Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Irish date... festival appearance

Options
  • 27-07-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭

Don't you just hate it when a band you like come to Ireland but play a festival instead of a regular gig?

Like, Sigur Ros are playing Electric Picnic in August. Now, I'm not going to Electric Picnic, I can't afford the tickets, I'm not travelling that far, and I'm not staying in a tent.

But I would like to see Sigur Ros, especially on this tour. Why couldn't they just play a night in the Olympia or something? Who's fault is this? The promoters offering them more money to play at the festival than they'd earn from their own gig?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Ireland isn't the only country that they're just doing a festival date for.

http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/tour/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Patti Smith too. And Wilco at Forbidden Fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Who's to say they won't return at a later stage for a headline gig? Not saying it's definitely in the pipeline, but they've only started touring again, and EP is a good festival for them to play.

Sometimes acts will not be performing in your most desired capacity... that's the nature of live music, whether it be they play festivals over gigs, play a city farther away from you, play as support and not as a headline act, etc. I will say though, in the case of Electric Picnic, it's a shame they still have no infrastructure in place for day tickets for folks like the OP who just want to see one or a few bands on the Friday or Saturday (though I don't know if that is something you would consider if it were available).

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Maybe bands sometimes come here to festivals to test the waters, if the gig goes well they would usually return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Hate it when that happens.

Blur, Pulp and The Strokes all spring to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

It's a sickner when this happens alright. The worst one for me was when Magnolia Electric Co. played Electric Picnic a few years ago. You couldn't buy day tickets back then and there was no other band on the bill that I wanted to see. I love them but I'm not paying 200 bucks or whatever it is to see one band.

Advertisement