Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior Wooden Door Paint advice

• 27-07-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

I got a new wooden door installed last night. Absolutely thrilled with how it looks.

Now the hard work begins which I am looking forward to. The door has come lead primed. Its a teak wood. The lead prime has given it a navy look or grey look if that makes sense.

So I want to get painting it, and we are going to go with a dark navy door inside and outside. The door frame and around the side windows will be an off white or cream. Probably cream. So, I need some advice:

1. The weather is turning tonight, so it looks like I might not get a chance to paint it in dry weather. Also, the wind is going to pick up, and my house is a bit of a construction site right now, so a lot of dust around.

What is the maximum length of time we can go without painting this door in the current climate we are having?

2. What would be the best colour undercoat for the door and frame given the eventual colors we want to use?

3. How many coats of each? I was thinking two or three undercoats with sanding in between each, and finishing off with two overcoats of a gloss navy and cream for the door and frame respectively.

4. Finally, recommendations on paint? I want to get this right, so I'm not going to go cheap on the pain.

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Sorry for going off topic for a minute...but why not have gone for a "woodgrain effect" thermal composite door instead??

U-Value of 0.23.

They come in many colours and only need a wipe of a damp cloth every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

paddy147 wrote: »
    Sorry for going off topic for a minute...but why not have gone for a "woodgrain effect" thermal composite door instead??

U-Value of 0.23.

They come in many colours and only need a wipe of a damp cloth every now and again.

I know what your saying. I just like wooden doors. I like wood in general, however, for my windows, I am going for woodgrain effect PVC.

Colm R wrote: »
    I know what your saying. I just like wooden doors. I like wood in general, however, for my windows, I am going for woodgrain effect PVC.

Went with cream coloured wood grain effect Upvc windows myself and then a black gerogian 6 panel composite door.

I too was going for a solid wood door,but after seeing my friends brand new front door and wooden windows (from a well known company which I wont mention) go to absolute shyte in under 2 years,I decided to go for the composite door instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭marley1

Hi paddy147

What sort of money is it for a composite door. I currently have a pvc front door which needs replacing and we were thinking of a wooden front door as the house is over 100 years old and it may suit it better . But as you say here that you can get wood effect composite doors they may be the way to go

Thanks in advance

marley1 wrote: »
    Hi paddy147

What sort of money is it for a composite door. I currently have a pvc front door which needs replacing and we were thinking of a wooden front door as the house is over 100 years old and it may suit it better . But as you say here that you can get wood effect composite doors they may be the way to go

Thanks in advance

You can get them cheapish (tend to be a bit inferior and not good hinges) and you can get them expensive.

Anywhere from around 1400 euro upwards I suppose.

I got my door made by Profile Developments in Limerick.

http://www.profiledevelopments.com/

I had 4 bespoke long narrow windows made to suit the door and porch and then a glazier friend of mine hand laid a stained glass design for me and installed tripple glased windows into the frames for me.

The bespoke tripple glazed hand laid stained glass windows were made in my friends workshop in Dundalk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement