Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is men's fashion ridiculously expernsive?

• 27-07-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

I'm not exactly talking high fashion here, more middle of the road fashion, specifically jeans. I really dislike shopping for clothes, so I tend to wander into town once or twice a year and make some purchases. So I went in this morning looking for jeans, and was gobsmacked at the prices. The first pair I looked at were a pair of Diesel jeans, and the price tag said €135. For a piece of denim!!:eek: I nearly had a heart attack. And this was in provinvial town, not Bond Street of the Champs Elysees. But fair enough, I figured you're always gonna get outliers. I moved on to other tables and stands, where the sale items were displayed. And the sales prices for jeans were uniformly between €65 and €90. For the likes of Levi and Wrangler. Even the Jack & Jones offerings were well over €50. And it seemed the same wherever I went...not just recognisable brand names, but brands I had never even heard of before. Aren't such prices a tad excessive for what are essentially mass produced comfort wear?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think unless you opt for chain store own brand clothing, you will find branded clothing higher than you would like almost everywhere. Not sure if this is much different for womenswear. This is why TK Maxx is great for finding (with patience) good looking, quality, heavily discounted branded clothing. I've got numerous pairs of designer jeans that look and fit great for under €30 that would have priced for €70+. Likewise with tops.

Maybe now that the summer sales are on, you can pick up a bargain or two in the stores that normally charge a premium. Bear in mind, a lot of stores for their sales only discount tat or hideous stuff that no-one wanted or would pay full price for during non sale times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

try pennies??mayb not middle of the road like u said your lookin for but sometimes you can get a decent lookin pair of jeans for about 20 - 25 euro

tk max also good as previously mentioned..

you could also go into stores when the sales are on if you only go in a couple times of the year.. i went into town on boxing day last year and got 3 pairs of jeans for around 30 euro each,all reduced from between 50 - 80 euro..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Being a guy, I tend to agree. Well, I mean first off you went to Diesel. That is a high end brand so you should expect high end prices.

What I agree on though is I feel women have a lot more catered to them like in Penneys or whatnot. The selection for the price is always so much vaster than it is for men, so we have to stick to other places like River Island/Topman and the like which can be pricey.

They always seem to have knock off prices or shops, like shoes. I'm trying to get a pair of creepers, I can find cheap versions online but only in womens sizes so I have to sadly shell out the full whack to get a pair.

It's annoying but I have sadly gotten used too it at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

A lot of the time, you get what you pay for. I have bought lots of tshirts from penneys and dunnes, that have turned into rags after a few months. They are great for jocks and socks though.

I have bought Diesel jeans and Gstar combats over the years, and they were expensive, but lasted me for years. I got over 5 years out of the combats, and still have the Diesel ones about 3 years later, and they are still like new....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

YES. I'm a girl and a student so I'm always broke, and so I rarely buy anything over about €25 for myself, but have seen from shopping for my boyfriend that guys high street stuff is very expensive. He'll typically pay about 50 or 60 for a pair of jeans, whereas I'll get a whole outfit for that. Can understand totally why guy's wardrobes are so much smaller than girls'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

135 is ridiciruosy dear for a pair of jeans, is there really that much diference between the dear pair and a pair for 20 or 30? Theirs better things to be spending big money on, dunnes do have nice pairs for about 25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

135 is ridiciruosy dear for a pair of jeans, is there really that much diference between the dear pair and a pair for 20 or 30? Theirs better things to be spending big money on, dunnes do have nice pairs for about 25.

Fit, better quality material, longer lasting.

Advertisement