Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nononsense make no sense. Incurred 50 euro charge for nothing.

Options
  • 27-07-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place. I recently needed to insure a 2nd car which came into my possession through unfortunate circumstances (a sudden bereavement). I had no idea of the ins and outs of doing this and got a quote online from nononsense.ie which seemed reasonable enough at 165euro for 3rd party fire and theft. I have over 6 years no claims bonus and lots of driving experience which I stupidly thought (assumed) would stand in my favour. As this car is not even currently being driven, I didn't want to fork out a small fortune in insurance as I'll more than likely be getting rid of it in next few months.

Anyway, I paid by credit card for the policy, they emailed me out the forms and I had to retun the forms signed with a letter proving my no claims. All of this I did (in good faith) and assumed I was still not insured until all was complete. Following day I received a phone call from them telling me that there was an issue with my application. I told them the purpose of taking out this policy and they explained to me (which I now know) that you can't carry over your no claims bonus on an existing policy. This I had not known until then. So I would have been applying basically as a brand new driver which I was told they did not accept. All of this was fine with me and I'd no problem not going ahead with them until the agent told me I would incur a 50 euro cancellation fee for 'cancelling my policy'. I immediately pointed out that I wasn't cancelling, they were in fact denying me. She then said she'd speak to the underwriter, came back to me and said they'd make an exception this once and quoted me an astronomical amount which I'd no choice but to refuse.

I have been refunded what I paid them minus 50 euro and quite frankly I'm more than a bit annoyed. I sent them an email early this week complaining but have had no acknowledgement and feel I will get nowhere. It appears they are same as FBD.ie as that is my card transaction. Has anybody else had this happen to them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

You may want to get in touch with the Central Bank, who regulate all financial & insurance businesses. They might be able to offer some advice in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

It is correct that you can only "cash in" a NCB once, you can not straddle an NCB between 2 policies, but what I would argue is that it does not seem to say that on their site, nor their T&C's or terms of business from what I can see.

The say they take a 50 charge if the info given to them is incorrect you could argue that it does not state their policy on NCB's online?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭missjm

jameshayes wrote: »
    It is correct that you can only "cash in" a NCB once, you can not straddle an NCB between 2 policies, but what I would argue is that it does not seem to say that on their site, nor their T&C's or terms of business from what I can see.

The say they take a 50 charge if the info given to them is incorrect you could argue that it does not state their policy on NCB's online?

Thanks James, this is very true. I also have since gained insurance with a company who allowed me to mirror my NCB so while it is rare, it is possible.

I'm very annoyed they have not even acknowledged my email so will be drafting up a more indepth complaint over the weekend. If I had been trying to pull the wool over their eyes or had taken out insurance, then a week later cancelled it - well then I would suck it up and accept it.

Just to update - I have just had a call from nononsense.ie and they are going to refund me the money they took as a cancellation charge. They were polite, apologetic and very civil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Just wondering that if you took out the policy online or over the phone then wouldn't you have a 14 day cooling off period?

I insured a car last week over the phone and like the OP paid full in advance. The lady did tell me I had 14 days whereby I could cancel and receive a full refund. I assumed distance selling regulation rule at the time. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Yawns wrote: »
    Just wondering that if you took out the policy online or over the phone then wouldn't you have a 14 day cooling off period?

I insured a car last week over the phone and like the OP paid full in advance. The lady did tell me I had 14 days whereby I could cancel and receive a full refund. I assumed distance selling regulation rule at the time. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this?

7 by law.

Yip, as OP says - 7 days to produce all relevant documentation and evidence. A very nice crowd in Dundalk contacted me and managed to get me insurance where I can mirror my NCB but I have 7 days to provide all relevant documentation.
    Just back to the previous insurance company - there is no 'cooling off' period with them. So depends who you went with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

No missjm it's a 7 days to change your mind and cancel if you wish. Not just for producing documents. You could pay for the policy and send documents the same day in post and then change your mind 2 days later if you wished. I thought 14 but I stand corrected at 7, thank you.

There are some exceptions such as private sales, concert and hotel tickets and such. Once it's over phone or internet you have 7 days to change your mind for a full refund. So eg: eircom broadband ordered could be cancelled with 7 days. Same with insurance. I was told 14 days but that seems to be a major exception or an error.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/online-shopping/returning-unwanted-goods/index_en.htm

so if you had cancelled with 7 days you were entitled to full refund and no charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 xxxlouy13xxx

missjm wrote: »
    Forgive me if this is in the wrong place. I recently needed to insure a 2nd car which came into my possession through unfortunate circumstances (a sudden bereavement). I had no idea of the ins and outs of doing this and got a quote online from nononsense.ie which seemed reasonable enough at 165euro for 3rd party fire and theft. I have over 6 years no claims bonus and lots of driving experience which I stupidly thought (assumed) would stand in my favour. As this car is not even currently being driven, I didn't want to fork out a small fortune in insurance as I'll more than likely be getting rid of it in next few months.

Anyway, I paid by credit card for the policy, they emailed me out the forms and I had to retun the forms signed with a letter proving my no claims. All of this I did (in good faith) and assumed I was still not insured until all was complete. Following day I received a phone call from them telling me that there was an issue with my application. I told them the purpose of taking out this policy and they explained to me (which I now know) that you can't carry over your no claims bonus on an existing policy. This I had not known until then. So I would have been applying basically as a brand new driver which I was told they did not accept. All of this was fine with me and I'd no problem not going ahead with them until the agent told me I would incur a 50 euro cancellation fee for 'cancelling my policy'. I immediately pointed out that I wasn't cancelling, they were in fact denying me. She then said she'd speak to the underwriter, came back to me and said they'd make an exception this once and quoted me an astronomical amount which I'd no choice but to refuse.

I have been refunded what I paid them minus 50 euro and quite frankly I'm more than a bit annoyed. I sent them an email early this week complaining but have had no acknowledgement and feel I will get nowhere. It appears they are same as FBD.ie as that is my card transaction. Has anybody else had this happen to them?

Hi MissJM

My friend had the same issue with No Nonsense this morning so I googled it to see if it had happened anyone else. Can you tell me who you needed to contact to get your money refunded? He was told they had set up a policy for him but then had to cancel it only a couple minutes later after completing all their checks yet still took 50e from his account i didn't think this was legal.

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Who is the company who allows you to use the same NCB on two cars?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

Horrible company with awful adverts.

Hi MissJM

My friend had the same issue with No Nonsense this morning so I googled it to see if it had happened anyone else. Can you tell me who you needed to contact to get your money refunded? He was told they had set up a policy for him but then had to cancel it only a couple minutes later after completing all their checks yet still took 50e from his account i didn't think this was legal.

Thanks a mill

I sent an email to customer care at the time. Whatever email address was on their website. I had no comeback for days and weirdly got a call and outcome approx. 1 hour after posting on boards. I also received an apology letter a few weeks later so kudos where it's due. I'm just sorry to hear they haven't changed this 'rule'

ravima wrote: »
    Who is the company who allows you to use the same NCB on two cars?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed say here.. am I?

I'll send you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

No missjm it's a 7 days to change your mind and cancel if you wish. Not just for producing documents. You could pay for the policy and send documents the same day in post and then change your mind 2 days later if you wished. I thought 14 but I stand corrected at 7, thank you.

There are some exceptions such as private sales, concert and hotel tickets and such. Once it's over phone or internet you have 7 days to change your mind for a full refund. So eg: eircom broadband ordered could be cancelled with 7 days. Same with insurance. I was told 14 days but that seems to be a major exception or an error.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/online-shopping/returning-unwanted-goods/index_en.htm

so if you had cancelled with 7 days you were entitled to full refund and no charges.

Legally 7 is the minimum but for the sake of good PR 'most' companies give you an extra 7 days

Advertisement