Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching AIB branch after closure of my own branch

Options
  • 27-07-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

I have just found out that my AIB Branch in Donegal is closing in early 2013. I don't live there anymore but I have always been daunted by the thought of opening a new account where I live now as I am paid on a weekly basis/have regular direct debits coming out and can't afford for there to be delays. Is there any easy way of staying with AIB?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

jenn1984 wrote: »
    I have just found out that my AIB Branch in Donegal is closing in early 2013. I don't live there anymore but I have always been daunted by the thought of opening a new account where I live now as I am paid on a weekly basis/have regular direct debits coming out and can't afford for there to be delays. Is there any easy way of staying with AIB?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

They will probably move your account to the nearest remaining branch. It happened to me before and I kept using the same account number and sort code with no real hassle. Maybe give them a ring and ask them what they will do with your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

There should be no change to your sort code or account number so no need to change direct debits etc. Has happened before when the Rathmines branch closed, think they were all just transferred to Ranelagh. minimum hassle fo rthe customer. But as the previous poster said ring them just to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

My BOI Dublin city centre branch closed and my a/c was moved to a nearby branch, I kept the a/c number and sort code. I eventually started using the new branch code though I don't think they ever told me I needed to. The old branch sort code always worked so on their computer systems they basically merged the old branch into the new one.

In summary: apart from the obvious physical relocation if you want to pay them a visit, you won't have to do anything.

You can check which branch your own branch is being merged with here, this is a PDF download or you can just 'open' as it's only two pages....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0727/aibclosures.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed, you don't have to do a thing if you don't want to. Your existing sort code and account number won't change, so in that respect it is business as usual. The branch building itself is closing, that's all. The business of the branch continues in its new home.

This is not uncommon: for example, AIB had 3 branches on Dublin's O'Connell St up to a few years ago. 2 are now closed, and merged with the 3rd. The customers of the 2 closed branches still use the same sort codes and account numbers as they did when their old physical branches were open without difficulty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement