Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closest Beach?

• 27-07-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭

Just wondering what the closest beach is to Limerick? Seeing as the weather is good today I though I might as well head to the beach.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I usally head to Spanish Point or Fanore but if it's just a swim you could head to Killaloe or Dromore Lake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Lahinch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Timewaster

"Sandy Beach" in UL.

Or Killaloe/Ballina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

Thanks guys. I wouldn't regard Killaloe a beach from what I've seen of it. I think Lahinch will be my destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Timewaster

JohnnyQuid wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I wouldn't regard Killaloe a beach from what I've seen of it. I think Lahinch will be my destination.

Agree. For me, a beach does not belong on a lake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Poor man's Kilkee....:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

If you like a busy beach - Lahinch. Personally I would go the extra bit to Spanish Point there is more space, more sand and its more relaxed.

Used to go to Dromore lake but after a few of the cars parked there were broken into we gave it up.

If its just a swim and you are in the city the canal in Ardnacrusha is nice. Water is clean. They do turn on the turbines it creates a current so it is at your own risk. Stay the far side of the bridge (opposite side to the plant) and you will be fine. ONLY swim in Ardnacrusha if you are a competent swimmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

wingnut wrote: »
    If you like a busy beach - Lahinch. Personally I would go the extra bit to Spanish Point there is more space, more sand and its more relaxed.

Used to go to Dromore lake but after a few of the cars parked there were broken into we gave it up.

If its just a swim and you are in the city the canal in Ardnacrusha is nice. Water is clean. They do turn on the turbines it creates a current so it is at your own risk. Stay the far side of the bridge (opposite side to the plant) and you will be fine. ONLY swim in Ardnacrusha if you are a competent swimmer.

And if you want to be fined for swimming where it is not allowed. :p

With yesterday being the 85th anniversary, the area could have quite a few people out there today, so simmers would have a good chance of being spotted by someone official.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Dromore in clare, or dromore in Limerick?
    Is the Dromore castle in Limerick on private property? Looks cool in the photo's I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

langdang wrote: »
    Is the Dromore castle in Limerick on private property? Looks cool in the photo's I've seen.

Dromore Lake where the castle is out by Pallaskenry.
    That castle was used for the movie High Spirits :)

OP if you are on the Dooradoyle side Ballybunion has a beautiful beach and is an hours drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Can you wander in there (Dromore) at leisure, or is it private property via someones house?

Can you wander in there (Dromore) at leisure, or is it private property via someones house?

Its a few years since I have been out there but if i recall correctly you have to cross over/through a farm or someones private land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

This has to be the most dangerous advice Ive seen. Its illegal to swim there because of the current,for a good reason. You can get dragged under and drown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Spanish Point is by far the closest.You can be there in 45 minutes from Limerick.Lahinch is a bit further away but there's better facilities and then there's Fanore which is about an hour 20 minutes from Limerick.

Chavways wrote: »
    Spanish Point is by far the closest.You can be there in 45 minutes from Limerick.Lahinch is a bit further away but there's better facilities and then there's Fanore which is about an hour 20 minutes from Limerick.

Is that 45 mins from Shannon, County Limerick?

amiable wrote: »
    Is that 45 mins from Shannon, County Limerick?

Ennis Road

Chavways wrote: »
    Ennis Road

Within the legal speed limit?

amiable wrote: »
    Within the legal speed limit?

Possibly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

It's always the Clare side for me Quilty , Spanish Point or Lahinch but I always thought that Ballybunion was the closest beach , distance wise , to Limerick ...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The docks would be perfect for setting up a baths situation like they had in Corbally! So much water based activities could be done with that site!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

JohnnyQuid wrote: »

That's why I listed two beaches and then metioned the 2 lakes and said if you only want a swim ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

jonski wrote: »
    It's always the Clare side for me Quilty , Spanish Point or Lahinch but I always thought that Ballybunion was the closest beach , distance wise , to Limerick ...........

Haven't been to ballybunion in years but always thought it was like an hour and halves drive from Limerick.

Spanish Point is probably the nearest, you would get to miltown malbay in about 45 minutes and spanish point is two minutes by car from there.

Its a beautiful place allright. The water is deep so it was always great on a hot day to dive head first imto the lake from one of the rocky outcrops.

You can get some shady characters using the place.

Anyone go swimming in Lough Gur? The CC warn against it because of Algae Bloom but some sides of the lake are free from weeds and the Algae yet noone seems to swim there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

lake swimming, I find, is more dangerous than sea swimming. Probably sounds odd........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Jesus don't swim in loch gur its poisonous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mc Love wrote: »
    The docks would be perfect for setting up a baths situation like they had in Corbally! So much water based activities could be done with that site!

Water quality would be an issue tbh.

Advertisement