Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humiliation on Boards

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

roast wrote: »
    Why do people care so much about any celebrity!

Yep. But I suppose Irish ones will be the ones reading Boards. A more boring topic of conversation I can't imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Bizarre stuff. Why do people care so much about Irish celebrities?
    Irish people are complete children when it comes to celebrities. I was sicked the last time I tried to buy a magazine, I was looking to get focus which I thought was a fairly common magazine and all they had in the two Irish shops in tried was celebrity mags, rows and rows of celebrity mags. I was literally disgusted by it.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Irish people are complete children when it comes to celebrities. I was sicked the last time I tried to buy a magazine, I was looking to get focus which I thought was a fairly common magazine and all they had in the two Irish shops in tried was celebrity mags, rows and rows of celebrity mags. I was literally disgusted by it.

Awww that's cute :o "Mammy, I'm sicked!".

Do you think it's particularly an Irish thing though? I've seen the same elsewhere, just not with Twink but with their own local version...Le Twinky perhaps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Ehhh...it's a tough one, with both sides having valid points.

On one hand, agents of these celebs will include the fact that they give up a certain amount of a right to privacy and receive unabated public scrutiny in negotiating their lucrative contracts. So they earn money based on them receiving abuse.

On the other, a lot of the vitriol is sickening and heartless. It reeks of people who are miserable in their own lives needing to focus on the flaws of celebs to make themselves feel better. I've argued for a while that the net shouldn't be anonymous, we should all be forced to ID ourselves so we're accountable for our comments. That'd stamp out a lot of this. You also have to consider that their families, for example, may read what is said and aren't being paid.

What worries me most is the inability to distinguish who is fair game and who's not. Average Joes shouldn't be personalised and subjected to the same level of hate as celebs, for example. Last week's campaign against yer wan on the Treacy Hotel Facebook page, for example (though the thread was closed here tbf). They don't put themselves out there and earn money on that basis. Nor do they have the platform to change perception, so the damage is a lot more extensive in those cases.

Boards is okay for policing this. It's certainly not the worst. However, for me, the Internet should be policed better to force them to be squeaky clean on the issue. And it will be, over time, as the net becomes more integral to people's every day lives.

Awww that's cute :o "Mammy, I'm sicked!".

Do you think it's particularly an Irish thing though? I've seen the same elsewhere, just not with Twink but with their own local version...Le Twinky perhaps...
    Yes, it's an Irish thing. I usually only buy things like magazines when I'm going to be stuck somewhere or travelling. You go into a shop in the UK and they'll have a selection of everything. For the most part they only seem to have a handful of celeb mags.

What's the point in having 20 or 30 celeb mags? Seeing those shelves full of celeb mags was one of the most annoying things I've seen this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Reoil wrote: »
    Jumped-up losers hiding behind a curtain of web anonymity.

Say that to our face ya coward. Ditch your anonymity or keep the ridiculous comments to yourself.

I used to work in Eason as a student when I lived in Ireland back in the day. Most of those celeb mags came from the UK. Didn't realise there'd be enough Irish titles to fill two shelves worth. Maybe things have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Holocene wrote: »
    However, one thing troubles me, and that is the level of humiliation to which some people are exposed on here.... Ireland is a very small country

This. I have little trouble with politicians, presenters and the like getting flack. They are wafflers who do very little actual work so this their chief job hazard. However, I have a problem with private citizens who appear in the media through no fault of their own being humiliated and derided on social fora like Boards.ie by anonymous people.

In a very small society like this an anonymous poster attacking a private citizen who will be known by at least one reader is essentially character assassination by a coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thomas20

Reoil wrote: »
    Jumped-up losers hiding behind a curtain of web anonymity.

Say that to my face and see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

"Some of the banter, okay, understandable and goes with the territory but some people get very, very personal...almost hateful."
    Agree with Eve; piss-taking of celebs and fellow Boardsies is all part of the fun but (and maybe I'm just getting old) there is a line that you cross from slagging to unfunny hatred/vitriol that seems to be happening a lot more now that a couple of years ago.
    I know I don't spend as long on Boards (or post as many replies) as most but it seems to me that I see the same usernames all the time, writing things like: "Oh, suchandsuch, I hate that useless cnut, I hope that ......etc." Also, a lot of interesting threads (much more than in olden times) degenerate into personalised verbal brawls between 2 or 3 posters and become impossible to follow.
    Dear God, even as I write this I'm realising that I'm..I'm... falling OUT of love with Boards.ie!!!!

I used to work in Eason as a student when I lived in Ireland back in the day. Most of those celeb mags came from the UK. Didn't realise there'd be enough Irish titles to fill two shelves worth. Maybe things have changed.
    There are all the UK ones but now there's Irish mags which include what passes for a celeb in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Holocene

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Just to clarify, the people I had in mind were those who show up on the media radar for one reason or another, rather than full-blown celebrities as such. It can definitely be argued that the latter court and necessitate the attention, good and bad.

But most people on TV are just regular people with jobs be it presenter, actor, comedian or journalist and not all of those jobs are as lucrative as some might think.

And many other people just have the spotlight thrust on them.

Hopefully the trolls never have reason to train their collective beady eye on my own baldy head and beet red face :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I think it's shocking when any human being takes the p1ss out of another living soul. It should not be tolerated or condoned and to be so mean just shows up their own immaturity.
    On another note, all celebrities are gee-bags except when I meet them, whereby they become celebrities once again and I marvel over their every syllable, despite my inner schnide pulling hard on the wires attached to my sac whilst screaming "hypocrite" into my left earhole. I think that's fairly normal. The sac-wire bit might just be me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Ms.M wrote: »
    Or even all the Michael Jackson jokes; nobody hear knows he was a paedo, so shut up.

You don't know that for sure. You shut up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Lollers wrote: »
    ...Its an embrassement that will never leave. Tubridy that is.

We keep hoping - but he still keeps staying! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Holocene wrote: »
    But most people on TV are just regular people with jobs be it presenter, actor, comedian or journalist and not all of those jobs are as lucrative as some might think.

Those jobs are essentially trading off being in the public eye. I don't really have a huge amount of sympathy for let's say, Georgia Salpa, whose main attribute seems to be growing tits. I certainly don't have a problem with her, either, but she's relying on people talking about her, and I don't think it's fair to dictate what people can or can't say about someone like that.

Ditto Ryan Tubridy or anyone in RTE. They're living off other peoples interest in them.

It doesn't really matter how much someone in Tallafornia (never watched it) earns. People talk about them because they engender strong feelings one way or the other. It's their mealticket.

I'd have a lot more sympathy for people who are thrust into the spotlight for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

If your career is based on attention seeking then you can't complain when some of that attention is negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

FatherLen wrote: »
    who do you know op?!?!
    is it jedward?
    ryan tubridy?
    joe?
    any politician?

Must be one of the Quinns ?

Maybe yer wan that was on with Joe the other day ???

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Some people on this site can be very mean,you just have to try and ignore it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

byronbay2 wrote: »
    "Some of the banter, okay, understandable and goes with the territory but some people get very, very personal...almost hateful."
    Agree with Eve; piss-taking of celebs and fellow Boardsies is all part of the fun but (and maybe I'm just getting old) there is a line that you cross from slagging to unfunny hatred/vitriol that seems to be happening a lot more now that a couple of years ago.
    I know I don't spend as long on Boards (or post as many replies) as most but it seems to me that I see the same usernames all the time, writing things like: "Oh, suchandsuch, I hate that useless cnut, I hope that ......etc." Also, a lot of interesting threads (much more than in olden times) degenerate into personalised verbal brawls between 2 or 3 posters and become impossible to follow.
    Dear God, even as I write this I'm realising that I'm..I'm... falling OUT of love with Boards.ie!!!!

I hope you arent starting to regret those 29 posts. They've made my life richer, for one. Keep the faith :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement