Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know anyone that's Irish that doesn't like Irish music?

• 27-07-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

Things like Dubliners, Clancy Brothers, etc (not U2 or Thin Lizzy, moreso folk Irish music)
    I'm not talking about people disliking it apart from one or two songs.
    But people who wouldn't enjoy any song.

I never once came across anyone that I've met that has actually said they dislike Irish folk music.

Have you meet someone Irish that hates all Irish folk music they've listened to 117 votes

I never met anyone that hates all Irish folk music
    0% 0 votes
    I've met someone who hates all Irish folk music
    13% 16 votes
    I prefer the sounds the Atair Jaguar makes
    86% 101 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Yes, lots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

can honestly say i only know a handful of people who DO like that kind of music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Eh what? I think you have that the wrong way around OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thomas20

Yes, lots

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I like a small select amount, the rest bores me to crap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Really?

I know one person who likes at least one Irish song :/

I feel like an eejit now. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I don't like any of that music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Loads, including my wife, her friends and all their friends.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Well I'm Irish and don't like any of that kinda music :pac:

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I can't stand it and neither can most of my friends (who are culchies too). It's the most god awful repetitive ****e I've ever heard.
    And I'm fine with hating it. I don't feel any less irish. It's like expecting every swiss person to like yodeling.

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Well I'm Irish and don't like any of that kinda music :pac:

Nick

You've never heard one song you enjoy? At all?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Guessing you're not a South Dublin dweller, OP?! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

I wouldn't know anyone either who doesn't like at least one.

Diapason wrote: »

Nope, north inner city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

Everone I know likes at least 2 or 3 irish songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Old men with beards in wooly jumpers singing songs of misery & despair about people starving in the famine, being killed by Brits, and having to leave Ireland for America.

Sure what's not to like?

Nope, living in temple bar for a few years probably didn't help either, whiskey in a jaarrr.... As someone said above I find it repetitive and just not my kind of music, prefare pop/dance music myself

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

That's a fairly broad way of looking at liking a style, just liking one song in a particular style. One can appreciate a song in a style, but as a general thing dislike that style. I'd say if people were honest and were exposed to enough variety within each style they'd find at least one song in every type of music that they can appreciate on some level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Diddly eye!

My son plays in a trad Ceili band. I'd better like it. :pac:

I like most types of music. /shrugs

Nope, living in temple bar for a few years probably didn't help either, whiskey in a jaarrr.... As someone said above I find it repetitive and just not my kind of music, prefare pop/dance music myself

Nick

I'm not having a go at all

I'm just genuinely curious because I can think of at least one song people like (not one particular song, but everyone I know likes at least one song).

So you think it's the fact you've been forced to endure it so long you just hate it?
    Pushtrak wrote: »
    That's a fairly broad way of looking at liking a style, just liking one song in a particular style. One can appreciate a song in a style, but as a general thing dislike that style. I'd say if people were honest and were exposed to enough variety within each style they'd find at least one song in every type of music that they can appreciate on some level.

That's what I meant. I mean as a genre, I hate most rap music but I like one or two songs.

I've never met an Irish person that hates every Irish song they listened to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone must like Sharon Shannon and the way she smiles while reeling in the reels for hours and hours and hours while hardy men in serious jumpers look on sternly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I can't stand Irish Trad/Country & Western hybred (or inbred more like) music, and what's presented to tourists as 'real' Irish trad music in Killarney. Fairly p*ss poor standard of live music there in general.
    Also, TOO FRIGGING LOUD! Whats it with playing with amps in smallish pubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I'd say if people were honest and were exposed to enough variety within each style they'd find at least one song in every type of music that they can appreciate on some level.

That doesn't apply to country music, folk music, barbershop quartets, anything played on the spoons, christian music, emo music and The Script.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I have loads of friends that hate it, I like it though, great fun to play live

I don't mind this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I fooking love it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I never once came across anyone that I've met that has actually said they dislike Irish folk music.

You have now. I never listen to it as it's never really appealed to me.

Grayson wrote: »

I don't mind this

What in the name of divine beings was that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

you have to be drunk to enjoy it...

that tells a story in itself :P

• Advertisement

You have now. I never listen to it as it's never really appealed to me.

I'm talking about one song. You've never heard one song you liked at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

shaneb92 wrote: »
    Everone I know likes at least 2 or 3 irish songs

there's loads of great irish music, but the question was specifically about irish folk

I'm not having a go at all

I'm just genuinely curious because I can think of at least one song people like (not one particular song, but everyone I know likes at least one song).

So you think it's the fact you've been forced to endure it so long you just hate it?

Well tbh of all that type of music (genre) and songs I've heard I would never say that I liked any of them. I don't like rap music either but I do like a few grime artists which is quite similar to rap. I don't like classical music either although do like that gladiator now that we are free song.
    I'm sure I've heard many of the dubliners and similar songs and just don't like any, with a few pints in and in a pub with that kinda music live it might be different (wouldn't say like the music but the athmosphere)

Nick

Helix wrote: »
    there's loads of great irish music, but the question was specifically about irish folk

Maybe I got it a bit mixed up but I thought Irish folk was the "traditional" stuff like Dubliners, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Have to say I love the dubliners and irish music in general, but I'd be on my own with that....my friends hate it. My family are big into it to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Old men with beards in wooly jumpers singing songs of misery & despair about people starving in the famine, being killed by Brits, and having to leave Ireland for America.

Sure what's not to like?

The senior band associated with my son's group is comprised entirely of men and women in their 20s. There isn't one wooly jumper, beard or ugly amongst them. The drummer in particular is unbelievably hot.

The music they play is all lively jigs and reels. Even if you're tone deaf you'd be tapping your foot after a minute or two.

• Advertisement

I'm sure I've heard many of the dubliners and similar songs and just don't like any, with a few pints in and in a pub with that kinda music live it might be different (wouldn't say like the music but the athmosphere)

Nick

Maybe that's it. I suppose people like it for the athmosphere sort of "cheery" thing with songs about death, famine and invasions mixed with jaunty tunes.

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Have to say I love the dubliners and irish music in general, but I'd be on my own with that....my friends hate it. My family are big into it to be fair.

You'll do for me :D

Can't beat an ould Sunday morning sing song with yourself, lying in the cot when you are hungover!

I have been known to sing a tune or two up the local when my larynx is suitably lubricated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

i cant actually listen to much other music than trad music. I cant get enough of it.

That includes folk and ballads.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Wiggles88

I like one or two folk songs but 99% of it sounds the exact same to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Why do you ask that?

• Advertisement

What in the name of divine beings was that?!

Now i feel old.

Check out "asshole" and "life's going to suck".
    Then start a thread about him and watch it get evicerated by Bill Hicks fans :)

Honestly though, I find that particular song more entertaining than 99.99% of traditional irish music.

Grayson wrote: »
    Now i feel old.

Check out "asshole" and "life's going to suck".
    Then start a thread about him and watch it get evicerated by Bill Hicks fans :)

Honestly though, I find that particular song more entertaining than 99.99% of traditional irish music.

I know who he is and what have you.

I just... never heard anything like that in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

it would never be my first choice of music but that doesn't mean i dislike it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

I dont like Irish music.

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Why do you ask that?

Playing on stereotypes for rather lame comic effect.

Although I do know many people who reside in the south Dublin area who would claim to hate all trad.

Playing on stereotypes for rather lame comic effect.

Although I do know many people who reside in the south Dublin area who would claim to hate all trad.

And only on the south side would you find them.
    We kicked them outta the northern side for not being patriotic and drunkely singing whiskey in the jar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Can't bate a few lively rebel tunes

Heretics! :mad:

:p

We kicked them outta the northern side for not being patriotic and drunkely singing whiskey in the jar!

Exactly! And as you kicked us up the arse, you couldn't help but notice our Union Jack boxers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭scotchy

I am, and I like the music.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement
Advertisement