Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amnesty International & these ads for mental awareness

• 27-07-2012 9:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Have this previously fine organisation run out of African Warlords or child sweat shops to campaign against.
    Eliminating the stigma of mental illness is hardly in their remit.
    Are the worlds horrors being cured at such a rate they're having to trawl for new causes ?.

Next up, Joe McGinty of the Irish Farmers Association speaks on the true benefits of cloud computing.
    Also, while I'm at it, some of these organisations are guilty of seeking out things to be horrified about.
    If I were a gay rights campaigner I wouldn't go asking a Southern Republican about gay marriage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I've sat for a good minute or two trying to come up with an appropriate answer to the OP. I really can't though. It has left me truly shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Amnesty International is concerned with human rights.

People with mental health problems in Ireland have faced repeated infringements of their human rights over many years, which is why AI is campaigning for change.

How anyone can see this as a bad thing is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Have this previously fine organisation run out of African Warlords or child sweat shops to campaign against.
    Are the worlds horrors being cured at such a rate they're having to trawl for new causes ?.

It's the way you tell them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm off out to find something daft to be shocked about. I'll get back to ye.

It may take some time to top the op though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Why don't you start a campaign against their campaigns against things?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Maybe they should start a campaign against people who repeatedly start wannabe-troll threads? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

I don't know anything much about amnesty but I reckon a lot of those big charities go for whatever they think is the biggest cash cow.

Maybe they reckon mental health is a better earner than African warlords right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't get it. Why would you have a problem with this?

I can see the point of questioning it.

It doesn't do much for their credibility if they're hopping from one issue to another.

It's not as if there aren't already groups advocating for mental health.

Makes me think and this is pure speculation, that there just in it for the money.

boo3000 wrote: »
    Makes me think and this is pure speculation, that there just in it for the money.
    I've been trying to come up with a better way of putting this, but I can't. So here goes...

...WTF?!? Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I just discovered that the word flabbergasted is in my phones dictionary.

Ah don't take it too seriously, i've made it clear it's just speculation so that's not a concrete allegation or anything of the sort.

But yeah, i reckon a lot of these big charities are crooks (a topic that has been covered here several times before)

So if Amnesty are also crooks (and im not saying they are, but if they are) it would make sense to change to a more profitable cause.

Less people are likely to give money to global human rights issues these days. Mental health is a more pressing issue right now, lots of people suffering with extra pressures, health cutbacks etc.

So if you're only out to make a quick buck, it would make sense to move to the most profitable cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Next up, Joe McGinty of the Irish Farmers Association speaks on the true benefits of cloud computing.
    Also, while I'm at it, some of these organisations are guilty of seeking out things to be horrified about.
    If I were a gay rights campaigner I wouldn't go asking a Southern Republican about gay marriage.

Maybe because our Health Service has pretty much only paid lip service to the issue? Suicide kills more people per year than car crashes but the RSA ads are on 24/7 with no mention of suicide.

Maybe because Ireland's attitude and services to mental health are nothing short of disgraceful? The "ah shure it's only a drop of sadness" attitude endemic in Ireland?

I was puzzled that Amnesty International were campaigning on the issue as I more commonly associated them with more international issues. Not for one second did I think it was a bad thing and I think it is brilliant that they are stepping to the plate. The HSE should be ashamed that a NGO is running this campaign and not them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Richard Boyd-Barrett did whatnow?

Im just going to make it clear that i'm fully in support of better mental health services and the protection of human rights.

I just happen to believe that a lot of big charities use good causes for their own gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

So if Amnesty are also crooks (and im not saying they are, but if they are) it would make sense to change to a more profitable cause.

People being stigmatised or discriminated against because of mental health issues is a human rights issue.

Its not 'changing to a more profitable cause'. Its the same cause, and the organisation has always had a wide focus.

Amnesty is one of the most worthwhile and honourable groups in the world, in my opinion. This does nothing but concrete that view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I don't like the ads because they are the usual "blame the society, not the individual" and does nothing to encourage people to take responsibility for their own mental health; instead encouraging them to blame "society" for all their problems.

Substitute mental health for skin colour, gender, age, etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Giselle wrote: »
    People being stigmatised or discriminated against because of mental health issues is a human rights issue.

Is there any evidence that discrimination actually happens?

I don't like the ads because they are the usual "blame the society, not the individual" and does nothing to encourage people to take responsibility for their own mental health; instead encouraging them to blame "society" for all their problems.
    Example?

The ads do address wider society, but not in terms of blame. They appeal to understanding. The subjects are presented as people who have faced up to and addressed their personal problems. Personal problems that were horribly stigmatized here for years, and were often compounded by the fact that they could not be openly spoken about. You might try reading them again in that light?

Honestly, I've no idea why anybody would have a problem with them...

So individuals are to blame for their mental health? You make it sounds like they decided one day to be depressed/schizophrenic/bipolar etc.

Depending on the illness it can be genes, environment, traumatic events. A whole myriad of issues.

Do you think society is fully supportive of mental health issues? Individuals with mental health problems need the support of society and it's services just as people with cancer or diabetes need the same support and services? I don't think you would say that cancer patients "need to take responsibility for their own health".

This ad campaign isn't saying that society is to blame for these issues but it is saying that society can compound an existing attitude by not supporting the individuals. Which I think is a perfectly fair statement. The stigma around mental health and issues such as suicide is a very common obstacle to people.

• Advertisement

I didn't like their ads actually and i've just been reminded of that by this thread, which i joined because of my more general mistrust of big charities.

Did they do the one 'people thought i was weak until i took responsibility for my mental health'?

I thought it was just reinforcing a stigma that people with mental health problems are weak.

Giselle wrote: »

Is there any evidence that discrimination actually happens?
    Yes. And before you ask, go find it yourself. Google and stuff...

I didn't like their ads actually and i've just been reminded of that by this thread, which i joined because of my more general mistrust of big charities.
    Paranoia?

Get thee to conspiracy theories!

;-)

Not trusting big charities doesn't make me paranoid, there's plenty of evidence to support the strong possibility that a lot of them are less than honest.

And making fun of somebody for being paranoid on a mental health thread is a bit insensitive tbh.

And making fun of somebody for being paranoid on a mental health thread is a bit insensitive tbh.

Not really. This is coming from someone with a mental illness. It's AH. Much worse things have been said.

Also I think the joke is that you're making it sound like a conspiracy theory not that you're paranoid.

Ah fair enough, anyway back to the point, if Amnesty did an ad for gay rights that went:

People thought i was a big soft poof, until i took control (thereby not being a big soft poof)

That would be a pretty **** ad

(apologies not calling gays big soft poofs, just using another stereotype)

Ah fair enough, anyway back to the point, if Amnesty did an ad for gay rights that went:

People thought i was a big soft poof, until i took control (thereby not being a big soft poof)

That would be a pretty **** ad

(apologies not calling gays big soft poofs, just using another stereotype)

I'm not sure what you mean? Are you saying the mental health ads were the equivalent to this?

Yes thats what i thought, sorry i thought that was clear

• Advertisement

Not trusting big charities doesn't make me paranoid, there's plenty of evidence to support the strong possibility that a lot of them are less than honest.

On an advertising thread, in AH.

As regards mental health, I've made my position clear in previous posts. I have qualifications in the field, and am continuing to train.

I was commenting (in quite a lighthearted way, this being AH) on your apparent attitude to a highly respected and highly effective organization that has done unparalleled work on a huge range of issues for decades. They're certainly not a fly-by-night chancers brigade, of which there a certainly many

Get over it?

Yes thats what i thought, sorry i thought that was clear

The ads were saying that society hurt the person through gossip, lack of understanding etc. I don't think it was saying that people with mental health had to "man up" or "get on with it".

I suggest you keep
    endacl wrote: »
    continuing to train.

and don't tell your patients to
    endacl wrote: »
    Get over it?

Now if we might get back to the point.....

fearcruach wrote: »
    The ads were saying that society hurt the person through gossip, lack of understanding etc. I don't think it was saying that people with mental health had to "man up" or "get on with it".

I think they did, I can't remember the exact words but it did say something like, people thought i was weak until i took control of my mental health.

I remember thinking at the time they were well dodge.

I think they did, I can't remember the exact words but it did say something like, people thought i was weak until i took control of my mental health.

I remember thinking at the time they were well dodge.

I think you're talking about this one

http://www.amnesty.ie/sites/default/files/image/mental%20health/151774%20Amnesty%20International%2048Sheet_1.jpg

I think what they are tyring to say is that people view mental health as a "weakness". I.e. depression = being a bit sad. That the people should have helped him not put him down.

I don't think they were saying that until he got his mental health back that he was weak. It was people's perception of it.

I've just checked the ad and it went:

People called Liam weak
    Recovering his mental health
    Made him stronger

I remember seeing it with a friend who has a mental health illness and they were quite hurt by it.

I agreed, I think there's a clear suggestion that you have to recover ur mental health to make u stronger so people don't call you weak

If only it were that simple. My understanding is that for a lot of people living with mental health problems is a life long struggle, with ups and downs. Not a simple, you recover your mental health and then people won't call you weak.

• Advertisement

People called Liam weak
    Made him stronger

I remember seeing it with a friend who has a mental health illness and they were quite hurt by it.

I agreed, I think there's a clear suggestion that you have to recover ur mental health to make u stronger so people don't call you weak

If only it were that simple. My understanding is that for a lot of people living with mental health problems is a life long struggle, with ups and downs. Not a simple, you recover your mental health and then people won't call you weak.

I can see how it could be interpreted as such.

The ad is not saying that people with mental illness are weak, it's saying that people called him weak. It is identifying that this is the wrong attitude to have.

The whole campaign seems to be aimed at looking at the general populations attitudes to mental illness not the illness itself.

Other ads support this where they talk about suicide attempts leaving scars but the gossip left deeper scars.

I don't remember the other ads and maybe it was part of a campaign but i think there's a pretty clear suggestion there that people with mental illness are weak.

Because you have to be strong to recover. Why did you not recover earlier?Because you were weak, pretty clear.

Ok maybe if you'd seen the rest of the ads, you might interpret it differently but on it's own i think it's pretty offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

People called Liam weak
    Made him stronger

I pass this billboard daily, I identify with it, my mental health is a bit of a rollercoaster, dealing with it and getting on takes an obscene amount of strength in the face of how Irish people treat you, far more than it should, so that's what I read it as referring to.

wonderfulname Im glad that your interpreting it that way and I wish you the best with your own health but i do remember my friend being very offended by it and I can see why.

I think there's a clear connotation there, that by associating recovered mental health with strength, poor mental health is weakness. Especially when you've already set out that people call him week.

Compare it again to:

wonderfulname Im glad that your interpreting it that way and I wish you the best with your own health but i do remember my friend being very offended by it and I can see why.

I think there's a clear connotation there, that by associating recovered mental health with strength, poor mental health is weakness. Especially when you've already set out that people call him week.

Compare it again to:

I think this is the key bit. This isn't in the Amnesty ad. It doesn't say that people are weak until they take control.

I have a mental illness but I did not get offended by the ad. In fact I do identify with it, where people think you are weak because you don't "just get on with it".

The ad is not trying to say people are weak. It's saying that this is the perception, that the perception is incorrect and that needs to be stopped.

• Advertisement

I agree there is room for interpretation on the ad but:

until i took control is quite close to recovering his mental health

It's great to do an ad saying don't stigmatize but i think they should have left it at that. Telling people to recover their mental health is dodge as far as i know.

Again though, I do wish you the best with your health but I also remeber my friend being upset by this ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 corkhead

I think that itss funny that this ad is being talked about now. I saw it a few months ago when I was very depressed. It made me want to kill myself. When I'm depressed being strong is staying alive. I can't just recover myself. Amnesty International can go **** themselves.

Sorry to hear that corkhead, I hope your feeling ok now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

your right op amnesty is strickly for foreign types,

lesser countries

it is like i say

we are just fine the way we are!

Well we might be better off without their ahem help, by the looks of things.

Advertisement