Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know anyone that's Irish that doesn't like Irish music?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

it all sounds the same
    random accordion sounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Diapason wrote: »
    Exactly! And as you kicked us up the arse, you couldn't help but notice our Union Jack boxers.

And ironically once we kicked you out of the real Dublin, we hate a great influx of racist skangers that enjoy gangster rap.

Strange how that works.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Diddly eye!

My son plays in a trad Ceili band. I'd better like it. :pac:

I like most types of music. /shrugs
    Haha, I play trad and it drives my mom and dad mad!

I'm banned from playing it in the car now...

Anyway on topic, I know a couple of Irish people who don't like folk/trad. Don't understand them myself, it's fantastic music. I was reading an interview yesterday with box/guitar player Tim Edey who had a mental breakdown in his teenage years. He said the best medicine was Sharon Shannon's first album - that says it all really. It's mainly happy, uplifting music, with a few heart-breaking slow airs for good measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

brummytom wrote: »
    Haha, I play trad and it drives my mom and dad mad!

I'm banned from playing it in the car now...

Tom, playing songs about how the English slaughtered the Irish and how the English are generally bad people while being in England would not be the smartest idea.

I think your parents are just trying to not be hung up in the village square is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

My sister. She seems to hate everything Irish really.

I can't stand The Dubliners myself. It seems like the kind of music you have to be drunk to enjoy. I used to hate Dirty Old Town until I heard another version of it by The Ian Campbell Folk Group (who are British) that brings out the subtleties of the lyrics, rather than the way Ronnie Drew shouts them. I'm not saying it's bad music, it just doesn't appeal to me.

I tend to listen to less shouty Irish music like Clannad, or instrumental music.

It may not be politically correct but I do like some of the old IRA songs. This is a great CD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

it all sounds the same
    random accordion sounds

i cant understand how people say that lol. they clearly havent listened to it much.

The crap i hear on FM104 every bleedin morning all sounds the same.. i love you i love you i miss you baby fúckin bollox..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

neil_hosey wrote: »
    The crap i hear on FM104 every bleedin morning all sounds the same.. i love you i love you i miss you baby fúckin bollox..

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I can't stand Irish Trad/Country & Western hybred (or inbred more like) music, and what's presented to tourists as 'real' Irish trad music in Killarney. Fairly p*ss poor standard of live music there in general.
    Also, TOO FRIGGING LOUD! Whats it with playing with amps in smallish pubs?
    I don't know what it is about Irish pubs, it doesn't matter what music their playing they play it too loud. It's so loud you can't talk to anybody and not even the equipment can handle the volumes, I'll walk out of a pub when I see someone setting up for music. Most Irish pubs do play that god awful country/folk/trad. It's awful muck. I do however like proper trad music, especially the bodhran. This guys a genius with the bodhran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Trad is good for the soul

Ballad groups are grand too, in moderation

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know what it is about Irish pubs, it doesn't matter what music their playing they play it too loud. It's so loud you can't talk to anybody and not even the equipment can handle the volumes, I'll walk out of a pub when I see someone setting up for music. Most Irish pubs do play that god awful country/folk/trad. It's awful muck. I do however like proper trad music, especially the bodhran. This guys a genius with the bodhran.

John-Joe is an absolutely amazing player, lovely bloke too. I played/drank with him at a social club just outside Brum a few months back, until 8 in the morning. Brilliant night. He's a great banjo player too.
    Tom, playing songs about how the English slaughtered the Irish and how the English are generally bad people while being in England would not be the smartest idea.

I think your parents are just trying to not be hung up in the village square is all.

Doesn't make them any less true!

I can't stand The Dubliners myself. It seems like the kind of music you have to be drunk to enjoy. I used to hate Dirty Old Town until I heard another version of it by The Ian Campbell Folk Group (who are British) that brings out the subtleties of the lyrics, rather than the way Ronnie Drew shouts them. I'm not saying it's bad music, it just doesn't appeal to me.

I love the Dubliners but I'd have to agree there (though it was Luke's song, not Ronnie's). Liam Clancy sings it much more how it should sound. Ian Campbell's a fantastic singer, and actually taught Luke Kelly how to sing while living in Birmingham. His kids are Ali and Robin Campbell (UB40) which I've always found weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

A very small amount of it is good. I hate the rest. I dont think I know anybody who likes it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

So would these people who claim to like it go out and buy cds of gypsy or Balkan music or polkas or mazurkas which are similiar (and way better musically IMO?) Of course not-they only like it because of the Irish penchant for self-aggrandising bullsh1t. "O'Connell St is the widest Street in Europe; Irish is a beautiful language; hurling's the fastest game in the world; Daniel Day Lewis is Irish etc."
    Stop thinking and acting like peasants-it's the reason the country's so sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

latenia wrote: »
    So would these people who claim to like it go out and buy cds of gypsy or Balkan music or polkas or mazurkas which are similiar (and way better musically IMO?) Of course not-they only like it because of the Irish penchant for self-aggrandising bullsh1t. "O'Connell St is the widest Street in Europe; Irish is a beautiful language; hurling's the fastest game in the world; Daniel Day Lewis is Irish etc."
    No, I don't buy CDs, what kind of weirdo still buys CDs?

One Killa album covers most of the trad music from around the world, so I just listen to them. It saves loads of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Trad is not the same thing as folk. I've been a trad musician for 20 years and I couldn't play you a Dubliner's song.

Operative phrase. It's your opinion, nothing else.

Some people like Irish music and not gypsy jazz. They're not the same at all, one can like one and not the other. If you think people's musical tastes are dictated by nationality, you're very wrong. I play regularly with an Italian woman and a French man, both of whom enjoy the music. Not because they want to be Irish, but because it's good music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Operative phrase. It's your opinion, nothing else.

Some people like Irish music and not gypsy jazz. They're not the same at all, one can like one and not the other. If you think people's musical tastes are dictated by nationality, you're very wrong. I play regularly with an Italian woman and a French man, both of whom enjoy the music. Not because they want to be Irish, but because it's good music.

refer to the first line of the above reply

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

No, I don't buy CDs, what kind of weirdo still buys CDs?

I do. I'm aware that makes me a freak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

One Killa album covers most of the trad music from around the world, so I just listen to them. It saves loads of time.

I presume you mean Kila and I pray you're being ironic-it's like owning a Vanilla Ice album and claiming to be a hip-hop fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Im sure ur looking for a reaction with a comment like that.

I like trad music because of the variety of styles, instrumental, singing irish and english. The music makes me happy. The lyrics in the songs have meaning, and if you think im talking about RA songs, or anything even related to england, you havent a clue what ur talking about. Many folk songs sung in ireland are of english, scottish, welsh and irish origin. I could name maybe 50 off hand now that arent irish but are sung regularly at sessions.

There is no aggrandising involved, the songs, in my opinion are FAR superior to what i hear in nightclubs, on the radio, bands in feckin pubs, both lyrically and musically.

If i see a band setting up in a pub in town with full bass, drum kit and electric guitar, I leave.

And NO, I dont buy CD's... i sit in on sessions, live music!

theres alot plenty of polkas and mazurkas played at sessions, irish and foreign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As long as it's not the Wolfe Tones, jasus, they're shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Im sure ur looking for a reaction with a comment like that.

I like trad music because of the variety of styles, instrumental, singing irish and english. The music makes me happy. The lyrics in the songs have meaning, and if you think im talking about RA songs, or anything even related to england, you havent a clue what ur talking about. Many folk songs sung in ireland are of english, scottish, welsh and irish origin. I could name maybe 50 off hand now that arent irish but are sung regularly at sessions.

There is no aggrandising involved, the songs, in my opinion are FAR superior to what i hear in nightclubs, on the radio, bands in feckin pubs, both lyrically and musically.

If i see a band setting up in a pub in town with full bass, drum kit and electric guitar, I leave.

And NO, I dont buy CD's... i sit in on sessions, live music!

theres alot plenty of polkas and mazurkas played at sessions, irish and foreign.
    I love trad sessions in pubs, but my pet hate is when they plug into amps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Biggins wrote: »
    I like a small select amount, the rest bores me to crap!
    This. I do like the sound of the unaccompanied uilleann pipes playing slow airs, haunting ain't in it, but personally find the jigs and reels, the usual "diddly eye" Irish music found in pubs and such very repetitive. I've tried to tune my ear to it, but I find it hard to discern much of a diff between songs, never mind changes within the same song.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

I play regularly with an Italian woman and a French man

Ooooooh Matron!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Old men with beards in wooly jumpers singing songs of misery & despair about people starving in the famine, being killed by Brits, and having to leave Ireland for America.

Sure what's not to like?
    I started off listening to and playing seriously loud vicious punk, moved on gradually, and now play mostly folk/trad (though I still ocasionally for the crack belt out some Crass, Conflict or Pistols if I get my hands on an electric guitar, but not in the pub :D), I couldn't be further from the image you portray above, a great thing about folk music is it transcends age, social "classes" and even nationality.

I have never met anyone who doesn't like ANY Irish music as per the OP's criteria.

For your delectation, here is some real dance music. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I can't fcuking stand that fidddly diddly rubbish, it gives me a headache. And my Brother in Law is mad into it so I've heard every variety of it going, his wedding was absolute torture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I hate it. Smelly bogmen letting Guinness farts in a smelly little old pub talking about things that happened 60 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

MJ23 wrote: »
    I hate it. Smelly bogmen letting Guinness farts in a smelly little old pub talking about things that happened 60 years ago.

Talks 'bout turf and the GAA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I dont like a lot of it, mainly the cheesy local caoli hall type tripe. But when its done well by really good musicians it can be brilliant, like below..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Yes, but they are protestants, mostly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

i cant actually listen to much other music than trad music. I cant get enough of it.

That includes folk and ballads.
    Oh if you include folk and such in the mix then yes I'd be onboard there alright NH. Plus watching/listening to someone like Seamus Ennis on the pipes is a joy to behold, just for the pure skill involved, but in general the diddly eye stuff leaves me cold. I find it strangely bloodless in it's repetition(the fiddle in particular irritates my ear). Dunno why. Individual taste I suppose.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

hate it, actually sends me into a rage to be around it, used to work in a music shop and around tourist season we'd have to play whatever godawful collection of trad and "rebel" songs stupid tourists thought was what all Irish people listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Me. Horrible diddley nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I love Celtic Rock, a bit of trad fused with more modern influences etc.

Pure Trad, no thanks although I respect that many people do love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It depends , I like the odd tune or to but the diddly eye stuff is annoying . As somebody said ,when it's played well by good musicians it's good .I was watching a studio concert of Mark Knopfler on Sky Arts last week and he had some Irish trad musicians on banjo ,accordion and violin ,as well as a quartet of orchestral violinists ,some bluegrass mandolin players , himself + some other blues guitarists in the mix and drums .That's a nice ' musical cocktail ' to have .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

All sounds the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I think its an awful racket in general. The odd slower kinder on the ears Irish music (crying into your pint stuff) is OK. But once they get up to the tempo where people start yelping... ye-ooooooh, yeeeeeeeeeee-ah i'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

The instrumentation may not be traditionally Irish, but it's certainly a beautiful rendition of a traditional Irish song.

A brilliant song with a slight Greek twist. It shows that Trad isn't always particularly predictable in style or execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

i'm not a fan of it but i like one or two songs, not that i'd sit around listening to though.. clicked the wrong option in the poll.. i don't know of anyone who wouldn't be into at least 1 song, like the more popular ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

You'll never beat the Irish.....

Personally love Irish music, hate modern crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

I like this, actually have the whole CD of The Bothy Band...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05WqfkSm7Os

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I hate it all. As soon as someone who can actually SING starts to make folk songs, then I'll like it!
    Dubliners are terrible IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can't stand any of it, nothing worse than being at a party when some clown gets locked and starts belting out a bit of unaccompanied rebel nonsense as the room descends into some sort of respectful hush.

Load of bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh if you include folk and such in the mix then yes I'd be onboard there alright NH. Plus watching/listening to someone like Seamus Ennis on the pipes is a joy to behold, just for the pure skill involved, but in general the diddly eye stuff leaves me cold.

+1

I wouldn't be mad about trad either, but I picked up a vinyl copy of Seamus Ennis' 'The Wandering Minstrel' on ebay and it absolutely blew me away - the craft and the soul emanating from that record really was a revelation.

Bert Jansch was another who taught me folk wasn't the preserve of bearded, finger in the ears pipe-smoking warblers, but could be vital, visceral, urgent and compelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Can't stand any of it, nothing worse than being at a party when some clown gets locked and starts belting out a bit of unaccompanied rebel nonsense as the room descends into some sort of respectful hush.

Load of bollox.

I fcuking hate this as well, party going well, people in good form, some langer starts singing some miserable tune about the english being bastards or something and everyone just awkwardly stares into their drinks and the mood is killed. to everyone who's ever done this at a party, fcuk you, you clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

krudler wrote: »
    I fcuking hate this as well, party going well, people in good form, some langer starts singing some miserable tune about the english being bastards or something and everyone just awkwardly stares into their drinks and the mood is killed. to everyone who's ever done this at a party, fcuk you, you clown.

I had a red faced gombeen threaten physical violence on me one night because I failed to remain silent for the duration of his 12 minute sea shanty. Like you were saying these people tend to totally ruin the mood in the room and needlessly create tension among the young bucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

I don't like any of that music.
    I used to sing for a living and at every get together, I'd be asked sing something Irish. Just say no.
    I also can't stand those dog on a string types who like 'infuse' Irish diddley music with 'ragga ma'.
    Crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh if you include folk and such in the mix then yes I'd be onboard there alright NH. Plus watching/listening to someone like Seamus Ennis on the pipes is a joy to behold, just for the pure skill involved, but in general the diddly eye stuff leaves me cold. I find it strangely bloodless in it's repetition(the fiddle in particular irritates my ear). Dunno why. Individual taste I suppose.
    Before I started playing trad I had the same impression of it that many of the detractors have stated here, but after getting into it I developed an understanding and appreciation of it. I feel now (and this is just my own personal opinion) that to fully appreciate it you have to be able to play at least a few fast tunes.
    One thing that is very important in a session is mixing fast/slow/singing etc because too many reels/jigs/polkas just gets boring to listen to (but certainly not to play :)) some players seem to forget this and can bore the shite out of a casual audience.

What makes a huge difference, and what one or two so called "purists" I have met hate, is making arrangements "playing around" with melodies and speeds.

Below are two versions of the tune The Maids of Mitchelstown one is what I consider one of the finest arrangements of a reel I have ever heard and what is genuinely a fantastic piece of music (sit back and let the flute wash over you), the other is just what the detractors here consider all diddly eye music to be, and though their playing is very good there is nothing about the version that stands out and it reminds me of my local céili band back in my youth (or a Kerry pub because of the box :)).

*Disclaimer, appreciation of music, like beauty, is subjective that is why we have such a wonderful variety to choose from on this planet, from Mongolian Throat Singing to Death Metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I really like it. And I like the modern stuff too. Kila are one of the best bands to come out of Ireland.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I adore Irish trad and all its permutations :P I'm one of the few I know who does though. I'm a whistle player, so that's probably why I enjoy it. I'd love to learn the uilleann pipes some day - it's on the list of instruments I one day intend to be able to play . Got too many to deal with for the moment however :pac:

I must admit though, I'm not a fan of the nasal sean-nós sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I didn't have a taste for it until I was exposed to it by a mate who knew all about it. But for me it's the same with all types of music. I'm never that taken by what's on the radio. I used to think country was absolute ****e and I've been listening to more of that than anything else now.
    I really wish radio stations played better stuff across the board. I'm not in contact with my trad buddy anymore and I feel like I'm missing out on lots of music now. :( I don't have the time or the know-how to chase the good stuff down.

p.s I'm sometimes asked to sing a tune at the end of a night (generally not trad). Now I realise loads of people think I'm an arsehole. :'(
    I deserve the hushed silence mind.
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement