Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i install my water butt away from the drainpipe?

Options
  • 27-07-2012 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

Looking at installing a water butt, however I don't want to have it on the side of my house. I don't think they look attractive really.

With the idea of water getting its own level, could I install it further down the garden, the butt would still fill if the level of the house is higher than the butt? has anyone done this before?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the high water level in the butt would be at the same height as the diverter in your downpipe. if you can get a pipe long enough, and tuck it away in a way that no-one would fall over it, you should be able to do this.
    you can certainly daisy-chain water butts together in that manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I may be talking out of the top of my head here, but wouldn't you need some sort of small 'collection point' on the house to make a 'solid' amount of water? What I mean is the fact that the water is coming from the roof would not fill a distant tank unless the down pipe was full of water, rather than the 'dribble' or flow that you would normally get. Sorry I really don't know what I am talking about, but I have a sense there would be airlocks along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You just install a diverter in the downpipe. So long as it it higher than the top of the butt, it will flow in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Looking at installing a water butt, however I don't want to have it on the side of my house. I don't think they look attractive really.

With the idea of water getting its own level, could I install it further down the garden, the butt would still fill if the level of the house is higher than the butt? has anyone done this before?

Thanks

Have you not looked at the various designs of waterbutts out there on the Irish market?;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

redser7 wrote: »
    You just install a diverter in the downpipe. So long as it it higher than the top of the butt, it will flow in

will the pipe or hose from the diverter need to be level all the way to the butt? Or could I run the hose downwards (and if possible underground) to meet the butt further away? Surely the level of the flowing water will want to meet the level of the diverter?

I know its simple physics, just difficult to work out without trying it i guess!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

will the pipe or hose from the diverter need to be level all the way to the butt? Or could I run the hose downwards (and if possible underground) to meet the butt further away? Surely the level of the flowing water will want to meet the level of the diverter?

I know its simple physics, just difficult to work out without trying it i guess!

Water will flow back on itself.

You need a slope from the gutter down pipe to the entry point on the water butt.
    Bascily the divertor point on the gutter down pipe MUST BE HIGHER than the entry point on the top of the water butt...regardless of how long or short the run/distance is.

The divertor hose itself also must run at a constant slope,so water will freely flow from gutter/divertor point down into water butt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

noticed water pumps for sale in lidl. could be handy for pumping water for high up watering pipes in greenhouses etc or pumping water from underground stoarage

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-BC6D451B-AC51DA17/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_23018.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

paddy147 wrote: »
    The divertor hose itself also must run at a constant slope,so water will freely flow from gutter/divertor point down into water butt.
    if i'm reading you right, i don't think what you're saying is accurate. the diverter hose can follow a u-bend shape; it doesn't matter if it dips below the entry to the water butt, as long as none of it is higher than the diverter.

Advertisement