Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 128GB SSD 830 or Crucial M4

Options
  • 27-07-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Trying to decided between the two of these. I am slightly leaning more towards the M4 mainly because I have heard of it more!

Also, do I need a Sata3 cable or will the Sata2 cable do?

Anybody got any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

The Samsung would be the pick of the two, it's faster & Samsung have a better reputation for reliability.
    Having said that, the M4 is only very slightly worse than the 830, in both speed and reliability to the point where you should buy the cheaper of the two.

Dabs have the 830 for €100~ which seems to be the best deal around atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    The Samsung would be the pick of the two, it's faster & Samsung have a better reputation for reliability.
    Having said that, the M4 is only very slightly worse than the 830, in both speed and reliability to the point where you should buy the cheaper of the two.

Dabs have the 830 for €100~ which seems to be the best deal around atm.

Thanks for that. Dabs seems to be cheaper for drives all round

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have seen serious test between those two and virtually there is no difference between two. Those are 2 best ssds in the market.
    Only fanboys will go to one or another side.
    So the best one between two: the one that comes cheaper. That is as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I own both and would have no problem recommending either. I wouldn't consider the Samsung to be any better for reliability to be fair, especially as they are newer to the market.

Given the same price, I would go with Samsung. Mainly because of the faster writes. Fantastic write speed is not really of key importance so if Crucial can do more than €5 better, then they have my vote (which isn't the case in most European shops).

I actually own both too. I used the M4 in my laptop since Christmas and just recently swapped the M4 into our family PC and put the 830 into my laptop. Boot times on my laptop are now slower using the 830 :eek: I think that's mostly my fault for being lazy and not going through the SSD optimisation guides to switch off some of the crap that slows it down.

One other reason I would recommend the Samsung 830, it looks amazing, I mean come on how could you not buy it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Did you clone the drive or maybe you're using a different AHCI driver?

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    One other reason I would recommend the Samsung 830, it looks amazing, I mean come on how could you not buy it :D

haha, it will be inside my case. I will only look at it as I am putting it in and maybe taking it out in a couple years!

I was due a clean install at the time anyway.
    So it shouldn't be anything like drivers, might be AHCI but that should be still be selected, might have a look at it later sometimes the BIOS does like to magically change stuff.

I went for the Samsung in the end guys!

Advertisement