealousy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Jumped-up losers hiding behind a curtain of web anonymity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

If you're in the public eye then you must expect it.

Criticism is part of life in the public eye.

Although pure vitriol tends to be frowned upon and discouraged I find on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

who do you know op?!?!
    is it jedward?
    ryan tubridy?
    joe?
    any politician?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I would very rarely have a pop on Boards at anyone in the public eye.

Except for the odd politician & Ray D'Arcy because they deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Sorry samantha

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Reoil wrote: »

A curtain made of webs - sounds a bit impractical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's the unfortunate reality of being able to say what ever you want behind a mask of anonymity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Anyone in the public light is open for a slagging, it doesn't just happen on boards. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

roast wrote: »
    Anyone in the public light is open for a slagging, it doesn't just happen on boards. :pac:

spot on. sure if you think the slagging on here is bad just take one look at those magazines which highlight bad pictures of celebrities and then laugh as if they are perfect themselves. if you are in the public eye, expect to be judged by the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

People who are really cruel or snide are fairly miserable a lot of the time.
    I don't believe in karma but kind of like that, just from and to the individual.
    I never met a happy bitch in my life.

I also think anonymous internet sites will attract a higher ratio of d***heads than would occur naturally in society. Though there is definitely a "culture" of humiliating celebs particularly that seems to be accepted across the media. It's a pity so many d***heads buy into it but there's worse persecution going on in the world. I'm sure most people don't care what some eejits on the internet are saying about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

I will have to out myself here as one of those who does the slagging. I was banned a while ago by Bard from the radio forum for calling Tubridy a fool (very tough on personal abuse there it seems). Its an embrassement that will never leave. Tubridy that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Lollers wrote: »
    I will have to out myself here as one of those who does the slagging. I was banned a while ago by Bard from the radio forum for calling Tubridy a fool (very tough on personal abuse there it seems). Its an embrassement that will never leave. Tubridy that is.
    Like a warm silent fart that follows you around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Kinda like the wizard of Oz? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I would very rarely have a pop on Boards at anyone in the public eye.

Except for the odd politician & Ray D'Arcy because they deserve it.

Surely you mean Ray Foley. Ballbag of the airwaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Lollers wrote: »

Really? Saying someone's a fool doesn't seem too bad. Saying you'd sterilise his kids or that he's got the IQ of a banana or something would be too harsh. Or even all the Michael Jackson jokes; nobody hear knows he was a paedo, so shut up. Or digs at celebs of a sexual nature. Like "I wouldn't ride her if she was..." or "I'd ride her....". Euw. That's someone's Ma/ daughter. And they sound like a crazed rapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Tbh from what i have seen on Boards lately is too many bad trolls(god be with the days of a good troll :rolleyes:) and too many posters who hate themselves, because they dont get enough time out of the house or they have never experienced much life beyond a keyboard. Don't get me wrong there is still a few great posters here but the numbers are getting fewer and fewer, pity really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

It was Jordan who was on telly the other night and confessed when asked to present a prize at the Easter superbike meeting commented that she hates getting up in front of the public and gets very shy when she does.
    Up she jumps starts getting the crowd going, boobs splashing around getting drowned in bubbly and pure lapping it up. You could hardly see the three lads on the podium without Jordan stuck in the picture duckmouthed.
    Down she gets and announces to the camera that it was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

*said username Reoil*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

It was Jordan who was on telly the other night and confessed when asked to present a prize at the Easter superbike meeting commented that she hates getting up in front of the public and gets very shy when she does.
    Up she jumps starts getting the crowd going, boobs splashing around getting drowned in bubbly and pure lapping it up. You could hardly see the three lads on the podium without Jordan stuck in the picture duckmouthed.
    Down she gets and announces to the camera that it was awful.

Maybe she's just good at her job. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Ms.M wrote: »
    Really? Saying someone's a fool doesn't seem too bad. Saying you'd sterilise his kids or that he's got the IQ of a banana or something would be too harsh. Or even all the Michael Jackson jokes; nobody hear knows he was a paedo, so shut up. Or digs at celebs of a sexual nature. Like "I wouldn't ride her if she was..." or "I'd ride her....". Euw. That's someone's Ma/ daughter. And they sound like a crazed rapist.

Yep, I couldn't believe it either I thought it was pretty mild as well, but no, banned. It was only for a few days though, enough time to go and sit in the corner and think about what I'd done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

There was a bit of hassle in the fair city thread recently. People commented on how much overweight ,borderline obese a lot of the cast were.

A few posters mostly female threw a fit about it, a lot of them closed their accounts over what was just a few jokes about a actor/actors in a show.

Some people need to lighten the fcuk up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Ms.M wrote: »
    People who are really cruel or snide are fairly miserable a lot of the time.
    I don't believe in karma but kind of like that, just from and to the individual.
    I never met a happy bitch in my life.

I also think anonymous internet sites will attract a higher ratio of d***heads than would occur naturally in society. Though there is definitely a "culture" of humiliating celebs particularly that seems to be accepted across the media. It's a pity so many d***heads buy into it but there's worse persecution going on in the world. I'm sure most people don't care what some eejits on the internet are saying about them.

But "celebrities" are whores who make money out of commoditising their lives. They can be judged as harshly as they deserve. Now, people who are famous for actually having a talent is a completely different story.
    Lets put it this way: if Kerry Katona wants to make money out of telling the world about her intimate private problems then we are fully entitled to marvel at the size and lack of shape in her arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gigawatt2007

Being a celebrity is by definiton to be in the public eye, if you don't want to be in the Public eye get a normal f'cking job and do a decent days work. Otherwise ignore the criticism/suck it up and take your paycheque.

Michelle Heaton is the epitomy of celebrity bullsh't, what exactly does she do? And she's not even fit. I certainly wouldn't pass her any heed if she jacked it all in to provide for the family by working the deli at Dunnes.

Rant over - sorry mods :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yeah. S'nice being able to call people 'jumped up losers' behind your fancy spider-web curtains of anonymity.

Sweet sweet irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Maybe she's just good at her job. :)

She is but if she dosent like it why not a career in IT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I think Keith had to get naked for Christmas.

You don't get much more exposure than that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

All Irish "celebrities" are going to be ridiculed because Ireland is a very small country. Most of these people in the media think they're from Beverlly Hills not a 30 minute drive away from the nearest bog. The culture of 'celebrity' only exists in the world as an integral part of consumerism and branding that is used globally for multi-million dollar profit, thats the only way it can work. It is also extremely decadent and when it is attempted on a little island with a couple of million people, it looks absolutely ridiculous, hence the ridicule, and the ridicule happens everywhere and not just on the internet.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I sincerely hope that Twink, the oul piss faced wizened bitch has read all my comments about her, I meant every one of them.

Now what was the question again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

I agree with the OP.

Sometimes people have a talent and become famous for using this talent.
    They could be a footballer, a musician or a broadcaster.

Just because they are famous this does NOT mean that it is appropriate to write things in a public forum that would cause offense to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah. S'nice being able to call people 'jumped up losers' behind your fancy spider-web curtains of anonymity.

Sweet sweet irony.
    I thought that was the joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Cienciano wrote: »
    I thought that was the joke?

Could be but I reckon not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

She is but if she dosent like it why not a career in IT.

Because she is as thick as sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Temaz wrote: »
    There was a bit of hassle in the fair city thread recently. People commented on how much overweight ,borderline obese a lot of the cast were.

A few posters mostly female threw a fit about it, a lot of them closed their accounts over what was just a few jokes about a actor/actors in a show.

That niamh bird is mega fat now...and to think when i was in school i used to fancy her :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's because they're generally cack-handed, provincial and highly embarrasing to the Irish people. Either that or we're extreme begrudgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Temaz wrote: »

Okay, we get it. They're fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Confab wrote: »
    It's because they're generally cack-handed, provincial and highly embarrasing to the Irish people. Either that or we're extreme begrudgers.

I begrudge that remark.

In fairness the "talent" knocking around rte have to be paid shedloads cos sky and the Beeb are waiting in the bushes to poach them.. i always wonder how joe duffy hasnt been poached by the big boys because his ham fisted self serving approach to broadcasting is of the highest quality.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

If I was a celebrity I would be more worried about what was posted about me on YouTube and the like than would be posted here.

Boards goes out of it's way to try and moderate slating for slating sake and I think that is all they can (or should) do tbh as that's all the protection they have in the real world also.

I mean, if Ryan Tubridy is walking down the Grafton St and someone follows him and starts abusing him, he could alert a Guard and get the guy to stop pestering him but if they guy just comes up and says: "You're crap, you don't deserve the money you get and the only reason you got that job was because of nepotism" and then walks off, Tubs would be able to do fcuk all and if he did call a Guard for that, it would be comical.

In other words: for every person in this country that wanna shake your hand when your famous and tell you how great you are altogether, there is ten who want to tell you how much of a twat you and just precisely why that is.

Of course there is always the element out there that would approach the guy, just to abuse them in a nasty way, as there are on Boards and those are the only ones that can or should get moderated.

I know one famous person in Ireland they say what most celebrities will about the Country, in that it's not the best place in the world to be famous for the very reason that we (for whatever reason) don't adore celebritydom the way other countries might and that's just the way it is, they better get used to it as I can't see Irish people changing their attitudes in this regard anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gigawatt2007

That niamh bird is mega fat now...and to think when i was in school i used to fancy her :pac:

She's up the damo my friend....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The sort of thing that gets said on boards about people is the same sort of thing that's been said for decades in pubs and sitting-rooms across the country.

It's just that now it's online so more people can see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Seems like there is a baby hippo in her :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Is that what they call it these days?

Back in my day "Damo" was the name for the local drug dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's the humiliation that we come here for. Everyone else is wearing a femskin right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

*off to google Holocene to see what dirt I can dig up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I remember a year or so ago there was a thread knocking some girl for doing something a bit silly for a bit of limelight which featured in an Irish paper. People completely laid into to her and were absolutely horrible. The girl was only about 21. I posted up some comment like, "leave her alone, She's only a young wun and it's highly likely she's reading this thread". Got a PM from her a week or so later thanking me (I know, I'm great!) but I can't imagine how she must've felt reading what was written about her. It would've destroyed me at her age.

I also know of another known person who read some comments about themselves on here and was deeply hurt by what people said. :cool:

I think in a country the size of Ireland, you have to think that the person who's reading what you're writing might well be reading it. Some of the banter, okay, understandable and goes with the territory but some people get very, very personal...almost hateful.

Bizarre stuff. Why do people care so much about Irish celebrities? Some people claim to despise them but they know more about their every movement then their mothers. They must watch them like a hawk constantly. Strange stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Which is exactly what you are doing when you insult others on here.

What is said on boards is the least of what is said in the media. It's part of the fame game. Most people who pursue that lifestyle want people talking about them.
    Plenty of what is said is lighthearted.
    Some of it is spot on and deserved.

If people expressing opinions isn't something a person might like then Saudi Arabia, China, North Korea and other such bastions are out there.

A thicker skin might be required OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Why do people care so much about Irish celebrities?

Why do people care so much about any celebrity!

• Advertisement
Advertisement