Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has going to a gig ever put you off an artist for good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Didn't he have to start touring again because all his money got embezzled?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

RHCP in the o2. I was just waiting for it to end. Had to deal with shirtless drunken aggressive idiots shouting abuse at Fool's Gold (the warmup act, who by the way were fantastic). The then mediocre performance from RHCP coupled with the still drunken shirtless idiots, who were now more shirtless and more sweaty before all chanting only the chorus to californication.

Was probably just the venue and some annoying people there who ruined it for me, but since then I can't listen to anything RHCP without thinking they owe me 75 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tellmesomethin

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Has going to a gig ever put you off an artist for good?

In my case, I'd be hard pushed to listen to Madonna again after going to her Slane concert, which was (for me) an awful experience.

Van Morrison would be another, grumpy, back to the crowd.....although I wouldnt say it stopped me listening to his music, I certainly wouldnt watch him gig again.

Another is Morrissey.....saw him last year. The gig itself wasnt bad; but all the adulating middle aged men there got me wondering......is this a bit silly, and is the whole Smiths thing for adolescents and not for grown ups?

Anyone else experienced this?

You have your favorite artists and if you're lucky enough to reach middle age as some day i do, you'll be there like those Morrissey fans loving it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Didn't he have to start touring again because all his money got embezzled?

Yes but it took a lot of convincing from Rob Hallett to convince him to believe there was an audience out there for him.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/entertainment/irish-tribute-gig-convinced-cohen-to-tour-again-553389.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

RHCP in the o2. I was just waiting for it to end. Had to deal with shirtless drunken aggressive idiots shouting abuse at Fool's Gold (the warmup act, who by the way were fantastic). The then mediocre performance from RHCP coupled with the still drunken shirtless idiots, who were now more shirtless and more sweaty before all chanting only the chorus to californication.

Was probably just the venue and some annoying people there who ruined it for me, but since then I can't listen to anything RHCP without thinking they owe me 75 quid.
    I actually enjoyed that gig and fools gold were pretty amazing, saw them at the phoenix park too so i wasn't expecting much but they really impressed. There was a fair amount of knackers there though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭malcolmplex

The Verve in Slane-dull as Boynewater.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

The Verve in Slane-dull as Boynewater.

Yup, that was rubbish. Actually enjoyed Robbie Williams more....!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Was that the RDS gig ? I saw them in the RDS around then - great gig but very rough crowd as I recall.

The Radiohead one I saw around 1997 was in Punchestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Punchestown was the Kid A tour in 2000, 1997 was the RDS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Punchestown was the Kid A tour in 2000, 1997 was the RDS.

Ah okay, thanks for clarification. It was on Thom Yorkes birthday, I just didn't remember the year. It was a great gig though. I went to them twice again, around 3 and 7 years after that, each gig progressively getting worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I went to see Nirvana at the RDS in 94 and they didn't show up.
    Not been to see them since.
    Pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

musicmania wrote: »
    I hope it didn't put you off the great man himself. I missed this so can't comment on it but I can tell you it was that night that Rob Hallett used to convince Leonard to go back on the road citing how well ticket sales went so for that I will be eternally grateful.

No, it didn't put me off Leonard Cohen. I subsequently went to see him in Kilmainham and the O2, both of which were exceptional shows. The difference is that Leonard is a class act, with a genuine humility and a connection to his audience, whereas the bulk of the ragtag bunch on stage that night were a mixture of charlatans, non-entities and half-interested performers.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I haven't been to many bad gigs (have just been lucky I guess!) but the few that have been bad were usually because of the venue or the crowd, rather than the band. There was the gig where two idiots started hitting me from behind for an hour, the one where I'd fallen badly on the way there and then got a migraine, the one where we missed out on pit-bands because the security guard ushered us through the wrong door and we ended up right at the back...

Having said that, I saw The Coronas at the Trinity Ball and they were awful. They were really boring - played their only good song early on and the rest of the set just sounded the same. The crowd were terrible ("agitated" is the best word, people kept moving places non-stop) and, to top it off, it was an outdoor gig and it was only about 2 degrees out! I was never a Coronas fan anyway, but that gig completely turned me off them, I wouldn't even give them a chance after that.

Also, I saw Elliot Minor six times as a teenager (they just came to Ireland a lot, they were never my favourite band!) and the last show was horrible. It was really obvious that they'd lost all interest in it and they didn't interact with the crowd at all (didn't even play an encore). I was going off them at the time anyway and that gig sealed it - I can't remember the last time I listened to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Radiohead in Marley Park a few years back. Just awful. Only really been able to listen to them again recently

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Supergrass - ok they are finished now but saw them in the ambassador probably 6-7 years ago. The drummer just didnt give a damn and just walked off the stage without acknowledging the crowd which annoyed me for some reason.

Ian Brown - saw him in the ambassador a good few years back and he was just picking fights with a few audience members. Add to the fact that he literally cannot sing and you end up thinking why are you paying money to see him perform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Supergrass - ok they are finished now but saw them in the ambassador probably 6-7 years ago. The drummer just didnt give a damn and just walked off the stage without acknowledging the crowd which annoyed me for some reason.

Ian Brown - saw him in the ambassador a good few years back and he was just picking fights with a few audience members. Add to the fact that he literally cannot sing and you end up thinking why are you paying money to see him perform?
    Heard about that Iain Brown gig. It's his scumbaggery that made me not go to the recent Stone Roses gug, dispite really liking them years ago.

Here is footage of a different gig:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,154 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I decided myself a long time ago after a Dire Straits show in London not to get tickets to aging rockers, its a bit like having family with terminal illness, better to remember them as they were, not as they are. Springsteen is a notable exception, he is the opposite of going through the motions.

That said, Radiohead in Malahide Castle was dreadful, although it was the unsuitable venue as much as anything else, Clapton awful there as well, even though the rain shorted most of the electrics. Malahide probably just a rubbish venue

Axl Rose and Co in the O2 that time a few years ago, what a genuine pr*ck he is, I wouldnt give him 10 more cents to save his life. And dont anyone come back at me saying it was a rock and roll show what should i expect, plenty of rock stars show basic respect to the people who pay a lot of money to see them.

On the mention of Dire Straits I've seen Mark Knopfler in concert twice, the first time he was a right prick, very grouchy and stopping mid songs to tell people to stop taking photographs.
    2nd time was a freebie as no way was I gonna pay but I do love the music so for free I tried again and even though he was crippled with back pain he was the complete opposite and way better attitude. It shows sometimes they do have off days but seriously anyone who we pay to see should leave the attitude at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Supergrass - ok they are finished now but saw them in the ambassador probably 6-7 years ago. The drummer just didnt give a damn and just walked off the stage without acknowledging the crowd which annoyed me for some reason.?

Great band and have been great everytime I'v seen them, but yes, the drummer is a complete tit. Was talking to him after a gig once, came across as a complete tool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I saw their last Irish gig (I think) in the Academy and they were great, although whether the drummer was still a tit or not, I can't say... :D

• Advertisement

I'm amazed no one here has commented on Axl Rose live :D

musicmania wrote: »
    I'm amazed no one here has commented on Axl Rose live :D
    They did; in post four above yours.

They did; in post four above yours.

Duh. I'm blind. No harm to highlight what a prick he is ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Tindersticks at Electric Picnic in 2008. I just wasnt in the form for them. I love their stuff, but i think i needed to dance like a luncatic, rather than beard stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

ac/dc.... with the blizzards as support... yeah; even the blizzards where better then them all round.

Guns n roses at download in 06 i think it was where brilliant, all be it 20 minutes late i still got to meet and greet the band and ax7 or whatever their called got boo'd off...

seen maiden in the same year who were quite boring; manson put on a pretty good act before hand though...

stereophonics ive always liked by some unknown reason their music is fine but kelly jones's attitude annoys the fupp outta me. Still like their tunes though.

That reminds me of when I saw the Saw Doctors live. Wasn't a fan or anything, but wow I really hated them. The Blizzards supported them too, and they were very good live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Red Hot Chilli Peppers a few years ago. It was the worst show I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Saw W.A.S.P in Belfast in the early 90s they were woeful
    Still have the guiter pick that Blackey Lawless gave me though

• Registered Users Posts: 30 karr3

The Verve in the Point back in the 90's..dreadful..Richard Ashcroft was more interested in dancing barefoot on his rug..left early...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

They were appalling when I saw them in slane. As were Manic Street Preachers that time. Only bad gig I've seen them do and it was atrocious.

Advertisement