Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you teach in UK with BA in English?

• 27-07-2012 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As it is currently very difficult to find a job (in any field) in Ireland, I am considering a move to the UK.

I have a 2:1 degree, majoring in English, from UCD. Would I be able to do some teaching in the UK with this? I do not have teaching experience - it's not an area I had specifically sought employment in before - and would like to try it before committing to a PGDE or anything.

I am told I could get some work with my degree in English, either as a TA or something more hands on. Does anyone know the route through which you would go to find this sort of work? Any specific agencies or websites to look at?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Hi,

You could do the graduate teacher programme in England. Schools often take on graduates and they train while they teach. There's more info about it here:

http://http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/school-based-training/gtp.aspx

Hope that helps. It might be too late to apply now though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I don't think you can teach without a PGCE/PGDE even as a supply teacher in the UK.

Teaching Assistant maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

I don't think you can teach without a PGCE/PGDE even as a supply teacher in the UK.

Teaching Assistant maybe.

Do you know how you would go about getting work as a Teaching Assistant in the UK? Any websites you would recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

No.
    Sorry.

Wouldn't have a clue.

I did my PGCE in the uk in 06/07 & have been home since.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

Interesting article from yesterday's guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/jul/27/gove-academies-unqualified-teaching-staff?commentpage=all#start-of-comments

Tories are allowing academy schools to employ people without a teaching qualification.

They claim it's to attract more highly talented scientists, linguists etc into teaching.

Skeptics view it as a move towards dismantling the educational apparatus as it exists, lowering costs and weakening teachers' unions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Hmmmm,

I worked in an academy briefly, I'm not sure the talented linguists and scientists etc would enjoy the working conditions of 20 - 30 rowdy teenagers not giving much of a toss. Will academies attract such a caliber of academics? I have my doubts...they find it hard to recruit regular teachers at times.

I've seen unqualified people working in academies and it's not pretty. The kids know when someone is new to the game and they go to town on them!

I'm all for giving a quality learning experience to the kids but this involves a lot more than stellar subject knowledge.

Remember Jamie Oliver's Dream School? Shows how being a star in your chosen field does not necessarily translate into teaching it to teenagers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭Trained Monkey

Do you know how you would go about getting work as a Teaching Assistant in the UK? Any websites you would recommend?

TA positions in the UK are generally filled by parents or people from the local community near each school. This doesn't mean you can't be a TA, it just means that the jobs are not usually advertised online. If it were a Catholic school, for example, they might put a notice in the church newsletter or something similar. You're best bet is to contact schools directly.

Pick an area where you would like to live and then contact each school via phone or email. Each school in the UK normally has a comprehensive website and are quick to respond.

Schools love people with university/work/life experience behind them so you would probably get a job without too much hassle. Be warned though, pay levels for TA's in the UK are low. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GemJ

Hi I am from the uk.
    Teaching assistant jobs are posted on the school website and the local council web page. Or better still knowing someone who works in a school can usually get you in. With 2:1 or above you can work asa cover supervisor, schools here tend to employ a number of these in a school to keep costs down with supply agencies, this job pays more than a TA. Once you have do e this for a while the school may then take you on a GTP course as you need a school to be your mentor this is almost impossible if your not working in a school.
    Also a school can employ you in your chosen subject as am unqualified teacher ( you get paid less) if you have good knowledge in the area. Look for schools wanting long term cover or maternity cover again because you would cheaper than a supply.
    Finally, if you are going for PGCE/GTP TA experience is ok but they favour the others as you have more class room control experience.
    You don't always need experience to get a start just been very keen and try low achieving school they are always crying out for TA's.

Advertisement