Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has going to a gig ever put you off an artist for good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

i wasnt a huge fan but i did like a few songs from meatloaf, he played in fitsgerald stadium in killarney and i thought he was rubbish, havent played a single song by him since, i got free tickets to see bonny tyler in inec in killarney and she had to stop 1/3 of the way thought "total eclipse of the heart" because she got her words mixed up , like what the f*ck

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

Fatboy Slim.

I knew (and loved) a few tracks tracks like Funksoul Brother. When I got to the Marley Park gig, all I saw was a dude waving a bandana to the crowd while playing cheesy techno MP3s from a laptop. I left shortly after the start and could never listen to any of his tracks again without raging...

Faith No More

I saw them at the Olympia Theatre 2 or 3 years ago. Been a fan since the released "the real thing". I followed the setlist of this tour and they played "we care a lot" and "from out of nowhere" (my 2 favorites) at every gig except for the Dublin one. When I hear FNM now, it reminds me of one of biggest disappointments gig-wise (because my expectations had been so high). I even took a full video of the show in great quality, which I never watched, because it makes me sad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the offspring @ leeds last year, followed by blink 182 same fest, utter let down, maybe the new fans like then different :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The second time it happened was at a Mark Kozelek show in Whelan's. He was acting really pissy all through the show, had a go at some audience members and then told us he was fed up touring and we should buy some records from the merch table as he was "sick of dragging them around Europe". I discovered afterwards that this was standard practice for the guy and he's just a prick in general. Never bothered with his music again.

Mark Kozelek has a funny sense of humour though, have you heard his latest album? The WHOLE THING is about being sick of touring and selling merch and signing posters for middle aged guys instead of having girls come to his shows. All that sort of thing. But I do believe he's mostly taking the piss.

I've seen him many times, and while some gigs have uncomfortable moments, others have been spectacular (e.g. Sun Kil Moon's last gig at the Academy). He's playing the Button Factory in November, I'm def gonna go.

One person I may not see again is Evan Dando / Lemonheads. I saw their "Shame About Ray" show in the Academy this year and it was awful. No interest in the music, stood still all night, sang awfully, barely spoke to the audience. I've seen him play solo and band a ton of times and seen some amazing, fun gigs by him (Whelan's with Ben Kweller and Ben Lee; solo band line up in the Village) and even met him after one and he was really nice.

But that last show was just so awful that I'm not sure I'd want to go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Mark Kozelek has a funny sense of humour though, have you heard his latest album? The WHOLE THING is about being sick of touring and selling merch and signing posters for middle aged guys instead of having girls come to his shows. All that sort of thing. But I do believe he's mostly taking the piss.

I haven't heard the new album (because I've been put off the guy totally) but I did read a review of it in the latest issue of Uncut which incorporated a small interview with him. It seemed to me that he was belatedly trying to make a joke out of his bad behaviour, not that he had been joking all along.

He made that same point in the interview, that he was pissed off that his audience is middle-aged guys and he'd rather a more attractive audience like he had in the Red House Painters days. It put me off the guy even more, I just think his attitude stinks. It didn't seem tounge-in-cheek to me, either when I saw him play or in this interview. He just seems dog ignorant, which is jarring given the type of music he plays.

Anyway, if he doesn't like the way things have worked out for him he should go do something else. Become a fry-cook and try to score the waitresses or something, if that's all he's interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

Ryan Adams - what an ass.

Saw the obnoxious show in the Olympia in (maybe) 2003 where he was clearly stoned and wandered around the stage wondering what he would play/do next. What passed for insightful commentary between the songs was not worthy of a five year old.

Never again, says I.

However, I did see him again supporting Oasis in Montreal in 2008. Of course the audience were not to his liking and he gave a speech about the audience not deserving him or some other rubbish.

Never again.

Although, Jacksonville City Nights remains firmly one of my favourite albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Riddim Bandit

MGMT on Eletric Picnic in umm... 2009 - Biiig disappointment - They were making impression like someone had wrote their biggest hits for them and they struggled to perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Extinction wrote: »
    Saw Roger Waters The Wall at the O2 in London last year, utter crap and put me off listening to Pink Floyd.

Really? I was at that gig and thought it was amazing. Sure, he's not the best musician/singer, but that show was all about the spectical. What didn't you like about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I haven't heard the new album (because I've been put off the guy totally) but I did read a review of it in the latest issue of Uncut which incorporated a small interview with him. It seemed to me that he was belatedly trying to make a joke out of his bad behaviour, not that he had been joking all along.

He made that same point in the interview, that he was pissed off that his audience is middle-aged guys and he'd rather a more attractive audience like he had in the Red House Painters days. It put me off the guy even more, I just think his attitude stinks. It didn't seem tounge-in-cheek to me, either when I saw him play or in this interview. He just seems dog ignorant, which is jarring given the type of music he plays.

Anyway, if he doesn't like the way things have worked out for him he should go do something else. Become a fry-cook and try to score the waitresses or something, if that's all he's interested in.

Dude, everything he says is SOOO tongue in cheek - I think you're getting the wrong end of the stick.

At the same time, wouldn't you be pissed off if your audience was middle aged balding men instead of cute girls? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Dude, everything he says is SOOO tongue in cheek - I think you're getting the wrong end of the stick.

At the same time, wouldn't you be pissed off if your audience was middle aged balding men instead of cute girls? :-)

I honestly think you're giving the guy more credit than he deserves, but we can agree to disagree on whether he's being ironic or just being himself.

I do know that he threatened an audience member for attempting to video him on his phone at that Whelan's gig I attended. He embarrassed the guy roundly and threatened to beat him up. There was nothing funny or tongue in cheek about it, he wasn't kidding and never made any attempt to diffuse the situation afterward, just kept on about how pissed off he was with touring. Ok, I think filming gigs on your phone is for chumps, but there's no need to lay into someone for doing it, what's the big deal? Youtube is already awash with poor quality videos of Mark Kozelek playing live anyway, what difference is one more going to make?

I can honestly say if I was lucky enough to have an audience I'd take any one I could get and I'd try to treat them well. Maybe the guy is just having a laugh with his fans about how he and they are all a bunch of sad, middle-aged loners. That's fair enough if his audience are into that. If they're not then he'll have an even smaller audience next time round.

I do hope the Button Factory gig goes off well and that you enjoy it. And if he does kick off at it, make sure you post on here and let us know :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Actually have to add another band to my list

Counting Crows - Oxegen 08 , Pretty much just played the new record and played Mr Jones on the second song and it just felt the set would never end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Really? I was at that gig and thought it was amazing. Sure, he's not the best musician/singer, but that show was all about the spectical. What didn't you like about it?

This review summed up what I thought of it http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/live-music-reviews/8511618/Roger-Waters-The-Wall-O2-Arena-London-review.html
    I suppose you could say I went to see the wall as it originally was because I always wanted to see the show but it was a let down, making political statements about current world events just didn't fit for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

Chilli Peppers in the Phoenix Park. Absolute garbage and haven't time for them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ciaranf92

The Horrors in Belfast this year.

Firstly they were just awful in general, but Faris also criticized the crowds movement and sarcastically said "Wow, I wonder how youre gonna keep this level of energy up all night". Then during the encore he said he preferred Dublin.

Havent bothered listening to them since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I had a double whammy at The Marquee. I went to see Midlake and they were awful live, though I still like their records, I wouldn't go see them again. They supported Grizzly Bear who were just amazing, and I have loved them since that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

ongarite wrote: »
    Chilli Peppers in the Phoenix Park. Absolute garbage and haven't time for them since.

i was at that gig myself and was a bit underwhelmed myself, but on that I would relate back to what another post said about U2 earlier on, the chillis would be a band that have a very uncluttered sound, it is singer, drums, bass and electric guitar without any effects.....on my favourite songs of theirs anyway like scar tissue or californication......carried imho by the brilliant guitar playing of John Frusciante. I just think its not a stadium sound, it sounds a bit empty when pumped out over massive speakers, it needs extra effects or instruments to fill it out.....especially as in the phoenix park where I think the sound wasnt great, guitar not loud enough......I would question whether the chillis are a great stadium band, that their sound doesnt suit stadiums....I've only seen them the once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Kris Kristofferson, The Point
    This was like a never-ending concert. Kristofferson just kept waffling on about "freedom" and moaning about George W. Bush. His harmonica holder was set up in such a way that he had to physically adjust it whenever he wanted to actually play it, which meant he often lost the flow of the song while he had to stop playing his guitar to fix it. It just went on and on and on. He's been back several times since, and I've stayed well clear.

Lambchop, Olympia
    I saw them on the Nixon tour, and - with that album being one of the critics' unanimous favourites of the year - the gig was highly anticipated. It's so long ago, I can't remember anything specific to complain about, but it was just so uninvolving and soulless, I couldn't believe how detached I felt from the the whole thing. There was an intermission (rare with gigs of that scale, but welcome), so I took the opportunity to leave. I never listened to them again and ultimately sold whatever CDs of theirs I had.

Natalie Merchant, Olympia
    This was on the Ophelia tour. She regularly forgot the words to songs and failed to introduce her band, which normally wouldn't bother me, but they were far more polished than she was, and deserved some credit. Neither her 10,000 Maniacs output nor any of her solo albums have any place in my current record collection.

St. Vincent, The Button Factory
    I loved Annie Clark before this gig, but it was such a massive disappointment, I don't think I've really listened to her since. I've actually "unchecked" all her songs off my iPod. She played all but one song off Strange Mercy, her most recent (and arguably weakest) album, and didn't play a handful of favourites from her previous records. She arrived on stage ridiculously late as well. Grr.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

ongarite wrote: »

Same for me,thought they were absolutely appalling,Kiedas has to be one of the worst frontmen in music,he might as well have been watching the telly for all the interest he showed,how people can flock to see them in their 10s of 1,000s everytime they play here is beyond me,think theyre just one of those bands its cool to like

They played for about 70 minutes including an encore break and a 5 or 10 minute drum solo(!!!)a f***ing joke of a live band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    ......I would question whether the chillis are a great stadium band, that their sound doesnt suit stadiums....I've only seen them the once.

Saw them at Slane in 03 and thought they were top notch. Before they played, you had Foo Fighters and QOTSA on the bill. I thought RCHP entertained that night. I do think without Frusciante, it's a different ball game....

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

Cat Power in Whelans years ago, stood in the corner barely singing, twas awful. Not totally put off listening to her but would never ever go and see her live again.

WHO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I hate when people have a bad gig, this thread makes me sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AaronPunk

Well mine is more about a gig I didn't attend rather than a gig I attended.
    I was meant to see The Buzzcocks (who I've wanted to see for ages) in May this year, had my ticket and all, but got pretty badly sick at the Therapy? gig the night before.
    It annoyed me that I missed that so much that I haven't been able to listen to their music since because it reminds me of that night.
    What's worse - around that time a car advert featured an acoustic cover of "Ever Fallen in Love" and it seemed to be on the TV a lot, just reminding me of it.
    Again, not The Buzzcocks' fault, but that's one case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

WHO?

Honestly what's the point in a reply like this?

The person was talking about Cat Power. She's a fairly well known singer who's been around for quite a while. If you haven't heard of her it takes a matter of seconds to Google her name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Motorist wrote: »
    They were brilliant to see live back around 1997 during Ok Computer. Saw them twice after that, most recently in Malahide Castle. Malahide Castle was such a let down.

Was that the RDS gig ? I saw them in the RDS around then - great gig but very rough crowd as I recall.

I once saw the Verve play in San Francisco shortly before the split up. totally uninspiring performance.. Sounded like someone put a CD on.

Billy Corgan in the Ambassador a few years back. What a phenomoneally pompous ass. €40 for a 45min gig where he spent at least ten minutes lapping up applause. Fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Travis at Witnness. Nothing wrong with how they played, but the lead singer wouldn't stop talking sh!te. "I want to try an experiment in human nature..." - shut up and play your guitar.

Billy Corgan in the Ambassador a few years back. What a phenomoneally pompous ass. €40 for a 45min gig where he spent at least ten minutes lapping up applause. Fraud.

Yeah, that was terrible. The album had literally only come out that day, so any hope of being really familiar with the new material was impossible. I remember the biggest cheer of the night was for a five second burst of the opening of Today, before he went straight back into his industrial electro noise. Mind you, the last Smashing Pumpkins gig in the Olympia (the Machina tour) was a major letdown too, especially as it was their last ever European show (until Billy resurrected his Yellow Pack version of the band).

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I know they've been rated as the world's best live band, but I saw Muse in the Olympia way back when they released "Showbiz" and I thought it was absolutely ****e. Still like their music but have no interest in going to see them live.

Got a free ticket to "HIM" a couple of years ago as well, me and friend left early (which I would never normally do). Maybe I was too old for that band....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Yeah, that was terrible. The album had literally only come out that day, so any hope of being really familiar with the new material was impossible. I remember the biggest cheer of the night was for a five second burst of the opening of Today, before he went straight back into his industrial electro noise. Mind you, the last Smashing Pumpkins gig in the Olympia (the Machina tour) was a major letdown too, especially as it was their last ever European show (until Billy resurrected his Yellow Pack version of the band).

His ego was the most off putting thing to me. I mean he literally stood at the edge of the stage for a few minutes with his arms outstretched like he was Jesus or something and taking the odd bow:rolleyes:

Re: Billy Corgan, I remember seeing teenagers practically crying outside, 'cos they weren't being allowed in. One girl managed to persuade one of the security guys to ring her home and have her mother confirm she was eighteen. Bet she was sorry she bothered.

The worst thing I was ever at was Came So Far for Beauty, a Leonard Cohen Tribute , put on as part of the Dublin Theatre Festival in 2006, which - while it didn't necessarily put me off listening to those artists on the bill whose albums I owned - was certainly a night where so many high profile performers were hugely disappointing.

At the time, it was kind of billed as the gig of the year, but it was very, very poor. The show started at 8:15 and (with a twenty-minute intermission) ended at 12:15. If you have a show of three hours, forty minutes, and half of it is weak, that’s the guts of two hours of s***e to contend with, and after four hours in the Point’s old plastic chairs, that’s simply torturous. Many people had to leave early, on account of their car park closing at midnight, or if they were relying on buses or a Luas.

The worst thing all night was Gavin Friday and Mary Margaret O’Hara doing Hallelujah, which was excruciatingly bad. I don’t know what the
    hell they were thinking. It was bad enough giving it to Gavin Friday in the first place, without having Mary Margaret O'Hara scatting and
    warbling (literally) all over it in the background.

Lou Reed was going through the motions. There’s more to putting your own stamp on a song than playing a quiet song loud and going nuts on the pedals. Laurie Anderson was also disappointing. An ill-advised take on Dear Heather as her first solo track served to alienate her from most of the audience before she got to do much else. The Handsome Family might have been ideal in a smaller venue, but didn’t work in the Point.

After the big finish with all the participants (at which point I was thinking, "Thank God it's over..."), they wheeled on Teddy Thompson to do The Future (appalling, but not as bad as his horrendous ska version of Waiting for the Miracle from earlier in the night). Then we had The Handsome Family do another tune, and then Beth Orton and a few others to do an a capella song. I can’t even remember what it was.

There were some good performances, but the show ran on so long that any decent interpretations were certainly counterbalanced by the bad, and after such a long show, you were relieved to get the hell out of the place. Dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

The worst thing I was ever at was Came So Far for Beauty, a Leonard Cohen Tribute , put on as part of the Dublin Theatre Festival in 2006, which - while it didn't necessarily put me off listening to those artists on the bill whose albums I owned - was certainly a night where so many high profile performers were hugely disappointing.

I hope it didn't put you off the great man himself. I missed this so can't comment on it but I can tell you it was that night that Rob Hallett used to convince Leonard to go back on the road citing how well ticket sales went so for that I will be eternally grateful.

Advertisement