Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 Weeks In New Zealand In July - Too Cold??

Options
  • 27-07-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was originally planning to go to New Zealand for 3-4 weeks in February/March time next year, but I'm currently repeating my a levels to try and get into medicine/dentistry down here. I need near 4A*'s lol so under a lot of pressure and so will have about 8 exams in may/june.

I will also have 3 exams to resit for a telecommunications master I'm doing in april/may, so as you can see for me to be out of the country for 4-5 weeks (including a week in malaysia) would be a disaster for my studies and would be too long.

I'm having to think about New Zealand potentially after my exams in june, say july/august?

Now I've been to Australia early this year in january/february, lovely and warm etc I know New Zealand wouldn't be as warm anyway, but I concerned it would be too cold to do in the winter, particularly the south island?

I just can't go in the summer because of my studies so have to go in june/july/august as its the only time I can prioritise 5 weeks on my own lol. Days would be shorter etc and so worried it would effectively be a waste?

Anyone been here to New Zealand as their holiday in the winter can give me their experiances? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Depends on your definition of too cold. Lots of activities are still available at this time; it just means carrying winter clothes rather than shorts n tees.
    South island at this time should be busy with ski season around Queenstown and Mt Hutt in Canterbury. It's like going to alpine France/Austria/Switzerland in winter.
    Top of north island can be pleasant enough but it's not exactly sunbathing season.
    Just look at new Zealand weather forecast for today to give you an idea of temps.
    http://www.3news.co.nz/Weather.aspx
    The scenery can be great there in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sonny1ie

Hi OP,

I am writing from Queenstown in the South Island where today I have been wearing flip flops and a jersey, its not too cold down here in winter. At present it is 13 degrees Celsius and usually gets down to around zero at night. You need to wear a jacket going out at night and we have had temperatures down as low as -11 so far this season. I wouldn't let this put you off coming to NZ, its an amazing country, with the south island being particularly beautiful and Queenstown is packed full of activities to do which run year.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Looking at some of the temps in New Zealand right now

Kaitaia 16
    Auckland 14
    Hamilton 14
    Wellington 13
    Christchurch 12
    Dunedin 12
    Queenstown 10

Compare that to the 5 day forecast of Omagh right now:

15, 14, 16, 15, 17

Maybe it wont be too bad. The winters there don't appear to be as cold as our winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Looking at some of the temps in New Zealand right now

Kaitaia 16
    Auckland 14
    Hamilton 14
    Wellington 13
    Christchurch 12
    Dunedin 12
    Queenstown 10

Compare that to the 5 day forecast of Omagh right now:

15, 14, 16, 15, 17

Maybe it wont be too bad. The winters there don't appear to be as cold as our winters.

Re:temps
    I find Ireland can be a bit on humid side compared to south island, so if a cool southerly is blowing from Antarctic the real feel can be 2-4c cooler or more. You really feel the windchill there. Because Queenstown is surrounded by mountains, once the sun goes behind the gondola the town is in shade and can feel cold. Just bring warm clothes, layers, the usual for winter. It's much sunnier so dont forget sunnies.

Advertisement