Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extras or Featured Extra

Options
  • 27-07-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I've been working as an extra in some productions recently and would like to know whether some of the work I have had counts as being a general "background extra" or "featured/technical extra".

I know for example that in my first production, I was specifically a postman looking at his mail but all I was doing was walking through the background towards a postbox but not doing anything specific. This would be a general, background extra I assume.

Now, in a role as an Irish Volunteer a while ago, I was involved in a few scenes, but I can divide it into two sections. The first one was three unspeaking extras including myself, and three speaking ones. All I had to do was pretend to speak, nod etc. as the plans were being told.
    But it is in the second section that I am not sure as to whether I count now as an extra or featured extra. While I was initially planned as a regular kind of extra, the production team saw I had the captain jacket of the Volunteers so out of a group of four of us in running scene, a lead acting role has to stop me, and we look into each other as he shouts instructions. Then, I nod to him as he finishes and I start the running again. Mostly running around with rifles at different parts was what this section comprised of.
    Since I had this form of screen time with the actor this way, does this constitute a featured/technical extra role? Especially considering that it was not essentially planned for me when I got an availability check from movieextras.ie but sort of occurred on the day.

In another production shot yesterday, I was in a restaurant scene where everyone was clothed normally except myself and another guy (who had lines). I did not have lines, but I was quite the stand-out dressed in a great, big yellow chicken costume. The scenes I was in was me carrying stuff over to tables for the people there, as well as going around pretending to ask if anyone needs anything else. I think this one counts as a featured/technical extra, doesn't it?

Thanks to everyone who replies. I'm pretty sure the first one is general extra and the third one is featured, but I am really unsure about the 2nd one as the Irish Volunteer due to the interaction with the actor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The definition of a featured extra is essentially an extra who the scene focuses on. So if a lead character directly interacts with you (as described in your 2nd example) then yes, I would say you are a featured extra in that case.
    Since featured extras tend to get paid more than regular background extras it might be worth contacting movieextras.ie and informing them that you were featured. They probably aren't aware that you were featured as it was an ad-hoc decision by the director, so you may be entitled to some extra (no pun intended) payment.
    I'm not so sure about your third one though. Were you in the foreground/interacting with proper cast or just milling around the background with the extras?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Galvasean wrote: »
    The definition of a featured extra is essentially an extra who the scene focuses on. So if a lead character directly interacts with you (as described in your 2nd example) then yes, I would say you are a featured extra in that case.
    Since featured extras tend to get paid more than regular background extras it might be worth contacting movieextras.ie and informing them that you were featured. They probably aren't aware that you were featured as it was an ad-hoc decision by the director, so you may be entitled to some extra (no pun intended) payment.
    I'm not so sure about your third one though. Were you in the foreground/interacting with proper cast or just milling around the background with the extras?

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad more than anything to add to my experience that the work was as a featured extra.

As for the third one, the casting director when I applied for the part of an extra in the scene accepted me, and then later said that I get a special part as a waiter in a chicken costume if I want to take it. I did not have any interaction with any of the foreground actors, just the other extras and objects I carried around. I would have been quite visible, not so much because of my costume, but that I would have passed close by to the main camera, around the same time an actor runs near to it - that probably does not matter though. That third production was different as it was not from movieextras.ie but an unpaid extra role I volunteered for myself. So maybe it does not count?

Being credited would suggest being a featured extra, right? For the 2nd production, I doubt they have my details as the soldier who interacted with the actor, so I might not be credited. As for the 3rd one, I'll receive a DVD copy of it soon so at the least, I can at least check the credits at some point if they think what I did counted but it's probably not their place to decide otherwise against a general view of the definition :)

• Company Representative Posts: 103 Verified rep MovieExtras.ie: Derek

Hi

I second Galvasean's post.

It can be difficult to define an extra / featured extra.

Generally, if the role you are in is not an acting role, than ask yourself the question “would the scene be the same without you?" if the answer is no, then you are probably featured.

If any of the following happens than you are probably featured:

• A small line (ie saying thank you etc)
    • Any significant physical contact / interaction with a lead (maybe arresting one of the actors)
    • The main focus for more than a couple of seconds (camera pans, focuses on you for a couple of seconds and then moves to the actor)
    • Any significant close interaction with an actor (in your case, being directly ordered by the captain)

If you are featured, you will generally get an extra 30% to 60% over and above the standard rate depending upon the production.

Just because you were chosen on the day, it should not affect you getting extra payment. This should be listed on the chit that you received at the end of the day. If there is no mention of it, send your details mentioning the production and date to Lynda@MovieExtras.ie who will investigate. Though please note accounts are closed until August 4th, but Lynda will deal with your query thereafter.

You can be a featured extra without getting paid, so if you are involved in a zero budget or student production, you can still include this in your CV, though make a note that it was an unpaid role.

It is unlikely that you will receive a credit for being featured on any significant production. Generally, in such productions if you are entitled to a credit than you are entitled to actor day rates.

By the sounds of the third role, it was not featured.

Cheers
    Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Thanks for the reply Derek. It is interesting that I emailed movieextras.ie on the day that you very shortly afterwards reply here on boards.ie.
    The advice was different however, suggesting for the 1916 reconstruction that yes I may be a considered featured extra, but that there won't be any additional pay (as he knew the details of the production that day). After all, I never received a chit of any sort, no one from movie extras that day got one as it was all sorted out apparently.

As for the other one, it was suggested that because it was signified as a 'special part', then I may be considered as a featured extra.

Forgetting the whole money issues for now (I really only care about the experience here in these cases for now), I think I'll consider the 1916 reconstruction as featured extra, and leave the third example as regular, background extra.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Advertisement